The_Golden_Wolf

Women playing Gay Blood Elf men...WHY?

I dunno. I figured there had to be a fat elf SOMEWHERE.

Yeah, but what kind of elf sits on their ass all day and does nothing? Characters in the warcraft universe are constantly running about, fighting things and what not.

Though I... Suppose there are always exceptions.

Necro.jpg

Anywho, I never did actually state my own opinion when this originally came up, so I guess I will now.

When I originally rolled Malethia, I had no choice on race obviously. I thought the male Belf models looked like bad DBZ knockoffs, so I decided to try playing a female. I thought it would also help me develop better skills at writing for female characters, which I had previously avoided.

I did swear that I would NOT be one of those men who made their female character a lesbian because they thought it would be hot. For a long while I stuck to my guns, but it was actually the course of RP that brought me to that point. So I went with it.

In retrospect, I completely regret dealing with relationship RP. It's one thing when it's with someone you know personally, or better yet have a RL relationship with, so that the story is nice and stable. That way, it becomes a background element and you can focus on the other stuff. When it's not however, you run the risk of wrapping your story up with someone who's going to be one of THOSE PEOPLE and simply wander off once the next flavor of the week shows up. I've had it happen to me again

And again

And again

And again

And again, so that my RP eventually consisted of me constantly trying to extract myself from yet another entanglement when the other party wandered off. I honestly feel that I all but wrecked my character by doing so, because it began to feel like she became nothing but a walking, whining broken heart. It didn't help that at the time I was going through my own personal troubles, so the entire period is just a jumbled wreck.

This is why I'll be rerolling Malethia yet again come Cataclysm. The priest is the character who's going to be taking the blame for all that crap (a story I need to finish writing), leaving Malethia to return to the character she was supposed to be before I let other people drag me into drama I should never have gotten started with.

And I thought I wrote textwalls... No wonder this thread died in June.

Anyway...

Relationship RP is something that people get too emotionally invested in. Instead of the character experiencing the problems of a relationship, it's the player, and a large amount of RP relationships are forged for the purpose of causing some drama at the moment or for people to have that tragic "breakup" plotpoint.

Personally I find "breakup and relationship drama RP" to be contrite, boring, and a general waste of time. Then again, I got sick of that back in my IRC days. I don't have much problem having my characters move on, because it's either they do that or they get axed because they're too much of a burden and no longer fun to play.

As for the OP and chick RPers playing dudes... Gay men have an effeminate stereotype that pretty much says they'll react to things similarly to the way a typical woman will react, and do things that typically is common trait amongst women. As such, it's probably pretty easy for some women to play gay men.

Personally I don't think I could play a gay guy... All my male characters, so far, are heterosexual, or in the case of a so far completely unleveled tauren warrior... completely incapable of sexual reproduction and thus has no sexual yearnings to draw. My female characters are all mostly heterosexual, though I haven't decided fully for most of them.

Oh Sweet Monkey F*** . Let it DIE ALREADY. Seriously. This community has picked at this festering scab long enough, it worse than the great ERP debates on MG.

People rp race/class/gender/orientation XXXX Because it's FUN.

WE are all here to HAVE FUN.

Leave it alone Mnkay!?

Thankyou <3 <3 <3.

Relationship RP can be interesting, but not like a soap opera who-is-sleeping-with-whom bullshit, that's not interesting after about 20 seconds.

If it's weaved as an actual thematic and developing plot element within the context of the rest of both character's lives, it can be really cool, but it takes two good writers with active characters to do that, so I would not suggest going into a relationship RP with just anybody.

And for the love of god.

IC/OOC barrier.

Dur.

EDIT: I guess in a nutshell, cliches can be good plot devices and add to server lore if they're written well. Basically, good writers make good stories? Man, I'm so fucking insightful.

Why did this come back?? Oh how to hide my shame and ignorance! (esp as a bigendered/bisexual person)

You know... half my characters suddenly became male after I tried out my first, Professor Leah. He was such a hit that I had to make more, does that mean men are like pokemon? Still though, I have never played a gay male, but my warlock was bisexual.

I have a feeling I'd do a piss poor job at playing a gay man, donno why. Probably because I always have an irresistable urge to woo females

I really don't have an opinion on this, nor do I want one. Not really something I bother to think about.

But I WILL suggest this one tidbit, directed mostly to any male players that may have had or are having women relationship problems:

Study these gay male belfs played by women very closely, their mannerisms, how they talk to each other, what little gestures they do for each other.

Therein may lie some hidden gems of insight. ;)

Skaf! Oh how I miss thee! He always gave such good yet humorous advice.

As another gay man who (occasionally) plays gay male characters, I often try to play Spot the Woman :D when my gay male character (on this server, baby paladin Talorios) encounters another. In my own experience - as always, your mileage may vary - I find that women are more successful at playing gay men than men are at playing lesbians; although I have to admit that most (not all, but most) of the gay male characters I've met that are played by women tend to be flaming queens. Butch it up, ladies. ;)

More good advice, though it's nearly two years old. /huggles Aph

Relationship RP can be interesting, but not like a soap opera who-is-sleeping-with-whom bullshit, that's not interesting after about 20 seconds.

