A Letter from Skafloc's Father

I received this from the site's feedback option today:

I am skafloc's father - my son passed away on Dec 25, 2008 at 3:00 a.m. as a result of his battle with his personal enemy - a glioblastoma brain tumour. I would like to thank all gamers and members of this site who have given him hours of enjoyment and to note that skafloc will battle no more.

skafloc (Richard Mohr) will be enterred on Tuesday December 30, in Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia - his obituary is in the Chronicle Herald, a Halifax Newspaper - they have an online obituary site outlining more details. Thank you for passing this on to the gamers.\

Sincerely, Gary R. Mohr

Wow. How incredibly generous of Mr. Mohr to think of including us when his son has just died - every parent's darkest nightmare. I think I know where Rick got some of what made him so special.

I actually got a similar email today. I'm so caught between spilling everything and saying "we're not just gaming buddies, he was a REAL friend to me" and just saying "thank you for sharing him with us". v_v Eh.

Maybe just responding with a note that his father's thoughtfulness is cherished, here, and that it's clear where Skaf got it from. And that he was a beloved member of this third or fourth little family, and that we are remembering his son in the best ways that we can. :)

I sent him the following reply shortly after receiving the feedback.

Mr. Mohr,

Thank you so much for taking the time to send this to us. I posted it up on the forums so that everyone could see it (minus your email address).

Here are a couple of responses:

"That is *really* sweet. It definitely made me smile to see this." -- Nadea

"That was incredibly thoughtful. I don't know that most would realize

to include us at all. I'm touched." --Carmen

"That's very kind of him." --Xaraphyne

Many people are working hard to do what they can from a distance. Some people are petitioning Blizzard (the company who makes the game) to place something into the game to commemorate his character. I believe a few of the Canadians are looking into getting a park bench or something in the real world dedicated to him. Many people are working to put together a small video to voice our appreciation for him. Others are working to compile all of his writings into a format that someone outside of the game could read and appreciate.

I know that most people see it as "just a game", but it has brought together many people across the world to share their creativity and to become a community of people who genuinely care about each other. We have people from Australia, England, South America, Canada, the United States, and I'm sure a few more places I can't think of off the top of my head. We fight like family sometimes, certainly, but Rick was a huge part of making it happen and we are all very sad at his passing.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. If there is anything we can do for you, do not hesitate to ask.

I just got the following reply:

Thank you so much. Please let me know if there is anything I can do in bringing about some of the plans the gaming community may be following in trying to recognize Rick's contribution to online gaming. While I do not know much about his involvement - it was his private space and private moments (besides I live in Ontario (Mississauga) whereas he lived in the Halifax, Nova Scotia area) I may still be able to help. I will keep his son, Andrew (age 13) informed of his father's successes. Andrew is an avid gamer (mostly xBox wargames etc.) already. If the group seeking to sponsor a memorial (bench or the like) for Rick I may be able to help through Halifax contacts.

Nevertheless, even if nothing happens I am grateful about the loyalty that gamers seem to have towards a member of their group. In this "me" age it is rewarding to see that there are still people that care.

Best New Year's wishes to you and all your friends,

Gary Mohr

I had been taking a long break from wow since about mid december. To come back to this news is saddening to say the least. Just a few days before the x pac came out I remember talking to skafloc for over an hour about things. He said it seemed like he was through the worst and it was reasonably smooth sailing for there on out. I admit I havent hardly kept up with the site in the last month or so but at that time I was relieved to hear it and thought things would pan out.

Not sure what I am trying to say really other than that he was a good person and like most didnt deserve this turn of events especially with his family and friends. My best wishes really dont amount to much at a time like this but I hope his son grows up well and remembers what a good person his father was and his family is able to stay strong despite this loss.