Aksles

Timeline question

From what I've heard, since the start of WotLK it's been 5 years. 3 years since the LK died, and during that 3 years they did the reconstuctions. And from what I've heard and seen, the Shattering happened very recently, go for real time at the moment for that one. I don't have any sources but things I've heard in Invictus Sanctum, The Seventy Third, and the RP channel, but this seems to fit in well with everything else.

From what I've heard, since the start of WotLK it's been 5 years. 3 years since the LK died, and during that 3 years they did the reconstuctions. And from what I've heard and seen, the Shattering happened very recently, go for real time at the moment for that one. I don't have any sources but things I've heard in Invictus Sanctum, The Seventy Third, and the RP channel, but this seems to fit in well with everything else.

With claims like this you really need to post sources, or nobody takes you seriously.

Months into the future? Not quite

Source

Most of the stuff from guilds or the /rp channel is just guessing anyway.

*wades through sundering/shattering nitpicking, quotes the blue post on the lack of timeskip*

Months into the future? Not quite. There's been a progression within the game as well however slight that may have seemed to you. That said though, the book The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm has a lot of information, the mini-site Your Fortune Awaits gives some hints about the goings on, and the in game events likewise should be great lead ins for the Shattering and beyond. We also have a little something else that we hope to post for you all that should help bridge the distance a bit more.

There also has to be a certain amount of suspension of disbelief. After all, we've spent a lot of time in the old world without it changing all that much, but time was marching on anyway. We're just playing a little catch-up and hope that it makes some semblance of sense to you. Keep in mind, as much as we have been working to integrate more of the story into the game in a seamless manner, we also still need to make sure that what we're offering via gameplay is fun and makes sense as well. We hope you will enjoy the end results.

Quoting from http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/136461/okay-seriously-time-skip since I haven't seen the full text quoted.

Hrmmmm. (regards posts above)

Interesting.

It's just a jump to the left. [/Quote]

Ahah. There we go. Time to go create a Frankfurter Undead Priest. Just like Blizzcon, it's lovely to see how even the ones' creating the Lore regard it so nonchalantly at times. lol.

(1). Months into the future? Not quite. (2.) There's been a progression within the game as well however slight that may have seemed to you. (3.) That said though, the book The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm has a lot of information, the mini-site Your Fortune Awaits gives some hints about the goings on, and the in game events likewise should be great lead ins for the Shattering and beyond. (4.) We also have a little something else that we hope to post for you all that should help bridge the distance a bit more.

(5.) There also has to be a certain amount of suspension of disbelief. (6.) After all, we've spent a lot of time in the old world without it changing all that much, but time was marching on anyway. We're just playing a little catch-up and hope that it makes some semblance of sense to you. (7.) Keep in mind, as much as we have been working to integrate more of the story into the game in a seamless manner, we also still need to make sure that what we're offering via gameplay is fun and makes sense as well. (8.) We hope you will enjoy the end results.

And this is a mixed bag of nuts. In typical blizzard fashion, nothing conclusive can really be drawn from this. 'Not Quite' is not the same as 'not at all'. It just mean it might not be plural months in the future. Maybe 'a' month, or several weeks. * Blizzard Translator Engaged:

(1) - Well, it's not a super long time. But some time. Probably. Maybe.

(2) - Things've been moving on many levels during this whole thing. Some things happening at same time. You just don't notice them them all.

(3) - The Shattering has a lot of answers in it. So does the website promo.

(4) - In fact, Website Promo has something unlockable coming up that bridges the gap. Probably just after The Shattering.

* NOTE: Most of that Website's unlockables are just excerpts from The Shattering. Just fyi.

(5) - Player's gottah help us bridge story/time gaps too and gloss over things we mess up.

(6) - We've working on a ton of stuff. However, Cata's still going to be an instant change that we're pretending happened over time.

(7) - We're working on smoothing out stuff like this in the future. For right now, though, it's up to you to work it out.

(8) - Courtesy closing. "Have a Nice Day"

There. Concise. When dug into. Amounts to 'Well, read The Shattering and the website, and draw your own conclusion'. It's in the Book and the Player's hands, really.

Which is hamfisted sometimes in the RP community. Without a cohesive pattern to help us mesh together, anyone can make anything up - one person's perceived time being stretched vastly different from another, killing our sense of connection with that world. Syncing helps in RP quite a bit - if this official post offers nothing really to solidify that sync. This is the 'yeah, whatever. working on it in the future' approach. This is a game designer talking, admitting they couldn't do more with it in the time allotted. They're just throwing up their hands and shrugging - 'read The Shattering and make something up'.

Meh. If they have bigger things to do, fine. That's their job and they do it well, so it falls to others to draw their own continuity - as indeed so many do.

Therefore, I'm sticking to this logic (and it's not 'but it was MAGIC... maaaa-giiiiic... a lazy construct. lol):

() The Orgrimmar Fire happened in the book at a roughly defined time in the progression of world events post slaying of the Lich King (very few events of the book are able to be directly placed in-game, the end of the Northrend Campaign is the defining point of the timeline - says to the reader 'here is what time it is'). Now, 'suspending' book events momentarily...

