The_Golden_Wolf

Faces of the Wolf (NSFW)

As per a PM request, heres me giving my part to the artists community and going over TGWs work and giving her a nice good, well rounded critique.

My first thing however, is to ask, how long have you been drawing?

This isnt ment as some sort of 'tee hee, that long?' sort of question. But one can be surprised by the level of skill of some self taught artists in regards to others that have taken the time to take classes, or have chosen it as their major in college (like myself).

My second question is: are you self taught, or are you attending classes in high-school/college for art, or is it your primary focus of study?

Enough questions from me! Heres my jist:

Your work is very strong. You have a very good handle of the necessary basics when it comes to drawing. Composition, line work, use of mediums, the whole shee-bango. I've seen that the majority of your work posted here is finished, or near to finished pieces. If you have alot more sketches, from life or from your head, I'd suggest posting them. You'd be suprised, but when looking at the sketchbooks of other artists, new, old, up and coming, its their sketches and random doodles that tend to be strong and lively.

There are a few things I would like to suggest, and these are by no means 'complaints' or 'attacks'. Artists should be open to critiques, and not all of them have to be positive. Even negative respones to a piece can boost ones artistic drive.

As I mentioned, you do have a good, strong and stable basis from what I've seen. A few things that could use some additional strengthening (sp?) is your anatomy. Arms and fingers especially are looking alittle to cone like, and start to lose definition. You're work on faces however is very very nice, and characteristic. You work alot with oval shapes, and curved lines, like old Renissance wood-carvings, or those of Rembrants. Use that stylistic approach with a stronger knowledge of anatomy could take your work even farther.

Theres a long list of anatomy books I would recommend, but in all honestly, its your own body, and watching and observing the human body in motion, in person, thats the best learning tool. Take a sketchbook and go to the mall or a coffee shop, park your rump in a nice spot, and do some doodles. Not feeling well? Gonna lay down abit? Do some sketches of your hand, or your feet, play around with foreshortening of the limbs. Study study study, and draw draw draw.

Repeatative sketches are what keeps those visuals fresh in your head when you go to do a drawing/painting/scultpure that isnt based of something you see.

Hope you find this all helpful!

-Jeed.

Thanks Jeed! And I'm pretty tough, I was expecting something rougher than that, even if it's not all flowers and rainbows I want to hear it.

I will take more time on my hands and fingers, I'm not too great at feet either. I think the thing I personally feel I am the worst at is, perspective.

You asked if I had taken classes or was self taught. I am pretty much 100% self taught. I tried taking a class once, and made it to two of them. The teacher was focusing allot on framing and I didn't have the patience for it. I pretty much learned by reading my brother's comic books, not sure if that is apparent or not.

Thanks Jeed! And I'm pretty tough, I was expecting something rougher than that, even if it's not all flowers and rainbows I want to hear it.

I will take more time on my hands and fingers, I'm not too great at feet either. I think the thing I personally feel I am the worst at is, perspective.

You asked if I had taken classes or was self taught. I am pretty much 100% self taught. I tried taking a class once, and made it to two of them. The teacher was focusing allot on framing and I didn't have the patience for it. I pretty much learned by reading my brother's comic books, not sure if that is apparent or not.

Never under-estimate the power of comic books and magazines as a learning tool for someone who can't take classes. Anyone that tells you that learning to draw from photographs, or uses a photo of a pose as a reference is cheating, is a complete and utter ninny.

Never under-estimate the power of comic books and magazines as a learning tool for someone who can't take classes. Anyone that tells you that learning to draw from photographs, or uses a photo of a pose as a reference is cheating, is a complete and utter ninny.

Tracing is for ninnies. Eyes are for winners.

Tracing is for ninnies. Eyes are for winners.

I didn't say tracing ONCE. I said, using photos as a REFERENCE. Just the same as looking at a model, you just look at a photo. Only difference is one is in 3d, the others in 2d.

Ninny :P

Desert Rose

10-21-200883955AM-1.jpg

I apologize for the dirtiness of this imagine, it was incredibly difficult to scan because of the size of the paper. I haven't posted anything in a while so I thought I would. This sketch is supposed to exemplify Carmen's musculature. She is short, very athletic, and narrow framed. She's also an excellent fisher! :)

So..where's the one of Till and Carmen talking about tribes while Carmen stares at Till all oogly eyed as she relates the tale sof her leading a tribe of Sandfury trolls?

;>>

Well I realized that her ears would be really short, after some thought on what her race is. She is half dwarf which is why she has such rounded facial features, short height and builds muscle so easily. You are right the picture isn't finished, but I can't figure out if her ears would even show. I have been giving her long elf ears and I'm thinkin' hers would be allot shorter. The question is how short?

Well I realized that her ears would be really short, after doing some though on what her race is. She is half dwarf which is why she has such rounded facial features, short height and builds muscle so easily. You are right the picture isn't finished, but I can't figure out if her ears would even show. I have been giving her long elf ears and I'm thinkin' hers would be allot shorter. The question is how short?

Oooh I see~!