Has RP died on TN? Seems like lately there is little to none.

Am I just not looking hard enough? Seems like all the RP guilds are more worried about content, even before this last patch.

I have actually been over to Moon Guard and its filled with a TON of RP guilds and sadly a number of ERPs too... and Goldshire is a nightmare there.. but is that my only option now? A new server? Or is there some active RP guilds left here on horde side?

You're not looking hard enough.

If you want RP, go out and make it happen. If you think you can sit around and wait for RP to come to you, you're going to be waiting a long, long while.

If you think your answer is going to a new server, then you're part of the problem and not part of the solution.

Oh.. I have been looking, not sitting around waiting, but I guess not hard enough as you say.

So tell me, while looking harder where do I start? Ive tried a couple of guilds that I thought was RP Guilds that just turned out to be people waiting to hit 80 to go off and raid full time.. oh there was another one that was 3 alts from another guildwho was never on. Oh yah.. and there is the few RP guilds here that require you to be 80? So please tell me where to start?

If you think your answer is going to a new server, then you're part of the problem and not part of the solution.

I asked if it was the only option I did not say it was, thats why I made the post huh? Im still trying to hold onto a server I have always loved.

I don't know about level requirements, only one guild I know of has them (and they have alternatives below-level).

Sanctuary has no level requirements and has quite a few in the sub-80 category. I raid a lot, a lot of others don't - we have raiders, RP'ers, and everything in between.

I know there are a few other guilds that would have similar explanations. As far as random RP, there is almost always something going on in /s in the Horde Inn in Dalaran (can't speak about alliance) even though I have to run away from there because it makes my computer hate me.

It is out there, you just kind of have to watch for it. I try to RP in any group/PuG/etc. that I am in (even when dueling in front of Org).

As far as guilds - check the RP Guilds section of this board (there is a thread per guild) or read some of the stories - if you like one of them a lot, send that person a message, I am sure they will tell you how awesome their guild is (as we all will).

There are still a ton of RPers here, Sinfaye. They just are, more often than not, out doing stuff in the world rather than sitting on a city bench waiting for someone else to find them. This isn't a ding at you, because a lot of people are making the same complaint. It's what I call the empty parking lot syndrome.

Horde-side needs more RP events/gatherings to get people mingling. The problem then is, even if you did something once a week, what day/time would it be? I guarantee anytime I picked would be the same day/time as some RP guild's raiding schedule.

Finding a good group to go out and do stuff and RP at the same time is the best of both worlds, but I'm not sure which way to point you. The last couple of times I wandered through Silvermoon I found people RPing, but maybe I was just doing it at a lucky time, or a lucky date.

Moonguard, Wyrmrest Accord, and I forget the other "RP heaven" that's been created since TN, all have the advantage of being new and shiny. People aren't 80, so they aren't raiding, and, at the beginning, the majority of people who roll there are RPers, so you find more people just strolling through the cities instead of out killing pirate #245667777 outside Ratchet or Booty Bay. But, from what I hear, as time goes by they eventually die. They get taken over by the drive-by ERPers, or people start clique-ing or get bored of telling their backstory to random people or maybe they hit the jackpot and find 4 other people around the same level to go run instances with.

Sometimes people come back to TN, and sometimes they don't. People should do what makes them happy. This is a game.

People organising events, or nightly "tavern is now open", help a ton with getting new people integrated into the RP scene, but they also require someone to do all that work, which, unfortunately, is mostly unappreciated, so fewer and fewer people do it.

edit: moved long anecdote to blog, since I'm pretty sure I've typed that explanation out several times over the years, and it made the post more wall-of-texty TLDR than it should have been.

