Gorymoru

Acceptability

As those who RP with me should know, I'm not a huge lore fan. Not from the fact that I dislike it, I just haven't really put the effort in to find the books and read them. Thus, my RP usually falls short of Lore, and I find myself creating histories for my chars that don't really seem to correspond to anything notable in Lore.

My main, Zorael...was built with just the BASICS of Lore known...over the months of playing I've tweaked his backstory to what I want it to be...and just recently, I've added something that as of yet is not integral...but it will soon become so.

My point is, I need to know how far-fetched and ridiculous this seems.

My plan, is that Zorael's mother is the offspring of a Dragon and Quel'dorei. ((Yes, Izrail, I noticed your post about half-dragons, hence my question)). The fact of the matter is, since I don't read Lore, I need someone to know if it has stated anywhere that it DOES NOT exist. No, his mother was not a scale covered humanoid, by any means necessary. She couldn't breathe fire, or fly, nor did she have super-elven(?) strength. If she could, Zorael wouldn't have been born((if curious, see Just a Taste thread in Non-TN)).

However, I noticed that dragons can change form. And yes, I can see how in Dragon culture, or whatever they have, it would be an abomination and a blasphemy to mate with anything other than a dragon. At the same time, are not some dragon's ((as well as usual beings)) clairvoyant? To some extent. **

As for what this gives Zorael...nothing more than a trump card to use if Rp starts heading in a bad way. ((PM if you want to know what I mean...)). There's just some places that I can't go...but I want to keep it RP. Also, it gives him a unique look, and explains a few things about his appearance and actions.

So, post back, and try to keep the WTFNOOBTARD comments to a minimum. I need constructive material so I can decide if I want to go ahead and start brainstorming to fill in the gaps of this, or toss the idea completely.

** I'd like to insert here that the clairvoyance reference is a brainstorm to help explain why a Dragon would commit such a social suicide/taboo. It does have relevance =P

A half-dragon by its nature is not neccessarily bad:

It's just cliche.

You're going to take alot of flak no matter how interesting you make it, unless you keep it a SUPER SECRET and only reveal it long after you're a well established character whom everyone considers a good RPer.

But you just put the idea out there - so that's out of the picture.

Having a half-dragon actually presents an interesting story concept - there's alot of things you COULD do, but alot of things you probably SHOULDN'T (I'm homies with Nozdormu yo, i can travel teh tiemz - NO.) so while I think a half-dragon isn't in and of itself a terrible idea, you're gonna want to dig DEEP into the lore, and then LATHER that shit with a heavy dose of your own creativity to make it not suck.

Take Yat's character for example.

Basic premise:

Lived as a human in Arathor

Was sealed by voodoo magic

Arthas weakened this magic when he destroyed sunwell and let loose plague

A few years later, Yat awakes and is an entirely new world from his old one

Wow, isn't that cliche? AWESOME WARRIOR SEALED FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS NOW RETURNS BECAUSE HE'S A BADASS.

And yet, everyone I RP with goes and reads my bio or I tell them my story and they go "Wow, that's cool. That's unique."

Because I go BEYOND just the basic premise. I put it details, I make it work with the current lore, and I also smashed a whole bunch of my own imagination onto it, especially concerning his life in Arathor. (considering the Arathor lore is limited to: Tribal humans, smashed stuff, were badasses)

Now, I'm not going to extoll my powers of storytelling and tell you that I'M THE GREATEST RPER EVAR. Much more mundane/normal backgrounds for characters can be just as interesting (Because the CHARACTER is interesting.) because they might be more real.

In the end, it's up to how you play the character. If you RP well and make things interesting, the fact that you're half dragon probably won't matter.

Still, it is kinda cliche. :P

Fair enough. I figured it'd be tagged as cliche'd, but then again..I've never seen it personally. The closest I've seen is someone possessed by a dragon.

