Syreena

A Rogue's Diary

((Making D “hate her” makes it sound like there is some sort of reciprocation. D doesn't want any type of romantic or sexual relationship and has made that clear on more then one occasion. The girl needs to build a bridge!))

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The Mistress called me and Cessily to her, and she had a whip. She made Cessily deliver the punishment that the Irredeemables seemed to have forgotten about. Stupid Cessily hesitated and didn't want to do it. She dared to tell the Mistress what she should and shouldn't do.

Briefly, I considered Sammuel's suggestion that I fight to escape the lashes. I had no doubt I could take down Cessily, but then what? Attack the Mistress? Run away and not be able to show my face again to Grims out of shame?

Finally, when I was ready for it, there was no strength behind the blows. I yelled at Cessily to stop embarrassing me, and finally, she did what she was ordered to do. Later, I made her get me a new shirt to replace the one she shredded with the whip.

When it was done, Cessily was dismissed, and Mistress put some salve and bandages on my back. She said if I can't figure out how to fix Cessily, that I could throw her away.

I went to my tent in Shattrath when I was dismissed. Anaie showed up later, and she had some drinks with her. I don't even remember what kind. I drank fast. The world was blurry and spinning, but I didn't care. We went looking for some gnomes to eat, so we decided to go to Ironforge.

Aquizit met us in the tram tunnel and we summoned in some other Grims. I don't remember much about that trip. I remember we went to the forge and got surrounded by Alliance. That's about all I remember.

So busy lately!

I've still been stalking Aleister whenever I have a few spare minutes. Sometimes I let him see me, with my swords in hand, dripping with poison. I still have many, many plans for him!

The Mistress is no longer the Mistress. I think that's good. She has not been herself for a while now. I think she is lonely. I heard her talking to Anaie a couple days ago about family and sisters, and she asked Anaie about finding me after being separated for so long, and she sounded lonely, like she missed someone. Maybe she misses Sammuel. I haven't seen him in a while. I wonder what Sammuel will think about her not being Mistress anymore.

Now Mr. Brig is the Artif...Artist? Art-something. I don't remember what he calls himself now. I think it's a silly title and not scary at all for the leader of The Grim, but it's just a title. I wonder if he'll let all the prissy elves keep acting silly and petty. I hope not.

Yichi left. He had to go on a spirit hunt. Many of Grims are special to me for different reasons. Yichi was the big brother I could always tell secrets to, or ask questions when I was confused about anything, or ask for advice. He's very smart. I hope he comes back soon.

Malethia threatened Cessily the other day over the hearthstone for everyone to hear. Stupid elves. I don't really care much if something happens to Cessily, but I'm not going to stand by and let someone act like that to one of the rogues. I told Malethia that if she went after Cessily, then we would have a problem. Mr. Brig kind of told Malethia to back off.

Then Cessily told me privately that she wouldn't have fought back. Weak. I don't know what they were arguing about in the first place. They're elves. Probably fighting over something like which wine was best to serve at different types of parties or something silly like that. For such an ancient race, you'd think they'd be more....something. I don't know what.

I wonder if Aleister found her yet, or if the wolves ate her all up.

I saw him with his little troll girl yesterday. He was teaching her how to pick pockets, right there in the Lower City. Every evening, I see the girl going out into the forest. I followed her once and watched her pick herbs. His little prize had to earn her keep!

Last night, I waited for her in the forest, just outside the tunnel she always used. Peacekeepers patrol the road there, but she didn't seem any more eager than I was to have their attention. They're easy enough to avoid.

I left her there, lying on the ground. She stared up at the treetops with a look of surprise still on her face. Her own blood pooled around her neck and head and coated her silver-gold hair, and the red slit across her throat looked bright against the pale blue of her skin.

I know what her life would have been like as the old man's little prize.

I did her a favor.

I left a gift outside Aleister's tent this morning. I waited, unseen, until I saw him open it up. First his shoulders sagged, then he got mad. His empty hand clenched into a fist as he stared at the little blue hand he held. Then he looked around like he expected his prize's killer to still be there, though the blood was already all dried up on the troll's wrist.

I didn't want to disappoint him, so I came out from my hiding place and walked away. I know he saw me. He started yelling loud threats, and he chased me. He had a little knife in his hand now that almost made me laugh. Then I heard Peacekeepers yelling at him.

I hid again and watched. The Peacekeepers dragged him away, little blue hand and all.

