Yatokth

UniversitYat

As I feel my figure study thread now defunct as I move into a broader and new realm of artsing (If you don't know, I moved into SCAD this new year, art and design school) I have created this new thread (with title idea shamelessly stolen from Dio) to house all art I'll be creating for the next few years, classwork or otherwise.

As with all of my art threads, critiques are highly encouraged (I LOVE THEM) and I hope you like it!

We'll kick it off with this new Raven Cross poster I've been devising for awhile now, Kinsmen of the Slain:

KinsmenoftheSlainY.png

As you may or may not be able to tell, it has a secondary viewpoint:

KinsmenoftheSlainL.png

Inspired by:

Brothers, I am calling

From the Valley of the Kings

With nothing to atone

A dark march lies ahead

Together we will ride

Like thunder from the sky

May your sword stay wet

Like a young girl in her prime

Hold your hammers high

Blood and death are waiting

Like a raven in the sky

I was born to die

Hear me while I live

As I look into your eyes

None shall hear a lie

Power and dominion are taken by the will

By divine right

Hail and Kill

~ Hail and Kill, Manowar

Now the only question is which orientation I put on the guild recruitment thread.

EDIT: Brushes used: CLICK MEH

We're Red and Black, but as dichromatic color schemes (excluding black and white, and even then) don't really look good for websites, we added some yellows and oranges to compliment it, and I felt the image, when vectored, needed more texture and color, so I just winged it.

A stunning image- very well done. This picture has alot of being to it, as opposed to much art you see these days which is just a flat picture, and that is all it is. The motion was done very well, and the splotches of orange were placed perfectly. I wouldn't change a thing even if I had to. *applaud*

We're Red and Black, but as dichromatic color schemes (excluding black and white, and even then) don't really look good for websites, we added some yellows and oranges to compliment it, and I felt the image, when vectored, needed more texture and color, so I just winged it.

Coolio, beautiful piece of work again Yat

I like it a lot...Leo on the bottom. >_>

...seriously tho, it's a bit harder to make him out when he's on top. I had to look at it for a while to make the figure out.

I'm not sure why, and I'm probably wrong about this but I'd personally would dig a bit of white splash in there. Other than I adore it..maybe the white will be too much but idk, I love it as it is too.

I like it a lot...Leo on the bottom. >_>

...seriously tho, it's a bit harder to make him out when he's on top. I had to look at it for a while to make the figure out.

He's a less well-constructed figure and viewing him in his original drawing perspective is more natural - I didn't do the perspective as well on Leoren as I did on Yat, probably because the composition wasn't in my original vision of the piece, but it just evolved into that.

That's my primary personal critique, Leo's perspective isn't as good.

Also I used the border for visual weight, Leo has the sort of diagonal frame juxtaposed to the 1 px stroke with the logo, while Yat just has a big ass stroke. You might prefer subconciously the large stroke on top.

I'm not sure why, and I'm probably wrong about this but I'd personally would dig a bit of white splash in there. Other than I adore it..maybe the white will be too much but idk, I love it as it is too.

I thought about white myself, but:

1 - Not a traditional guild color. Wouldn't fit the analogous over-vector thing I had going.

2 - It would almost assuredly draw too much attention to itself if it were isolated, or if I used it in highlight, make the picture so busy you wouldn't be able to make out the forms. It would put it out of balance, in essence.

At least that was my take, I didn't actually TRY it, so you never know.

Also I used the border for visual weight, Leo has the sort of diagonal frame juxtaposed to the 1 px stroke with the logo, while Yat just has a big ass stroke. You might prefer subconciously the large stroke on top.

Yat's face has a solid orange highlight, whereas Leo's face has 3 colors breaking it up. When he is on the bottom, the eye picks up that his face is a face more naturally despite the change in colors. Since Yat's face is fairly cleanly highlighted, the eye can still pick it out and recognize that it is a face even upside down.

I am so excited to see this colored. I think it's fucking awesome. And I agree with Leo, I think it's possibly one of your best pieces to date.

I like Leo on the bottom because you can make his face out a bit more clearly, see the detail you put into it, while Yat's you can make out at either angle. I love the little cross at the bottom as well, a nice touch.

*makes background*

Yat's face has a solid orange highlight, whereas Leo's face has 3 colors breaking it up. When he is on the bottom, the eye picks up that his face is a face more naturally despite the change in colors. Since Yat's face is fairly cleanly highlighted, the eye can still pick it out and recognize that it is a face even upside down.

Another distinction that I actually agonized over while creating the piece - I WANTED to highlight Leo's face, but it looked cheesy and too planned, so I eventually ended up adding visual weight in other areas.

Strangely, I like the one with Leo on top better. For some reason my mind has a trouble parsing Yat's face upside-down, and the result creates the illusion that his body and head are skewed. Obviously I am wired differently from most others on this thread.

But "semantically" I like the one with Yat on top better, because it makes more sense for the undead to be hanging from the ceiling.

I'm weird.

Strangely, I like the one with Leo on top better. For some reason my mind has a trouble parsing Yat's face upside-down, and the result creates the illusion that his body and head are skewed. Obviously I am wired differently from most others on this thread.

But "semantically" I like the one with Yat on top better, because it makes more sense for the undead to be hanging from the ceiling.

I'm weird.

lol.

Personally, I like the one with leo on top because that's how I started the piece (I did Yat first) and so that's the view that my brain thinks is the 'original' or the best.

After further examination though, it has more movement and rhythm with leo on bottom.

Yatroll.jpg

"An Amani. Clothed in beads and wrapped in some fel jewelry, carrying a massive battle axe, eyes alight with bloodlust, and body bristling of paint and sweat, yearning for the call of battle."

SKETCH DUMP:

SCADSketch1.jpg

Starring:

- Rorschach dramatic drapery study

- Gestural drawing of a random girl

- Chance drawing of a singer with no mapping

- Zeratul

I've taken to drawing in animator's blue pencils, so if I want to I can "ink" with a mechanical pencil or simply a pen and key out the blue. Haven't actually done it yet though.

These scans are much lower quality than before due to I haven't really figured out the flatbeds at the hall yet.