Akula

If you've seen AVATAR..

If they make Avatar 3D2: You Still Can't Have Our Ore you know I'd be there to see it. I'd expect the story to be nothing new, but I'd expect it to look fucking awesome.

And then for Avatar 3D3: SERIOUSLY NO.

hehe funny titles

Me pointing out another example of a good sequel doesn't make sense?

Kay.

After you said you wouldn't see a sequel to this.. kinda contradictory to your previous point.

Are you for real? Indigenous people are untainted by religion? They only have practices with healthy benefits and none like leeches which actually harm? They don't go around killing each other for silly reasons?

I'm too completely boggled to laugh, because I don't think this was intended as satire.

- - -

More on the topic, I for one would be there opening weekend for Avatar: The Corporation Strikes Back.

I'm afraid you mistaken 'indigenous' with 'medieval'. As far as I know, yes, tribes do kill each other, but NOT IN ALL AREAS OF THE GLOBE. And the leech part is mostly MIDDLE AGE EUROPEAN PRACTICE. The indigenous people tend to just go eat herbs of one kind or another or crush a few bugs or etc. They certainly do not understand WHY it works (heck, even we, with all our Scientific Methods, could scarcely understand what is going on. There's even one branch set up in my Polytechnic solely for the study of Chinese Medicine just so we can figure out why certain combinations even do anything!), but they do know that it works and that is more than enough.

And look at their cooking and eating habits. And then there's that part about the hunter-gatherer lifestyle. There are no McDonald's in the tropical rainforest.

Are you for real? Indigenous people are untainted by religion? They only have practices with healthy benefits and none like leeches which actually harm? They don't go around killing each other for silly reasons?

Leeches actually are beneficial in modern medicine such as with the reattachment of limbs. There is a reason their use persisted for a long time. Cause in a few cases they were actually beneficial. Same with maggots. There are treatments now that make use of both.

Leeches actually are beneficial in modern medicine such as with the reattachment of limbs. There is a reason their use persisted for a long time. Cause in a few cases they were actually beneficial. Same with maggots. There are treatments now that make use of both.

I understand maggots for eating up festering flesh to make way for new ones, but leeches?

All I do know about leeches is that their saliva is an anti-coagulant (great if you want to stop things like artherioschlerosis). What other use do they have?

And look at their cooking and eating habits. And then there's that part about the hunter-gatherer lifestyle. There are no McDonald's in the tropical rainforest.

psychologically everyone depends on each other to survive so everyone is bonded to each other for support. Here, we're all separate and lil' drama queens eatting fast food, stressing, and eating sugar.

which leads to another topic, it wasnt until sugar came to europe that diabetes and tooth decay even existed. Which also leads to other things like obesity, heart disease, etc. So in a way, you're right, indigenous people are "untainted" in that aspect but never forget the power of religion.

The seizing upon inconsequential examples and trolling them aside, our failure to communicate here partially correlates with my assumption of the combination of "modern" and "Western," whereas the rest of you (Thal, Xi, Szo) do not appear to have that (what I thought was typical) association in mind -- so much so that you even think I'm referring to the medieval by my use of the word indigenous. [Though technically our forebears were somewhat "indigenous" to Europe (though even more technically they were not), I think that's a bizarre bastardization of the term, particularly in the context of this discussion.]

Szo, I have been unable to figure out what you thought implied that I believed that all indigenous people were wiped out in the 1800s. I read bits of your link yesterday. I found the Dental Caries section most interesting, particularly in the way it matches up with my own thoughts of avoiding tooth decay. I was already aware that there were several primitive cultures on the planet who did not experience the amount of tooth decay that we do; were you aware there were many others that do?

Which is the third miscommunication occurring here: You assume my stance drawing from probability/generality rules out the Possibility which is favored by your idealistic image of the primitive lifestyle. Finding an herbal remedy that cures the common cold or a primitive who lived to 120 with a full set of teeth does nothing to diminish my point that those are the exceptions to the rule.

Xiphus, tribes have killed each other in every portion of the globe consistently throughout history. It's humanity that's violent, not modern humanity. I didn't realize you were such a strong supporter of herbal remedies, but while some are great, and as a traditionalist I tend to favor the wisdom of our countless forebears, many are useless, in a much greater ratio than modern medicine. And, finally, primitive cultures are by no means "untainted by religion"; indeed, there are many religions out there outside of Christianity -- though very few of them are as constructive, particularly when it comes to primitives' beliefs.

It's easy to say we'd be better off in the old days. Gods know I do it myself. But one must be on guard against romanticising the past/ other lifestyles. Despite all, I do wish we were hunter gatherer. Part of it is my selfish and likely youthful desire for excitement and danger. I feel I and many others turn to our ever flourishing entertainment industry to a potentially unhealthy degree because we are simply bored with a too soft lifestyle. Success can test ones mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

And I'm convinced that it won't continue forever. The higher humanity climbs, the farther the eventual fall will be. Balance is unavoidable. I firmly believe there will be another Dark Age. The cause or extent remains to be seen, but take away enough technology and your average human being is shit outta luck.

