Demetryus

Horde Militant Guild

I know there are a variety of Horde guilds that happily engage the Alliance on an endless series of battlefields, many taking the form of mighty clans, powerful tribes, and iron-bound comrades-in-arms. Guilds unified by race, or class, or even a hatred of the Alliance all fight valiantly, but are there any Horde guilds that are founded upon a military basis?

Every guild has ranks, yet those can range from neophyte, initiate, crusader, etc. to peon, grunt, warlord, etc., but are there any guilds based on a more rigid, strict military hierarchy, regardless of the names of the ranks? I'm looking for a guild that takes the war with the Alliance on a more modern definition of the word, treating it not as a conflict between two organizations, but rather the war between two empires. Does any such guild exist? (and if not, is anyone interested in making one?)

From what I've seen of the Grim, they are indeed warlike, and have a suitable attitude, but they lack the military discipline I'm looking for. I could be wrong, I don't know much of them, but that's what I've seen so far.

*points at the Grim*

Horde Supremacist |= Horde Militant.

Closest thing to that in recent memory was the Korkron Vanguard...

Infection is like the Forsaken Militant guild :D. (JOIN US, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO)

Closest thing to that in recent memory was the Korkron Vanguard...

GAH now I feel like an idiot. =/ Has the age of people hating on the KKV's leader really passed, or did they all grow up/leave WOW/leave TN?

EDIT: I meant the people who flamed the guild to death, Okhu. I don't recall you being part of that crowd. Or were you? >.>

GAH now I feel like an idiot. =/ Has the age of people hating on the KKV's leader really passed, or did they all grow up/leave WOW/leave TN?

No, I just didn't care enough to comment on him until you brought it up.

There was one, blood elf only. It died.

If you mean Order of Eversong, they're still around.

If not, meep. Death Before Dishonor used to be that way.

Well not to bump my own guild unjustly but The Outriders is a Horde Military organization with the goal of preserving Horde Interests against the Alliance expeditionary outposts. <_<

If you mean Order of Eversong, they're still around.

If not, meep. Death Before Dishonor used to be that way.

No, was thinking of the Blood Brigade.

The Raven Cross when we first started it up was meant to be a Militant guild with religious undertones. The way I kind of see the Cross dealing with war is the way war was dealt with during World War II - there are stories out there of the British fighting the Germans and whenever the fighting stopped for a moment, they'd actually sit and eat with their enemy. Only to later return to trying to kill them.

There is a very strict set of guidelines in the cross, too. We have five "creeds" that members must follow, and that kind of set the tone for the guild. When you first join the guild you have to prove your worth before you're even allowed to wear the tabard. We also have a new rank called the "Exemplars", which is like a best-and-brightest kind of rank - the people that encompass what it means to be in the Raven Cross, but don't have any sort of officer-esque duties.

I've gotten more into the habit of RPing out battles and I'd like to see more people in the Cross do it too, but I'm not sure we're as "militant" as you might be suggesting. As I said, there's a lot of religious undertones there, too - fanaticism to a cause. I lead the Cross but I try not to lead it with an iron fist ICly (though Leoren and Yatokth, my two right hand guys, act like Drill Sergeants in character, it's an interesting contrast). We have an interesting kind of niche with the Raven Cross being a bit of a grey area, it gives us a lot of freedom. Like RPing with the Alliance that try to kill us, or doing what other guilds won't. I always kind of considered the Raven Cross to the Horde as what it means to be "Black Ops". We're only a small guild, so we have to use guerrilla tactics - in war and in diplomacy.

But I'm ranting. xD

The Grim are extremist rather than militant. There is a structure, but it's not the be all and end all of the organization, so I suspect you're not wrong.

The real military seems to be Thrall/Generals/Blizz and it seems to have disbanded that army since all the ranks (General, Seargent, ext.) are now in retirement. I look at the HOrde like I would a disbanded army that hasn't found gainful employement elsewhere.

The military style guilds I've played with (both as guild member and enemy) gave me some of the most fun I've ever had in WoW. Guilds like the Ironforge Regiment are what brought me to TN in the first place, quite a long time ago. I'd love to see more stuff like that happen.

The Raven Cross when we first started it up was meant to be a Militant guild with religious undertones. The way I kind of see the Cross dealing with war is the way war was dealt with during World War II - there are stories out there of the British fighting the Germans and whenever the fighting stopped for a moment, they'd actually sit and eat with their enemy. Only to later return to trying to kill them.

You're thinking World War I.

I've been told Icecrown Mercenaries fits what you're looking for. They're also a roleplay guild to my knowledge.

If you want a non-roleplay guild, there is Legends Reborn. The guild leader, Goorr runs it military style. Though its more PVE focused.

If you want a non-roleplay guild, there is Legends Reborn. The guild leader, Goorr runs it military style. Though its more PVE focused.

I can not imagine what kind of raiding environment it would be like running a guild like an army. I mean, to each their own but I can't see it being good to have that kind of seriousness in the game OOC.

To answer your question Demetryus, I haven't seen any guilds that follow that structure prominently. I have a feeling that you may not either, unless you create it yourself. Militant guilds I find run into problems where you want to have assigned duty IC that doesn't mesh with what you end up wanting to do OOC. One of the examples I can give is a lowbie protection patrol idea I tossed out while I was in Citadel, which was semi-militaristic (the IC lore of the guild was that we were an extension of Thrall's army). It didn't pick up any momentum because of people not wanting to stop doing quests or instances to run around in lowbie zones. The same thing caused the decline in the Raven Cross responces to Horde town attacks. You need to find some pretty hardcore players who are willing to drop things like BGs and dailies to step into a duty IC and OOC.

I wish all the best to you in your search for a guild, and recommend giving the Raven Cross a try as well. I've always RPed in it with a rule based militaristic focus, and that may be enough for you. Only you would know though ;D (Our main page *does* feature a recruitment poster) http://theravencross.guildportal.com

Well my thanks for all the replies, you've been quite helpful. I've received a few PMs from a few different players, and it seems to be an interesting topic, which bodes well for me. I'll be spending some time investigating current guilds (notably the Grim and the Raven Cross), but it seems the most likely option is the creation of a guild.

Out of curiosity, who would be interested (and I mean seriously interested) in starting/joining such a guild?

And I'm more than happy to talk to anyone via PM if you want to discuss current guilds or ideas for a new one.