Peacekeepers stopped me near the flight master last night. There were four of them. They led me away and questioned me about Aleister and the troll girl.

I weighed my options, but I decided to go along with them rather than become unable to show myself again in the city. If they were anything like the law enforcement men I dealt with in life, they'd be easy enough to fool.

"Are you Syreena of The Grim?"

"No, Syreena's my sistah."

"Do you know know a man named Aleister?"

"Not personal. My sistah knew 'im a long time ago, I think."

They asked about my sister of course.

"Her name is Syreena. She left late last night to go back to Azeroth. Ah think she said she was 'eaded fer Booty Bay. She seemed ta be in a hurry and didn't have much time ta talk."

They asked me my name, and I told them Anaie. I hope I don't get Anaie in trouble with them, but she didn't do anything to Aleister, so she should be safe. They asked me more questions about Aleister, the troll girl, my relationship with Aleister, but I pretended I didn't know anything.

They asked the same questions over and over again in different ways, like trying to trick me into telling them something. Finally, after a couple hours, they let me go with instructions that I should notify one of them when my sister returns to Shattrath.

We killed trolls in Zul'Aman last night. We'll kill someone else tonight. It seems there is always killing to be done.

I wonder what I would do if someday all these wars are over and there is nobody left who needs to be killed. No Alliance, no scourge, no demons, no naga, no corrupted dragons, no traitorous blood elves. What would I do then?

Skumm, no--Atticuss--said he wants to be a farmer. I almost laughed at him at first. I thought he was joking. He's a killer, not a farmer. Farmers make things grow and live. Rogues like us take life, not grow it. Forsaken rogues, like me and Skumm don't even have our own life within us anymore.

I can't imagine existing without wars to fight. What would people do? Just grow their farms, and tend their cows and chickens, and sit in their safe little houses all day? Maybe fish or make things, and run their little shops to sell their goods. I guess I could learn new potions and have a potion shop. I don't think that would be very much fun though, sitting in the same shop in the same town, all day every day.

I'm not going to worry about that now. For now, there is always killing to be done.

Sometimes I think I should be two people instead of just one.

There are no rogues of Lore. Rogues are for killing, not lore keeping or story telling or party planning.

I know the rogues of Ruin well. I fight alongside them in the deep dark places of the world and observe them. They talk to me about armor and weapons and killing techniques.

But I feel distanced from the rogues of Vengeance. At least I know they are working with Drinn and Atticuss.

Sometimes I envy them.

I miss the bloody glory of the battlegrounds, the value of being sneaky and patient, the feeling of anticipation just before I jump an unsuspecting human or other Alliance, the excitement that fills me at the sound of the battle horns.

I miss having the freedom and time to invade towns, or stalk Alliance through Outland, or patrol areas like Stranglethorn to protect the younger Horde.

I miss being an assassin rather than a soldier.

And yet, I do not regret my decision to fight with the Grims of Ruin in the deep dark places against giant monsters and powerful evil people.

This separation is only natural, I suppose. It's more efficient to focus on one front than several. Where once all the Grims fought together, there are now enough fighters to split up and specialize on separate enemies. It seems to be working. Both those of Vengeance and of Ruin are seeing progress, more so than when we all fought together.

But still, sometimes I wish I could be two people instead of one.

((If this is true of both player and character then I'll say this - Syreena, there are semi-premades happening almost every night now, and I'd love it if you could join us every now and then. You've got to keep those swords sharp, Dreadweaver.))

Me and Nymph fought in the arena a few times.

First, we fought a druid and warrior. I saw the druid try to sneak past me so I hit her. Nymph soon joined in, and we beat her fast. The warrior seemed to have lost control of his horse. He just kept riding around in circles, and then his crazy horse kept trying to run into the big stone thing in the middle of the ruins. Finally, the warrior fell off his horse and passed out. Maybe he was drunk?

Next, we fought a priest and hunter. We pretty much ignored the hunter and his cat at first. The priest didn't have a chance. Like the druid, she kept trying to heal, but I didn't let her, and she fell very fast. Then we fought the hunter. He tried to scare Nymph away, but I kicked him hard. He and his cat put up a good fight, but we beat him.

Last, we came up against a warrior and paladin. There's not much to tell about this fight. It was over fast. The arena floor tastes very gritty.

We'll fight some more tonight probably.

