IlleLatro

Blizzard: The Sexist Bastards of the Gaming World

OK, I readily admit the plate-mail bikinis, which annoyed me and I'm male, but this interpretation of the StarCraft universe is trying so hard to prove the sexism that it's just funny. Was this person playing the same game I did? The Medic speaks in a sexy, sultry voice? Hah! She was chipper as I'll get out. I could equally argue that the Protoss (led by a Matriarch) were the perfection of form, and the Zerg -- with their hive mind and plans for world domination -- were perfection of essence.

Back to "okay, if this is true" hilarity, if you're surprised that game programmers view women as unknowable, sexual objects, then you're more out of touch than I thought.

Read it for a laugh.

Hey, wait, did he bold "so hard" to emphasize the text in the way he would speak, or as a sexist reference to male genitalia...?

Aw, not all game programmers do. It's more the fact that a lot of gamers feel this way, so they market in that direction to make money.

Well...if you're looking at it from that angle, honestly Blizzard doesn't really spare men either. I mean if you look at them, it looks like the designers flipped a triangle downward, stuck it on two thick trunks and then endowed the beast with a small head complete with an ape like sagittal crest in the case of WoW Orcs. Introduce the peon, and you get the oafish brute of a male. Listen to their jokes? They're not terribly bright. Tauren even have jokes referencing rodeos and sex at the same time.

Even the male humans come across as arrogant, jokes, voice actors and even the way they STAND is screaming "I've got a penis and therefore my pecs should be large enough to dramatically tear through any shirt I wear!"

While I agree that there's a lot of sexuality forced in onto the females of any race designed by blizzard, you can't deny the sexist forces they've ALSO worked on the males.

I have to agree with the points made by Vil and Feral. It's a game for one you can't take it all that seriously.

Blizzard takes just as much time to poke fun at the guys as the gals. Think about all the jokes made about fantasy armor for female characters. I'm pretty sure that the plate mail bikini was a spin off of chain mail bikinis you can find at any bad ren fair or fanatsy shop. Most likely works better as a chastity belt too. xD

I find it funny that for the most part guys embrace their stereotypes while dolls get all upset about em.

This gal doesn't. Hell, I love trying to find the trashiest get up for boudika.

By the way, I love LOVE the fact that you used "dolls" yay!

Haha, my best friend calls me "doll"... it's all good.

I don't know about Blizzard, but the guys I know at Mythic aren't really sexist at all. The people who play their games on the other hand... either way, I'm not complaining. At least it's not like those ads I see for Evony.

Evony-tits-advertising.jpg

evony-lover-364x300.jpg

It isn't even an MMO! xD (Also, the 2nd one's boobs look AWKWARD.)

brb, downloading evony.

The Medic speaks in a sexy, sultry voice?

Yes. Well, not sexy, sultry, sort of a "oh, where does it hurt" with a wry grin and one hand holding fuzzy handcuffs behind her back type sexy.

My favourite Evony ad is the one that's just a pair of breasts in a lacy bra.

And the numerous ones that detail stuff in game, that is not actually in the game.

I always find it amusing how the ladies that game have no issues with the way a female character looks. Some of the male players get up in arms (going either direction) and the ladies who don't game (and for the most part refuse to for various reasons not excluding 'it's evil devil worship') Get their panties in a bunch over it all. These discussions come and go all the time.

Then again if I had a body half as awesome as any in game chick.....I don't think I'd have any real qualms about dressing like that. Just make sure that there is a healer who wouldn't get distracted by the outfit in a fight and I'm all good. LOL!

Dude, if I had glowing black and red robes with skulls on spikes on my shoulders and a hood that gave me glowing red eyes, I'd rock that shit EVERYWHERE.

Deal with it or don't play.

"Women in this and many computer games are depicted as sexual objects, and nothing more. Simply put, women are much more than that. Women, men… we are people, humans… nothing more, nothing less. Just because some of us have breasts, and others penises, does not make either more of an object of sex, nor more an object of power. We are of America, where we claim that we're all equal; equal rights, equal opportunities, equal power, equal sexuality. Therefore, it is not right to ingrain into our minds (through our entertainment) that one gender is only for the sake of sexuality. (For examples of the ways that women are overly sexualized in these games, see the attached "evidence" quotes.) Although this is a distinct problem, as these sexual identities get ingrained in us as we recreate, this is not actually the issue that I wish to address at the moment."

Yeah you know because you can totally see the medics rack in that power suit. OH LORDY LORDY BLIZZARD MADE A GAME BACK IN THE 90s WITH SEX JOKES. FFFFF SEXIST. DERP DERP. LETS DIG AROUND FOR SOMETHING TO BITCH ABOUT PLEASE.

The ghosts in that game are male for the most part except Kerrigan, (Who again looks like she's dressed in a pilots outfit or something.)

For one thing its not even "our" world per-say so Blizzard could have made up ANY rules they wanted about the government and stuff, its their game and their creations lore.

Most of those quotes are taken out of context, by a retard trying to raise a stink about something innocent.

the person who wrote this needs a slap upside the head.

Most of the StarCraft quotes were taken directly from John Cameron's "Aliens"

To speak bad about this movie is to remove your genitals and walk amongst the cursed of this world.

For every female character in a game that is sexualized, there's at least 1 or 2 male characters that are just as sexualized.

Even in games geared towards male audiences, it's phenomenal how much work is put into making male characters sexualized. Seriously... the guys in those games are just as unlikely to exist in the real world as the most sexualized female character.

The same is true with comic books... best examples being any spandex wearing male superhero.

Also, sexuality is a base part of human nature... even the bible is full of it, as much as some would deny that.

Although what the article says is generally true - It doesn't really apply in Starscraft and using it as an example to express her point manages more to undermine it.

Aside from Kerrigan promo art outside the game, its hard to see many women in that game depicted as sexual objects. In fact the few women in it are placed in position of power such as the valkyrie pilots and The Protos Matriarch and none of this are sexual. The Terran Medic is another example - Yeah she plays on nurse stereotypes as a joke if you keep clicking on her but overall she is not depicted as sexually as say Lara Croft or just about every other female game character out there.

My rifts game from last summer was sexist, partially because we had some girls playing it with us.

I'll drop an example. A prominent npc character was named "Jessica R. Abbot", and described as looking like jessica alba with bigger tits, was blind, and made the whole party sandwiches on a few occasions.

She's got a cute face through her space helmet.

So? Do you want to spend half an hour trying to create the ultimate siege tank line while having to stare at the face of your mother-in-law in the process? Who would you rather take glimpses of? The cute girl or the mother-in-law? And the Valkyrie pilots? The women I will steer away from for certain.

And honestly, I think the article in the link is over-reading. I thought the concept is pretty simple! Protoss are about using the right people for the right situation, Terrans are about technology, numbers and versatility and Zergs are Soviets!