The_Golden_Wolf

Women playing Gay Blood Elf men...WHY?

I'VE HAD THE DREAM SINCE I WAS FIVE.

You always gotta call me out on that, huh?

Like the above poster, in my head I AM A GIANT COW MAN WITH GREEN SWIRLIES ON MY HANDS. Also, it's a much better world in my head...

*nods* People RP the game for a reason. There must be something about being that character that you like or desire otherwise it wouldn't be much fun. >_>

*points at her sadomasochist* See... I WISH I could be sadomasochistic but I'm such a wuss.

I ALSO wish I could seduce people and steal their mana... but... *shrugs* X3

I'VE HAD THE DREAM SINCE I WAS FIVE.

You always gotta call me out on that, huh?

Like the above poster, in my head I AM A GIANT COW MAN WITH GREEN SWIRLIES ON MY HANDS. Also, it's a much better world in my head...

Screw green swirlies, blue sparklies for life.

Edit: Oh wait, moonkin have green swirlies. Carry on, gent.

*nods* People RP the game for a reason. There must be something about being that character that you like or desire otherwise it wouldn't be much fun. >_>

*points at her sadomasochist* See... I WISH I could be sadomasochistic but I'm such a wuss.

I ALSO wish I could seduce people and steal their mana... but... *shrugs* X3

I RP my rogue the way he is because of two things. One, I'm naturally curious, so when my character's idling away, he lets his curiosity run, which is also why he is strangely drawn to cats. I am even considering on writing a story on how he tries to herd cats.

Second reason is because I really like the concept of a high precision weapon in humanoid form, which is why my character's does things the way he is portrayed when he is out trying to kill things. Unfortunately, I can't really go around doing premeditated murder in real life, so my character is a true-blue assassin in-character.

The type of guy who tends to say things like "get back to the kitchen and make me a sandwich" would likely be just as quick to call one of the male raiders gay, or insult one of their mothers, :]

Quit talking about Malakim, he's not here to defend himself!!!;)

If I don't tell them to make me a sandwich then they might think they have a choice in the matter.

besides I am sure there is someone here who will make me a sandwich.

I've been RPing characters online for longer than I really want to admit. I started in AOL chatrooms, specifically "Spacefleet" if I remember it correctly. It was an old, Star Trek-ish themed RP that had some sense of moderation and advancement if your posts were very good to the role you were placed within. Every week I ended up assigned a totally different role than the one before. The change of pace was always interesting.

My first MMO was Ultima Online, and technically, I even RPed religiously on Diablo II. My main focus had always been to create a character that was believable and separate from myself. The first female character I role played online was "Tefaria", an Amazon Hunter from D2. While not the most RP-friendly or encouraging environments that are out there, I managed to find and consistently group together with people who held a desire to RP as well.

I can attest to the suggestion that gamers treat people totally different, based on the gender they believe you are. I started to look more into this idea in those Diablo II days but didn't really get a feel for it until I moved on into Everquest. When I was playing EQ, I had actually created a totally separate ooc identities for myself. I had a male and female character, each presumably played by the gender of the character itself. While I refrained as much as I could from drifting ooc when able, there were times when it was unavoidable.

It took some thought, and creative role playing on the spot, to imagine and assume the role of a modern day (teenage at the time) girl, along with where she'd been, what she knows and what she wants our of 'her' life. Anyhow, picking up on the mannerism differences that I needed to use was the most difficult thing to do first. Generally it was through quietly watching, finding things in common about even what we would consider the simplest things... grammar, punctuation, coherency... even little smiley faces or other emoticons in ooc speaking.

My English courses in High School often involved many writing assignments. I had been in "gifted" or "accelerated" classes since 3rd grade. It was the instructors' job to "think outside the box" and find different ways to teach and present the material they were given. They promoted creativity, generally in the sense of these open ended assignments. High school was a rich source of examples to pull from. It was fairly regular that we wrote short stories to share among our peers - to critique them, make suggestions, and so forth. Being on a physical level, it was very easy to tell who wrote what piece (because they handed it to you) and to notice the styles used among various writers. One of the best things that I have brought out of those particular experiences was the ability to hold believable dialog in my writing.

