Shizari

Community Outreach

Hello everyone! Dusting off my TNG account here XD; I'm Shizari, for those that don't know, leader of the Night Vanguard guild on the Alliance side.

And it's becoming quite clear I have no idea what I'm doing XD;

As such, I'm finally making an open outreach to the community in full force. I wanna know what I can do to help make an impact and get involved in the community, as well as help my members feel like they aren't wasting their time being a part of my guild.

I've thought of making open-to-all events during the guild's Sunday RP Night. I believe this is a good step forward.

But I've never run a guild before, so... XD;

I'll be taking all comments, suggestions, and whatnot that come my way. Help me help you help everyone!

I don't really have any advice or anything as I also have no idea what I'm doing and just make it up as I go.

But in the interest of things, when scheduling stars align, I'm always happy to see and go to open RP events when I can!

Hosting of public events is a good start. Can be something like holiday parties onwards up to the introduction of a story plot that multiple people can get involved in if they choose to.

Other than that, I'd say as a guild leader, you just need to have rules that make sense for everyone and enforce them accordingly and consistently. Don't be a tyrant and don't be manipulative, but don't let things slide because you're afraid of losing people. There may be divas who think that they can shove their weight around who might threaten to flounce if they face consequences for behaving badly, but ultimately the majority of people, especially roleplayers, respect and flock to places where they know leadership is understanding and patient, but also not afraid to put their foot down if need be.

I also find that having a mix of activities is beneficial over just strictly being an RP guild. Guilds should be little mini-communities where members help each other out and aren't afraid to ask for help with things, be it a quest, dungeon group, pvp matters, or just needing to talk to someone if they're not feeling 100% good.

Up to you on if you choose to go hardcore RP and demand that gchat and public channels are RP only, but if you're hoping to attract people, new and inexperienced people might find that a bit overwhelming to have to switch to an OOC chat channel to ask a question or ask for assistance, but that's entirely on a perosn-by-person basis, so I can't say definitely what you should do with that.

But, in essence... create the foundation and a welcoming environment, and people will generally congregate to it. It may take some time, and you may hit some bumps along the way, but persistence and consistency ultimately pay off.

• Like 1

In my guild I am generally a crazy tyrant.  I have no members.  Yet I have tons of fun.  Any people who even attempt to join I screen so thoroughly that they have zero chance of getting in.  This makes for a very interesting play style.  You end up creating alts and playing with them.  Before you know it you have 12 alts and a darn good time!  Course, it's VERY difficult to raid with 12 alts.  I only have one monitor and one keyboard.  Instead I sit with my alts in the same place and have friendly banter.  What your guild chooses to do is up to you.  My guild generally tries to overthrow tyranny and evil and promote health, peace, prosperity, and happiness to all those who deserve it.  Good luck!

21 hours ago, Aethere said:

In my guild I am generally a crazy tyrant.  I have no members.  Yet I have tons of fun.  Any people who even attempt to join I screen so thoroughly that they have zero chance of getting in.  This makes for a very interesting play style.  You end up creating alts and playing with them.  Before you know it you have 12 alts and a darn good time!  Course, it's VERY difficult to raid with 12 alts.  I only have one monitor and one keyboard.  Instead I sit with my alts in the same place and have friendly banter.  What your guild chooses to do is up to you.  My guild generally tries to overthrow tyranny and evil and promote health, peace, prosperity, and happiness to all those who deserve it.  Good luck!

.....#Trolling?

On 6/23/2017 at 4:45 AM, Aethere said:

Haven't seen you chatting with the NPCs in the enchanting shop lately.