If it's weaved as an actual thematic and developing plot element within the context of the rest of both character's lives, it can be really cool, but it takes two good writers with active characters to do that, so I would not suggest going into a relationship RP with just anybody.

And for the love of god.

IC/OOC barrier.

Dur.

EDIT: I guess in a nutshell, cliches can be good plot devices and add to server lore if they're written well. Basically, good writers make good stories? Man, I'm so fucking insightful.

People are different in what they consider fun. Some people like Soap-Opera dramatic RP, and although I don't like it, I'm pretty much okay that they do, it's when that kind of RP is thrust upon me that I take annoyance to it.

Live and let live, you know?

However, although this is a necro'd thread, this topic is obviously one people are interested in talking about. Kovan isn't changing that by attempting to defend herself and informing people for the 132nd time that she is the target of the discussion and it's hurting her feelings. Let people talk about what they want to talk about, and if you don't like it you can kindly... What's that word?

Not look at the thread.

kthxbye <3

Whoa whoa.. I'm not hurt. It's just kind of been done to death from a zillion different angles. IF you actually go through and read the thread from the start.

Granted it used to be a sore point as when I was actually outed within the community as beign a female ( after about a year of playing here) there was alot of mockerey, and unkindness. There are -still- alot of women who are snide, and somehow feeling more than borderline threatened. Still don't get that one..

My post was more of a tongue in cheek lighthearted attempt to divert incoming drama-lama, I'm an older wiser person these days, and my rp is my own. I find ongoing linear politics both boring and trite , give me violence, drama and with a healthy dash of sensuality ( All to be kept IC) , but what works for me, isn't for everyone! And THATS OK!

As I said before, when it alllll washes out, we are all here for our personal enjoyment, If you don't like it? Don't do it, and let the next guy enjoy thier happyfunpretendytiems in the way that suits them best.

As a humourous side note Kovan the character has been drug kicking and screaming onto the Het side of the fence as the love of his life developed a maj0r case of tittahs.

( And whomever thinks relationship rp is boring , lacks humour and intrest, iz doin wrong!)

Whoa whoa.. I'm not hurt. It's just kind of been done to death from a zillion different angles. IF you actually go through and read the thread from the start.

Emphasis for point. Obviously as Vyn stated, the entire thread was read. He wasn't around back when it was first made and decided to restart the conversation by adding into it.

It's either this or complaining about people making repeat threads. Make up your mind which one you want, folks, or start demanding your moderators lock/delete threads after they drop off the face of the front page and post a sticky declaring what kinds of threads no one is allowed to post anymore because they've been "done all ready".

WE NEED MORE MODERATION GUYS. START RAGING!

Also... for not being hurt or insulted, you sure made it seem like you were really angry about it. I don't recall your name being brought up as an example (currently, anyway... I haven't bothered to reread this whole thing) or criticized, so... if you don't like the thread, why post in it?

I remember (since my alt is on the first page of this thread) there being a HUGE fallout because I misunderstood them to be Yaoi fans. Not being a part of that fandom, I didn't know the difference.

As for thread necromancy, I don't think I have the same views I did when I wrote my posts here. I'd like to think that people grow and their opinions change. Necromancing a thread just rehashes old opinions. In this case it might have been better to just start a new thread and link to the old one.

Edit/Add: I re-read the thread (aww I miss Skafloc so much) and it really wasn't as bad as I remembered it to be.

I remember saying that some of their RP reminded me of some of the 'bishounen' type of animes out there and it was somehow construed that I was calling them anime fantards.

Sorry about that, I'll be sure to compare it to Anne Rice's vampire stories next time.

I'm with Arokai with this one.People will RP whatever they want to RP, and for as long as it doesn't get shoved into your face I'm happy that they are having fun that way.

The more different kinds of RP there are, the more chances of people trying them out and learning about what they want/like or hate/dislike too.

If you have a comunity full of omg loyal soldiers, it gets lame. If you have a comunity full of yay soap opera stuff it gets lame in the same way. Diversity is never a bad thing, for as long as people can be respectful.

If you don't like someone's RP, just don't RP with them. But bashing other's people RP can hurt their RP as much as it will hurt yours.

developed a maj0r case of tittahs.

I thought they were more like an A-sized case of titties, not so much major.

:P

(It was a good diagnosis though, I laughed.)

And holy shit, it smells like thread necromancy.

Certainly diversity is needed for a healthy community, but diversity doesn't mean bad writing.

I'm not pointing fingers (in fact I haven't read a whole lot of bad writing here, but then again I don't read at all a whole lot here) but just in general, there's ALOT of poorly written romantic RP, just like there's ALOT of poorly written novels (romantic or otherwise), and diversity isn't an excuse to have a terrible character/storyline.

That goes for warlike characters too.

It's just that the bad romance RPers tend to be louder.

Yat's just hurt because his RP romance with Keraph ended on a bitter note.

WHEN IN-CHARACTER FEELINGS SPILL OUT INTO OOC IT JUST GETS WIERD BRO

I remember saying that some of their RP reminded me of some of the 'bishounen' type of animes out there and it was somehow construed that I was calling them anime fantards.

Sorry about that, I'll be sure to compare it to Anne Rice's vampire stories next time.

I lol'd true story.