Dahnek

New Talents Tree design is up.

Fulmination seems to be a lot of damage on the beta, currently doing an extra 10-13K damage fully charged, and currently unable to crit (funny enough, though, that it's bugged and does the damage to the caster instead). Even if the charges are taken away by attacks, though, the attacker would still be taking all that damage, if only with less burst. It does give Elemental a heavy hitter on the move without the use of Spiritwalker's Grace. I don't think Feedback is useful to a PvP spec, and mana is much more limited for all casters, which potentially makes Convection more important than Acuity. Maybe something more like this: http://www.wowtal.com/#k=kzvKkydfn.9vn.shaman

That's the part that sucks. Is the fact that it is a heavy hitter on the move that is much better for PvE shaman. Yes somebody beating on the Shaman will take damage from his or her Lightning Shield, but that damage is very easy to overcome. PvP is all about burst. And that ability won't get out burst while you're being beaten on.

I think it should also be pointed out - to get the most out of it you charge it up by casting Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning. A full stack of charges would take a LONG time to get - and be nigh impossible to get in PvP. For every time you get a Lightning Bolt off it's most likely you're going to have been hit several times in the mean time. Or simply have your Lightning Shield dispelled.

For PvP, Elemental Shaman don't need a heavy hitter they can cast while moving. They need ANYTHING they can cast while moving (that doesn't have a cooldown like all our Instant Casts do). If Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning (or even just Lightning Bolt) were changed to be able to be casted while moving, that would be a GIGANTIC improvement to the current Shaman situation, I feel. Especially with the increased totem radius they keep telling us about.

That's the part that sucks. Is the fact that it is a heavy hitter on the move that is much better for PvE shaman. Yes somebody beating on the Shaman will take damage from his or her Lightning Shield, but that damage is very easy to overcome. PvP is all about burst. And that ability won't get out burst while you're being beaten on.

I think it should also be pointed out - to get the most out of it you charge it up by casting Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning. A full stack of charges would take a LONG time to get - and be nigh impossible to get in PvP. For every time you get a Lightning Bolt off it's most likely you're going to have been hit several times in the mean time. Or simply have your Lightning Shield dispelled.

For PvP, Elemental Shaman don't need a heavy hitter they can cast while moving. They need ANYTHING they can cast while moving (that doesn't have a cooldown like all our Instant Casts do). If Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning (or even just Lightning Bolt) were changed to be able to be casted while moving, that would be a GIGANTIC improvement to the current Shaman situation, I feel. Especially with the increased totem radius they keep telling us about.

I think you're taking this too much from the perspective you have in Wrath. PvP is bursty now, but, if health scales as it has in the beta, you're looking at 80-90K health pools, as well as dispells being reduced or costing large amounts of mana. Damage isn't quite scaling to the same effect, which means that it will be more drawn out, and steady DPS will be more effective. Besides, with the loss of Unrelenting Storm, I doubt Water Shield is enough for mana regeneration to maintain any type of damage.

If Lightning Bolt was given the Firestarter treatment (given the ability to be cast on the move), an Elemental shaman would likely never stop moving and have no reason to cast several other spells if they could effectively do so while keeping out of range of a melee attacker, maybe for Lava Burst. Even then, that's a lot of damage with little downside, I'll even say it, overpowered. Other casters are getting the benefit of having other ways to do damage while moving, but the model still is that the highest damage will be done while standing still. Spamming Scorch and Moonfire can't compare to the damage Lightning Bolt can do.

EDIT: And it seems that Fulmination can crit, around 20K, just might be more bugged that it's not benefitting from crit rating currently.

The new talent trees are up on http://www.wowtal.com/#

I for one am not fond of this system. Some can argue there was only an "illusion of choice" before, but now it's plainly going to be cookie cutters and very little variety. Alot of specs are getting hit hard by this. In fact (from my own level of knowledge) I'd say the only class/spec combo not hurt is ironically Unholy DK.

Got to argee with you 110%, it feels like I'm getting ripped off. In fact a few thing brither me about this expan :( ...

