Leyujin

[Discussion] Faction Addon: TNG Faction Project

So, I found this. http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/gryphonheart-reputation.aspx

This is an addon which apparently allows players on the same side to set up a number of player-made factions, which will display to all people using the mod. Players can flag themselves as members of a faction, and can gain or lose reputation with that and other factions. I believe there is also a functionality to allow gaining reputation with one faction to lower or gain reputation with another linked faction.

Alliance and Horde will not be able to see player-made factions on the other side.

I haven't tested out the mod itself, but comments on the webpage are from 2009, so even though it was last updated four months ago, the mod still seems to be functional.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

This is a brilliant idea. The possibilities are huge for this, and I'm glad it exists because it can be used for an rp project I may be getting on board for. It also has the capacity to be nearly useless or very confusing if there isn't a coordinated, synchronized effort to utilize this, and agreement on the limitations and factions to be created. I also know I'm not the one who should be setting this up.

A major note is that apparently you set up "projects" for people to join, which have the factions listed with them. There can be more than one, but depending on how it works, there should be one "consensus" project per side. Any projects started up independently should eventually be incorporated into the consensus once everyone agrees that the side-factions are important enough to be mainstream, so to speak.

I like where this idea is going. It adds a whole new layer to player-made non-guild factions, eg.(But not specifically) the Treasure Hunters. Rather than making it an RP-raiding guild, they make it a coalition of players from many guilds. With this tool, they could add a level of flavor to their RP. 'Exalted' is known by many members, Neutral/Friendly is known by a few, or is new.

This is an excellent idea. Leyujin, I would gladly help contribute to this project when I get back on WoW.

Chat channels full, I cannot do such a thing. MyRP, Carbonite, and XPerl take up all my channels >_<

(If someone can help me turn off carbonite and xperl's auto joins I'd appreciate it)

This thing is interesting...I created a project and now I can't delete it...from reading some of the feedback on the add-on it sounds like NEAT stuff. You can bet C-tok will be making some projects if he can...Cristok's Challenge Rep...Free Horde Faction Rep....Cult of the C-tok....you get the idea...

xperl has a channel? What the heck version of xperl are you using, Swerto? I guess you could leave the channel, then join another before it has a chance to auto-rejoin its channel.

I think this addon sounds very cool. I won't lie though, there's very little chance of drumming up enough interest to get enough people using it, and properly. Hate to be a downer :( But I'm more interested in the project you wanted to use it for, and other options to help develop it.

I'm leaning with Xara here. I'm normally against any addon for RP, because it makes getting new members to a group all the more difficult. ("Oh, you want to RP with us! That's great! You just need to download blah, and blah blah, and yadayada.")

That said, if someone writes up a proposal that convinces me otherwise I'd sooner use this addon than one that lets people know my self-given titles and description.

I don't think it'd be any real problem getting people to use this. Those that didn't *shrug* simply wouldn't be -in- on the storyline.

I just need to find another person with the add-on to fiddle with the invites and stuff.

Cristok, I downloaded it yesterday to play with it. Grainia went to a birthday party - with cake, wine and games! - so I didn't play with it at all. PST me next time we're both on and you can fiddle with Grai all you want. ;)

Ah, it's not xperl, it's myRP joining the old RP addon channel (xtooltip or whatever)

From discussions here (as I don't use it) thats been the biggest complaint about it, is that is uses two channels (perhaps solely for compatibility?).

From discussions here (as I don't use it) thats been the biggest complaint about it, is that is uses two channels (perhaps solely for compatibility?).

Yea, that's why I prefer FlagRSP, only one channel to deal with. Though I believe I've heard that you don't actually need the MRP channel, as that was only to interface with some other MyXxxXxx addons that fell out of use. Might want to seek a confirmation on that, though.

This seems interesting, though I don't really see it becoming widespread. I'm also a little iffy on the practicality of it.

I'm willing to go along with it even if it's just to help someone out.

