Ariavan

[Feedback] That idea has been taken!

Are there people out there that base their characters on things like anime, books, movies, etc. I have had the urge to create a character similar to A character from an anime, but would hate for ppl to say that I am unoriginal or anything. :(

My main character is a combination of several other ideas. Really there are no original ideas left. But, too many would be... meh. But, then again my other main has the same first and last name from a famous fantasy series. I couldn't help myself. They are however not that character, just the same name.

Mind telling us what your idea is?

I dunno - if you're just taking the personality and background from a character from an anime, scrubbing a few details and making it your own, that's pretty unoriginal.

No of course im not gonna do that... when i said background and personality i did not mean i was gonna use them... i guess i should of made it clear that i was gonna draw inspiration from those things... not copy paste and print...

Chances are, no matter how "original" you make a character, someone can probably find something published somewhere and accuse you of stealing it.

As long as you aren't trying to BE that character and you spruce it up so it fits with your playstyle and at least some attempt has been made to make it sensible in the Warcraft Universe, you are fine in my book.

off-topic: I LOVE your avatar. simple but cool.

Side note: Sojiro is awesome

But yeah, play a character, if he's somehow similar to another character, well it happens, but please, don't just take something and give it a new shine and call it good.... That's tacky.

It seems that BE suits everything... but your right... nothing is original anymore... sniff.

Oh and thanks for the off topic comment. I wanted something that would fit my character. Looked for a bit then boom... it appeared. Its simplicity is what makes it so awesome.

Side note: Sojiro is awesome

But yeah, play a character, if he's somehow similar to another character, well it happens, but please, don't just take something and give it a new shine and call it good.... That's tacky.

hehe of course not. I had no intention of copy paste and change... but I love this character... and I love his personality... but we will see how this turns out.. I still have two other characters that i rp with. This one was just a thought.

side note to the side note... hell yeah he is!:cool:

hehe of course not. I had no intention of copy paste and change... but I love this character... and I love his personality... but we will see how this turns out.. I still have two other characters that i rp with. This one was just a thought.

side note to the side note... hell yeah he is!:cool:

Yeah, if you have a similar personality, it's fine, that's a character archetype, it's really impossible to get away from them.

In fact, I've noticed recently that my character bears more than a few resemblances to Captain Picard from Star Trek. o.O

Wasn't really intentional, it just happens.

hehe it just ends that way for some ppl. My main character is the same... he is turning out to be like ed from FMA... my friend and i made these two characters who are brothers... There short names are Aeth and Fael (Ed and Al)... keep in mind we probably made them before we watched FMA. But anyways... yeah... i get what you mean. thanks for the help.

hehehe... that made my day... and the day has bearly started. The more he thought about it the funnier his face got... then the end was glorious! point proven...

People accused me of copying Rand from Wheel of Time with my hunter, whereas for the longest time, I thought I had made up the name and it was original.

There's only a limited amount of personality types that exist in the world... that make sense, anyway. As such, since there's an infinite number of characters being made up, some are bound to be the same, or very similar, in regards to that.

Same goes for basic ideologies. D&D player handbooks pretty much cover the entire spectrum of what kind of 'alignments' exist. Everything from Chaotic Evil to Lawful Good pretty much summarizes how a character is based on how they think, mannerisms, and quirks.

So long as you're not saying random Japanese words and claiming to be from Japan, you should be fine.

Influencial inspiration is one thing.

Taking the character and carbon copying it is another.

Securo is heavily influenced by Kain from the LoK series, but he has MANY differences and is -NOT- Kain.

My WAR character Plisken is based off of the man with no name, but once again... he is -NOT- the man with no name.

It is one thing to base your character off of something... it is another to completely carbon copy it.

When I first made Shiggy, I tought it was cool..she could manipulate her bonestructure...loosely bassed off Marrow.

Then it turns out I copied that guy from NAruto. WIth bone moves.

I was liek Fuck..didn;t know he exsisted.

Yup, it's already been said, but I'll throw out my own two-cents anyway.

It is practically impossible to have an "original" thought in this age where all things creative can be shared with the push of a button. Chances are good that even if you came up with your entire concept from scratch and even went so far as to create your own language for your character that only you understand, someone will eventually tell you that you stole your idea from one obscure piece of media or another.

It often happens unintentionally. When I decided to adapt my long-running D&D character (Brig) to WoW, I was smugly impressed with myself. I'd found a truly "original" backstory in my Spelljammer (obscure D&D campaign setting) adventures and managed to shoehorn it into the WoW lore and play it out in a fairly believable manner. After a few months, I reviewed my stories with a more critical eye only to realize that I'd created a character with a very strong resemblance to Raistlin Majere from the Dragonlance novels.

Just operate with the assumption that humble artists recognize imitation as the greatest form of flattery and role with whatever feels right. It's the internet; there will always be haters. As long as you find good people who'll comfortably role along with you, the sky is the limit. Steal away!

People accused me of copying Rand from Wheel of Time with my hunter, whereas for the longest time, I thought I had made up the name and it was original.

There's only a limited amount of personality types that exist in the world... that make sense, anyway. As such, since there's an infinite number of characters being made up, some are bound to be the same, or very similar, in regards to that.

Same goes for basic ideologies. D&D player handbooks pretty much cover the entire spectrum of what kind of 'alignments' exist. Everything from Chaotic Evil to Lawful Good pretty much summarizes how a character is based on how they think, mannerisms, and quirks.

So long as you're not saying random Japanese words and claiming to be from Japan, you should be fine.

hehe i think ill stay away from Japanese words and such... not that i know how to speak it to begin with...:D

Influencial inspiration is one thing.

Taking the character and carbon copying it is another.

Securo is heavily influenced by Kain from the LoK series, but he has MANY differences and is -NOT- Kain.

My WAR character Plisken is based off of the man with no name, but once again... he is -NOT- the man with no name.

It is one thing to base your character off of something... it is another to completely carbon copy it.

KAIN...thats kinda cool! :cool: