Ellsbeth

What is RP Bad Form to You? *DISCUSSION*

I'm curious to know what RP faux pas exist for you guys.

One big one for me is RP Guild Poaching. Since the community is so small, offering bribes or trying to steal members from other guilds is not kosher. It causes bad feelings all round.

Also I cringe when someone knows my name if we haven't met. It's something that can be explained and sometimes it's an honest mistake. But wouldn't you find it creepy if someone walked up to you and said your name if you've never met them. My characters are hardly celebrities and used to that kind of thing.

Edit:

For those just coming to this thread, this is not meant to be a hate fest. It's a bad form fest. What's the difference?

First off, here's some bad form. I'm quoting myself.

Seriously though... I didn't want to say "What are the things you hate about ..." because bad form is not hate. It's like peeves of pets. If you ever hear a British guy say, "Bad form old chap!" it's hard not to laugh. Just ask Amaurn to say it sometime and you'll get him to bristle saying that British people don't say "Bad form old chap" but it's lies. THEY ALL DO.

Bad form is not anger and hatred. Bad form is just the things that irk you, drive you batty, or just things that you have learned you didn't do right and have changed over time. Bad form is not meant to be attacking to people who do the things, it's just a way to review the mistakes that people may make in RP and why it's possible that some RPers aren't enjoying playstyles.

So! Come in here with a bit of a smile. Air out that dirty RP laundry that you've done. Take everything with a little bit of sugar and above all, I hope this thread helps people learn new ways of RPing or even solidify their current RP path.

I absolutely cringe every time some puts their character's thoughts into an emote.

i.e. "Joe wonders why Liadain has her sword at his throat and hopes that she doesn't kill him."

I have on occasion been known to reply with a smart ass...

"Liadain is shocked to discover she has psychic powers and can read Joe's mind."

Would it really be that hard to say...

"Joe tenses, holding his breath."

It conveys the same thing without giving me information I shouldn't have and makes the RP environment more interesting.

/endrant ;)

I absolutely cringe every time some puts their character's thoughts into an emote.

i.e. "Joe wonders why Liadain has her sword at his throat and hopes that she doesn't kill him."

OMG I hate that too!! So much! I should not know what you are thinking, RP out your motions! Lemme figure it out!!

i agree with the name thing. i've slipped with that recently because i was so excited for my character to be talking to someone in roleplay, kind of forgot we hadn't officially 'met', doh. it went off without a hitch but i apologized in a tell.

i don't like the double brackets thing. i guess it has to do with the colour of the texts. i have the different colours, all default, set in my brain so that "this" is roleplay, this purple is tells that might be ooc or not, this orangey red thing is an emote. when ppl are roleplaying an awesome scene, and i have the privilege of watching, and they're also having an ooc discussion in double brackets in say... i kinda could do without that. but i'm only the observer in such cases. i guess really the ppl playing that scene are the ones that matter most and they should do what's comfy.

it feels strange when someone is standing in front of you and they say ((i'm not here!)). er. yes you are. imma hold you to it. because it's not a text based rp, it's an honest eye-candy adventure. and their pixels are the representation of their character just as much as their typed out text. last night in our guild 'office' someone logged on accidentally, just hit the wrong enter button. hey it happens! but it's okay to rp it out too. roleplay takes some brains sometimes. oh the clever things i watch ppl come up with, just amazing! you can rp your way outta anything!

and the last thing that for me is in roleplay, bad form...relying on the roleplay add-ons. i'm from a pvp server originally. i didn't get that far there, but just because the blood elves weren't in the game and i just don't like goodie goodie tree hugger roleplay, and refuse to play something short, ugly or human. anyway! i came to twisting nether for the RP part of the RPPVP. the PVP part was just a great bonus - pvp to me is the epitome of roleplay! yes i hate you, now i will kill you, muahahhaa! but i kept meeting ppl who sent me tells and insisted i get add-ons in order to roleplay properly. wha? huh? why would i do that? well i can see why, now. some ppl have extended their characters beyond the game's world. they've got looks they can't obtain in the game or come from lands or people that don't exist. or they just don't want to be roleplay all the time. and the add-ons make it easier. i wish rather that they would really roleplay it out. "Joeschmoe looks at you from behind azure blue eyes and smiles wickedly, his teeth crooked and jagged." "Juliette flings her long chestnut brown hair and glares at the newcomer, speaking with a hiss, 'We don't serve your kind here.'" if ppl expect everyone to get add-ons to say "yes im rp" or "yes you see my char but i'm not 'really' here" well...i guess it's one of those things that separates us from others. i wish ppl would work inside the game. yes have the inventive amazing storylines that take the blizzard world and expand it, but roleplay it out. straight up.

hrm. other faux pas of course is god moding. "i am a god". "oh really now...so if i get forty people together and we take you to gurubashi arena, we should have no trouble kickin' yer ass...oh and don't forget to give us all ten gold each! cuz that's what we do with gods in this world, mister!" muahahhaa! oh i'm so funny..but not really...mkay....

