Durane

Google Wave

Anyone using it? What are you using it for? So far it's been absolutely useless to me. I was seriously excited to get an invite and now... Why, Google? WHY?!

IF you want an invite for some reason, though, I've got a few I can give out. Not sure what else to do with it.

It's a way to collaborate in real time... combining instant messaging with social networking and various development paradigms, such as version controls. If you have no reason to work on "something" with "someone else", then it really is just a spiffed up IM.

It also includes translation tools so you can chat with someone else who uses a different language with no problem (minus translation foibles), has full my space, twitter, facebook, etc connectivity so it can be used to make edits to all off them once your accounts are linked, can send an email without going to a seperate client, and allows for real time editing of everything in your chat. Not to mention allows you to import your friends list from any major social networking site, all other IM clients, and receive IM's and updates as a whole from all of them at the same time. So someone says something on your linked facebook account you see it in google wave.

Thats just the surface of it too ;p. For your average guy they may not get more than the IM part of it but for some people it is going to become a major app of choice. I would say watch the whole demo video because it is pretty cool but it is very long....

Why would anyone want to work with other people. They always frack the work up.

*Flashback to Freshman year doing 5-person "group" presentation alone*

Thanks, Karkarov. That explains quite a bit. It does sound like it'll do some awesome stuff.

Nadea sent me an invite and a bunch of us chatted for a bit but I didn't see what the fuss was about.

Why would anyone want to work with other people. They always frack the work up.

*Flashback to Freshman year doing 5-person "group" presentation alone*

I used to snark with another four people in a group presentation. It wasn't that bad, it depends if you have teammates who 'click' with you.

It also includes translation tools so you can chat with someone else who uses a different language with no problem (minus translation foibles), has full my space, twitter, facebook, etc connectivity so it can be used to make edits to all off them once your accounts are linked, can send an email without going to a seperate client, and allows for real time editing of everything in your chat. Not to mention allows you to import your friends list from any major social networking site, all other IM clients, and receive IM's and updates as a whole from all of them at the same time. So someone says something on your linked facebook account you see it in google wave.

Thats just the surface of it too ;p. For your average guy they may not get more than the IM part of it but for some people it is going to become a major app of choice. I would say watch the whole demo video because it is pretty cool but it is very long....

are these planned features, or current features? Because if there's a way to import IM client friends, or even the facebook stuff, I'm not seeing it.

The biggest hurdle I think it's going to have is that people see it and end up simply unimpressed and walk away.

So for more examples of how it can be used, have some public waves:

Roleplaying on the Wave: Dedicated Discussion Wave

Roleplaying on the Wave: An Index of Wave-Borne RPGs

(Quite possible those links won't work, I'm still trying to figure out how to properly link them.)

There's a bit of interest circulation about using it to run RPGs, and from everything I've seen it looks to be fairly successful. It will likely only get better as more apps and bots and such are released.

One feature I'd like to see though is still an option to turn off editing, especially on the initial blip. Granted, so far it seems everyone's being courteous on public waves, but if something like that becomes a problem public waves will likely cease to exist rather quickly.

are these planned features, or current features? Because if there's a way to import IM client friends, or even the facebook stuff, I'm not seeing it.

they do it in the video demo I saw, don't ask me how I don't actually have the google wave client myself. Not that I use social networking sites anyway ;p. You may need to download a module or wave app to do it but again I wouldn't know where to get em....