I've been playing this game for bordering on two years now...I think it was about two months or maybe more after BC came out. I've been RPing for that amount minus three months ((if that makes sense =P)). I've seen a fair share of RP, but most of it was always self-contained to characters sticking to what their chars are. Blood elves are blood elves ((maybe a few half-bloods now and again, always human breeds though)), trolls are trolls, and catwomen are catwomen.

Also, my plan wasn't exactly to be able to travel through time. I like to build alot of my RP one what lore DOESN"T cover, hence Zor's guild...and his storyline...and his pa- Okay, there's going to be alot of hences. Point being is, I try to keep it parallel in eligibility as the things Lore -does- cover. I know I'm stepping into a mine field with this mindset...but using what's given makes me feel constricted I guess...I dunno. ((*cowers* NUUU NO CRUCIFY ME!!!)).

I'd rather not go into it...but there's been times when people I RP with regularly tell me something has happened that they didn't like..but they went with it because they stay true to RP. Admirable...but at some point, I'd be god moding the hell out of it, or just walking away. No, I'm not talking about a fight, or whatever other incontroversial thing I can't think of right now, but something that has a highly negative emotional impact on me, and I can't RP through. So...instead of just saying fuck it all, I try to give them something they can pull out as a last resort.

Again, it's not some uber power. It's not something offensive, nor is it highly stupid or makes no sense at all. I wouldn't say I'm very established on TNG, but the people who I RP with regularly seem to believe I'm decent at RP...or are lying out their asses...>.> *glares suspiciously*.

Point being is...wait, why did I reply to this again..whatever. Yeah anyways, main point, I didn't see much of dragons in RP, and I wanted to integrate it more. So...he's actually a 1/4 dragon..but it doesn't matter how much is in him...he won't show dracon features. It just has to do with blood.

Bloodzorz ftw. ((wait what?))

But there's no precedence for it.

There's not even anything that has a possibility that any Dragon has ever shown more than a respect for mortal creatures.

Let alone that there's only been 4 recorded half-breeds, with only the Mok'Nathal known to be able to reproduce out of that.

Human|Quel'dorei

Orc|Ogre

Orc|Human|Draenei (whatever the fuck they want Garona to be, although Lantressor of the Burning Blade is confirmed to be an Orc-Draenei Mutt)

Ginger

I understand the point...but at the same time...what's your point?

Why is the fact that there is no precedence have to be a hindrance? Why is that not a motivator? Who's to say why this dragon did this? Again, that's a gap I'd need to fill, and I have a few ideas swirlin' around already. Everything has to have a first.

((Though yay me for having quel'dorei/human half breed w/o ever picking up a lore book ^_^))

I'm not doing anything monumental here, I'm not planning to RP it out, or make others cope with it. I was just asking how far-fetched is it in general? ((minus the no precedence)) Cause in my mind, it's this, or just walking away...and that just feels lazy.

((Though yay me for having quel'dorei/human half breed w/o ever picking up a lore book ^_^))

Apparently Ginger-Love is so strong that Rhonin was able to spawn elven children. This is even another reason why people hate Rhonin. It set the precedence for elven mutts. It is regularly looked down upon that it was with the third Windrunner Sister.

I'm not doing anything monumental here, I'm not planning to RP it out, or make others cope with it. I was just asking how far-fetched is it in general? ((minus the no precedence)) Cause in my mind, it's this, or just walking away...and that just feels lazy.

I would consider it terribly far fetched from a mythical and genetic standpoint. You have immortal supernatural creatures of magic being impregnated, or impregnating, miniscule mortal races with little or no true affinity to true power. These are draconic beings that were literally spawned and gifted by the power of the Gods of Gods, and they can somehow mix genetic material with things that were a "mix-up" of rocks, a devolved snow giant, or, a troll mutated by a energy well?

I mean, seriously?

Cliche wasn't the correct word.

"Hacked" would be better.

Yeah, it's original in -WoW-, but only because half-dragon crazy shit like that doesn't realistically happen.

Now, you can make a fantastic character, or more accurately, a character with fantastic elements (once again: See my character.) that still fits lore and is a real human. Random crazy shit happens in RL too, it just doesn't involve dragons getting it on with high elves.