Though I generally prefer a more free-form approach, I've found that making ooc connections is extremely helpful in finding RP. Unfortunately enough, a lot of the active RPers are segregated into cliques of some sort, but the people I RP with actively work to bring new people in. While in an ooc channel, don't be afraid to ask if anybody is up for RP...sometimes everyone will be busy with content of some sort (alas, the nature of an expansion), but often enough there will be someone who wants to RP or make their other adventures in-character. Especially if you're new to the channel. ;) And of course, once you make a few new RP associations, that begets a whole bunch of others.

Oh, and if you're willing to sift through all the crappy horrible Silvermoon tavern RP to find the few gems that lurk there (there are a few, that's where I started talking to Selash), then that's an option too.

well.. thank you all for the most wonderful and helpful replies, it gives me a little more faith in TN. A lot of my problems ties back to EQ2, I was a part of a great guild, we had a public rp channel for anyone to rp with us and we had a forum that turned into the servers major RP hub. I guess my desires are set to high or Im looking for too much, but this is why I find it hard to leave TN. These forums seems to be a great community and very helpful, aside fromthe bashing I got when posting my characters bio this place is great.

I guess my biggest problem is the lack of being guilded for so long and not being appart of something more grand. I left Alliance side last year and came to horde side with a dream of joining Grim, I guess then I didnt realize they had level reqirements and the thought slowly drifted away. At one point I had found a great new rp guild to join and watched it fail horribly, the two main leaders was 70 playing a ton of alts that was also members, sooner or later no one logged on anymore and I finally ended up leaving. Since then I havent been able to find a guild. I did try another resently but it was already very cliquie and most if not all the members was to worried about leveling to 80 or content raiding. The leader is also never around, off playing a DK alt in another guild that he is a leader of..lol..

My other problem is being a rogue, I get sooo fustrated with it. I love the class but I really hate how broken it has become, every patch seems to get worse. Tho I keep trying and trying to make it better. Then I decide; Hey, Ill just make a new character like a priestess or death knight! But then I start to think, well.. If I do level another character on TN, will I still be in the same boat, guildless with the lack of any solid RP? So I start thinking about other servers to make a new character.

I know Im rambling and Im sorry, but thank you all for your replies.

All I have to say is don't pay attention to the people saying you're not looking or trying hard enough. They're usually the ones who will file metric tons of tickets out against people for daring to do something as dumb as yell OOCly for the sake of having fun and ruining THEIR IC 'immersion'.

OOC channels are where I meet other RPers. If all you do is sit and wait on a bench, the liklihood of anyone stopping over to say hello is pretty slim since there's a lot of griefers that try to bait RPers and harass them, as well as the fact that not everyone (including myself) has their RP mods active a lot of the time.

Also a lot of us (including myself, again), aren't necessarily in character all of the time simply because you get bored REALLY fast if you expect RP to just happen randomly all the time. I personally usually observe people and go to inns if I'm actually looking for interaction, but a lot of the time in cities I'm either idling, talking with others over WIM, surfing websites, or pondering where to go to do dailies, if I want to run heroics, try to get in on raids, etc.

The list of OOC channels I use is ravenOOC, circle, and infection. Other than The Grim roleplayers (and even some of them hang out in those channels), that pretty much covers the majority of people here on TNG who are still active in the game.... Hordeside, that is.

For alliance side it's PastaExpress and Dunamis. I also hang out in SoTM (Sword of the Morning) but I'm not certain if they'd want tons of people lingering in a channel that's supposed to be a guild OOC one. Dunamis I know doesn't mind, so long as all the language is G-rated and you're actually interested in RP.

EDIT:

Oh, and don't believe the stigma that if you're not in a guild, you're not going to find RP. I've found more RP guildless (or technically guildless) than I ever did in guilds that prided themselves on being ones for people to RP in.

If you've been away a long time, the simple answer is you've just been out of the element so long that it'll just take a little effort to get accustomed to it all again.

I'd offer to RP with you, but my hours on WoW are random, and I go wherever I pretty much feel like going, whether or not I find RP. If you do catch me around, though, I'm very open to interaction.

