Tydis

Is Anyone Else Excited About The World Cup??

It looks like it, but apparently you don't get a yellow for sandwhiching a player in the penalty box.

What a load of shit.

JESUS CHRIST, YES. It's the only time I ever appear vaguely Hispanic.. during international soccer games. GO SPAIN! GO AMERICA! BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF ENGLAND!! And if not.. please don't embarass us!!

Vilmah's post 6/8/10 before the games began.

It looks like it, but apparently you don't get a yellow for sandwhiching a player in the penalty box.

What a load of shit.

You mean like the Netherlands did that one time?

Calls get missed on both sides of the field, its part of the game.

Take on the game:

Spain played much better Defense than the Netherlands did, but couldn't get much offensively going until the end (even though they had more shots on goal at half, their chances weren't as strong until the end of the second half and in extended time). Spain outplayed the Netherlands, who looked a little behind most of the game.

Both Keepers played pretty brilliantly though, kudos to them.

I'm sorry for raging.

It was a good game and both sides tried hard, Spain deserved the win, but not like that. Not after a counterattack made where a foul that should have been called wasn't called. It leaves a sour taste in the mouth when your team loses like that, and I got angry. I'm sorry.

EDIT: Moknim, I'm well aware that calls get missed all of the time, but it's when it actually makes a direct impact on the game that sticks out. If that call would have been called for what it is, Nederland would have gotten a penalty kick, and would have probably won the game, and on the other hand.. Well, you all saw what happened.

Congrats to Spain and all their fans, I hope you guys have a fun night tonight. It's time for me to hang up my Soccer stuff and put my booze away.

EDIT: Moknim, I'm well aware that calls get missed all of the time, but it's when it actually makes a direct impact on the game that sticks out. If that call would have been called for what it is, Nederland would have gotten a penalty kick, and would have probably won the game, and on the other hand.. Well, you all saw what happened.

Congrats to Spain and all their fans, I hope you guys have a fun night tonight. It's time for me to hang up my Soccer stuff and put my booze away.

I'm not sure which call you are talking about (and I really hope that this World Cup does change the way things are ref'd at this level of the game), but its just how things shake out with the current system. I was out of the room a few times and heard the commentators state that both Esp and Ned should have gotten a PK/Free kick at least a couple of times a piece, but they didn't.

That being said - this sounds like a perfect time to put your booze away...in your stomach! FUNNEL THAT RAGE INTO DRUNKENESS

I thought the ref was pretty good. Raz and I went to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the game and the atmosphere was just amazing. It made the game that much more fun to watch. The place was packed before and after it ended, just a few people were there that weren't watching the game.

Also, got distracted/side tracked at a super masculine "Shake Weight" commercial that cracked us both up.

You were? Steam said you two were playing video games.

However, the Ref made some critical errors in the game. He was not "good" at all. Holland should have had a red card within the first twenty minutes for the obvious boot to the chest. Spain should have gotten cards handed out for sandwiching a guy. The cards toward the end were simply making up for his bad mistakes earlier on in the game. Even the commentators noted that it was a bit questionable on his lack of calls.

Vilmah's post 6/8/10 before the games began.

And still applicable!! Lemme tell you my story...

20 minutes before leaving for the bar, in a red shirt/bandana/earrings (Noj had a yellow t-shirt to match me!), I get a call from my gramma that there's a house on the market. So we HAD to go look at it, because we've been house hunting.. so I cried a bit, and discovered, HURRAY TECHNOLOGY, I COULD WATCH THE GAME ON MY PHONE!! So I did, and when I FINALLY got to the bar, we were 10 minutes into overtime...

And then the goal...

And then I was elated and ecstatic. Called/got calls from my family. Much celebration and laughter.

Yeah, bad calls, I agree.. but Netherlands was doing a lot of weird shit. My favorite dive was when a dude from Spain got tripped, stood up, pat the dude on the back, and the Dutch dude dove forward as if Rambo had just launched him with one arm. F'ing hilarious.

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spanish%20flag-saidaonline.jpg

article-1293271-0A611438000005DC-799_634x427.jpg

SOCCER-articleLarge.jpg

Psychic Octopus is psychic

When you think about it, his predictions weren't off from the predictions most people made throughout the cup. With the exception of Spain vs Germany, most of what he predicted was on par with the general public.

That being seing... it's a FREAKING OCTOPUS.

I dunno about that Vil. I'm pretty sure everyone thought Brasil was gonna make it to the finals.

Honestly, I thought it was going to be Brasil v Germany.

But... I dunno if he even predicted the Brasilian game so .. yeah.

The way the Dutch played in the final game makes me hate them even more for beating Brasil. They played like the freaking Detroit Pistons of the 80s.

He only predicted the games involving Germany, and then since he was hyped so much, they let him predict the final one.

And to be honest, toward the end I had very little faith in Brazil. Their ridding themselves of "The Beatiful Game" style that they used to play has done nothing but turn them mediocre. You know how Spain won? Consistency and strategy.

Okay, watch Spain and people will complain that they're boring because all they do is pass pass pass. Yes, and do you know WHY they pass? Because when they get possession of the ball, they use it to spread out the field. See, it's hard to score when all 11 players are all bunched up near the goal. So Spain will pass back and forth between themselves, luring the other team toward them, and then just as the other dude is right on top of him.. bam! He passes it to someone nobody noticed. And they do this over and over and over until the field is spread, and the other team gets frustrated. So while the Dutch players were trying their damndest to steal the ball by tackling and swinging such, the Spanish players played it cool, waited for breaks in their defense, and went for it.

Spain has an amazing defense. Puyol (my dude!!) scored the winning goal against Germany, and he himself is a defensive player. Our goalie, Casillas, is exceptional. He blocked the few shots on goal the the Dutch managed to make, and it's hard to break Spain's defensive wall.

So yes, while other teams are known for their style (Brazil, though not anymore..) and other teams are known for their aggressiveness (Germany, England) in the end, the team that won was the team that had the best TEAM WORK. No other national teams had that kinda team work, and yanno why?

'cuz more than half of the team plays on the same team year 'round!!

Link to Barcelona's line-up; notice Xavi, Puyol, and "the rest"!

The other national teams just don't have that. They don't have the team-work, and they don't have the consistancy. That's why England lost, that's why America lost; they have great individual players, but in terms of strategy, they're all running around trying to get ball possession, then lose it once they grab it.

And to be honest, toward the end I had very little faith in Brazil. Their ridding themselves of "The Beatiful Game" style that they used to play has done nothing but turn them mediocre.

Lots of Brazilians happen to agree with you.