Sabeinne

How Do You Get Into Character?

I often hear people make comments like "Man, I'm having a hard time getting into character tonight." So I'm curious, does getting into character mean the same thing for everybody? What exactly are we doing that allows us to RP as a different personality?

For my old characters like Libelle and Sabeinne, I find it's pretty easy. Their personalities and backstories are fairly fully fleshed out, and I'm so accustomed to "being" them that I can just try on their mindset for an hour or two and I'm set. With these characters I can really get "into their heads" and often my emotions even reflect what's going on in game.

New characters are a lot harder, but usually I sit down and decide upon a few character traits that I'm going to keep consistent and then just kind of wing it from there. I don't feel as much like I'm "in character" in these cases because I don't really have a feel for them yet, so I'm just following a set of rules I've imposed for myself.

So how do you guys do it? Something similar, something totally different, dark candlelit rooms and mood music?

Once my character has 'told me' who they are, it gets easier. (Random fact: Alphaeus's originally intended personality was a carefree party boy with a love for bloodthistle. He stepped in pretty quick and put a stop to that nonsense.)

Getting into character for me is easy enough, it just means thinking critically about what the character would or would not do in the situation, and once I get into the flow, I do it so subconsciously that sometimes I'm barely aware of what I'm typing until the post is completed.

A similar process to yours, Sabeinne. The older and more fleshed out a character is, the easier. With Evanthe it's just like flipping a switch. Bam.

New characters take more work. I try to focus on a trait or two and a couple habits and go from there. The more backstory I've established the easier it is.

I start plotting. No really, I start going through my head what needs to happen next, and how I'm going to have to act to make that happen, whether it be manipulative or gallant.

Of course, having had this character for a few years now and being able to really get into his head helps too. :3

And then I'm able to do it!

Ever, yes?

You met me, right?

Was I out of character, other than the flimsy ravenooc channel?

Ever in the game?

ever ever?

Not in 6 years in warcraft in any channel that could ever be interpretted as being in-character; /say /whisper /yell /shout /party /raid /battleground, even /guild for the three guilds I've been in (Grim/Tempest (The B Team)/Forgotten Legion). I don't take "breaks" to roleplay in this game. I just stay in character. I find it ridiculously easy, and when I switch characters to my others (Riga/Trabian/Teel/Belca/Cuchumaquiq/Xibalba/Xultun/Dorin/Ixzotz;Yautja before I gave the account to a friend, Therion before I had to deet for space), I'm still in their characters, and my way of even typing, speaking, and mannerisms change with them. You can ask the girlfriend how I act when we play our trolls.

Ah, but who are we really? How existential.

Once my character has 'told me' who they are, it gets easier. (Random fact: Alphaeus's originally intended personality was a carefree party boy with a love for bloodthistle. He stepped in pretty quick and put a stop to that nonsense.)

This is a good point. The only characters I've stuck with were the ones who took me aside and told me how it was going to be.

Two years. Oh, oh dear. Two... years.

Well, I suppose I too have to see to some process of "becoming in character," as I do often see myself to OOC hellery (though almost never in /say unless I am quite confident that I have control over the situation), and more often engage in RP situations.

I think I do it by, IRL, muttering something about fried chicken. I presume it's what really does the trick.

I've never really found issue getting into character or switching between mine.

But really I just think of the character, and then become the character.

'Oy'm Eoghan Aleblade, at yer service ma'am."

I've never really had the problem. I usually base my characters on some part of myself and then enhance that to really get into them.

Chikt is great because he's so much like me. He's easy to relate to. So he's easy to get in character with.

Unulu is a bit more difficult. Usually with him I think of the things I WOULDN'T do.

A note, since earlier I was quite brief. Do what you enjoy, if their is something about your rp that you hate 'YOUR DOING IT WRONG!'

For example, Bellicos hates the horde and will laugh at their deaths, which is fun for me because ooc'ly I would do that anyway.

It depends on the character I'm on.

Cytiana? No questions, thoughts, etc, I got her down.

Felynn? Bit of a challenge, being that she isn't as fleshed out.

Mai? Tough, but not impossible. No story to back her up just yet, so. . huzzah challenge.

But to get in character, I don't normally have to think about it, honestly. It's just 'there'.

Depends on how distracted I am by everything else (which is my own fault, really).

Seeing as how Naoki is my oldest character, even when I'm on to say hi to guildies or check my mail, I'm RPing in my head.

Another way I get IC is to put them in my favorite outfit. Yeah, I went there.

I take eight grams of mushrooms, four rolls of ecstacy, and 6 drops of acid, and BECOME THE WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

Or I just try to think in characte for a little bit to get the mindset going, which isn't too hard after years of playing both of my mains. New characters take a while as I flesh out their personalities and interactions, usually by just throwing myself into RP with a base idea of what I'm going for.

As she's almost my oldest character, Sifar is easy for me to channel. (Me, at 18. Oh, but with more "issues" than I can count.) Whether it is walking into a tavern or just brewing a few potions, I can be in character with her.

Giselda requires a lot more thought, but that's because she does a lot more thinking. She's crafty and manipulative, while putting on a disarming smile. Thus, very much not like me.

The others are still primarily caricatures, rather than full characters. They're easy enough to play, but I don't expect a lot out of them.

I play Nadea best when I'm in a bad mood. Or when I'm drinking. Really get into that "crazy evil drunk old bat" character then. xD