Like I said, it is intruiging, and you COULD make it interesting, you're just walking a razor's edge between "holy shit that's cool" and "that just wouldn't happen and is totally outlandish..."

Filling in "lore gaps" by expounding upon the current lore I think is good - but randomly adding to it and making a story that's 90% an utter departure.... blah. It doesn't feel "Warcraft" to me then. Then it's just "random fantasy RP" - which is great for the random fantasy world it fits into, but not for Warcraft.

Again, if you want to go to that kind of distance, gotta be damn careful.

But there's no precedence for it.

There's not even anything that has a possibility that any Dragon has ever shown more than a respect for mortal creatures.

Kalecgos and Anveena, and Tyrygosa and Jorad, although nothing's come of it, since Anveena sacrificed herself to reignite the Sunwell, and Kalec and Tyri are supposed to mates.

And Arator was around a lot longer before Rhonin's offspring.

If you want to have some affinity for, or some power associated with, dragons, but you think the half-breed will be too hard to pull off, you can always come up with another idea. Let's take the story of Siegfried for an example. After killing Fafnir (a dragon at this point in the story), he ended up bathing in its blood, gaining invulnerability. He also gained some abilities by drinking its blood and eating its heart.

Of course, you can't be invulnerable, but it's another idea, perhaps.

Personally, I would be a hypocrite if I said "No, you can't do that."

I think anyone who knows a good deal about Carmen, knows it stands alone and seperate with lore. Why? Because when I first created her I knew very little lore. One thing though, is that because it stands alone it doesn't conflict directly with other lore. Though, it be out there and fantastical.

Now, as per paying attention to lore when we roleplay here. I would say it is a good thing to know lore at least, even if it doesn't apply to your character. Why? Because your character would know certain things if he lived in that environment, so avoiding lore would be as if you kept the television off, never read the paper and isolated yourself. You would literally have no clue as to what went on around you. Is this possible? Well yes of course! However if he is out on the field mingling with others, fighting the good fight... you better believe he is going to have all kinds of knowledge.

I used to roll my eyes at lore 133tists. I didn't think it was all that important until I actually created my second character, who is very lore based. All of a sudden my eyes were opened (thanks to Aderas /smooch), and I could actually see why people get irked when there is some sort of lore inconsistency. Now, I see it all over the place... because well folks just don't know! And they will get really defensive even if you try to inform them gently. I generally don't, because I am not a dictating sort of person. I will voice opinions but, at the end of the day it is up to you as the player if you want to fully immerse yourself into the platform we have been given.

At the very least read some things. If not anything else you will find it entertaining and motivate you to learn more.

/hugs dear

Meh. People can do what they like with their characters, whether developed deep in lore or not. Brox was based off very little lore when I first started. I had the gist of it all and made a story. I am constantly having to go back and figure out what he was doing during such and such time, because for about 10 years he lived in the wilderness away from civilization. Away from the Wars. So...on with my post.

I am not a big fan of mixing in dragons into RP, especially half breeds. Dragons are the guardians of the world and almost in an essence, a god. Demi-god, would probably be closer. It would be the same sort of feeling if someone was a half breed of Remulos in Moonglade. It will be hard to RP it out without having people shun or look down at it, because it can be borderline god-modding with what dragons can do. Even half breeds. That is ALOT of power to be in a simple mortal being, even if it is half or a quarter.

Is it possible? Yes. Most definitely. Though the result in the offspring would be something huge.

It is a sensitive path to walk down. A tight rope walk. One wrong step and it can all come tumbling down.

Kalecgos and Anveena.

to call a corporeal being that was the supernatural power of the Sunwell made Manifest "Mortal creature" is laughable.

Tyrygosa is the suitor to Kalecgos. I don't think there's even a sliver of attraction those two have to mortal races because they're in a relationship with each other. They harbor respect and duty to watch over them, but nothing else.

Kalecgos and Anveena, and Tyrygosa and Jorad, although nothing's come of it, since Anveena sacrificed herself to reignite the Sunwell, and Kalec and Tyri are supposed to mates.