I focused on my curiousity in EQ during one of the summers along the way. I felt I had a solid feel of what I needed to play a believable female, and spent time back and forth between my male and female toons to see how the world of gamers reacted to them. It did not take long at all to discover that the differences were almost like night and day. Everything from asking for help with a particular quest, needing a few coin to make an expensive purchase or even someone to cast a few beneficial spells on you... all of it varied on who and what they thought you were.

For example, I had at one point, asked the same person for a particular buff (that required a fairly inexpensive reagent) while on my male. He was immediately reluctant to take the time away from whatever he was doing to offer his talents. I had approached him IC, introduced myself, and asked him if he could perform the magics. Eventually he agreed, but not until I had agreed to pay him well over several times the cost of the reagent. Not ten minutes later, I visited him on my little (at the time) Vah Shir Shamaness and asked for the same spell. I changed my approach... less political, much less bargaining... more friendly and a lot less business. It did not take much more than a smile and a brief bit of flirting before he provided me the spell. At no cost. Still curious, I went off and got myself killed and returned to him within another ten minutes, grumbling something about whatever it was that killed me, apologized for bothering him again but asked if I could get another. He did... and again at no cost. I ended up tipping him more than I paid on my male toon after he'd cast the spell.

Later on, I expanded my little 'research project' and tested people's patience. I explained myself as a fairly new player and while I was grouped with them, deliberately made a mistake or two that sometimes, but not always, resulted in a rather catastrophic wipe. Four out of five times, I was just quickly booted after one or two 'mistakes' while on my male toon and only once on the female (and it was explained, almost apologetically, that they really needed to get it done and had a friend who was more experienced offering to help). In any scenario, I apologized for the mistake, asked for a little more explanation on what had to be done and when. Even the explanations themselves varied widely. My male persona was usually given a very cut and dry rundown of the pure basics. My female persona on the other hand, was told about where to stand to avoid certain effects, what spells would probably be best to prepare, etc.

Deliberate Roleplaying, not questing or the like, was a similar experience. No one really ever wanted to come to get to know my male character. No matter how polite or sincere I made him, it was like pulling teeth to actually get involved with people who were already knit into their own groups. It took well over several months of fairly regular grouping with people before I could really RP with them. On the female side of it, I could weasel my way into a niche in less than a week, receive invitations to private events, even get a guild invite if I so wanted one.

Noticing that I wasn't getting -anywhere- on my male, and not wanting to struggle an uphill battle by myself, I eventually abandoned him and focused on my shamaness. I spent more time RPing than I did grouping and had the character enter a sort of relationship with one of the people 'she' regularly spent time with. While 'she' truly desired guy#1, his character was still in mourning for the death of his prior wife and made a promise that he would take no other lover until some task was completed in her memory (one of the epic class quests). While crying and upset, guy#2 sought to comfort her and spent much of his time trying to calm her down. My character made it -very- clear that she was infatuated with guy#1 and did not see #2 the same way. While she would admit that she respects him and appreciated everything that he has done for her, that she just did not think it would work out.

It would be a half of a year before she finally let guy#2 take the place she held for guy#1.

This however, was not the most eye opening example my curiousity was able to find. I had two characters in a yahoo group forum RP that entered at about the same time. A female and a male, each totally different than the other. I kept the same ooc persona for the female and played the male's ooc as my own. I posted regularly to the boards on both characters for several years, always with largely detailed posts. My characters each found their own groups; the male was an exception, he was a half elf druid and kinda an introvert while the female was a brash, quick to temper and action, no-nonsense, no-waiting sort of flame. I played her as a person who lost her home in a siege, vowing that she would not allow it to happen again. In such, she sought audience with the city's leaders and pledge her blade, book and blood to the defense and safeguarding of the city's people. My druid on the other hand, became an adviser to the ruling court and took towards the keeping of the surrounding forest and the natural magics that empowered the city.

I knew the forum's owner on a personal level and over time, we did eventually come into a relationship of our own. One of her characters fell in love with my druid and the pair had a child of their own. The group was active for several years and it wasn't until the group was shutting down that I eventually told her that the other character was also my own. Even though we RPed and spoke nearly every day, she was honestly shocked with the news. To date, none of the other 50 regulars are any the wiser.

I think I'm losing the whole meaning of this post...

In fact... I think I already forgot what the whole thread was about.

