Chikt

Making an Un-Clunky UI

So after Yatokth's comment in another thread I decided that I needed to do something about my UI. Previously it was the result of getting several different addons over time, I'd not put much effort into making my screen less busy. Since I want to be doing more recording, it seemed a good idea to reduce the busy-ness levels.

UnclunkyUI.jpg

So this is what I have now. I dramatically increased the space around the character and moved my target panes to be in easier sight. You can't see it, but the party pane has been changed to no longer show buffs and debuffs or target or target, and the raid character panes have been reduced down to about 50% their previous size to give more space in the center of the screen. The Titan Bar is set to fold out on mouse over at the top of the screen, and I also modified my map to not show location or time unless moused over too.

I'm still not 100% sure about it, but it at least feels a little better. Post up your own UI with your screen resolution and hopefully we can make some un-clunky UI's for people.

That said, any suggestions?

Here's my stance on add-ons:

What could you absolutely not play without?

What would make your experience different, but maybe not all that much more convenient?

What do you have for lolz?

Everything you answer at 1, you keep, everything for 2, you ditch, and 3 is conditional depending on the amount of lolz provided.

I use ecastingbar (because it makes my reaction time faster - since blizz unit frames are incapable of disabling NPCs, I can't use those cast bars for world PvP. This also gives me a focus cast bar) and Gladius (ease of arena focus targs and switches) only when I asked those questions.

This is my UI:

YatUI.png

Now I realize since you have healing capability you would need xperl or a similar raid addon, but other than that, why have all those extra addons?

I also usually play much more zoomed out than this screenie, but as it's in arena, my view was auto-zoomed.

If you are making PvP videos, keybindings will work without you having your UI up.

Or - you can make your UI extremely small so that you still have the utility of clicking whatever it is you want when you want it ... but its not taking up 1/5 of your screen.

You also don't need chat if you are making videos! That is what voice comms are for.

PvPing without a UI = Lose.

Your post = Fail

I call b.s.

Mister pro keybinder doesn't need a UI, just spam your lava nuke spell like a good little elemental shammie.

Edit: yeah, they already covered that above me.

v75c7b.png

Big picture, I added in the text before resizing, sooo whoops!

This is pretty much what my UI looks like, my action bars are super minimal because I use the addon Opie for my buffs, food, mounts, demons, quest items, and trade skills. Ontop of my action bars is an addon called ForteXorcist I think, black bar is a CD tracker, ontop of my pet bar is the spell timer that comes with. It has a shaman version, which is why I'm bothering to mention it.

For chat options, I would definitely go about getting Prat from wowinterface or curse.com, and cellular for a mimalistic whisper handler.

Action bars are bartender4, cast bar is AZCastBar, user frames are pitbull, SLDT are those neat numbers in that cute little bar on the bottom, cool ass moveable buffs/debuffs are Satrina Buff Frames.

Things I suggest: Putting your user frames where you can see them, so you don't need that stupid ass HUD or whatever they call it. It just seems like needless clutter, IMO. Get rid of your microbar or whatever, they have keybindings, only show when you need to open a ticket. I would even suggest placing your chat frames where I placed mine. You can do that already with the layout your UI is in.

Hope I helped :x

What could you absolutely not play without?

What would make your experience different, but maybe not all that much more convenient?

What do you have for lolz?

This is exactly what I went through when setting this up.

The health and mana bars are a must, because it lets me know when I'm being focussed without needing to look at the corner of my screen. xPerl is there for the off heal utility.

Stuff I had for lolz has been removed, or actually cleans up my UI - like the map addon that I've got.

If you are making PvP videos, keybindings will work without you having your UI up.

Or - you can make your UI extremely small so that you still have the utility of clicking whatever it is you want when you want it ... but its not taking up 1/5 of your screen.

You also don't need chat if you are making videos! That is what voice comms are for.

I am not so sure that being a caster and doing things without a UI up is as easy as you think. Being a melee DPS and doing it is one thing, but I have to watch cooldowns, party members health to do off-healing if necessary, totem timers...

I could make the UI smaller, but I still want it to be functional OUTSIDE of combat. And as far as the chat goes - we have a lot of people in the guild that can't talk over vent. So it's not really so much of an option.

I call b.s.

Mister pro keybinder doesn't need a UI, just spam your lava nuke spell like a good little elemental shammie.

Edit: yeah, they already covered that above me.