I don't think of him often. I'm usually too busy to spend much time thinking about the past. Besides, what was it Muatah told me once? We were in Azshara, swimming out to an island to talk to the water elemental lords. I remember that, but I can't remember his exact words. Something about not wasting time wishing for the past.

But sometimes, I think of him. Though I know it's wrong, sometimes I wish he was still here. I miss him. I wonder if he would still be here if I had said yes. I don't regret that decision though. Nothing would ever be more important to me than The Grim. He understood that, and accepted it, just as I understood and accepted that he could never be a follower under anyone's banner but his own. But I still miss him.

It's Lunar Festival time again. Grims will fight Omen this week. The first time I went with the Grims to that battle, I was not strong enough to be there. I was there anyway. I fell with each explosion of star shards, but I kept getting up again, thrilled to even pretend to be part of a battle alongside Grims. Last year was much different. This year will be just like last year, I expect.

I should visit the Elders and collect my coins. Every time I think about it though, I remember sneaking through Ironforge last year to collect coins, and running through the Stormwind park. With him. We collected our coins together and toyed with Alliance, and then went to Moonglade to spend them and harrass the Alliance some more.

Maybe I'll collect my coins tonight. More likely, I'll just slaughter some more elves for the Scryers.

I miss you.

My tent is filled with leather balls. Deathshadow threw them all at Coyotl and Guduk, so they sent them to me. It's funny, but what will I do with them all?

I gave some to the orphan kids next door.

I threw a few at Fhenrir, but I don't think he noticed. He looked like he was daydreaming like he often looks when he sits there at the edge of the Scryer Tier.

I took a bunch with me to the tower last night and threw them at people.

Maybe I will just sit outside my tent and throw them at everyone who passes by.

Grog sent me candy shaped like little hearts.

Me and Guduk went to the arena last night. I was tired. People who fight in the arena are much harder to beat than people I fight out in the open. I don't know why. We need to practice more.

Maurt is nice to me. He gives me herbs sometimes, and he always talks nice to me, and he apologizes to me when I get hurt in battle even though it's not his fault.

Greebo has a pretty purple dress. It's not as pretty as Lupen's pink one, but it's still pretty.

I wonder where Lupen went. I wonder if he'd be jealous of Greebo's pretty purple dress. I bet he would give Maurt dirty looks when he whispers to me.

::A letter from Qabian is tucked in the book in front of this page::

Sometimes I wonder why Lascivious made me a Dreadweaver. I never minded it before, because the rogues were always easy to deal with. It has mostly been an easy job. All the rogues have most always been friends with each other, except Abric, but I don't think he's friends with anyone. None of them caused too much trouble that I had to deal with. We've always behaved according to the Mandate or were smart enough to not get caught.

Except Cessily. She is nothing but trouble. She has never been anything but trouble. It's a shame. She has the skill to be a good killer for The Grim. But in all this time, she still hasn't learned to control her tongue as well as she controls her blades. It's almost like she doesn't want to be a Grim. Or maybe it's just not in her to be one of us.

I am so tired of hearing complaints about her. I am tired of having to worry what to do with her. If Lascivious were still Mistress, I'm sure I'd get another whipping over it, or worse.

I also wonder, is this Cessily's failure or mine? If I was meaner or bossier with the rogues, would I have been able to make Cessily be a better Grim?

If I was a better leader, maybe I would know what to do about her now.

Greebo has a pretty purple dress. It's not as pretty as Lupen's pink one, but it's still pretty.

(( it was a sad day for me when I shrugged off my rich ecclesiastical gown and donned the same tired frost cloth as the rest of the dreadmages - purple really brings out the scars ))

Last night, we went to Tempest Keep. It was fun to kill blood elves. We killed some dragonhawks too and robots. There was a bright colorful bird flying around one room. As we walked past it, I said "Pretty birdie." Someone, I think it was one of the elves, went on about how it's not a birdie, but a phoenix and blah blah blah. Then Kelven agreed and said to be more precise, it's a fire birdie. Kelven is now on the list of elves I like.

I pulled Coy's tail last night. Anaie always does it, but she wasn't with us last night, so I did it. And then I ran away and hid behind Muatah. Coy yelled "Damn twins!" I think pulling his tail has become our good luck thing to do now. I will make sure to always do it when Anaie's not there.

I like Malstrom. He makes the wind help us fight faster when Hektar isn't there and he helps keep us alive. Sometimes he teases us and says we don't need the power of the wind tonight, right? I never worry too much about staying alive when he's nearby.