Akula

If you've seen AVATAR..

I suggest to those who have NOT seen the movie to not read this as it may constitute as a spoiler.. albet a really really funny one.

I FREAKING LOVED this movie, like, I have seen it three time and I'm going to see it again in 3D Imax this wed. And when I read this I lolled SOOO hard cause its SOOO true. xD

Ignore the weird advertisement.. that's what I get for making a picture that adjusts to the size of the forum viewer's forum size..

Also I edited the post.. for thos eof you who read it and got confused, apologies.. its rather late/early X-X

LOL, that does make perfect sense haha

but IMHO Avatar is Still the most amazing movie ever

only problem I had was the ore is "unobtanium?" so laaame

Unobtainable? Titanium? laame

Heh, that's funny. Though in the end of Avatar, they don't settle their differences... the humans are sent packing!

Eight years, I tell ya! Doesn't matter if your arrows are six feel tall - you are going down!

I thought the movie was alright. Effects are cool, but the story is very stale. Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, Fern-Gully, etc. Sure, there's hardly any true original movie these days, but I think this one kinda struck me because it was a bit preachy.

And I agree with Abric. Those humans aren't going anywhere. Earth media would paint it as a massacre and the Nevari as demons, then come back with a fucking armada.

I saw this done with Eragon and Star Wars and several other movie comparisons.

I did the Eragon-star wars comparison live in front of my English class for lol's, then saw a Simmental one on the internet shortly afterwards.

I thought the movie was alright. Effects are cool, but the story is very stale. Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, Fern-Gully, etc. Sure, there's hardly any true original movie these days, but I think this one kinda struck me because it was a bit preachy.

And I agree with Abric. Those humans aren't going anywhere. Earth media would paint it as a massacre and the Nevari as demons, then come back with a fucking armada.

Come on guys it's a fictional story, stretch your imagination for a bit.

Heh, that's funny. Though in the end of Avatar, they don't settle their differences... the humans are sent packing!

Eight years, I tell ya! Doesn't matter if your arrows are six feel tall - you are going down!

Just like Pocahantas, and just like Pocohantus the settlers would come back with an armada and fuck up the demons.

The story isn't bad, it's just been done so many times like your pic and others have said. I just got back from watching it in 3d (we had planned to see it in iMax, but we assumed that getting there more than an hour before it started there wouldn't be any problems with getting tickets).

The CG is pretty amazing and I loved all the alien critters. I didn't care so much for the humanoids just because I have a peeve about unrealisticly skinny lack of ribcages in humanoid torso's...but that's the art teacher in me :P Ears and eyes were cool though.

UNOB-FUCKING-TANIUM is the only real problem that I had with that movie.

And my favorite part was when Trish died. (I think that was her name, right?)

Though I honestly found it hard to relate to the Na'vi. Yes, I can relate to their problems, but to them as a race? In fact, I have an easier time emphasizing with District 9's Prawns, who, despite looking so alien, are very human-like in personality, behavior and actions.

Though I honestly found it hard to relate to the Na'vi. Yes, I can relate to their problems, but to them as a race? In fact, I have an easier time emphasizing with District 9's Prawns, who, despite looking so alien, are very human-like in personality, behavior and actions.

I didn't relate to them either, But I really dont feel like we were supposed to relate to them >.>.. they are VERY different from humans In my opinion

UNOB-FUCKING-TANIUM is the only real problem that I had with that movie.

I thought this was covered in the other thread...

It's actually a real term. Look it up.

Personally was more interested in the idea that the planet was an ecosystem entirely interdependent on a hive mind sort of thing. <.< That and the brain stem extensions in the hair. I thought that was pretty clever.

Well, that too. I enjoyed all of the symbolism in the movie which is what made the plot for me. I think if people didn't get/enjoy the symbolism that the plot might have come across as weak.

I agree with szo. The final showdown between the colonel and Jake was very interesting.

I also cringed at how stereotypically "heartless marine" the colonel was, but it didn't keep me from lusting after his beefy body ;)

As for unobtainium? I could see people realistically calling some mineral in a solar system far far away something like that. We don't see much of any backstory of how the humans found the planet and travelled to it (the first time).

I'd add my 2p, but it's already been said. Visually stunning rendition of a story we've heard a dozen times.

It is definitely worth seeing in theaters, and definitely worth the few extra bucks to see it in 3D. They don't do (much of) the cheesy 3D shit where they throw stuff at the screen, but the 3D adds depth to the scenery in a grand way.

Personally was more interested in the idea that the planet was an ecosystem entirely interdependent on a hive mind sort of thing. <.< That and the brain stem extensions in the hair. I thought that was pretty clever.

Indeed. And yet it was so underexplored by the humans. I guess this can be rationalized that the scientists had already moved beyond this novelty to the discovery that everything on the entire planet was connnected by the same fibers, and that Sully just plain didn't care about a single thing besides dangerous critters.

All the same, a lot of novelties in the movie were just met with shrugs by the humans.

The plot was weak and clichéd, and in response to Szo, the symbolism behind it offensive all-around.

I saw Avatar the same week that I read Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, and even though the latter is for novels, the storytelling was driving me nuts as I recognized poorly written scene after poorly written scene. The characters were flat and plot-driven. I watched Sully for 2 1/2 hours and I still don't understand him even a little bit. The dialogue was OK, but dull.

The effects were awesome. The only reason to see this movie is for the animation. If I were editing the movie, I'd cut out each and every scene on the base, reducing the overall length of the movie to a tolerable 1 1/2 hours. I doubt the plot would even notice.

Well, it's all opinion. Granted, I the most obvious symbolism is that in which can be related to the White Messiah. Honestly, at first I didn't think much of it rather than seeing the relation between British colonists and Native Americans (as well as trail of tears).

I briefly mentioned some at the beginning of this thread but I think the real message outside of the White Messiah is what James Cameron was going for: his views on the war, environment, POSSIBLY tied into his dislike for gold/diamond/oil(maybe) mines. I mean, the beginning of the film looked exactly like the gold mines out of Australia.

The correlation to war, and I think Cameron has been doing this in more than just this film, is that I can tell he sees alot of the American Conflicts simply as a means to gain a corporate advantage/private company's interests. In Aliens, the marines that are employed are employed through a private company, they aren't there because the Government wants them to be (from my memory that is). Similar to that in Aliens, you have marines being employed by a company who obviously makes a shit ton of money based off of the minerals/ore/whatever being mined. I mean, he makes this reference BLATANTLY obvious when he has the marine commando refer to the Na'vi as terrorists. Then, has Sulley explain the whole demonizing a race in order to get to a precious commodity dealy (which has been in American propaganda for ages. WW2, anyone?).

Sorry, Sab. I would have elaborated more but I feel like I am borderline entering politics by pointing out what I thought the movie was all about.

I saw it as more of a political message than anything else. I -know- other people did in the theatre because I witnessed others walk out because they disagreed with Cameron's views.

edit: Forgot to add. While I know that this is very faint, there is some feminism symbolism in there but that's mostly tied to the race in which the Na'vi were based around.

There's other stuff in that article that I am teetering back and forth with about responding. I feel like if I do, this'll become a political clusterfuck.