All I have to say is don't pay attention to the people saying you're not looking or trying hard enough. They're usually the ones who will file metric tons of tickets out against people for daring to do something as dumb as yell OOCly for the sake of having fun and ruining THEIR IC 'immersion'.

The RP police aren't the ones having trouble finding RP? Huh. Maybe there's something to that.

I do not have trouble finding roleplay. I don't mean invited to roleplay, and I don't mean RP with my guild, I mean literally running over it. Every. Single. Time. I beam down to Silvermoon for whatever reason or another, I will usually trip over at least one person I have never met or heard of before who is walking from one place to another, or I can /who and see a list of familiar names. I bump into it in Dalaran. I see it in Undercity.

From there, allow me to direct you here: How I Role (A Dissertation on Ninja RP.) And maybe be more forgiving of "crappy horrible Silvermoon tavern RP", if you absolutely feel the need to insult others RP by calling it that, because, as that poster said, I'm sure you can find some gems. And, at the very least, it is promoting RP instead of declaring it is dead because you're not partaking in any.

The Last few times I sat in the wayfares in Silvermoon for longer than 5 minutes in character, I eventually had to bail and run away, because within 20 minutes, there were so many conversations going on, I couldn't hear myself think for trying to read through it all.

I would say assuredly rp is alive and well. Do it, they will come.

This server certainly isn't what it use to be, but there's still RP around.

The Palm has a "porch night" where we hang around stormwind and RP, though we only every so often get others to approach us. Are we intimidating?! :o! lol We try not to be a clique, and it always makes us happy to find some random RP.

We still kind of just RP with ourselves now, because it's a bit hard to find others to RP with sometimes. We keep it alive within our guild, hosting 1-2 RP events every month. I would love to do something with other guilds though.

There's one thing for certain, a lot of RPers don't really know about TNG, and if they do they're not very ecstatic about it. We need to advertise TNG to more of TN so they can start advertising for RP.

My other problem is being a rogue, I get sooo fustrated with it. I love the class but I really hate how broken it has become, every patch seems to get worse. Tho I keep trying and trying to make it better.

We're not broken. We're working as intended! :P Seriously, if there's specific problems you're having with the class, there's probably a solution. Just ask. There's lots of rogues around here. We have our limits, and there's certain things I complain about all the time (like pallies! *fishshake*), but I wouldn't say we're completely broken.

The Filthy Animal is where I usually find RP. Like on my other rogue there one night, who was either unguilded or in an unknown guild at the time. She stood at the bar, tossed her troll dice, got drunk, and stared at someone I knew was an RPer. It led to a really amusing drinking contest.

Try props--an unusual pet that you interact with, or some kind of toy type thing like the troll dice, or even just walking instead of running in a populated area. Or make emotes. Anything to catch the attention of other RPers or mark yourself as an RPer to them. Some of those things might also make it easier for other RPers to approach you, because it gives them something to comment on or start a conversation with you about.

The RP police aren't the ones having trouble finding RP? Huh. Maybe there's something to that.

From what I see, the "RP Police" are usually the ones complaining that no one ever RPs, or at the very least, no one wants to RP with them. Then they're quick to yell at anyone who doesn't behave the exact way they want them to.

I think time of day is a big factor... You're not going to find a lot of roleplayers on at say... 1PM Server Time on a weekday, whereas you'll find a lot on around 5PM and onward to about 11PM. After that, the numbers taper off again, and on weekends, more people are on earlier and around longer. It makes sense... people have jobs and lives they want to participate in.

Personally, I find lots of roleplayers of whom are out walking around, talking, or otherwise doing their thing. Do I always participate? No. Sometimes I prefer to just watch, or I just don't feel like it because I might be in a bad mood and, honestly, I can't play a nice and/or jovial character when I'm not in a mood at least let me emulate that correctly.

I still say that OOC channels are very helpful with finding RP, and it never hurts to try out /rp or even advertise the channels you go in to people you chance across.