Rather than going on with whatever I was ranting with, I'll just throw in my two cents:

- People react to what they see and how they interpret the other person.

- People use the Internet as a way to explore their fantasies through anonymity (heard of Second Life?).

- People use the Internet as a way to explore their fantasies with minimal or no consequence.

- People will often draw conclusions and come to believe what they want to.

- Treatment is not equal between sexes.

- People are gullible.

To date though, I've never RPed a gay or bi male, and very few of the straight guys I know personally have. I believe this is probably due to a sense of homophobia. But... as it's not uncommon knowledge, a lot of guys have fantasies about lesbians *innocent whistle*. I wouldn't at all put it past someone to rp as a girl in order to get a 'closer look'. ;)

On a side note, all of my characters on WoW are straight. Lithia though, is the inexperienced sort who has not had the time or interest to do anything at all, Elek is about as straight as they go, Zancha loves teh cawk *cough*, Chavis is a bull of a tauren who has been baked in the sun a little too long, but at least he loves himself a fine well curved woman. I suppose I should challenge myself into the alternatives and see if I can actually play a believable character. I did play a lesbian in a sci-fi game once, but in my own defense, it was mainly as a desire to ensure that the GM didn't try to set her up with some random male NPC like he had a track record for doing. Oh he tried, and when I told him that my character did NOT react the way he was trying to say, I remember him asking me specifically if she was a lesbian and the look of utter surprise and bewilderment when I told him yes. I don't know how he missed it, slipping in subtle invitations to some of the female npcs, careful touching of the hands and arms in conversation... maybe I did a terrible job at it. :o

I've practiced with another character elsewhere since then, and laughed in reading how absolutely -certain- people talk OOC among one another about how the character is "definitely played by a girl". It's amusing when they IM your male character OOC to tell you this. *snicker* This particular one is bi though... so perhaps the full fledged girls-only RP needs more work.

I try to go about 50/50 on the gender ratio when I play new games. Usually I'll start with a female character (I'll be honest, I like looking at something pretty) and take any help people want to throw at me as I learn my way around.

I just read ALL FUCKING NINE pages of this after clicking on Lisbet's signature. I feel fairly entitled to inculde my own opinion on the matter.

I treat women differently. But only on a personal basis. Seriously, if you suck ass at the game...

I probably won't say anything. I fucking suck at this.

But if you ask for help, I'll let you know what's up, male or female.

Now, when I know someone is a woman IRL, I may give them slightly less, SLIGHLTY less, shit. Just ask Nhal and Annie. And Taldris. Sheeeeeet, no one can escape my wraaaaaath.

Posting on this wouldn't be a problem if, you know, the people who posted after me continued the discussion instead of derailing it into 'ZOMBIE THREAD'

Personally, I read this without knowing who half of the posters were, and so I thought it might be interesting to get the next generation's opinion on something, or see if some of the old timers still felt the same way.

Honestly, this trend is incredibly typical, if not mainstream in current RP. My sister frequently RPs as a male character (not on WoW, but in general, and usually straight as far as I know, though her friends typically err towards the homosexual male character), and there are god knows how many guys playing women, straight or otherwise. It's not a problem as long as they're not trying to purposefully deceive anyone. I remember reading something on WoW.com regarding this matter. I oughta dig it up as well...

I've RPed one female character ever; though I've made more female characters, this was the only one I got past level 10. She was an overweight night elf druid who spent nearly all of her adult life completely naked (but in moonkin form so no one noticed). She spent her free time grooming her feathers for fleas. She was also the investigative journalist who ultimately exposed Fordragon Imports and contributed directly to Irontoe's arrest.

Oh yeah, one thing I neglected in my post above: Sexuality in WoW.

I haven't thought much about it, and when I make a character, I just kinda don't think about it. I have no interest in ARRPEEing sex.

However, I do hope to come across as a convincing woman/girl when I do play, so I kinda watch other people for it.

I've RPed one female character ever; though I've made more female characters, this was the only one I got past level 10. She was an overweight night elf druid who spent nearly all of her adult life completely naked (but in moonkin form so no one noticed). She spent her free time grooming her feathers for fleas. She was also the investigative journalist who ultimately exposed Fordragon Imports and contributed directly to Irontoe's arrest.

Why ya gotta go for the chubbies man?