() The fire happened in WoW. That fire happened not long ago real-time and lasted over a period of about a week. That is an event my warlock character involved himself in (he had a rooftop to fiddle on) as he returned from Northrend curious about the Doomsday prophecy (such things attract him like free beer and an unguarded maternity ward).

() The rebuilding took place after the fire (logically). And in a period of a day real-time. That, I find, is hard to follow. That's the 'magic' explanation that I think sucks in the creativity department. Still, they're not forcing that idea either. Just the hazy 'well, there's been a lot going on...' which reads to me as 'we're too busy on everything else to think about a small detail as when we blew up the world'. lol. And that's fine too, actually - it leaves RPers with room to come up with what they were doing at the time. RP, like nature, abhors a void.

() Still, cause and effect considered, this rebuilding was not 'happening' while we were in Northrend marching against Arthas. That I think is even sillier than the 'magic!' idea. It's not so simple to explain as 'well, you were too busy up north'. A lot of us came back a while before that Fire to deal with the Cult activity. Even Garrosh was there when that started, for Thrall's 'I have to put you in charge' - much to peeps like Voljin' chagrin. That entire repeating event in the Grommash Hold. Not to mention, Cairne was home too.

() So if we go back and put the Book timeline back on the table, this was after the last stuff was brought back from Northrend. That syncs up with the 'month or two' concept, but not the 'a couple real crazy days' concept. This rebuilding was triggered by the fire; it was the aftereffect. The fire that happened several days ago. To place it outside of an established continuity is to deny a ton of level 80s showed up to do things in the capital cities during that invasion - which for a lot of RPers out there, would take a fun (perhaps even defining) moment of recent character history out. Instead, Blizzard has provided us with an in of saying 'well, we don't know - go make something up. Suspend disbelief, we're working on other stuff that's going to be interesting later'.

I find it a lot easier to accept the notion of a month or two passing between the events - a down time - rather than deny I was ever there in the first place during the Invasion, as indeed so many of us were (judging from the day of many many mammoths in front of Orgrimmar bank. lol). Not to mention, it would make sense that many of us would come back around the same time Garrosh & Cairne came home with the last of the returning Northrend Troops & Supplies.

So, this is my sensible timeline:

- Lich King dies. [Months ago, Real Time]

- Much rejoicing. Yay. [Months still, Real Time]

- (Book)Garrosh gets things together to come home. Cairne goes to help.[About October, Real Time]

- Twilight Cultists gather in Orgrimmar/Garrosh and Cairne are back at their respective spots. Thrall starts his conversation about the Twilight Cult with the assembly in throneroom.[About October, Real Time]

- Many Player Characters return home for whatever reason, or to check out the Cult they'd been hearing about. Or (Book) returned with Garrosh's forces to the hero's welcome in Orgrimmar. Where there was much feasting, and much naysaying of doom.[About October, Real Time]

- Orgrimmar starts taking firmer hand against uppity Cultists over time, PCs get involved. Because it took them that long to realize that anybody with the term 'Cultist' wouldn't be utterly harmless (cough... cult of the damned... cough). Suspension of disbelief time.[About early November, Real Time]

- First 'small' fires start happening. (Book) Thrall has a fire give him the middle finger. Makes a deal with Gazlowe to secure rebuilding materials for Org, then starts questioning some things about himself, and decides to leave for a bit to get some bearings. Starts telling people he's putting Garrosh in charge. Cairne doesn't like it. Thrall tells him off. (Ingame) Vol'jin shits pants in the Throne Room, but doesn't open his mouth much yet. Sylvannas and Lor'themar roll eyes and change their weekend planner. [About Early November, Real Time]

- Thrall is gone. (Ingame) PCs go check on him in Outland. (Book) Thrall knows bad things are happening but not how bad back home. He's too busy and distracted by Mag'har womanhood. (Ingame) Garrosh is on the highchair and doing his 'best'. Cultists getting more uppity, PCs called in to help throw them in the arena for containment until further notice. [About Mid November, Real Time]

- (Book) Attempts at diplomacy to open up with the Night Elves don't go so well due to a case of Skinning and Cult sneakiness. Cairne and Garrosh have a hallmark moment in Grommash Hold which ends in a duel declaration. [About Mid November, Real Time]

- Fire happens. Fire bad. (Ingame) Garrosh hits it with an axe. Because Fire is weak against Axes, naturally. PC's help drive back emerging huge amounts of really powerful Fire Elementals, then dive with Garrosh into portals to kick the teeth in of several Twilight Cultist Lieutenants from our book of former villains. (Book) Bigger fire happens, but info is vague about it. Which is good, other things happen. [About a week before Monday, Real Time]

And Orgrimmar is a mess.

----- (Now, in the time period since the Big Fire) ----- [starting Monday Night]

- (Book) Thrall gets his head on strait, and a Mag'har to argue with while everything else is going on.