*Insert conversation about Blizzard removing useless talents and how saying this removes creativity is look at the glass severely half empty*

I agree. The changes they are making will make the game much easier for them to balance, as well as help new players not suck on the sole fact that they don't know how to specc.. Kinda hard to fuck up in the new system.

Hell, I kind-of wish Blizzard would remove -more- useless talents.

Really Blizzard? Restorative Totems are still a prerequesite for mana tide? Furthermore, Mana Tide is still resto specific? We haven't moved onto Druid level yet? Seriously?

Really Blizzard? Restorative Totems are still a prerequesite for mana tide? Furthermore, Mana Tide is still resto specific? We haven't moved onto Druid level yet? Seriously?

I still find it hilarious that the Call of Flame - the awesome talent that gives 20% extra fire totem damage, fire nova damage, and 10% extra Lava Burst damage - is a prerequisite for the talent that gives... 20% extra fire nova damage and reduces the cooldown by 4 seconds?

Wat?

Got to argee with you 110%, it feels like I'm getting ripped off. In fact a few thing brither me about this expan :( ...

I dunno about you, but when I look at the talent tree I go "FUCK. I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POINTS TO GET ALL THIS FUCKING SWEET SHIT." instead of: "FUCK. I NEED TO PUT POINTS IN 2H WEAPON MASTERY AND WRECKING CREW SO I HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN STRENGTH OF ARMS AND IMPROVED HAMSTRING? LOLOL NOT A CHOICE DERP DERP."

I prefer the former, thanks.

I still find it hilarious that the Call of Flame - the awesome talent that gives 20% extra fire totem damage, fire nova damage, and 10% extra Lava Burst damage - is a prerequisite for the talent that gives... 20% extra fire nova damage and reduces the cooldown by 4 seconds?

Wat?

Just for you:

Improved Fire Nova is now a Tier 4 Enhancement Talent - Increases the damage done by your Fire Nova by 10/20% and reduces the cooldown by 2/4 sec.

I just wish they would roll mana tide into the mana restore totem - the talent just causes your normal totem to pulse restore mana.

They've said it isn't going to last long, they've just had issues coming up with a decent replacement.

They've said it isn't going to last long, they've just had issues coming up with a decent replacement.

That's actually very good news. It's been a long time coming.

That's actually very good news. It's been a long time coming.

I'd honestly take it with a grain of salt though. Until there's an actual change in place.

"We want to remove it, but haven't found something better to replace it with" doesn't exactly sound like "100% sure it'll be gone before Cataclysm is released".

I'd honestly take it with a grain of salt though. Until there's an actual change in place.

"We want to remove it, but haven't found something better to replace it with" doesn't exactly sound like "100% sure it'll be gone before Cataclysm is released".

Well, aren't you a bright ray of sunshine. :P

Anyway, going on our earlier discussion, some of the new glyphs have been introduced and others changed.

Such as:

Elemental Mastery - While your Elemental Mastery ability is active, you take 20% less damage from all sources.

Lightning Shield - Your Lightning Shield can no longer drop below 3 charges from dealing damage to attackers.

Decent improvements for the new talents in PvP for Elemental.

More here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1956-Cataclysm-Glyphs-Heroic-SFK-and-Deadmines

Well, aren't you a bright ray of sunshine. :P

Simply being realistic! Nothing is final until release day. And even then.

Anyway, going on our earlier discussion, some of the new glyphs have been introduced and others changed.

Such as:

Elemental Mastery - While your Elemental Mastery ability is active, you take 20% less damage from all sources.

That's REALLY cool. I like that a lot.

Lightning Shield - Your Lightning Shield can no longer drop below 3 charges from dealing damage to attackers.

That one is REALLY interesting. It basically makes that new attack quite worth the investment, if you can depend upon not losing your lightning shield below a certain amount. But I'm not convinced it's such a bright idea for PvP Elemental, I'd need to play with it.

Decent improvements for the new talents in PvP for Elemental.

More here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1956-Cataclysm-Glyphs-Heroic-SFK-and-Deadmines

The Hex glyph might actually be worth picking up now.

Huh.

At least they acknowledge that it's bad, right?

