Akula

If you've seen AVATAR..

I like big cities. Szo likes outdoorsy areas.

So he can live in the country, and I can live in New York. And the world will be happy, tra-la-la-la-la...

What's the big deal?

By the way, thanks for explaining the symbolism you saw, Szo. When I watch movies, I intentionally don't look for symbolism or anything JUST SO when people ask me about it afterwards, I can't have a conversation about it. Because I don't really give a damn.

But really, this once, I'll accept that the whole thing was symbolic, because otherwise, that plot made me want to shoot myself.

Short savage life is a bit of a myth. Many primitives (I'm not just talking about native americans, we're going global on this) lived in what we would consider harsh conditions and lived just as long as we do... with the exception of our diseases (see: Cancer, Heart Disease, Neuro-degenerative diseases, Psychological disorders etc etc etc...).

If anyone is interested you can do a bit of a search on Vilhijalmur Steffanson and Weston Price. Also, demography studies. Dead at 40? It`s a myth.

Ah, but once they start moving into, say, a medieval society, dying young is VERY NORMAL. Why?

Poor hygiene, poor medical practices (because they pray to God or get leeches to suck them dry or bash their heads with really solid objects to cure themselves) and frequent wars work wonders in reducing population. You will be lucky to live long enough for cancer to set in, if your sodding neighbor didn't try to kill you and take your land (not that all your neighbors are such assholes) and your government haven't decided to pick you up and throw you into the meat grinder for one reason or another.

And besides, dying at age 8 driving the mean down IS considered living not beyond age 40. If you can survive age 8, you are probably a badass then.

Remember, in the past, the main causes of death is not your health. It's the other bastards doing you in.

We're mostly talking about indigenous people, Xiphus. Dunno if that was clear to everyone.

But yeah, middle ages was filled with 1) stupid stuff and 2) disease.

We're mostly talking about indigenous people, Xiphus. Dunno if that was clear to everyone.

But yeah, middle ages was filled with 1) stupid stuff and 2) disease.

Indigenous people are untainted by religion (or rather, religion mixed with politics. Theocracy sucks, mkay?) and they do not go do stupid stuff like praying to God when they could be taking their medicine.

Also, they usually learn early on that certain stuff work wonders on health without necessarily understanding the Science behind it (and the natural world is full of it. Proof that if God exists, he is a master planner who has everything planned out and insist that we use our heads to go find them instead of pleading to Him all the time). Also, they don't go around killing each other off for some silly reason like 'The other guy has a different skin color!' or 'The other guy believes in something I don't believe in!'. Hence why they do, in fact, live long enough to grow old and have grandchildren (and live long enough to see them grow well into adulthood).

Poor hygiene in the Middle Ages had a lot less to do with religion and more to do with overcrowding, open sewer systems, lack of antibiotics, and maritime trade with nations that had the bubonic plague.

IMO.

dipshit.

Poor hygiene in the Middle Ages had a lot less to do with religion and more to do with overcrowding, open sewer systems, lack of antibiotics, and maritime trade with nations that had the bubonic plague.

IMO.

dipshit.

Ah, but remember what government was running the place when it all goes to shit. Muslim civilizations hardly have that problem (except the bubonic plague. That one is global. Even China was hit that time, but not to the same extent as shithole medieval Europe).

WHAT!?

You don't like Avatar!?

I'm going to throw statistics and argue with you until you realize you're wrong!

And I'm going to take all your statistic and set them all on fire, cover my ears and sing "La la la" while you shoot your mouths off. And I'm putting on a blindfold too. And isolate us both in separate soundproof rooms just in case.

I know its not covered, nor explained, anywhere in the movie. Like, at all. Besides that it's an eight year trip there..

But all I can think the entire time I watch Avatar- again and again. *I have the DvD rip. Sue me please* Is of the Moon orbiting Jupiter that is assumed to be near-earth conditions. Infact from time to time during the movie when you see the sky, it shows a gas giant with a 'perma-storm' like Jupiter's- Suggesting it IS a moon orbiting a Gas Giant with near-jupiter conditions aswell. *shrug* Maybe it is just me in the end, but it's all I can think of when I see it.

Also- a few thoughts while looking over this thread.

@ Szordrin; I grew up on five acres of forest nestled in the foothills of the cascade mountains, with a generator and a well. And when we would watch tv, it would be on an air-wave antennae. I spent my entire childhood running around in the woods, learning archery, making campfires, and getting muddy. I would trade all of this for that in a heartbeat

@ All other conversation regarding Avatar- Say what you want about it, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it; but I found the movie very entertaining. It was well driven and although it is a story that has been done before, it was done well. It was a good damn movie, nuff said.

@ James Cameron; If you make a sequel.. IF YOU MAKE A SEQUEL.. I WILL COME TO YOUR HOUSE AND CHOP YOUR LEGS OFF AND BEAT YOU TO DEATH WITH THEM.

What if its as good as the first one?

*All the hidden messages that make people cry like babies aside*

I don't believe in non-pre-planned sequels anymore.

I refuse to believe that something made basically for no other reason than "The first one made us rich, another will make us richer" will be anything but crap.

Hell no.

F that.

James Cameron apparently already has the scripts (or ideas, I forget which) for two more movies. Does that count as a pre-planned sequel?

As for the side discussion in this thread, I've always been torn. On one hand, I love living in cities. On the other hand, I would love to live in the woods somewhere with my own little garden, far away from the nearest town.

I suppose it's a discussion for another thread, but I think modern city/suburb/exurb design and planning is woefully inefficient. Most modern houses are too large. By compacting city design, with modern waste management techniques, we could have almost the best of both worlds- large cities surrounded not by suburbs but by vast swaths of land that can be repurposed as protected wilderness, farms, etc.

Indigenous people are untainted

Are you for real? Indigenous people are untainted by religion? They only have practices with healthy benefits and none like leeches which actually harm? They don't go around killing each other for silly reasons?

I'm too completely boggled to laugh, because I don't think this was intended as satire.

- - -

More on the topic, I for one would be there opening weekend for Avatar: The Corporation Strikes Back.

Take a look at the link I posted Sab. Not all indigenous people were wiped out in the 1800's.

As for a sequel, it all depends. I LOVED Aliens and that was the sequel to Alien. Maybe I am crazy but even after two and a half hours, I was sort of wanting more. I can see a prequel and a sequel coming out of this and knowing Cameron, it wont be bad.

If they make Avatar 3D2: You Still Can't Have Our Ore you know I'd be there to see it. I'd expect the story to be nothing new, but I'd expect it to look fucking awesome.

And then for Avatar 3D3: SERIOUSLY NO.

Still doesn't make sense, Swerto. If you're trying to troll me due to the reference from Alien to Aliens, you're a bad troll. Cameron worked on both of those films.