And Arator was around a lot longer before Rhonin's offspring.

You can't really use Anveena as an example, she isn't a real human, so technically Kalecgos loves the sunwell energy's persona ;p (that is an epic fight with an epic ending, btw >.>)

Tyri and Jorad are a good example of dragon/human love, but I highly doubt they'd produce offspring, considering that she is Kalec's mate ;p

So - be careful how you write that story, but I'm so tired of hearing about all the things you can't do, that I'd say fuck it and go with it.

Oh and -- Aleria did it first with Arator, its not surprising that her sister could have half human babies. Twins is a bit much, but obviously its happened. "Extremely rare" doesn't mean "can't exist".

I've seen this done before and I had a hard time swallowing it in RP. Simply because our characters can't yet turn into dragon form. They have little pets. They have mounts. But they don't turn into dragons.

While it's creative, it's not possible from a game standpoint. If your character turns into a dragon, he's going to have to explain to all the people who don't use RP mods. Also, he's going to get people who believe RP mods are despicable who will not believe his form is changing.

My troll ran into this guy who had a 'Warglaive' at level 20. She knew from the way others talked about Warglaives that it was something really, really powerful and only powerful could attempt to retrieve it. She didn't take him seriously. She thought he was a nutbar. There will be people who think the same thing.

Expect that some people will not take you seriously if you are flaunting it around. Some may even mock you. That's when you have to decide if it's plausible to be dragon because dragon power is pretty massive. You won't be able to use it. Ever. If someone doesn't believe you are a dragon and wants you to prove it, you can't.

In that way this game can be pretty disappointing and that's been beaten with a stick a hundred thousand ways here.

Lore is lovely. There's so much play within the boundaries. Yet we are not Jaina Proudmoores or Thralls. Our characters are supposed to be heroes, but from the quest text I get the feeling like they're just the exterminators/mercenaries that are willing to stick their hand in the dung.

With a background as a dragon, is your character willing to stick his hand in dung? Why doesn't he study with his dragon family who are considerably more powerful? Reach in and decide whether it's something cool because dragons are cool or if it's something that you want to really do.

It is possible to know about the Dragonflights and not be one.

Ah, I'm glad for the feedback. And all are very valid points. But I have noticed some confusion with my actual intentions with having a already quel'dorei human halfbreed, and the quel'dorei side being 1/4 dragon ((You do the math=P)).

The intent isn't to have any dracon characteristics WHATSOEVER. No dragon morphing...hell, not even real allegience, or affinity to dragons. The intent is to give him a relation to the dragons, and thus, a spirit guardian, his grandfather. ((It's all about protection)) The place where even I am sketchy with the idea is that I'd have to introduce a brand new strand of Dragons, The Silver Dragonflight. While this is nowhere listed in Lore...my reasoning is who's to say all the dragons have been discovered?

Now that you get a kind of gist of what I'm looking at here. Perhaps revise your theories/facts/statements for relevance to this, now that you know?

((If anyone knows of a Silver Dragonflight, let me know.))

I would consider it terribly far fetched from a mythical and genetic standpoint. You have immortal supernatural creatures of magic being impregnated, or impregnating, miniscule mortal races with little or no true affinity to true power. These are draconic beings that were literally spawned and gifted by the power of the Gods of Gods, and they can somehow mix genetic material with things that were a "mix-up" of rocks, a devolved snow giant, or, a troll mutated by a energy well?

I mean, seriously?

Magic.

'Nuff said.

While this is nowhere listed in Lore...my reasoning is who's to say all the dragons have been discovered?

The Titans

Magic.

'Nuff said.

Unless you've got a haste spell to cast on your sperm or a shrinker expander to place on your vulva, it ain't happenin.

Ah, I'm glad for the feedback. And all are very valid points. But I have noticed some confusion with my actual intentions with having a already quel'dorei human halfbreed, and the quel'dorei side being 1/4 dragon ((You do the math=P)).