I totally can't stand the ((I'm not here)) thing either. Seriously, I've hidden Cabriel inside bushes, behind crates, on hammocks, or "inside" big NPC's just so he's not standing around with a "dur" look on his beautiful, chiseled face.

Honestly? I don't like the "my hearthstone is a cell phone" thing. It just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

When my imp or succubus is in phase shift, you can't seem them. No one can. Stop seeing them.

Unless you know a character (or know OF them through a legit RP contact), you shouldn't automatically know their profession, class, etc.

Would your character hang out in a bar or an inn fully armed? Really?...really??

Don't walk through me, please.

I think it's appropriate to allow a bit of time after you send /s or emote to allow the other character to react. Nothin' worse than an RP session that you literally have to untangle.

Oh, and assume nothing.

The absolute worst is when folks can't or won't separate IC from OOC. If something bad happens to my character IC ((which if you've read my bio, happens quite often)) I don't whine and cry about it OOC. Hell, people have brutally beaten her up, spit on her and all manner of things and I can still be friendly with that person out of role play. Sometimes storylines and character personalities also become distorted because of some lame out of character conflict... and I find that incredibly immature as well.

Cliques and snubbing are the next on my list. I see the more popular RPers snub lowbie or lesser known roleplayers all the time. It is one thing if you have a IC reason for it, but otherwise, gimme a break. Sometimes as mentioned above people will snub you for OOC reasons, and that is equally immature and ridiculous. We are all adults here, this is not high school (at least I hope it's not), it's time to wear our big-kid panties.

Also I cringe when someone knows my name if we haven't met. It's something that can be explained and sometimes it's an honest mistake. But wouldn't you find it creepy if someone walked up to you and said your name if you've never met them. My characters are hardly celebrities and used to that kind of thing.

Aren't you exalted with various factions? If you have spent any decent amount of time on Quel'Danas, one of the guards has certainly praised your name as you walked by.

I'm kind of on the fence with the emotion filled emotes. On one hand, it's true that you can't act out an emotion, but we are not standing there face to face and the emotes are all we have. I could say "Taknar stares at you." but unless you are extremely lucky in guessing what I mean to portray, you will most likely not react in a manner relating to the intended expressed emotion. That leaves me with two options. The first being a long sentence such as "Taknar stares at you, snarling. He wraps his hand tightly around his mace and points at you, followed by running a finger along his neck." The second is "Taknar stares at you with murderous intent."

I don't have a lot of time to play this game (okay I do, but I really don't want to have the time). I will always take option two. If that means that I don't get to RP with the RP purists, that's fine. I will take my smaller pool of friends as a penalty for my laziness.

Would your character hang out in a bar or an inn fully armed? Really?...really??

Actually yes - Yat would. But he's a special case, alot of RPers I know have a casual set, which makes sense.

The name thing is a rookie mistake - I've seen it and done it before, it's not a big deal, I let it slide, long as it isn't a recurring problem.

I don't find the "radio hearthstone" to be a problem - it doesn't really bother me. I mean hell, it's magic dammit!

The ((I'm not here!)) deal really doesn't bother me that much - I don't think it's important to be so nazi as to RP EVERYTHING, and you're required to be everywhere IC at all times. That, in my opinion, is bad form as it seems really... short-sighted. OOC shenanigans are just as fun as RP. If an RPer doesn't want to RP at the time, but he's in X location, then who are you to tell you "NO UR RPING WITH ME". Kinda douche-like imo.

Never had an RP add-on, but I DO agree that relying on them is lame, it's better to reveal it in RP, and the same with "RPing thoughts" - RPing your exterior emotional reactions is much more engaging, as you can get alot deeper of an interaction that way.

Oh, and having poor spelling and capitilzation/grammar. ANNOYS THE SHIT OUT OF ME.

...someone forcing groups to pay them cash for an instance run, spamming advertisements in LFG and General for such, then when anyone asks, they say "I'm a Mercenary, it's RP"

...want to smite them -.-

The 'knowing someones name' thing is a pain, but usually a beginner mistake, and easily corrected.

I've never liked the emoting thoughts thing. Someone in the guild does it a lot, and I'm always like "DUDE, NOT TELEPATHIC".

I'm with Cabriel on the Hearthstone thing as well, but not the armed in an inn thing. Keraphs RP gear is also his PvP gear /nod

There would be more but work is over and I need to go hoooooome!

POOR SPELLING.