I've experimented with this a little bit. You use /ghr newproject "Project Name" (No quotes). That makes the overarching category, like Horde, Alliance, The Burning Crusade, Classic, Etc. Within that you can make factions. I'm not sure if you can delete a project through normal means, but you can go to Options, Leave Project, which is pretty much the same thing.

I'm leaning with Xara here. I'm normally against any addon for RP, because it makes getting new members to a group all the more difficult. ("Oh, you want to RP with us! That's great! You just need to download blah, and blah blah, and yadayada.")

That said, if someone writes up a proposal that convinces me otherwise I'd sooner use this addon than one that lets people know my self-given titles and description.

I agree with the possible RP exclusiveness that this mod *could* create. However, it provides a tool which at present is impossible in WoW: creating organizations people can belong to *without* leaving their guild to join another. This can be anything from memberships in secret societies to belonging to overarching groups with particular political sentiments, like Sanctuary's Pro-Diplomacy and The Grim's Zero-Tolerance stances. It can tie several guilds together into a coalition while allowing each guild to maintain their autonomy. Because you can see someone's reputation level with a particular faction while targeting them, it makes it easy to know if someone's a friend... or otherwise.

Using this tool would just simplify things for people who want to form a dedicated, organized group. It would be up to the group to how to organize things, but I think, to avoid "Addon exclusivity", rules should be set up for how to join a group *without* the addon, and those should be the "normal" rules. Since the mod allows you to add reputation to someone, keeping an excel sheet with someone's digital reputation means if they ever *do* get the mod, promoting them to their proper rep would be simple. Is this a logistical headache? Yes, but nothing too bad, so long as the person doing the organizational work wants to do it.

In the end, it's a tool which allows us to do things with our RP that create in-game consequences, and builds the world we've made with each other into the game engine itself. Now instead of grinding rep with PvE factions to get purples, we can gain reputation with RP entities for anything from rewards to notoriety. It allows for many things, and isn't very complicated. So, that's my argument for finding ways to utilize it.

----------------------------------------------------

The problem is everyone can make their own project, and if people don't communicate, many projects can be at odds with each other. If that's the case, and the system becomes pretty much just ego-fulfillment, it fails, and is useless. That's why I wanted to get things organized, here, where everyone agrees on the basics, before anything would start up.

So, towards that end, consider answering these questions if you think the premise is worthwhile:

1. What is a major RP faction?

2. What guilds or groups do they consist of?

3. What would be a suggested name for their "Faction"?

Here's an example just to show what I mean (please bear in mind that this example is just loosely cobbled together, I have no idea the relations between The Raven Cross and The Grim):

1. The Anti-Alliance guilds.

2. The Grim, The Raven Cross, Infection, etc.

3. The Wyverns.

Feel free to repeat this format with as many Major factions as you can think of. This should be at least one large or influential guild that everyone recognizes, or more than one guild.

I'd support this whole-heartedly. And I'd help...but sadly, Gory doesn't know jack shit about programming...or anything really. So all I can say is good luck to the devs.

However, I too believe it may cause some exclusive behavior in RPers, and will definitely alienate those new to the server, or new to RP, if only for a while.

I bet it will need a LOT of improvements before it becomes worth it to even download it. Otherwise, it may just be a hassle.

Isn't there exclusive behavior in RPers right now, anyway? If you're not posting on TNG, how many new RPers leveling up ever get to RP with the "bigwigs"?

I'm interested in this addon for helping to organize out-of-guild groups which seem to be hard to get started unless they're focused on PvE raiding. This addon has applications that can range far beyond that, but that's the main purpose I'll be focusing on for the moment. From my experience, RP guilds themselves tend to cause exclusive RP behavior; it's always easier to RP with guildmates who you know and trust rather than some stranger who might "RP gank" you. As an organizational device which allows you to target someone else and see their factional affiliation, I think it could serve to help people cross guild borders more readily and spontaneously. Seeing something graphical can be helpful.

I'll be experimenting with this in the meantime to see its functionality. Those are my two copper.

Isn't there exclusive behavior in RPers right now, anyway? If you're not posting on TNG, how many new RPers leveling up ever get to RP with the "bigwigs"?

*raises hand* Issachar and I did.