Langara

Relocating to Vancouver, BC

I love Vancouver. If you were to peruse my character names, you might notice they're all cities in British Columbia.

Well, I'm getting fed up with my desk job here in California, though I'm not dumb enough to quit it just because I'm bored. It just occurred to me that maybe one of you fine folks might know something about that area, and could give me a suggestion as to where to find a job in the greater Vancouver area?

As in, what newspapers to search, any companies or organizations?

I'm already scouring craigslist, and revamping my design portfolio website. Sketching away, even.

I'm a graphic designer by training, emphasis in typography for print and web.

This is probably more than a little crazy, but I want a little of the "good crazy" in my days right now.

The Vancouver Sun and the Province are the two local daily papers here. There's not actually a whole lot to choose between them now they're both owned by CanWest, but the Sun is probably the more upscale and likely the more respected of the two; I'd search that one for job leads first. The Province is mostly for people who just want hockey, comics and headlines, usually in that order.

I'd wondered about your character name. There's not a municipality as such named Langara, but it is an area of the city unofficially and there's Langara College, which your name made me think about every time I saw it. :)

Good crazy is good. :) How far do your plans go, i.e. what sort of paperwork are you looking at?

I don't know if you're looking for a job in academia, but if so, the Emily Carr University of Art & Design might be a good place to start, as it's pretty well-known.

Oh thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know. And true, Langara isn't actually a city proper. Neither is Kitsilano, but they are notable enough and make great character names. (Oh how I would love to live in Kits, I stayed in a BnB there once and it was glorious. But damn, I'd have to find a gooood job.)

I seriously doubt I could teach, it would be interesting, but I've only graduated last December myself.

I'd probably go with a temporary work visa for the first year or so, assuming I could net an offer, then from there go to residency if things worked out well. This is all very "Wouldn't it be great if" and there's no harm trying, but I'm not packing up or anything.

I've been seriously considering a move to Vancouver myself for a couple years, but I've always been too intimidated by the visa/immigration process to really do it. How has that been for you? I'm unsure if I qualify for a qualified worker permanent residency. Or whatever it's called.

Basically, aside from finding a job and a place to live, what have you had to do to make this happen?

Yeah, Kits is a tad pricey now the baby-boomers have taken it over. The local nickname for it is the Gore-Tex Vortex. :D I live fairly near there - Granville and Broadway area in the oh-so-nauseatingly-chichi boutique infestation known as the "South Granville Rise," lah-dee-fucking-dah - it's soulless, but it's convenient to transit for work, at least until the new Skytrain line opens.