Sign in to follow this  
Xaraphyne

Server merge speculation

Xaraphyne    68

Per one of the latest Blizzard Q&As, more realms getting connected (what we commonly refer to as 'merge' though that's technically incorrect as we still have our own realms, -TwistingNether or -Ravenholdt) is imminent. Source:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/7036-Developer-Q-A-with-Ion-Hazzikostas

I'm beyond doubt that TNRH is going to see another connection happen. Our population is simply to low for it to not. It's just about as much of a ghost town as it was at the end of Mists of Pandaria, right before TN got merged with Ravenholdt. It's harder to notice because we see so many cross-realm people running around, but if you go to Orgrimmar, which isn't cross-realmed, it's practically empty even during prime hours.

There are pretty much two options: one, we get connected to the other RP-PvP cluster, Lightninghoof/Maelstrom/VentureCo. They are similar to us in overall population. The other is that all three RP-PvP worlds gets merged together, so TNRH, LHMSVC, and Emerald Dream all become one world.

There are several factors we can imagine Blizzard is weighing. One is overall population. Us combined with the other cluster would still just be a percentage of ED's population, since that server is so big. It could be that Blizz decides we're unsustainable separate from ED and melds us all into one last bastion of PvP RP. The other consideration might be the appearance. Admitting they can only justify one RP-PvP server, effectively, would be admitting they had lost maybe 5/6ths of RP-PvPers (depending on original populations of the 6 servers). Of course RP-PvP was what, the least popular type of realm to begin with, but still: going down to one just looks bad.

I'm personally giving it a 55/45 odds of us just getting merged with LHMSVC vs. us getting merged with them and also ED. Maybe that's hopeful thinking, though -- we all know ED is known for its griefers, and very large non-RP population. In any case, we can expect the merge to happen a few months before the release of the next expansion... which isn't that far off.

Qabian    74

I assumed merging 5 servers would be ridiculously unwieldy, but apparently they already did it a whole bunch and I just never bothered to notice before, so... bring it on. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I'd prefer to at least have two RP-PvP server options just for the sake of choice, and the logical consequence of that would be ED vs all the others.

But suddenly becoming an actually large-sized server with the addition of ED as well could have some interesting effects. Although I don't know that ED's small enough that they'd honestly consider adding any amount to it at all, unless they're planning on very dramatically reducing the total number of separate servers.

Based on realmpop, the 5 not-ED realms combined would have about 400k population. ED on its own has 672k. If they merged all 6 of us, we'd be bigger than the current highest pop server, not by too too much, but those guys do run into character creation restrictions at peak time, so I don't think they'd be up for that unless they're making other really big changes at the same time.

Edited by Qabian

Xaraphyne    68

Man, I really doubt any lobbying is required at this point. It's unlikely not to happen given how low activity is. If they say they're looking at servers to merge, we are assuredly on the list.