Thalevia

Official forums converting to RealID

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=13816838128&sid=1&pageNo=1

Blizzard will be shifting the official forums over to displaying RealID instead of by character you choose. As of right now the plan is to have both your first and last name will be shown on any post you make to the official forums once they make the switch. Blizzard posters are included in this. The idea is people tend to be less likely to be asshats when they cannot hide behind anonymity.

I typically do not post to the official forums but this is a little too much in my opinion. Maybe if they made it so first names only with a last initial if they really want to go through with this change.

If it becomes retroactive, say goodbye to every post I've ever made there, including the sticky.

WORST. IDEA. EVER.

Drysc / Bashiok (who we'll soon be calling by his real name) posted an update that these changes are not retroactive.

Thankfully they aren't doing that. Yea no more wow forum posting for me, i understand the move to push away trolls, but yea, incoming pedophile supermarket.

I understand the need to get rid of the massive amount of trolling. But I know from exeperience how creepy online stalking can get. My fiance has had numerous problems with guys getting a little to obsessed with her and taking that obsession to extreme ends. Sadly too many guys (dunno about the gals) take someone being friendly with them and turn it into something else entirely. Time to rethink this one Blizz. : /

Given the progression of the RealID nonsense, I think I might end up cancelling my account when all of this is over. Its common knowledge that employers watch facebook like a hawk, using that as a part of their decision making process, and quite frankly, I really don't want any activities on the forums to show up when I'll apply for interships this year.

I can just imagine where this nonsense is headed...

"Well... your qualifications are certainly up to par with what we're looking for here, and your knowledge in the field is stunning, but I still am afraid that I can't hire you."

"Why not?"

"Because... you ganked me in Storm Peaks two weeks ago."

Aleria just made this thread a major win.

That whole concept is ridiculous. >_> Why would they put RealID on the forums? Seriously. Doesn't make sense.

So I'm not gonna be posting on the official forums anymore if this change goes live.

Focus more on a better service team and better forum mods, IMO. Don't worry about this change that gives out info we don't want to give out to everyone.

Focus more on a better service team and better forum mods, IMO. Don't worry about this change that gives out info we don't want to give out to everyone.

This a thousand times over. In fact I do believe giving out someone's real life info was a reason to report a post. Not that Blizz would do anything if you reported a post to begin with. Hitler himself could go on a rant about the final solution and it wouldn't be touched for ages.

Blizzard, stop doing shit backwards.

http://www.wow.com/2010/07/06/official-forum-changes-real-life-names-to-be-displayed/

It's not known yet whether this will be retroactive or not. If it becomes retroactive, say goodbye to every post I've ever made there, including the sticky.

WORST. IDEA. EVER.

It won't convert past posts to display your first and last name. Blue post from http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=13816838128&sid=1&pageNo=1, page 17.

All posts made on the current forums, be it the WoW forums or the classic Battle.net forums, will remain as they are now.

We will be launching a brand new forum system in the future around the time when we will be releasing Cataclysm, and no posts from the current forums will be transferred over. In the new forums you will be given a clear warning that your real name will be made visible alongside any post you make.

LOOKING FORWARD TO SW:TOR. WHO IS WITH ME??

Lame.

:cool:

Blizz more than likely is just gonna go 'oops too much errors wit this, nvm we not doing it'.

<--RealID Raziel Hexagra

Bwuahahahaha!

It's the end of the flame wars on the WoW forums for sure. Now when someone pisses you off, you just google their name, locate their facebook account, zero in on their location via GPS Locator on their cell-phone number and you've got their address!

Wouldn't releasing players real names (or whatever name they put down in their address, like Raziel above), be against some sort of 'law' or even their own terms of service?

This just seems rather confusing why they'd release private information, when they always say....they won't release private information.

What the hell is blizzard thinking by doing this? I am dead serious when I say this: They have freaking lost their minds.

Blizzard has been bothering me lately, and I have been trying to figure out why. Now I think I can at last articulate why.

For a wile now Blizzard's decisions have revolved around controlling people's times spent on their game. One example is the entire "gating" mechanic was implemented to quote blizzard: "To protect people from themselves". Blizzard has been making decisions similar to what people would call a "nanny-state", doing things for what they believe is their "own good".

Now they have crossed a line well and beyond that(and it was bad enough before mind you).

Building a world community? Social Networking in a game? Blizzard is a fucking game company..GAME COMPANY. They have forgotten their place and have developed a disgusting level of arrogance. This is why you should have competition and why business and politics should never ever mix.

I approve of their efforts to fix their forums, as it has been a cesspit in the past, but this is not the way, this will create a problem far worse than any forum troll.

Wouldn't releasing players real names (or whatever name they put down in their address, like Raziel above), be against some sort of 'law' or even their own terms of service?

This just seems rather confusing why they'd release private information, when they always say....they won't release private information.

They'd HAVE to change the forum terms of use to basically say "By posting on this forum you understand that the name registered under your Blizzard account will be made public."

Otherwise it is a gross violation of their own TOS.

They'll lose a lot of customers for it. And I'm not just talking about adult dramatics - but rather, parents paying for their childrens accounts. They'll pull out SO FAST if they hear that their name or their childs name is going to be displayed on the gaming forum they frequent.

This is SUCH a stupid and unnecessary move.

They'll lose a lot of customers for it. And I'm not just talking about adult dramatics - but rather, parents paying for their childrens accounts. They'll pull out SO FAST if they hear that their name or their childs name is going to be displayed on the gaming forum they frequent.

Parental controls can prevent children from posting on the forums.

Parental controls can prevent children from posting on the forums.

Do you think that will stop parents pulling their kids out?