And that is why I'd argue we mightve been better off as hunter gatherers. We'd have a better diet than modern man. Epidemics would be non existant. Major disease comes with settling to one area and shitting where you eat and drink...literally. Even if you catch something from wildlife population density is low enough to make it a reletively minor concern. As for religion, I'd have to check back and read up on some things, but I'd always been under the impression that monotheistic religions were the harbingers of mass warfare for the sake of a God. Polytheistic and even shamanic worship was less demanding of an individuals actions, and so you would at least go to battle knowing you were fighting for that guys land or goats or what have you. You might think your gods approve of it, but it wouldn't be this "God wills it!" bullshit from the crusades.

Aaaaand I didn't think the symbolism in avatar was all that impressive...

I understand maggots for eating up festering flesh to make way for new ones, but leeches?

All I do know about leeches is that their saliva is an anti-coagulant (great if you want to stop things like artherioschlerosis). What other use do they have?

They are used for removal of congested blood at a wound site since it's not as invasive as artificial techniques and they make great artificial veins for getting circulation going between the body and say a reattached finger.

One use I read for them was to help prevent a bruise from forming as large like when you get punched in the eye, they can keep it from swelling shut.

I'd always been under the impression that monotheistic religions were the harbingers of mass warfare for the sake of a God. Polytheistic and even shamanic worship was less demanding of an individuals actions, and so you would at least go to battle knowing you were fighting for that guys land or goats or what have you. You might think your gods approve of it, but it wouldn't be this "God wills it!" bullshit from the crusades.

This is a mistaken impression (as well as a few logical fallacies), but just send me a PM if ya wanna know why I think so. (Or start a thread in Politics?) I don't want to cause more off-topic dispute.

The wonderful thing about modernized society is that, if you really want to, you can still eat/exercise/live like a primitive. I agree with the Yusegar's implicit notion that to live in our rapidly developing world with no knowledge or skills for surviving in a less developed sociological climate is both foolish and an ill-use of what's available to us in terms of knowledge. I plan to live somewhat of a tiered development lifestyle in fifteen years, in part because, like Yusegar, I don't believe it's impossible that society could experience some severe retrogression for a short or extended amount of time. Certainly if the zombie apocalypse comes. ;)

It's moved on to a discussion about the evils of modernization. I'd like to be a big blue person, too. Maybe on the weekends.

I'd wonder what would happen when I hooked my pony tail up to another blue person, but I'd probably get in trouble.

For the record I don't wanna be a big blue cat nudist. I wanna be a badass with a spear worried about stabbing my living. Not a college student worrying about kissing ass in the future and the shrinking job market so I can sit all day.

I would like to ride dragon-lizard-bugs and convene with the earthmother and snort crack and jump from tree to tree and wear bead-shirts that half-cover my jibblets and intwine my bizarre ponytail thing with random objects to communicate with them and snort crack.

:'D

I feel I and many others turn to our ever flourishing entertainment industry to a potentially unhealthy degree because we are simply bored with a too soft lifestyle.

This is correct and It's called supplementing real for vicarious experience.

This is why many people have a sense of unfulfillment, though they can't put their finger on why. It is my firm belief that humans need some connection to the earth and their primal spirit, it is necessary to our existence and well being.

The seizing upon inconsequential examples and trolling them aside, our failure to communicate here partially correlates with my assumption of the combination of "modern" and "Western," whereas the rest of you (Thal, Xi, Szo) do not appear to have that (what I thought was typical) association in mind -- so much so that you even think I'm referring to the medieval by my use of the word indigenous. [Though technically our forebears were somewhat "indigenous" to Europe (though even more technically they were not), I think that's a bizarre bastardization of the term, particularly in the context of this discussion.]

Szo, I have been unable to figure out what you thought implied that I believed that all indigenous people were wiped out in the 1800s. I read bits of your link yesterday. I found the Dental Caries section most interesting, particularly in the way it matches up with my own thoughts of avoiding tooth decay. I was already aware that there were several primitive cultures on the planet who did not experience the amount of tooth decay that we do; were you aware there were many others that do?

Which is the third miscommunication occurring here: You assume my stance drawing from probability/generality rules out the Possibility which is favored by your idealistic image of the primitive lifestyle. Finding an herbal remedy that cures the common cold or a primitive who lived to 120 with a full set of teeth does nothing to diminish my point that those are the exceptions to the rule.

Xiphus, tribes have killed each other in every portion of the globe consistently throughout history. It's humanity that's violent, not modern humanity. I didn't realize you were such a strong supporter of herbal remedies, but while some are great, and as a traditionalist I tend to favor the wisdom of our countless forebears, many are useless, in a much greater ratio than modern medicine. And, finally, primitive cultures are by no means "untainted by religion"; indeed, there are many religions out there outside of Christianity -- though very few of them are as constructive, particularly when it comes to primitives' beliefs.

Keep reading the book, Sab. You'll see a comparison between those tribes who did and who didn't.

I would like to ride dragon-lizard-bugs and convene with the earthmother and snort crack and jump from tree to tree and wear bead-shirts that half-cover my jibblets and intwine my bizarre ponytail thing with random objects to communicate with them and snort crack.

:'D

You don't snort crack, you smoke it.

On topic, the movie was entertaining, but the plot devices were so totally telegraphed that I knew what was goong to happen a full half-hour ahead, and I never saw Pocowhatsername.

And all this "innocence of the indigenous peoples" crap makes me wonder if anyone here knows who the Aztecs were and what they used those pyramids for down in what is now Mexico...

EDIT: Oh, by the way, did anyone else think that Sig Weaver's avatar looked like the Cheshire Cat?