You could have the best RP in the world, but if it's poorly spelled, I completely ignore it. It literally makes me twitch. The occasional spelling mistake is one thing but constant mistakes are horrifying to me.

I hate constant, endless one liners with no content.

Content!

We needs it, we wants it!

The content!

I don't like when all RP is 75% canned emotes. I enjoy a thought-out paragraph. I do like to read character's thoughts. I post Al's actions, reactions, body language, and an inner voice, as well as an attempt at giving my writing a tone through word choice. I write to be read. Just because I post something, doesn't mean your character has to know it - they can miss the subtle shifting or weight, or the way a brow furrows as this or that thought crosses his mind. It gives the writing flavor where it could otherwise be dry and mechanical.

One-liners and canned emotes have a place and a time - like when you're short on time, talking over whispers/party/guild, or in combat, or just passing by, or don't intend to really RP with someone.

But since I've long ago realized my style is a minority, I've come to the position of giving as much as I get, and it seems to serve me well enough.

POOR SPELLING.

You could have the best RP in the world, but if it's poorly spelled, I completely ignore it. It literally makes me twitch. The occasional spelling mistake is one thing but constant mistakes are horrifying to me.

I'm like that in a different way. You could have the best ideas for world reform, but unless you can do calculus I completely ignore it. It literally makes me twitch. The occasional math mistake is one thing but constant mistakes are horrifying to me.

/endMeanSarcasmToMakeAPoint

Please don't take what I just typed as a personal shot, but if you ignore people's creativity based on their grasp of the English language you're only limiting yourself not them, even though that other person takes the flak for it.

(Before people say there is a greater connection to spelling and creative expression than there is between mathematics and world reform, both mathematics and spelling are tools of communication that can be used to express ideas of world reform or creative roleplay, respectively)

Content!

The content!

I don't like when all RP is 75% canned emotes. I enjoy a thought-out paragraph. I do like to read character's thoughts. I post Al's actions, reactions, body language, and an inner voice, as well as an attempt at giving my writing a tone through word choice. I write to be read. Just because I post something, doesn't mean your character has to know it - they can miss the subtle shifting or weight, or the way a brow furrows as this or that thought crosses his mind. It gives the writing flavor where it could otherwise be dry and mechanical.

One-liners and canned emotes have a place and a time - like when you're short on time, talking over whispers/party/guild, or in combat, or just passing by, or don't intend to really RP with someone.

But since I've long ago realized my style is a minority, I've come to the position of giving as much as I get, and it seems to serve me well enough.

Oh I agree.

I think the programmed emotes are lacking as hell. I LOVE reading a well written emote/paragraph - I write them myself. But there's a difference between being very descriptive and creative in how you describe your character's actions (which is the spice of world RP, otherwise it's boring) and basically laying out his thoughts - I'll go along with whatever, but I think that's just a bit much.

I have on occasion been known to reply with a smart ass...

"Liadain is shocked to discover she has psychic powers and can read Joe's mind."

I have seen this happen quite a bit, usually thinking to myself "Alright, I'm making an angry post SOMEWHERE to address this crap!" But, I then think that I would come off as a jerk or something so I haven't done it... yet.

The absolute worst is when folks can't or won't separate IC from OOC. If something bad happens to my character IC ((which if you've read my bio, happens quite often)) I don't whine and cry about it OOC. Hell, people have brutally beaten her up, spit on her and all manner of things and I can still be friendly with that person out of role play. Sometimes storylines and character personalities also become distorted because of some lame out of character conflict... and I find that incredibly immature as well.

This. This. Oh lord, this.

I have seen this happen a LOT. So much so that whenever I think something like this has happened I jump on the situation with /tells and try to sort out the situation. Not always successful, but hey, I tried.

As far as RP addons go, I use MRP only because I want a flipping last name for my character and a title. That is all I fill in. The only other perks to using it for me is seeing guild ranks for players in guilds (and I have caught one person in a lie where they said that they were an officer in their guild, but the tooltip said that they were a "Trial". That was a good day.) and pointing out other Rper's, which does not equate to every RPer. In no way do I say that all RPer's should have one, but I do recommend it. =)

being ignored, ICly or OOCly.

If ICly, you ignore a character...you should emote it or something. It's no fun to watch to people fight and guy 2 repeats somethign ten times cause guy one is ICly ignoring him, but guy 2 thinks it's a tell hell thing.

Another is people who get so bent out of shape when some one jumps into a story line. Ok, cool, you're all havign a meeting in public about a storyline, icly. Wait, I can't be there?

see also the won't change their story line at all, even if it means ignoring some cool on the fly RP.

I've seen it. It's bad.