I still say that OOC channels are very helpful with finding RP, and it never hurts to try out /rp or even advertise the channels you go in to people you chance across.

This is very true. Come to SanctuaryOOC, try /rp (which I don't have enough channels for...may have to drop MRP, although I like it), or one of the other RP guilds OOC channels - hang out in the filthy animal in the evening, or send me a tell - DBM will tell you if I am fighting a boss and can't talk, otherwise I am up for it (especially when auctioneer is scanning)!

Hey, if you're EVER looking for RP I'm usually on one of my characters (Swerto, Securo, Reignier, or Cenco)

I'm always willing to RP, and I'm ALWAYS in character.

Meh, I usually don't worry about these things, since I just roleplay with any Tom, Dick and Harry I come across when PVPing, fishing, questing or just looking for herbs (or kill them if they have a red name and are threatening to make whatever I was doing that time an unpleasant trip). You guys should try that too, for as long as you avoid treating simple tasks as 'EPIC ADVENTURES' and avoid talking too much about your backstory (dropping hints would be okay), since those are turn offs to the non-roleplayers (and some roleplayers) you meet when you are doing whatever.

Well, most of my RPing with Horde comes in the way of swinging a giant mace in their general direction.

You know. Fordragon Imports and all.

Anyway. Yeah. Some people are uncomfortable RPing with random people because they either won't react the way they want, or just plain awkwardness.

Honestly, I stay in character a good portion of the time, and I find some fun RP to do!

Even if it may get me in trouble. <_<

Well, most of my RPing with Horde comes in the way of swinging a giant mace in their general direction.

You know. Fordragon Imports and all.

Anyway. Yeah. Some people are uncomfortable RPing with random people because they either won't react the way they want, or just plain awkwardness.

Honestly, I stay in character a good portion of the time, and I find some fun RP to do!

Even if it may get me in trouble. <_<

Psh! All you do is moo in Dalaran. You should be rerolling Tauren. *nod*

I may have to drag Aphraelle into the Filthy Animal more often - she finds it a bit seedy and dislikes it - although these days I'm mostly just doing dailies because I need the gold and it's all I have time for.

I am really wondering where all this 'rp dying' talk is coming from lately, since I haven't felt it myself. Ya know, I am a huge RP loner and I never have trouble finding any RP-- Actually, I think it may be easier for me, personally, since I don't rely on anyone to feed me content to rp with. So, it may be my playing times, or my rolling stone status that has helped me maintain the rp element in my play.

Like other people said here, I just keep my rp going by making conversation with anyone and everyone I want, whether they mean to rp or not. I am just prissy and in character with everyone. Heck, a great many of my favorite experiences come from random interactions with level 1 bankers (who regularly would not be roleplaying) who become really involved with "being in character" themselves after I initiated it. It's cute. It's fun. It's fulfilling for me. There's been very few people that actually get mad or confused by the spontaneous rp, but my character enjoys defensive rp as well. Either way, I have a great new person to /wave or /spit at me the next time we cross paths, and my characters benefit from that immersion.

Of course, if you prefer more structured/premeditated rp, the tng networking sections seem like a good place to look. There are many ways to start it. You can check out story lines and join in or have your character employ someone's talents/professions via an "I heard about you around Orgimmar" mail. Etc, Etc.

When I was still playing, I worry alot less about storylines and worry more about character interactions. In fact, I designed my character to have very little personality of its own because I intended him to meet with people, talk to them (as opposed to stabbing them, but there's a reason why he ain't stabbing them just because they insulted him) and maybe form a patchwork personality of his own from the interactions (it happened, a bit).

And so, with my character, I had him talk to any and all friendlies (and sometimes gesture to red names when they had shown themselves not a threat and it was more practical to either aid or ignore instead of kill) if they were working together on a quest or an instance, or just because they had something interesting to say. That way, I find my RP (with random people).