Yichimet

Race Relations, a primer

The undead and blood elf relations...well, I don't know if it's accurate seeing how Sylvanas LOVES the Blood Elves, and quite a sizeable portion of the Forsaken love their Queen to death (yes yes, I know). The only ones who may have cause to worry about Blood Elves having no use for them are probably those who are loyal to Varimathras, I think.

However, most about the undead-other race relation seem spot on, but I doubt that the Forsaken knows nada about Night Elves by now. Remember that they have a rather sizeable force of spies and assassins placed all over the place (even one in Stormwind if the RP books are to be believed), so while they do not know much about Night Elves, they probably know enough about their methods, their culture and how best to deal with them. Doesn't stop the Royal Apothecary Society from gleefully capture one Night Elf and pour some nasty concoction down their throats just to see if they would turn green or yellow (and explode).

I've personally come to the conclusion that the guy hardly researched/played Horde races, since to me most of the Horde articles come off as a very 'Alliance' point of view.

The Blood Elf article seems to make perfect sense, to me.

I think too many people RP their elven characters as all "huggly buggly" and totally accepting of the other Horde races, which I feel is almost entirely off-target.

I think that the articles don't make a whole lot of sense, either. The stuff about the Tauren is very contrary to what I've read on Wikipedia during my research about them. The Forsaken in particular was something that kinda struck me as odd as there are SO MANY quests in the game that revolve around the Tauren aiding the Forsaken to find themselves again, and NOTHING about the Grimtotem loving them beyond a single quest that refers to a Forsaken splinter cell.

It seems more to me to be a "What Race A would think of Race B at a glance". But given how long all the races have had to intermingle now, too many personal experiences to make this at all 100% true in any case. Though I do like the Tauren's thoughts on the Night Elves article. “Ah, I miss the days when I never had to see those damn long-ears. I liked them more back then.” LOL.

I would also have to put my support on his theory of responses to the horde race. I also chuckle at his overview on how to approach the tauren.

"I hate you!," Tauren asks why. "Just...cause I do...and your tail is swiping at flies flying around your ass!"

I always found it hard to hate the tauren, its like they are just a unhateable race only cause of their primitive nature. While on the Forsaken side I see so many Blood elves start at a instance buddy buddy with the dead. HELLO! I don't care how battle hardened your guy/gal is if you are a blood elf and you were there when they stormed Quel'thalas then you have some sort of phobia, hatred, PTSD, involving bodies getting eaten and ripped apart by undead. I know I RPed or had a basis to RP Roth with a phobia of abominations till awhile of mingling with the race.

The political views I agree in cause I do believe the Blood Elf race is very selfish with examples he as presented with how they treated the mentioned alliance with humans. All races are targets, any mistake of another, even the forsaken, would be taken to better their relation with the horde till they no longer need their protection. I would honestly believe they would go behind Sylvanas's back after the Wrath Gate even and be like:

"Hey we hate the alliance too but we didn't try to make mass weapons of destruction without your permission to be used on them, or all the living for that matter."

Instant status boost which I would believe would leave it at: Orcs, troll/tauren, Blood elves, Forsaken. (time for repayment we help your ass stay in the horde after that trick) Yes we have been allies for awhile now, and we still need them, we are still going to use them, but they were our enemies a lot longer then they were our friends. We live long lives and we do not forget, are we forgiving the alliance? No. Why are we forgiving the horde? Cause we need them.

As a passionate BE RPer and lore junkie of the race (besides reading the published books and getting any legal information I can from them without bying them) if I still believe the horde is trash and do believe we are using them, then not all BEs believe the horde are buddy buddy. So there is bound to be a BE out there (yes if they were real) would believe what I do and and what the article presents.

My two-cents

He didn't say this was an individual basis of how you relate. As he stated opinions can differ from person to person and that this is how the race sees it. The player base is not meant to be the majority of a race, but a minority. That's why we're heroes, otherwise we'd just be the common person.

Even so the Blogger himself isn't the authority on the matter either on how the races perceives others. For only the true clarification on the would have to come from Blizz's game designers. I am merely saying I agree with his OPINION there is a lot of lore on the Blood Elves in-particular that would lead to him coming to his conclusion.

My last statement was just questioning Aquizit's absolution, it seemed, that things would have changed.

Stuff people said.

As I put in the thread title, it's a primer, and it's intended as a guide to the lore, not your character.

I also think people make their characters what they want no matter the lore, and so those of you who are arguing that it's off base--make sure you're not judging it based on your interpretations of your character/race.

As I put in the thread title, it's a primer, and it's intended as a guide to the lore, not your character.

I also think people make their characters what they want no matter the lore, and so those of you who are arguing that it's off base--make sure you're not judging it based on your interpretations of your character/race.

Agreed, I do think its insightful. I have been wanting to figure out how a race in particular would act to its allies. I orginally designed him a little bit deviated away from his opinions on the reactions, and thought process of the race. I am not changing the character, but there were some blanks I had left to fill and did get filled :D

edit - by the way I am loving all the blogs!! Oh my god the troll one is hilarious:

“C’mon! We got ‘em on the run, mon! Why we not strikin’ final blow, huh? Ain’t gonna be no peace settlement. Ain’t gonna be no treaty. Is gonna be us smashin’ em up and then we say what the settlement be!”

