Syreena

Race Ages?

Actually, from one of the quests, I think even the same one you are talking about, he mentions that they left Argus "10 lifespans ago" which would lead me to believe that the normal lifespan is around 1,000 years, since they have said that they left Argus 10,000 years ago.

Obviously Velen is still around, but it's been indicated that he's the oldest, and not exactly normal, as far as ages go.

It's possible that there are some others that have lived that long (The quote that comes to mind is "Few remember or even know about Argus anymore"), but immortal, I'm pretty sure they're not.

Hm.. I think that I read somewhere that the Exodus from Argus occured 25,000 years ago. Because at 10,000 years ago the Burning Legion was already harassing the elves and blowing up the Well of Eternity.

I'll look around for confirmation.

and to the little boy who say the draenei are demons: Read your Burning Crusade booklet, or view some information on the draenei race online.

As a note, you may want to check the time of posting before speaking in such a way in a sticky topic.

The post you're responding to is from a member that no longer regulars these boards due to RL, and was made well before much official knowledge was available to any of us. Particularly the Burning Crusade booklet, or much of the information on the draenei race online.

As a note, you may want to check the time of posting before speaking in such a way in a sticky topic.

The post you're responding to is from a member that no longer regulars these boards due to RL, and was made well before much official knowledge was available to any of us. Particularly the Burning Crusade booklet, or much of the information on the draenei race online.

Ah yes, I see... I tend to forget the time span in posts... My appologies.

Yes i know this is an old thread but meh.

The dashes for UD are entertaining. Good for Amaurn though he was "Venerable" When he died so now he gets to stay on pause for the next 10,000 years. Unless he dies or wears out of course. But I subscribe to the idea that UD dont decay anymore. The magic keeps them at a constant. Unless the magic can run out though... Hrrrrm got myself thinking about a bunch of random topics now.

I was unaware that anyone knew how old gnomes were normally when they died. I thought they had a tendency to blow themselves up before that happened, and any that did would just be gnomes like "Crazy Ol' Willy."

BUMP for more information on how old Draenei are when they mature into adulthood, so I can make fun of myself!

That is very open to interpretation. In Rise of the Horde, they (Orgrim and Durotan) make mention of seeing no children around the Draenei cities, yet one female that looked to be mature was (by comments of their guide) still a child, and immature to their standards (followed by her shying away and giggling).

Seeing as how many Draenei still remember Argus being destroyed, and their admission that they do not reproduce much, it would be a difficult time period to assess (the change from adolescence to maturity). Velen would be more than ancient (way over 25,000 years old, he was ancient at the time of Argus being destroyed). Others of the original crew still seem to be full of life in their commanding positions.

I'd suggest you just keep it vague. If anyone asks, just say recently. If they make a guess of 5 years, 10 years, 100 years, just laugh and act like they're being absurd (and possibly throw some immaturity in there for good measure :) ). Time to these sort of beings would likely mean little because of their crazy long lives. Their only focus is survival, learning and preservation.

That is very open to interpretation. In Rise of the Horde, they (Orgrim and Durotan) make mention of seeing no children around the Draenei cities, yet one female that looked to be mature was (by comments of their guide) still a child, and immature to their standards (followed by her shying away and giggling).

Seeing as how many Draenei still remember Argus being destroyed, and their admission that they do not reproduce much, it would be a difficult time period to assess (the change from adolescence to maturity). Velen would be more than ancient (way over 25,000 years old, he was ancient at the time of Argus being destroyed). Others of the original crew still seem to be full of life in their commanding positions.

I'd suggest you just keep it vague. If anyone asks, just say recently. If they make a guess of 5 years, 10 years, 100 years, just laugh and act like they're being absurd (and possibly throw some immaturity in there for good measure :) ). Time to these sort of beings would likely mean little because of their crazy long lives. Their only focus is survival, learning and preservation.

Thats just the thing, None of my Draenei have any kind of history (Alishondra knows that she's fairly young and raised through her "younger childhood years" by a Broken, but other then that? Nope) because of the turmoil the Draenei faced the last 30 years or so..

Lisbet litterly has no idea how old she is, only that she was forced to be an adult way sooner then she should have been. I put her as the human standard of late teens, early twenties, but if the race itself lives very long, would that be to young to be in an adult relationship, and if so, would Heidenreich be considered a pedo? ;p

I put her as the human standard of late teens, early twenties, but if the race itself lives very long, would that be to young to be in an adult relationship, and if so, would Heidenreich be considered a pedo? ;p

Probably. :D

From what I gathered in reading, the Draenei had been on Draenor for 200 years, where little changed for them. There isn't much talk of how a Draenei would age, when they would mature, etc. I would think, though, that a being that could live for 25,000 years might physically mature quick, but by what standards? 20 years out of 25,000 is like being a newborn to a human. Perhaps Draenei reach their mature physique early but because of tradition do not learn all of their nuances at that stage and stay adolescent for a very long time? Do they need certain training / education? Who knows.