- (Book) Meanwhile, Reconstruction is going in Orgrimmar that Gazlowe and Thrall negotiated. Garrosh does the feng shui with spikes option. Orcs approve.

- (Book) Meanwhile, Garrosh and Cairne still have a Duel to do. And Duel they do. Magatha gets her hooves done at the salon, laughing to herself.

- (Book) Garrosh gloats around town about his victory. Meanwhile, Grimtotem show up in Thunder Bluff and... well, that you'll have to read for yourself. Suspend your disbelief, thar' be Tauren Ninjas.

- (Book) The Running of the Bulls. Baine steps up with an anti-ninja hammer. Magatha gets a letter that makes her poop lightning. There's a big battle in Thunder Bluff. Storms are BAD.

- (Book) Meanwhile, Storms are BAD. Theramore is getting flooded, along with tons of other coastal locations like Menethil and Booty Bay. Ironforge also has all manner of interesting things happen.

- (Book) Thrall returns to find a box fan with a suspicious smelling brown lump sticking out of it. Cairne has a touching funeral. Thrall still leaves Garrosh in charge. Baine proves he's a bigger guy than Garrosh. Everything looks like it might get better.

- (Book) .... Nope. They walk away from the funeral, and that brown lump becomes a fudgey monsoon hitting the world's ceiling fan. Really bad things ensue.

- (Ingame) Meanwhile, while all of this has been happening, Kajaro blows its top and Gilneas loses its freshness.

- Cataclysm Happens.

----- (And now we get to patch day.)-----[Tuesday Morning]

- PCs wake up in graveyards or other places they weren't before. That was one craaazy yom kippur.

- World's all blown up. Orgrimmar's nearly all rebuilt. Stormwind is minus one Park District. Somehow a Dragon Aspect of Death and Overkill crashed their evening and then, just as quickly, left?

- Goblins are everywhere. An entire harbor city, complete with mako cannon - as well as a golf course, spa, and of course, talking Raptors. Overnight?

- Worgen are just all 'sup' everywhere there's Alliance - like they've been here a while and aren't anthropomorphic talking wolves we were shooting for fun in Silverpine and Northrend not so long ago.

And all that in One Evening, or while we were in Northrend? Forgetaboutit.

Even if it's not a full month or two, it's a lot more plausible that at least a couple weeks have passed rather than that 'one-evening' (realtime) time frame. At least. A shift forward of time isn't too hard to account for. Disguise it as disorientation - maybe hit by falling fecal matter from the collective poop-storm - a short term coma. Maybe you got knocked out by falling debris from the world getting knocked around, and like that one guy in The Holy Grail, you're not quite dead. Waking up in the graveyard to have to pinch yourself that you're not dreaming. Perhaps you landed on Azeroth in a House from Kansas for all we know. Perhaps you got drunk, or simply misplaced the time. Then there's the ever amusing 'portal' theory from Red vs Blue - how long DID it take to get back from killing those Lieutenants of the Twilight Cult? And why is my armor all black?

Sure there's the suspension of disbelief. There's plenty of ways to account for the several week/month or two time period in question here in both a practical sense as well as a sarcastic sense. That no time has passed between Big Fire and the Brave New World of Warcraft, however, is stretching that too far for me when there's a huge variety of fun ways to say where you were when the world blew up. That Blizz reply only really seems to leave the gap open to interpretation. lol

My post was actually a joke, what it was pointing out was that the time difference from the starter zone areas to the higher end areas isn't 'a few hours', but actually weeks or even months of its own. This gives time for stuff as you move up to be built. When we first got into outland and were fighting on the staircase, that was the way it was, it took a while for us to get to thrallimar and honor hold, and then to build the other outposts. It took a wihle to fight our way through outland, just becuase the PC can quest through it in a few days doesn't mean that's the in game time it took stuff to happen.

Gilneans did arrive almost overnight after the shattering, because they escape gilneas very shortly after the shattering, the Forsaken invasion of Gilneas actually starts before the shattering.

Ah, ok Swerto. That makes some sense. I'll look into the Worgen starting area - that's a big blank spot for me. lol. The majority of my timeline does have a Horde bias. That's what I've been playing through. What I do know about Alliance events comes from the big things going on in The Shattering Novel.

The Forsaken Invasion of Gilneas is not something I have precise dates for. It's not in the Book and it's not been a big topic ingame during the Elemental Invasion. Also, haven't played the Worgen Start area like I have the Goblins.

From the sound of it, it's not something Sylvannas was big on letting people know anyway (it's not a good tactical plan when you're mounting an Invasion to go gloating around about it in advance.).

I'll take that into consideration - but still, what you said easily fits into the timeline I'm solidifying in my head. I'm assuming that sometime around the point where Orgrimmar's Roof was on Fire, Sylvannas and friends decided to play at the beach. (maybe she had more on her Weekend planner than I suspected. lol)

That way, by the 'now' time - about a month or two later - Gilneas is the mess it is now; a warzone. The Worgen have had time to filter through the Alliance and get setup thanks to Night Elven support. Makes sense.