Also, need to do more weddings. Weddings fun

I can honestly say I ignored someone once in RP and I still feel like a jerk for it. I know now that EVERYONE deserves attention for what their characters can do and what they as players can offer to the RP table. Sometimes that guy sitting at the inn, wearing the robes, not saying anything, will turn out to be the hidden gem.

I can honestly say I ignored someone once in RP and I still feel like a jerk for it. I know now that EVERYONE deserves attention for what their characters can do and what they as players can offer to the RP table. Sometimes that guy sitting at the inn, wearing the robes, not saying anything, will turn out to be the hidden gem.

Yeah..and by ignore, if Ells is all crotchy and all "damn youngbloods." and some kid tries to talk to her if you just /em ignores so and so cause she's grumpy" Then that's one thing.

Now get on Sole so she can reuinite with ehr little sis!

Another is people who get so bent out of shape when some one jumps into a story line. Ok, cool, you're all havign a meeting in public about a storyline, icly. Wait, I can't be there?

see also the won't change their story line at all, even if it means ignoring some cool on the fly RP.

One of my first introductions to RP that had an actual story arc to it, went a lot like this. It was "so-n-so is being taken to this place and it's all this other person's fault" an no amount of interceding or talk or anything was going to change it. Add to this that most happened in guild chat, yet we were all just audience to the event. Boring. Let me get involved, damn it.

Another is people not accepting realistic consequences to their actions. You steal my girlfriend or get someone killed? You're going to be on someone's IC shit list for it.

Don't walk through me, please.

Would love to buy collision especially in moments like that.

The worst is when you do the bob and weave and you both bob and weave into eachother.

The worst is when you do the bob and weave and you both bob and weave into eachother.

Yes! While it doesn't really bother me to any extent, this has always struck me as really ironic.

I just came up with another thing that sorta bothers me and that's people RPing things separate from their class abilities. and I mean far separate. Especially if they are dipping into other classes abilities to do it. I mean, it's great to want that kind of system here but FFXI isn't the game we're playing, it's WoW. At the very least don't pretend to me a master of both classes you're pretending to be. If you want to be a max level warlock/mage, RP a level 35 warlock and a level 35 mage. (And I want to be able to squish you accordingly ;D )

Content!

The content!

Yep! I also like this style and utilize it to the best of my ability. The only time I don't do thought out emotes if I am in a hurry or there is a busy crowd at the bar. I also rp my characters thoughts, subtle facial expression, and try not to be too repetitive. We should rp sometime!

I need to work on the content part... still new to this whole RP dealio. But one thing that gets me is Hunters using EotB in stupid ways like running away and just walking their pet around, up on the bar, trying to get my attention.

I need to work on the content part... still new to this whole RP dealio. But one thing that gets me is Hunters using EotB in stupid ways like running away and just walking their pet around, up on the bar, trying to get my attention.

Quite retarded indeed.

Hmm...Gory rant coming on.

Not a fan of the telepathic emoting. In fact, that usually results in some internal bleeding.

God moding is an obvious no no. However, I've been accused of it, and I'd like to get some clarification on what exactly god moding is. I like having a powerful character, yes. I don't like someone who can get their ass handed to them by an infected squirrel. Nor do I like someone who can't defend their own honor. So when I take the time to have a full backstory as to why he can erect an impenetrable barrier...why ignore it? Or why go "possessed" and walk through it like its tissue paper? Maybe I'm trying to RP out me saying "PRIVATE RP GO AWAY!!!" ((No, I dont' do that in full public view, actually in a partially secluded location))

However, I don't make them all powerful. If they are not physically hindered, they are mentally. If you don't consider a mental defection or degredation a hindrance...than stay away from me. My main is a quagmire of mental instabilities, and I don't like it when I'm told that it doesnt' count for the sheer fact that he's ((in that exact instant)) invincible.

I hate the failing at grammar as well, but I can look past it. I'd rather RP with someone with impeccable spelling at the least, because I like to read books...and that's what I'm doing, living a story as its being written, follow?

Hate the walking through crap...but how bad would it fry the servers if Blizzard made everyone solid? ((Say bye to amusing positioning too *oops ran too far, oh damn!!!))

Finally, I think, I hate the mixing of IC and OOC. I RP an asshole, and I RP a blunt girl with no sense of modesty. Don't hate me for their actions. Also, I'm a scathing person OOC, but only if its amusing. If its not, tell me ((preferably politely)) and I'll rectify the issue. Don't just flip out randomly after enduring abuse, because that will piss me off.

Oh, and the (()) brackets dont' kill me at all. If there's nothing but brackets, I'll get grr, but besides that, nuh uh. I think its helpful and convienent when RPing with a small OR large group of people to be able to convey RL issues or other such nonsense without having to party/raid everyone up.