Sign in to follow this  
Aruku

Wild Foraged Foods!

Aruku    17

Since spring's come around these parts, I figured I should kick off some interesting foraged food stuff! Feel free to post stuff you've tried or done too.

This spring, I decided to try something I was too late to try making last year: Wild Garlic Mustard Pesto
I used the recipe above as a base to start at, but found it to be too salty so reduced the salt to 3/4 tsp instead of 1 tsp. I choose to add the optional ramps, as they're in season as well right now. Had several people try it after it was made and everyone quite liked it, even the picky people! All you can really taste is a pleasant garlicky-ness, but with all the wild greens it has a nutritious punch. We also found that you -can- have too much pesto on your pasta and get overwhelmed by it, so go light if you try it too!

Tonight, I put it on as a spread for my fish sammich, along with a few leaves of just picked dandelion greens and a sprinkling of redbud flowers (the pink things). It was pretty decent, but I think it'd go better with another meat besides white fish. The cup in the picture has deadnettle and ground ivy with honey tea. It's a light tea, similar to camomile.

I'll be posting other things as they spring up. :)

20170423_200653.jpg

• Like 2

Nikaa    24

I remember last year you were doing the bug recipes. You REALLY need to be doing a food blog because your photos, presentation and ideas are outstanding. Frankly, you should consider doing a cookbook also. But definitely blog.

Aruku    17

<.< >.> Do food blogs pay? (I'd need a better camera, I know my camera phone just isn't up to it XD)

Nikaa    24

There are ways to monetize your blog, yes. There are a lot of articles and youtube videos how to do this. Here are a couple. Also, most bloggers these days use their phones! No professional camera needed. There are articles on how to edit your cellphone photos also. 

https://startbloggingonline.com/how-can-i-monetize-my-blog/

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/good-pictures-phone-tips#sm.00001hoadd2l4we1zpplu26dgxfln