Alivanth

The e-peen wagging needs to stop.

Since my original post about this got moved with Cristok's thread over to the Horde side boards and I feel it's important enough to be observed by both sides:

...if you can't keep PvP or other accomplishments from getting personal, then you need to step back and take a break from it. Otherwise, if both sides can't help but get upset over issues of pride from posts like Heidenrich's and Anorah's, then I think a forum wide rule should be made that such posts should be banned altogether. All we're doing is pissing each other off and then pissing the mods off because they have to babysit our posting.

That should pretty much speak for itself. I'm calling for a forum-wide ban on posting bragging screenshots about kills, downing world leaders, etc. and asking that currently existing threads on such that are still active be locked and deleted. People are getting way too personal about this shit and it needs to stop.

There are good ways and bad ways to do this.

Don't ban it, just regulate it.

Maybe make a forum just for e-peen wagging... oh wait we already have one?

I agree to a degree. PvP screenshots, regardless of how tame the words with them might be, are inherently by their nature inclined to provoke negative reactions. I am however -not- a fan of outright banning them all together, as frankly where does the line stop? Prohibiting of banning for PvE bosses as well as it may stir jealousy in other rival competitors? Refusing to acknowledge or address major downing of World PvP bosses? It's human nature to want take pride in your accomplishments and share them, what should be curbed instead should be the outlets in which they do so.

On the subject of Cristok's Challenge and similar competitions which directly pit one faction against the other? It was bound to stir trouble. Do I think we shouldn't have competitions like that? Not at all. They have immense potential to be really exciting, fun AND profitable - especially when its involving something you'd be doing anyway. Do I think it could have been placed in a more discrete places less likely to start flamewars? Certainly.

I'm hardly saying I'm innocent from playing that game of one upmanship and ego stroking in the past, many who do so are frankly kidding themselves. The internet, with the anonymity we're afforded? It's so easy to simply give into the initial hot headedness of the moment. In an ideal world such things could probably be handled a lot more maturely with far more sportsmanship on both sides, where people hold themselves to a standard of care. Sadly here we've the internet instead. Accordingly I think such competitions like this, sure - make a post of its existence somewhere in the public eye as a courtesy to the other side. That's fine, hell probably encouraged to mitigate concerns of unfair play. Competitions -should- make openly known standards which prohibit it being used as a vehicle to grief, and it's reassuring for everyone to know that blatant douche baggery will not be rewarded. Cristok was good enough to clarify on this, that camping and the sort would disqualify its contestants.

But requiring the posting up of results which have the potential to upset and enrage another in a public venue where they can see? Chances are things will get sour fast. Luckily we've faction specific boards just for that, where we can post in such a fashion that will: A). Not have the threat of being read as an offensive insult to the other parties. B). Not enable an avenue for flame wars and petty back and forth QQ. C). Still allow fun and competitive engagements to be celebrated and acknowledged. I'd even go so far as recommending evidence concerning such posts be sent directly to the competition's director, but naturally people want to be assured the result was fairly obtained or else back door politics will always remain at the edge of our thoughts when the final results come in.

At least for all things PvP related of this nature, hunting competitions, faction boss take outs, keep it to your faction's board. Celebrate your own achievements among your comrades, without that other nonsense to quote another.

congratulations to everyone, especially the Horde that were involved.

There will now be ZERO PVP talk allowed on TNG, other than mechanics discussions in Fhenrir's section.

edit: clarifying that by "everyone" I mean that Alliance where involved also, and it wasn't just the Horde stirring up trouble.