There's at least one more resto talent that should be chopped if restorative totems is considered bad this way (IMP CHAIN HEAL I'M LOOKING AT YOU). In all, though, acknowledging that I'll never get my frackin' Spirit Link (**SOB**), the resto shaman tree ain't hurting for goodies.

Imp chain heal has its use for PvE though doesn't it?

And meh. I still think the other healing trees are more attractive than the resto tree, and have had more done with them respectively. I'd really like to see some stuff added in that emphasizes and enhances how a Resto Shaman actually plays.

I.E. Lightning Bolt is the lowest priority damaging attack a Shaman has, and most Shaman aren't standing still when they're being damaged.

If they can work with that, I might just actually play my Shaman in Cataclysm.

Oh, and Spirit Link.

Okay, I have to admit. Looking at the Elemental Shaman talents and the path things are going down, it is pretty fucking bamf.

So they introduce an Elemental Mastery glyph that can reduce damage taken while EM is up, and they also have a new talent that decreases the EM cooldown by 3 seconds with every Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning cast.

It seems like the new Elemental Shaman thing to do will be reducing damage on demand. We'll be able to pop Elemental Mastery for more than the occasional crit boost and instant cast - which are great - it'll also stop us from dying.

Imp chain heal is just one of those flat increases they said they were getting rid of. The new glyph is pretty cool because it gives you a chance to turn chain heal from a "tank heal that keeps melee topped up" into an actual raid heal. I'd rather the talent did something interesting like that. But c'est la vie, they can't get rid of all those kinds of talents.

Aside from Spirit Link disappointment, I think after seeing all the glyph changes and thinking about how I play my shaman now, I'm super excited for where we're headed. I don't mess around in arenas, and even when I did I never played on an optimal team, so I can't say anything about that, but BG healing and pve healing have felt pretty good all expansion for me, and we're only going to get better with our changes.

Maybe we didn't get as much attention because we've been sitting pretty all along. ;)

They just made loves to Stoneclaw and glyph of stoneclaw. I don't remember the nerf they did before but now they really boosted it. Its got:

Elemental

* Stoneclaw Totem now has 6186 health, up from 797. Shields your totems for up to 4143 damage, up from 664.

* Earth Shock now also reduces ranged attack speed.

More hp! So more shield for totems which equals, for once maybe, a half decent glyph of stoneclaw shield! I am happy with some change at least, I been trying to play on the PTR with my shaman and just been sadly disappointed. Elemental I can see being a power house once insta gw is avaliable. Since currently on the PTR its like free game for all melee to be in your face at 80. I never really played enhance other then when I was leveling so I can't comment there besides I could only win a duel with feral spirits -_- Resto seems to have the same problem of melee always in their face. Go go more shaman changes, some moves getting a CD reduction also.

Man, that's awesome. I think they nerfed the glyph but when I checked they still have it going for 4x the absorb amount.

Which means the shield will be absorbing for ~16k damage. Woah!

Also, it's interesting that they're making mana tide totem a virtual equivalent to innervate. Same effect AND same cooldown. I'm not sure if I agree with it though. Dispelling innervate can be a royal pain in the ass (especially with more expensive purge) dispelling a totem is as easy as smacking it a few times.

I don't know, I've always felt like Mana Tide is an ability that should be made baseline for Shaman as Innervate was made baseline for Druids in TBC.

I can't complain though. Stoneclaw looks awesome, and cooldown reductions (HEY HEX I'M LOOKING AT YOU) are always great.

I don't know, I've always felt like Mana Tide is an ability that should be made baseline for Shaman as Innervate was made baseline for Druids in TBC.

They are making feral innervate basically ineffective in Cat.

Also currently it appears that forms don't make you immune to poly. Which is the suck.

They are making feral innervate basically ineffective in Cat.

Also currently it appears that forms don't make you immune to poly. Which is the suck.

Oh? Do you have a link? Or a more specific description? I haven't been keeping up on a lot of the changes as adamantly as I should be (and I'm too lazy to dig through the confines of AJ).

And I'm glad they made that change. Can they shift out of poly and snares still?