In my uneducated opinion, I would say 20 years would be far too young. At 20 years, your priest was just a few years old (at the most) at the first forming of the Horde and the eradication of the Draenei populace. Many children were left behind at Shattrath to try and appease the orc Horde into thinking they had killed everyone while a handful left with Velen into Zangarmarsh, and ultimately, the Exodar.

Maybe a hundred or two hundred years old would be OK and the 'teen' would begin their journey into adulthood. I'd still say keep it vague and Azeroth time means little to you at this point other than keeping track at the starting point that the Draenei first crashed, and just play on the naivity that such a mindset would have. Almost like a college chick, but smarter and with some more morals. ;)

Brevus, I really like your input so far on the draenei. Their world is so vague but at least your reasoning seems sound and based on good information. My own character's past is fairly unwritten atm (or more accurately in the process of many rewrites) but mostly resembles what Lisbet has said for her own, so I'm glad to read this convo so far as it seems to apply to me.

I'm really interested in death priests and the timeline of events involving the auchindoun right now, but not finding much on it either. The "know your lore" article on it was informative but still had nothing for how long ago these things happened. The draenei were only on Draenor for 200 years? Seems like so much happened for such a short period of time there, especially as far as civilization and construction is concerned.

Draenor's year was shorter then Azeroth's year, by about 120 days actually..

Also I think I need to kill this Kyo fellow... Such an upstart.

Draenor's year was shorter then Azeroth's year, by about 120 days actually..

Well, that just complicates things even more, huh? It's details like that which will throw a person like me out of whack. I absolutely have to have a timespan of some sort in order to figure out a character's history.

Additionally, I have heard multiple accounts of how long the Draenei stayed on Draenor. The numbers ranged from about 200 to 1200 years. I personally just put the arrival of the Draenei at about 1000 years and went from there with Ignas' back story. If a person asks, Ignas could not say exactly how old he is, but he could say that he is older than many mortals on Azeroth. But hey, I could be wrong. If I am, then I will make the appropriate changes.

I don't know where the difference in Azeroth vs Draenor years come in (source? Don't recall reading that anywhere, unless it was in WC3 which I did not finish).

I do know that in Rise of the Horde, the Draenei state that they were there for 200 years at the time the orcs descended upon them. Seeing as how there has been, what, 15 years from orcs first invading Azeroth to actual WoW time, they'd have been there for ~215 years start to finish.

I first noticed the discrepency when "The Dark Portal" expansion hit, and "The Aftermath of the Second War" as told by Ner'zhul was written. I know there'd been discrepencies before *e.g., Garona* but for the orcs to have been fighting the first and Second War for 20 years, and then to come back, where the Draenor orcs said they'd been gone for thirty, that was odd.

So I did the math, and the only plausible thing, barring PIME TARADOX, was that Draenor's orbital revolution was different than Azeroths, and seeing that these are two different plants in different star systems assumingly, it's not that hard of a thing to swallow.

Actually, from one of the quests, I think even the same one you are talking about, he mentions that they left Argus "10 lifespans ago" which would lead me to believe that the normal lifespan is around 1,000 years, since they have said that they left Argus 10,000 years ago.

Obviously Velen is still around, but it's been indicated that he's the oldest, and not exactly normal, as far as ages go.

It's possible that there are some others that have lived that long (The quote that comes to mind is "Few remember or even know about Argus anymore"), but immortal, I'm pretty sure they're not.

I was thinking a lot of this today. We have one draenei who hints at a 2500 year lifetime, but possibly many who have lived since the Argus escape (2 for sure in game).

Do we suppose that the naaru arbitrarily handed out immortality to a select few? Or perhaps they blessed the entire race to help their struggling numbers? I wouldn't consider the later hard to believe, especially since we know birth and death are so rare among them (when they are not outright killed).

I guess in my mind I don't really see a necessary contradiction between what you and Kyo referenced. Or maybe there is and I'm just trying to put them together.

I found this information on Draenei just floating around the interwebs. It seems reliable to me, but I will let others decide that since I am not a big lore buff. Also, I know it states far more than just the possible time line and ages of Draenei, but I think quite a bit of it is relevant to those that may not know enough about Draenei or may need some questions answered. I won't swear by it, but I think it helps those looking for that little piece of info that they just aren't sure about. :)

i like that page, even been using it as a quick reference. There are a few little things I see as being off, but ya, good find.

Draenei, live by average 2500 years. A Draenei NPC states that they have been fleeing the Burning Legion for "ten lifetimes," so we know for sure that draenei lifespan is around that number since they have fled from Argus 25000 years ago. Most draenei, when asked how old they are, simply respond with "Very." Note: Prophet Velen is a special case - he is immortal.