opalexian

On RP griefing, or not

Griefing RP is one thing, but playing a character who is disruptive, comedic, and not necessarily fitting your more serious RP is another thing, right? Because I encountered some RP at the ball tonight that, while I remained in character, others may have thought I was griefing. I moved on, but...Q does what Q does. So where does one stop and the other start?

Also my apologies if you felt I did grief you tonight. As I said, Q does what Q does (and not very intelligently I might add, especially his little 'errand' for Saph X D)

Personally, I think Q is a lot more fun to RP with than more serious characters, sorry I had to be AFK most of the time while sitting at the table.

We should be more concerned about attention-whore type characters. But I didn't see that much tonight. Glad I went, sorry I came so late.

Griefing RP is one thing, but playing a character who is disruptive, comedic, and not necessarily fitting your more serious RP is another thing, right? Because I encountered some RP at the ball tonight that, while I remained in character, others may have thought I was griefing. I moved on, but...Q does what Q does. So where does one stop and the other start?

Also my apologies if you felt I did grief you tonight. As I said, Q does what Q does (and not very intelligently I might add, especially his little 'errand' for Saph X D)

I RP with Xen. You can't scare me.

Anyways, at first, expect Naheal to dismiss you as being drunk or high on something at first. May take him a bit to get used to you :D

Oh he drinks too, because it does 'the funny things and makes people funny'

The main difference is that he's special sober too (see me story I'd been meaning to write for a while now for more *toots horn*)

I feel ya on this. I'm usually very non-committal when it comes to being in-character. Sometimes, I just want to relax and have fun, and not relive high-school or a Robert Jordan novel every time I log on to RP.

It's funny to me that frivolous and capricious style role-playing tends to leave its actor short come luminary club dues, while in the background, the last thing the actual game world does is take itself any kind of serious.

People are welcome to their 'dramaturgy,' but don't discount me when I, while playing in the tongue-in-cheek spirit of the game, inadvertently remind that you're trying to make the equivalent of a Dali out of Dragonball fan art.

I can appreciate being sensitive to the spirit of the event or storyline, but nonsense is just as legitimate and part of the world as heroic epics, blood-feud rivalries, and elf sex. Just sometimes not as orthodox.

I feel ya on this. I'm usually very non-committal when it comes to being in-character. Sometimes, I just want to relax and have fun, and not relive high-school or a Robert Jordan novel every time I log on to RP.

I didn't attend the ball, but I wholeheartedly agree. I rp to enjoy myself, to have fun. My idea of fun is to NOT be involved in some he-said-she-said ridiculous drama, or worse yet, my cousins neighbor has been slain and I'm mourning the loss. Why log into a game to spend 20 minutes discussing you loss of a person who never really existed to a person who never met the person who never really existed.

Now.. if you want to go avenge your cousins neighbor.. That's starting to sound good.

Pompous role playing, no matter how done, is still pompous.

Of course, goofball role playing, no matter how done, is still goofball. Difference is, if you call me a goofball, I'll thank you.

Hell, call me something worse and I'll likely thank you as well.

Alliance RPers are used to silly RP because we have Dwarves. Just the accent alone is enough to make you laugh.

But really, silly RP characters can be what makes an event fun. RP isn't supposed to be a Romance movie. Your goal as an RPer is to play out a character that other RPers find enjoyable (mind you that doesn't neccisarily mean other CHARACTERS will find you enjoyable) while still having fun playing it yourself. If your character is enjoyable because he's a big goof ball that you just can't help but laugh at, then be that character. If people call you a griefer because you're ruining their romance novel, then just tell them "This is my character. This is what he does. If you have that much of a problem with it, don't RP with me."

Some people are overly sensitive about their RP.

The glory of a comic relief, goof-ball character is, if someone is going to get out of sorts from your RP, it's easy to extract yourself and find a more suitable RP landscape (read: someone who's not a tard). Goofballs tend to be very light-hearted and eager to move along to something else.

I saw you running about and passing Saph's "message" on, and nothing I saw could reasonably be labeled as anything close to griefing. It was obvious to me that you were in character.

I saw you running about and passing Saph's "message" on, and nothing I saw could reasonably be labeled as anything close to griefing. It was obvious to me that you were in character.

It was also lucky that the recipient had a few other things on his mind, or he would have been more irate at the "message" than he was. No I didn't see it as griefing at all.

Still, he is more than a bit annoyed at his sore ass.

hm.. if no one whined about me, emmons, kia and Zee running around silvermoon 'policing' them, it seems like you'd ahve to go pretty far with your RP to grief them.

Man we gotta start that up again.... emmons damn your real life! SMC is a den of crime!

Ball? :sad:

Silly RP? I won't go all Al Gore and claim to have invented it with Chingaso and continued it with Gor'vena, but it's pretty much what I do. And the only people who have ever given me the "cut it out" were non-RPers and one memorable turd who just couldn't handle the Val.

I'm sure you were fine as Q. If someone was getting bent out of shape then it sounds like it is would be their (the player) problem.

Not all of my characters are out and out goofballs, but there is a healthy dose of tongue in cheek with each of them.

All I can say is that some folks like scripts, others like to go with the flow. To each his own. ;)

I'm with Gorvena, there was a ball? But yeah I have felt that way to since I usually enter in with RPers with Roth scratching his head and going "Hey...". That and what Eva says is true, I have always considered Roth to be the appear and comic relief slash naive goof, yet when a RP changes from normal to talking about whos wood is bigger and make puns off of the broomstick mounts from halloween quickly made Roth the more serious one out of the bunch...cause I didn't have a broomstick mount!

Should have SSed that day haha

This can and will be taken places.

Ewwww! :o

I'm glad you took it in stride Skaf : D but I was thinking more of another incident while on my search for you. I walked past a couple people having a conversation about one of their injuries, which I of course overheard. They were concerned about her recovery, so I did the helpful thing, popped out of cat and cast rejuv, and said 'I can help!' Rather than being thanked for efforts or just ignoring it I was outright TOLD '((I'm ignoring that one.))' It kinda made me feel like they thought I was griefing them at the time but after reading this...get the sticks outta your asses! You know who you are! ; 3 :fap:

Lysimachus and I were severely tempted to bring Jhonathan and Janette von Creepster (no relation) to last night's event. Some of you know what this means.

I'm not sure if they're griefers or not. They might be our attention-whorishness manifesting itself. We're attempting to keep our von Creepster sessions very short and sparse so as not to get too obnoxious, which they would--we entertain ourselves for hours. But I find characters like them to be highly necessary to the psyche when playing serious characters gets as dramatic as it can. It's a nice salve.

Anyway, Jhonathan and Janette would have run away in horror once they discovered there was no cover charge for the event.

And I didn't find Qoroto to be annoying.

Lysimachus and I were severely tempted to bring Jhonathan and Janette von Creepster (no relation) to last night's event. Some of you know what this means.

I'm not sure if they're griefers or not. They might be our attention-whorishness manifesting itself. We're attempting to keep our von Creepster sessions very short and sparse so as not to get too obnoxious, which they would--we entertain ourselves for hours. But I find characters like them to be highly necessary to the psyche when playing serious characters gets as dramatic as it can. It's a nice salve.

Anyway, Jhonathan and Janette would have run away in horror once they discovered there was no cover charge for the event.

And I didn't find Qoroto to be annoying.

This party wasn't expensive enough for them.