Langara

This is your belf on Bloodthistle

Next lore question: What would the symptoms of bloodthistle addiction be, and more interestingly, what would the withdrawal symptoms be?

We know what the buff and subsequent debuff do, but how would that manifest in a character?

Is it easy to hide or difficult? We know it's considered socially unacceptable, but is it something most belves who use get away with?

I think it would be hard to conceal, because in Shadowmoon Valley, Borak, Onorok's son, says that "all the signs are there" I'm guessing it would be the same as any other abuser of a similar, real-world drug.

Twitchiness, irritability, general shadiness.

I also love the term "Thistleheads"

ftw

My Paladin chews Thistle. I treat it kind of like chewing tobacco. It's nasty, addicting and habitual, but not the hardest substance there is.

I also wonder...

Stimulant or depressant?

Would it be possible to have withdrawal from a depressant?

I know you can overuse them and crash, but I was under the impression withdrawal was a stimulant or hallucinogen side effect.

DRUGSAREBAD.png

On a related note. I think the symptoms would be apparent. Maybe discoloration of teeth/tongue.. eye discoloration while on it and coming down from it.

I remember it being treated kind of like weed in the quest line, but it's out for the nobles (assuming the guests are nobles, based on the quest giver) to use at the party at the Haven.

Treat it like amphetamines.
Why?

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=28273

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=28274

psychostimulant drug that is known to produce increased wakefulness and focus in association with decreased fatigue and appetite.

The drug is also used illegally as a recreational drug and as a performance enhancer.

Withdrawal from chronic recreational use of amphetamines can include anxiety' date=' depression, agitation, fatigue, excessive sleeping,[/b'] increased appetite, psychosis and suicidal thoughts.

Repeated amphetamine use can produce "reverse tolerance", or sensitization to some psychological effects. Amphetamine does not have the potential to cause physical dependence, though withdrawal can still be hard for a user. Many users will repeat the amphetamine cycle by taking more of the drug during the withdrawal. .... Users will commonly stay up for 2 or 3 days to avoid the withdrawals .... Chronic users of amphetamines sometimes snort or use drug injection to experience the full effects of the drug in a faster and more intense way.

Amphetamine works by increasing energy levels, concentration, and motivation, thus allowing students to study for an extended period of time.

Amphetamine has been, and is still, used by militaries around the world.

But mostly, that Bloodthistle is used as a performance enhancer. When I build my perception of what to model Bloodthistle after, I use amphetamines as the central piece. Since there are indications that it is socially looked-down-upon and more addictive than speed causes me to add an outer wrapping of methamphetamine characteristics. Finally, its (wide variety of) methods of use remind me of another similar stimulant, the coca plant.

So I treated / think of Bloodthistle as a stimulant with combination of effects like amphetamines, methamphetamines, and cocaine.

I find this satisfying on multiple levels. First, it matches the effects of the item in game. Second, it matches the treatment within the lore in-game. Third, the wide variety of effects and withdrawal symptoms from these drugs can account for the wide variety of treatments it is being given by various role players, as well as the wide variety of methods for use. Fourth, I like to imagine the programmers who put it in were pumping adderol.

One last thing: a creative license I took was that if Bloodthistle is chewed the juice is blood red and stains the lips, teeth, and tongue.

Steroids for blood elves? Oh dear. The fel magic wasn't addicting enough?
Not like we were the only elves to use herbal drugs.;)

On Lord Stareye, a Night Elf:

"The noble's jaw dropped. His eyes bulged as much as was possible for his kind. The pinch of snuff almost to his nostril crumbled to the floor of the tent like ash as his fingures twitched."

Not like we were the only elves to use herbal drugs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard A. Knaak, the Sundering, pg.17

On Lord Stareye, a Night Elf:

"The noble's jaw dropped. His eyes bulged as much as was possible for his kind. The pinch of snuff almost to his nostril crumbled to the floor of the tent like ash as his fingures twitched."

Well drat. Though. That means that..

Wow. I just got the picture of a bunch of nelves and belves frolicing in a field in a sixties type fashion-- hippyish and whatnot-- all "Flowah powah!"

Hmmm... I've always treated it like Opium being the high grade effect, to the low grade giving the same effect as good ganja. I could see differant strains wtc, etc

My character Antharion plays a bloodthistle addicted biker/bad boy holy paladin, as withdrawal symptoms I figured an inability to focus, nausea (it's a leaf you basically eat every 10 minutes... lot of matter in the stomach)) cramps ((I'm assuming mana comes from hydration/metabolism seeing as how we drink waters and Tea's)) so I add dehydration, muscle cramps and possible effects from heat exhaustion (we sit to drink). I assume extreme withdrawal would be the effects of Heat exhaustion and would probably be treated with the same. Water every 15 minutes, Arcane torrents to get the body used to it's own mana supply, or normal spellpower levels. aybe one could need to go so far as removing all gear augmented with spellpower bonuses. I'd assume rogues would have a problem with it since I'm assuming swiftthistle and bloodthistle are in the same species. so for rogues swiftthistle could serve as a quick fix. I'd have to agree that it would stain the teeth red, I liken it to spitting chew, dip or the like, big red blobs of what I assume would be a pile of mana expatorated ((hence all the brooms in silvermoon huuh? huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh?)) yeah, Anth used to sit with deenna for hours in the town square high on thistle making fun of various people who walk by.... I sooo miss that