Xaraphyne

Your Character Chart

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

There was a discussion at TNG Con about the kinds of characters you play. Although at the time my position was that everyone has a spectrum of personality that they're able to roleplay within, after reflecting on it awhile, I realized that a simple bipolar spectrum wouldn't really encompass, at least for me, the range of characters I play. So I had the idea that there are certain traits I'm capable of portraying in my characters, and that the end result for each character would look like like a unique radar map of those traits. And then it occurred to me that this could be a really fun exercise for everyone to partake in!

So if you buy into this theory, what are the major traits that you're able to portray in your characters, and where does each character fall on that chart?

I decided to go with five traits, with a value of 0-5 in each trait (half values accepted). It was fun figuring out what five traits could encompass all my characters and where each character registers on each axis. Here is the result!

character_spectrum.png

Make your own graph here! https://www.onlinecharttool.com/graph?selected_graph=radar

Helpful things to keep in mind:

• None of the traits need to be opposites of each other. Just because you can play a masochistic character doesn't mean you can play a sadistic one.
  • Pick traits that describe a character's nature, not hobbies or skills.
  • Not all of your characters need to share all the traits. Some can have negligible values in some of the traits.
  • On the chart maker, "items" should be traits, and each "group" should be a character. Change "Show Labels" to "No" to get rid of the number boxes.
  • Values of 0 don't show up very well. If you have to use them, try rearranging the axes to something that shows your values clearly.
Edited by Xaraphyne

What was the statistical inventory you used to get values to feed to the graph?

Character Traits.png

1 person likes this

"Prideful" is more like "elitist" for Zuffid, and I couldn't work in Fhen's significant anger issues (because none of the others really deal with anger). It's an excellent thought exercise to see how your characters compare and contrast.

Spectrum.png