Katanoki

Magic: The Gathering

I recently got MWS again, and am currently building a couple decks.

I didn't see anyplace to download the M11. Only Rise of the Eldrazi and below.

[Edit] -Figured out the sideboard issue.

For anyone who plays Magic and does not have Magic Workstation, you should download it and play against your fellow TNGers! It's a fairly straightforward program, and you can just hop on ventrilo with someone when you play -- it's pretty fun. Even has support for simulating sealed draft decks, if anyone enjoys that as much as I do. xD

You can download MWS itself here: http://www.magicworkstation.com/downloads.php

After you download and install that, you will need to update it so it includes every set released to date (including M11, Okhu!). In the program, you can filter that down to t2 standard or type 1.x extended or whatever you wish. You can download that here: http://www.slightlymagic.net/software/mws/5-mtg-masterbase

Finally, I cannot play without the pretty scans. By default, all the cards are simply text (as it would be a huge download otherwise). However, you can substitute in scans of actual cards here: http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=445

That thread is not updated for M11 pics, but you can download them from the fifth post of this thread: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=252059

The WoW TCG is better. >_>

At least, I get loot cards from it, which tend to have a lot more value than other card games.

I don't know, Magic has a lot of value. A playset of Jaces goes for $320, Baneslayers go for $40 each, and even common and uncommon-rarity cards can sell well for their relative ease of obtaining (Lightning Bolt, Shriekmaw, Mulldrifter). The difference between loot cards and these cards are demand -- most competitive decks that play or splash blue will want a Jace, the Mind Sculptor in them. I imagine more people are saving up money for him than they are for most loot cards.

Wait, how was the stack changed?

Back around the time of the Darksteel cycle they basically removed it entirely, i.e. spells resolved immediately unless another card specifically indicated it would resolve first (an interrupt, like Counterspell, for example). It was a terrible, terrible decision, and they reversed it. Doing cool things with the stack and the order in which spells and abilities resolve is one of my favorite things about Magic.

Also, QQ time. I had a bitchin Blue Frozen Orb/Opposition lockdown deck with four Morphlings. It got stolen when I made the mistake of bringing it to school with me one day and letting some kids check it out.

Wait, how was the stack changed?

I'm going to assume they're speaking about combat damage on the stack? Before Magic 2010, you could play or activate an ability after combat damage was dealt -- for example, the ever-popular Mogg Fanatic was a 1/1 creature who could be sacrificed to deal one damage to target creature or player. He could block or be blocked by a 2/2 and deal his one damage to it, then sacrificed to deal the second damage for the kill. Likewise, he could be blocked by a 1/1 and sacrificed to kill a second 1/1 or perhaps deal a damage to the player.

Another common example are two creatures dealing damage to each other (attacker and blocker), but one player casts Unsummon on his creature... but not before dealing enough damage to kill the other, and have his still "live" (albeit now in hand).

The rules changes were controversial, but it has support as well as opposition, and it wasn't enough to stop me from playing anyway.

edit: Or it could be whatever Skaadvik is talking about. I started playing Magic at the end of the Mirrodin, and pretty noobily, so I didn't really concern myself too much with the stack back then. lol freshman year

I don't know, Magic has a lot of value. A playset of Jaces goes for $320, Baneslayers go for $40 each, and even common and uncommon-rarity cards can sell well for their relative ease of obtaining (Lightning Bolt, Shriekmaw, Mulldrifter). The difference between loot cards and these cards are demand -- most competitive decks that play or splash blue will want a Jace, the Mind Sculptor in them. I imagine more people are saving up money for him than they are for most loot cards.

WoW cards are often the same, going up for about the same price as that, but just look up Spectral Tiger on eBay. Individual ones go for $600-800, and it often sells to people who don't even play the card game.

Did somebody say they had Jace? Because I thought I heard somebody say they had Jace and I might be thoroughly interested in it.

WoW cards are often the same, going up for about the same price as that, but just look up Spectral Tiger on eBay. Individual ones go for $600-800, and it often sells to people who don't even play the card game.

Oh, of that, I have no doubt! Without any research, I can't say which between Magic and WoW TCG has more "value" per dollar spent on boosters... well, not without talking out of my ass, at least.

I was just doubting your implication of the WoW TCG having "a lot more value" than MtG. At a glance, I could settle with "comparable". =P

and inb4 black lotus ($1700), mox ruby ($750), etc :3

Oh, of that, I have no doubt! Without any research, I can't say which between Magic and WoW TCG has more "value" per dollar spent on boosters... well, not without talking out of my ass, at least.

I was just doubting your implication of the WoW TCG having "a lot more value" than MtG. At a glance, I could settle with "comparable". =P

and inb4 black lotus ($1700), mox ruby ($750), etc :3

http://cgi.ebay.com/MTG-UNLIMITED-P9-POWER-NINE-SET-NM-MINT-BLACK-LOTUS-MOX-/260637442032?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caf33bff0

Anyone got some money?

I'm low on funds for the next 3 weeks, could we negotiate some sort of deal whereby I trade you WoW gold for your Jaces?

The WoW TCG is better. >_>

At least, I get loot cards from it, which tend to have a lot more value than other card games.

Obviously loot cards are going to have "More value" when you can get a prize for your in-game WoW counterpart.

I'm going to assume they're speaking about combat damage on the stack? Before Magic 2010, you could play or activate an ability after combat damage was dealt -- for example, the ever-popular Mogg Fanatic was a 1/1 creature who could be sacrificed to deal one damage to target creature or player. He could block or be blocked by a 2/2 and deal his one damage to it, then sacrificed to deal the second damage for the kill. Likewise, he could be blocked by a 1/1 and sacrificed to kill a second 1/1 or perhaps deal a damage to the player.

Another common example are two creatures dealing damage to each other (attacker and blocker), but one player casts Unsummon on his creature... but not before dealing enough damage to kill the other, and have his still "live" (albeit now in hand).

The rules changes were controversial, but it has support as well as opposition, and it wasn't enough to stop me from playing anyway.

edit: Or it could be whatever Skaadvik is talking about. I started playing Magic at the end of the Mirrodin, and pretty noobily, so I didn't really concern myself too much with the stack back then. lol freshman year

I had no idea about that. I remember them revoking the stack changes I had mentioned. I haven't played competitively for a couple years now, I just bust out my decks when people want to have a couple magic battles.

This. Exactly this. *cries*

So, is there a reason I can't post new discussions in the social group? Because that is severely hindering my ability to post new discussions.

This. Exactly this. *cries*

I wasn't a fan of the rules, either. I didn't quit, but I might as well have with how infrequently I played after that.

My decision to pick Magic back up (more competitively) was pretty recent... ah, I'm pretty sure I didn't have a t2 deck until a few weeks ago. >>

So, is there a reason I can't post new discussions in the social group? Because that is severely hindering my ability to post new discussions.

Maybe the group moderator has accidentally checked "Only owner can create new discussions" at some point? Or is this a recent problem?

Someone could PM Villanya.

Or Okhu can save the day.

So I played in my first booster draft last night and was lucky enough to be the only person picking black. I had a smattering of vamps with a few red spells to make them flying +3/+2 vamps with lifelink. Everyone said my deck sucked, but I lost the first one 1-2, got a buy in the 2nd round and won the third round 2-0. Then they decided it was too late, ran the rankings and just split the prize between the top two. I was kind of pissed because I felt I could have at least made it to the top 4.