Yuse Stabs (at) ART!

So, I've always wanted to do something to contribute to this section, but can't draw for shit. My handwriting is even compared unfavorably to egyptian hieroglyphics.

However! I've started a project that I feel is at least partially artistic, and I get to use dangerous manly tools. And it's Viking.

IMGP0396.jpg

I definetly have a lot of work to do, but I've just finished the more difficult painting process. The boss (metal part) I had to order online, as I don't have access to a forge. The eagle I got with a little computer work, printed, and painstakingly traced onto the wood.

IMGP0398.jpg

I'll cut out the middle circle there for a hand grip and rivet the boss on over the hole. I plan to reenforce on top and below the handgrip bar, and carve an inscription around the edge of the shield, and stain that red as well. The rest of the shield will be that green. Also, I have to put raw-hide around the rim, which will also be fun to learn to do.

Slow going teaching myself all this shit to make the shield, but I got an idea for how I want it to look in my head and refuse to sop working on it till I've made it look exactly how I imagine it.

I like it! Really inspiring since I am also someone with the heiroglyphic handwriting and inability to draw.

Perhaps I will put my own workins down here too. Though I am more into ah.. Paper folding and sewing than badass shieldcrafting.

But really, it's very nice. I like the whole family background thing too. Adds personality.

Tongue and grooved it. I really wanted it to have the planked look, and I thought it would add a little extra strength, even though it's not exactly period authentic. I'm definitly putting bracers on the back. Essentially it will be three bars (either of a hard wood (giggidy) like Oak or metal, I'm undecided currently), the middle one being the handle I actually grip the shield with which centers behind the boss.

• 1 year later...

Used to have one of my swords hanging over my bed, but couldn't sleep while I was feeling like Damocles... Still as long as you've got it hung up nice and secure...

The runic around the rim is a nice touch. I also really like how the green paint/stain you used isn't to perfect. It's saturated the wood at different levels in different places and gives it a nice "used" look.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This project is finished. Ish. I recently totaled my truck and got into some legal trouble, so money is tighter. I had to rig up a more economical handle from whatever I could get for free, which is strictly functional as opposed to authentic and showy.

c7eceb85.jpg

But it does the job. I thought to paint'stain the back, but for some reason I rather prefer the clean wood on back. Could use some aging, but that'll come with time. Here's one for some idea on the size.

c6a61418.jpg

0dc32657.jpg

I'll eventually want to raw-hide the very rim, but other than that and potentially some re-enforcing on the back, I'm satisfied.

In the meantime, I'm trying my hand at Mead Brewing

5ca4b468.jpg