You have no idea how to play a good elemental shaman if you think it's just spamming lava burst. :P

UnclunkyUI2.jpg

Took some of Vaaldis' UI stuff and threw it into my own. Dramatically reduced the size of all my buttons and got an addon for my chat (for the lolz) so I could reduce the size of text and put some timestamps on world defense.

I also changed the guild chat from "Guild" to "The Nest" :D

I'd consider moving the mini-map and maybe your character frame down towards the bottom, so that if your looking around your screen your eye doesn't have to go far, allowing you to spot things in your 'view' alittle easier. I found that helped me out a tad.

Edit- Freaky...thats the same color for InfectionOOC as I have on mine.

I also changed the guild chat from "Guild" to "The Nest" :D

:o I should do that, too.

UI looks much better! Jeed made a point with the user frames and the mini map, too. I might even find a spot for my mini map down there.

UI looks much better! Jeed made a point with the user frames and the mini map, too. I might even find a spot for my mini map down there.

I would move it down there but I can't move my buffs, and I don't want to clutter up the bottom of my screen TOO much. The minimap does look good in the bottom right, but since I cannot move my buffs and debuffs it looks like silly with them just floating up there.

I would move it down there but I can't move my buffs, and I don't want to clutter up the bottom of my screen TOO much. The minimap does look good in the bottom right, but since I cannot move my buffs and debuffs it looks like silly with them just floating up there.

Getting xperl would help in allowing you to add more customizable options, even shorten/lengthen the size of the character frames as well.

-Edit- Wait. Your using xperl. You know, you CAN actually fiddle around with the size and location of the buffs. And clutter issues are mostly just something you're gonna need to adjust over time. My first attempts at making a new UI looked alot like yours, then I decided to stack my bars in the middle, sort of like a flight HUD, but not really. I'm still looking for ways to change it, but due to the size of my screen, there isnt much for me to do that doesn't make it just look odd.

My ui is clunky, but it has plenty of bars where i likes them, 45f2c4ea86659c08b4c2532effa5813e78207a03.png

I now have shield of righteousness under hammer of righteousness and also to the right of holy wrath (should i ever use holy wrath and have my moose over there)

Jesus Christ Lurile....

Anyways: LOOK AT ME!!

I use addons I personally deem necessary, if I don't use them regularly they get pitched.

Quest Helper: Because I'm a lazy git who doesn't read his quests half of the time.

One Bag 3: It turns all of your bags into one big bag, like a guild vault, easy peazy. Oh, and yes it isn't always up like that, it collapses like your default blizzard bags.

X-perl It organizes my buffs, and gives me a wider health bar, it allows me to more easily keep track of my character's status.

Grid Almost forgot about this one... One of my alts is a healer... so... yeah.

.... And my icon is pretty cool.... doesn't afraid of anything.... chya.

2w50d4i.jpg

I've been working hard and playing with a my Unit frames, and well.. This is what I have to show for it.. Be warned.

xlbkw6.jpg

Basically for anatomy, my frame is below my health, my target below my mana, and my focus above my gladius. I tried to organize my spells based on my healing spells being above my cooldowns / Totems, and my offensive abilities being to the right of my healing spells. Additional cooldowns are to the right as well as clickables and mounts, and the turkey gun is taking the place of my traditional "Assist Friend" macro that I can't take away.

It needs A LOT of work. I liked Dio's example UI, so I took it and tailored it to my playstyle with the idea of keeping everything sort-of close together, but after looking at it it looks incredibly jumbled and mashed up. I think I'm going to spread things out, and size things down and see what comes of it. I may also play around with moving things around for ease. Possibly swapping places between the focus and Gladius for ease of sight, and I may possibly just bag the whole "Player frame on the bottom" thing to clear things up.

An irking pet peeve of mine is that I don't know how to get rid of that frame that overlaps my map when I highlight something.

Something I like about the way I set it up is how I gave the bag an "Open all" feature and put goodie abilities that I don't need to click and my various hearthing abilities up in the corner where they are out of the way.

Yup. Feel free to critique and advise. Like I said, this isn't what I plan on truly rolling with, but it's the best I could come up with between study sessions at 2AM while suffering sleep deprivation. Consider it a "Rough draft" if you will.

EDIT: I should also note that I do not plan on making PvP videos as Dio is, thus I have no plan on building a UI based on other people's tastes. Also the Gladius frames wont show up in any non-arena situation.