Necroxis

3.2.2 will bring the return of a familiar enemy.

In honor of WoWs 5th year anniversary, Blizzard is revamping the Onyxia encounter to a 10/25 mode, tuning it to level 80, and changing her loot table to reflect the increase in difficulty.

Blue post as follows:

She has lurked in her lair and done battle with the many brave adventurers who travelled to that familiar location over the years. Now, in honor of the World of Warcraft 5-year anniversary, the dreaded brood mother Onyxia is being revamped to make a return to the forefront of Azeroth, as part of our big plans for the upcoming 3.2.2 content patch.

This permanent update to Onyxia will convert the dungeon into 10- and 25-player modes. We will be adding new items to Onyxia’s loot table that have the same model as some of the classic loot from this dungeon, like Tier 2 helms, with stats updated to match the current level of content. There will be a special new item too: a normal drake-sized 310% speed flying mount modeled after Onyxia herself called an Onyxia Broodling. We will also be updating the encounter mechanics to be more fitting for modern raiding, but we can guarantee players will get to experience the frightening horror of deep breaths once again.

Then for a limited time, after the 5-year anniversary event officially begins in November, anybody who logs in will receive an Onyxia Brood Whelpling pet.

We’re very excited to bring this classic encounter back to provide a fun new experience for both new and veteran players. Further details will be available in the near future, and we will be setting up the Public Test Realms soon to help test out this fight along with all the new content we have planned for the patch. Keep an eye on the forums for updates!

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=19110028331&sid=1

I think people need to understand that it's completely illogical for an MMO to throw their entire team of techies against one issue. They ARE updating the server hardware, we just kinda got screwed as not being one of those first servers.

Not to mention that not everyone who blizzard employs knows how to do everything to change every aspect of the game.

I'm kinda tired about hearing about this now. Yes, it sucks when we have to wait like 20 mins for an instance (Personally I haven't waited more than about 7ish for any instance myself), but chill out people. At least be glad the damn game is working.

The reason that I like Blizzard as a company so much is that they have tons of throwback to players and such, look at the items in-game they created. For example, the bow and the phoenix hatchling for that little boy from Make a Wish Foundation, or the leather chestpiece for that person who ran a very respectable druid blog and had to quit WoW because of having a child.

And then there's stuff like this; Onyxia has become an iconic-ish boss in WoW, and I think it's so incredible that they're revamping the encounter.

Yeah. Revamping an encounter we'll have to wait fifty-minutes to play because we're trying to get into the instance.

SEE WHAT I DID THERE.

How much you want to bet that they'll make her Deep Breath more often just so that when someone says "I think Onyxia is using Deep Breath more often" (as they always do after a patch) that person will actually be right for once? I like run on sentences.

/who onyxia's lair at 12:57 AM Thursday Aug 13th = 0 players.

The only people who run that now are bored Paladins and DKs who can solo it and even that isn't worth the money anymore.

I think that it would be even greater if they tied it lore wise into what they have planned for Grim Batol.

I had been wondering to myself lately if blizz was going to start redoing oldworld encounters to make them harder and add to game content, I'm ecstatic that they are actually doing it.

I think people need to understand that it's completely illogical for an MMO to throw their entire team of techies against one issue. They ARE updating the server hardware, we just kinda got screwed as not being one of those first servers.

Not to mention that not everyone who blizzard employs knows how to do everything to change every aspect of the game.

I'm kinda tired about hearing about this now. Yes, it sucks when we have to wait like 20 mins for an instance (Personally I haven't waited more than about 7ish for any instance myself), but chill out people. At least be glad the damn game is working.

The reason that I like Blizzard as a company so much is that they have tons of throwback to players and such, look at the items in-game they created. For example, the bow and the phoenix hatchling for that little boy from Make a Wish Foundation, or the leather chestpiece for that person who ran a very respectable druid blog and had to quit WoW because of having a child.

And then there's stuff like this; Onyxia has become an iconic-ish boss in WoW, and I think it's so incredible that they're revamping the encounter.

This is the kind of issue they would start losing subscribers for. People don't pay 15 dollars a month to be kicked out of an instance because there are "too many people in it" or whatever. And considering its been going on for a good month+ now its getting tiresome, instead of giving us new Onyxia they should be like "SURPRISE 5th ANNIVERSARY WE FIXED YOUR INSTANCE SERVERS"

This is the kind of issue they would start losing subscribers for. People don't pay 15 dollars a month to be kicked out of an instance because there are "too many people in it" or whatever. And considering its been going on for a good month+ now its getting tiresome, instead of giving us new Onyxia they should be like "SURPRISE 5th ANNIVERSARY WE FIXED YOUR INSTANCE SERVERS"

Again, like I said, they are fixing them. The last post I read about was ~3 weeks ago and they said 30% of the servers have already been upgraded.

And, again, like I said, there isn't ANY MMO out there who have the entire base of programmers/tech support/everybody working on a single issue. Not to mention the fact that not every techie can do every job, but it just doesn't make sense for them NOT to have people working on something else.

They have people working on Cataclysm

They have people working on 3.3

They have people working on 3.2.1, 3.2.2, ect.

They have people working on the server issues.

Most content patches that aren't major (IE...content patches such as 3.1.X/3.2.X), don't add much content, if any. They're meant to fix errors. The fact that they are changing the entire Onyxia encounter, updating her loot table, ADDING loot, ect...is actually quite rare.

This is meant as a throwback to the older players (And perhaps even people who never ran Onyxia - which, by now, can't be many), because of the 5th anniversary.

Just goes to show people with bitch about everything and anything.

On one level, I will enjoy this new raid as a bit of nostalgia. On the other hand, the (admittedly few) guilds that only raid classic instances will probably be a little disappointed they can no longer run Onyxia or receive their tier 2 helms.

Also, adding another instance/raid to run is not going to ameliorate the situation pertaining to player load in the instance servers, which should be fixed -before- they add a new instance, as history has shown this only exacerbates the problem.

Varian Wrynn killed her in the comics.

Varimathras killed Balnazzar in Warcraft 3. The Alliance killed Deathwing over the sea just before "Night of the Dragons." What's your point?

Also, adding another instance/raid to run is not going to ameliorate the situation pertaining to player load in the instance servers, which should be fixed -before- they add a new instance, as history has shown this only exacerbates the problem.

It doesn't really make the problem worse. There aren't magically more level 80s on the server wanting to do content. Those groups that will go in to fight Onyxia aren't at the same time in Ulduar or Naxx or Trials; no additional load.