The intent isn't to have any dracon characteristics WHATSOEVER. No dragon morphing...hell, not even real allegience, or affinity to dragons. The intent is to give him a relation to the dragons, and thus, a spirit guardian, his grandfather. ((It's all about protection)) The place where even I am sketchy with the idea is that I'd have to introduce a brand new strand of Dragons, The Silver Dragonflight. While this is nowhere listed in Lore...my reasoning is who's to say all the dragons have been discovered?

Now that you get a kind of gist of what I'm looking at here. Perhaps revise your theories/facts/statements for relevance to this, now that you know?

((If anyone knows of a Silver Dragonflight, let me know.))

http://www.wowwiki.com/Dragonflight

This is a complete list of the Dragonflights that are in game/lore/story whatever right now. Silver may be stretching it some, but I guess the question would be, what would the Silver flight have over the others?

Blue is the keepers of the magicks and arcane arts.

Red is the bringing of life.

Bronze are the keepers of time.

Green keep watch over the Emerald Dream and such.

Black is...well, they have been lost, I guess. They are pretty much evil.

Netherwing is a side result of Black dragon eggs caught in the ripping apart of what is now Outland.

Infinite flight is a group that just messes with history? [lol]

Plagued were once black dragon eggs that have had the plague used on them.

And lastly, the Chormatic is made from the essences of all the other dragon flights as a weapon against them and a means to reproduce his own flight.

More detailed links are available above, this is just a summed up version.

Are there possibly more Dragonflights? Yeah, I guess there could be, but none of the major ones. One of the biggest things about new flights being introduced is they are a result of someone or something screwing around with one of the five main flights.

Blizz has pulled odder things out of their ass. -shrug.-

Unless you've got a haste spell to cast on your sperm or a shrinker expander to place on your vulva, it ain't happenin.

Shapeshifting covers that. A feminine form probablly wouldn't be able to concieve, but a male form isn't neccisarily infertle. Taking this into account, the child would have an innate magic to them (see Sorcerer in 3.5 D&D), though not to the extent to a "true" halfbreed.

A new dragonflight would be hard to justify. Originally there were specifically the 5 dragonflights

Red - guardians of life

Blue - guardians of magic (most of them are now dead)

Green - guardians of (nature?)

Bronze - guardians of time

Black - guardians of earth (though they went a bit mad...)

Since WoW was released, a few crossbreeds (like the chromatic dragons) and mutated breeds (like the netherwing) have been created/discovered, but an entirely new flight that nobody's ever heard of would be stretching things a bit - especially if Blizz later adds said flight and it's completely different from the way you'd spun it. I'd say you're better off using one of the established flights.

EDIT: Brox said it way better. Especially this line:

One of the biggest things about new flights being introduced is they are a result of someone or something screwing around with one of the five main flights.

But I forgot

Dragons are Mythic Reptiles

Reptiles Lay Eggs.

So you spawned from a Dragon Egg?

Or rather, some mortal creature was humping a dragon egg?

But I forgot

Dragons are Mythic Reptiles

Reptiles Lay Eggs.

So you spawned from a Dragon Egg?

Or rather, some mortal creature was humping a dragon egg?

Step one: Grab a knife

Step two: CAREFULLY cut a small circular hole into the shell of the unfertilized egg.

Step three: De-pants yourself.

Step four: ????

Step five: PROFIT!

Not to sound like a mod, but I'd rather the criticizm remain constructive, and veer away from juvenile insults.

And yes, this is mainly why I was feeling sketchy on the whole new Dragonflight idea. But again, Brox, you miss my intentions. I dont' want an uber god Silver flight...that's so wtfpwn against the rest. The dragon is meant to be a means for me to get out of a controversial RP without breaking character.Thus, any dragon could easily overcome a small group of humanoids. ((Fitting in with the fact that you may down world dragons with a nicely organized raid...but if I get into a position where my char is hunted by that many people...I wouldn't have been RPing =P)). That's about it. As for the conception...the fact that they can take a male humanoid form was what I was basing that on...that was removed from my own arguments for the sheer fact that it's kinda obvious.