I love trolls, thats peace through annihilation.

That will pretty much be it, most people play Tauren way off what you see in a majority of the NPCs.

I found it a pretty reasonable overview based on the races (in general) from lore. Nobody is forcing anyone to adopt it for their toon as if it always applies.

Sylvanas LOVES the Blood Elves
lol :rolleyes:
A couple years changes things, though.. (screw official lore.. TWO YEARS! NOT ONE!) >.>
Yeah, in my mind both the draenei and the blood elves are inserted in the original WoW, can live through the old WoW content and then (a year later) the dark portal opens. I also see death knights as being this way.

Yeah, in my mind both the draenei and the blood elves are inserted in the original WoW, can live through the old WoW content and then (a year later) the dark portal opens. I also see death knights as being this way.

Actually this is supported by some things because the Exodar crashed some time before the opening of the portal (which is why we saw level 70 Draenei within the week)

Blood elves, yeah. Draenei? Eh...

They "crashed" a couple months before the Portal opened. Could they have been involved in Naxx? Very slim possibility. BWL, MC or AQ from a "lore" standpoint? Nope.

Aquizit

Lore Mod

screw official lore..

...what?

Haha! I'm just picking on you.

It's an interesting idea. The writer even confesses that they've gotten BE wrong in the past, and I have a feeling they'll continue to get BE wrong in the future. The elf lore is pretty extensive and complicated, though, and there are a lot of ways to interpret it, so the "primer" is not going to be the only way.

The reason I have Q thinking the Draenei may possibly be slightly less terrible than the rest of the Alliance is because they have magic of their own that they didn't have to learn from elves. Of course, to him they're also completely and utterly psychotic and spiritually delusional on an epic scale.

It's easy to hate Tauren because they're primitive. Learn to civilize! Same for Trolls, but there are a million and seven reasons to hate Trolls.

I decided to use a link with the orcs that the writer doesn't even touch because, like the blood elves, they know what it's like to be addicted to an external power and then have that taken from them. They know what it's like to be manipulated in that way, and what it's like to have risen above a situation of essentially complete loss (even if they were stuck in camps instead of all dead).

Forsaken are also possibly respectable because of Sylvanas, but they're still disgusting crimes against nature. *shrug*

Use it for how it makes sense to you, as a starting point for your own opinions and ideas, but that writer's not the final word any more than you are.

Blood Elves aren't as concerned about nature as their dark skinned brethren.

On the other hand, they're more concerned about it then the rest of the "civilized" races. As a Blood Elf, I find it hard to just randomly attack Draenei (Aldori loyalties aside) simply because of the fact that they haven't done anything wrong yet (in his eyes).

Now, the rest of the alliance? Night Elves are spies, Humans are pricks, Dwarves are drunks (aside from the Wildhammer. They're fine), and Gnomes are obsurdly dangerous.

Blood elves, yeah. Draenei? Eh...

They "crashed" a couple months before the Portal opened. Could they have been involved in Naxx? Very slim possibility. BWL, MC or AQ from a "lore" standpoint? Nope.

but where are you getting "a few months" from?

from what we can see, the newer races start as lowbies, have the ability to go through all the old world content (AQ, BWL, etc) and so without being told anything (to the contrary) lorewise, it would seem they were on the planet at the time, just not as a playable race. Kind of like how goblins are around, but nobody took them to BWL and their capital city isn't in game.

from what we can see, the newer races start as lowbies, have the ability to go through all the old world content (AQ, BWL, etc) and so without being told anything (to the contrary) lorewise, it would seem they were on the planet at the time, just not as a playable race. Kind of like how goblins are around, but nobody took them to BWL and their capital city isn't in game.

Forgive me if my perception of what people mean isn't clear. I just thought I'd offer something in case it is...

It's been my understanding that the game basically behaves as if each person playing is doing any of these things for the first time of anyone (with a few exceptions, such as the opening of AQ, that kind of thing). So until you do it, nobody's ever killed Hogger/rescued Moira Bronzebeard/made the Kessel Run in under ten minutes (har har, Blizz)/etc.

For RP purposes, our guild always behaves as if we never killed Van Cleef when we give a VC run, so the person who does is the big hero for a little while--after which he promptly forgets he ever did it himself. Race matters not.

*shrug* If this is totally off-track of where y'all were going with this discussion, I'm sorry for butting in. (Move along, nothing to see here...)

The race-specific introduction when you create a Draenei character says "a few months ago."

I've like what I have read so far, and will be passing it on.

When it comes to tauren to troll relations I had to laugh at this line.

“Blue skins come with green skins, the people join the green skins. So the people join the blue skins too. If an orc begins to feel the blood burn, appeal to the troll to try and restore the order of things."

Yup I hang out with too many Trolls. ;)

edit:

A wicked side of me likes this one.... “Hmph. Humans cross our lands. See if anyone here knows the colours of Proudmore. If those aren’t her colours, we’ll make sure they never leave alive.”