Kerala    59

Dear RP community,

Role-playing has its ups and downs. We're kind of down right now. I'd like to change that, but I am only one person with only one opinion and perspective on things. I'd like to broaden that view by asking for your help. 

In all of your specific experiences, what things, if any, can you identify as problems? I'm asking in the current sense. If you have chosen not to roleplay, why?  

Did you have to make a choice between RP and another aspect of the game, such as PvE/PvP or a grind for gear/rep/quest chain? If time is a factor please specify why if you can. Im looking for whether it's a real life obligation limiting overall playtime, event scheduling conflicts with other obligations like raiding or RBGs, etc.

If there just isn't anything going on that interests you,  it would be helpful to know those qualifications. Do you just not enjoy random tavern RP? Did you dislike something about an epic community-wide plot? If there are specific people or groups that put you off, what is it about them that rubs you the wrong way? Im looking for specific details if possible but without flaming. The purpose is not to sling dirt and call names, but to pinpoint problems so that thought can be dedicated as to how to fix them. If you are not sure how to express yourself in a kind and constructive way or without naming names, send me your rant in a private message, and I can paraphrase here for you, or I can nor post if you prefer and simply add it privately to my considerations if you like.  I want open communication, even from you quiet ones. And if it is about me I want to know that too! 

I want to know what YOU think, not what you think about what someone else thinks. You are free to use any post prior to yours as a springboard for your own thoughts but please keep them aimed as answers to this initial query rather than offense/defense toward the comments of others.

What do you see as wrong with our community,  server,  RP scene,  whatever? What do you not want? 

(Alternatively, if you see no problems and are completely happy with everything as it is now, I would like to hear from you too! However, I ask that you also send your thoughts to me in the form of private message. This thread is specifically made to be a place to safely vent frustrations for the purpose of improvement.)

Xaraphyne    68

I've been on TN since the beginning of BC, and while I quit mid-Cata and didn't come back till the end of Pandaria, my impression is that not a lot happened during that time other than the general decline continuing. So if that's more or less true, I've observed this community at its highs and lows, from the often-nostalgiad days of BC and Wrath through the decline to the server merger revival and to present day. My observations are generally thus:

We've all gotten older, and our lives have changed. The vast majority of the community is mid-twenties at minimum and the average age probably skews closer to thirty. We've settled into real jobs and started families. We've found meaning in things outside of the game. Members of the community have even passed away. Time, with the march of life and the inevitable changes it brings, takes its toll on any community, and WoW is an aging game that doesn't bring in new blood very much anymore.

That said, for those of us that continue to stick around, we've found that nothing can really replace this community. We have roots up to ten years deep and have made lifelong friends and found life partners here. Just in the past three years since I've been back I've made really good friends (you know who you are, ilu) and been a part of some really amazing experiences. We're all growing older, but we're growing older with each other.

Still, it's hard not to look back on other times and miss them. Miss faces we'll never see again, if not for one reason then another. Miss a time when something seemed possible that doesn't anymore. Miss a time before something came to light that can never be shrouded in ignorance again. That's part of growing up and growing older. Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone, and then, well, of course, it's gone and you're stuck missing it.

Of course I miss the heady days of Eclipse when I spent 10 hours a day for three months writing, roleplaying, or chatting with people in the plot, basking in the new, exciting glow of inclusivity and togetherness and optimism that the server merger had brought us and which Eclipse ended up being perfectly timed to take advantage of. But that was never sustainable. The glow of the new community carried us for awhile after that, especially as a number of new or returning members kept trickling in. But eventually the shine wore off. It had to. Petty squabbles broke out, people got tired, and logging in just wasn't novel enough to keep inspiring that level of interest, and generating that energy. We weren't new, exciting people to each other anymore. We were just... the people we'd already gotten to know. And the same thing has happened with the launch of Legion. After the initial burst of excitement, we've settled into the community we're going to have, again.

What can we do to recapture that feeling? Honestly, I'm not sure it's possible. That's what novelty is: something that can't be brought back. But in its place we have other things. Deep friendships. Shared experiences. Maybe we're sick of some things about each other, but other things we've become quite used to and comfortable around.

Another server merge wouldn't be the worst thing. I'm not sure I can imagine it being as perfect as the first one was, though. What could compare? :)

But I'm tending to the garden that I have. It may not be as exotic to me anymore. It may be harder to find the time to water. But to extend this rather pained metaphor, it's still nourishing to me. 

• Like 2

Awatu    15

Xara is pretty spot-on, but an additional note should be made in game terms. Warlords saw a low point in the game that had not existed previously. However, many of us stuck through it due to friendships and guild/community-driven activities. This also saw a renaissance of user-created events and stories that Cataclysm and Mists lacked. There was so little content within the game that the community collectively made its own content. The story of Warlords was not particularly compelling, so I find myself recognizing Warlords as the time all of our stories took place.

Legion has, in turn, presented us with a plethora of content to keep us busy alongside a rather robust storyline. I know many folks who spend excess game time doing world quests, doing Mythic+ content, and grinding PvP content alongside events like raids (which are amazing) and rich questlines. There is a lot going on, and time that may have once been spent on RP is now being spent on progressing characters in other ways.

Also, babies. We've taken on a lot of babies.

I think using the term "fixing it" is a bit of an unnecessary term. I don't believe it to be broken. Just different. The community still exists and is largely the same, just with priorities and efforts being shifted more across the game than in the specific area of PvP. That being said, it never hurts for more RP, and a mid-sized story or one-shot here and there is enough to stem the tide of RP woes. So, I would say continue to RP and drag folks into little this-n-thats as time allows.

Ul-Rezaj    15

The community is too small. It's not an RP exclusive problem. Without new blood, all aspects of the game (RP/PVP/PVE) are gradually withering on the TN-RH server. Most people have formed into cliques even within their own guilds, creating sub-guilds within guilds—united only by a guild tag and the vague notion of more general RP someday. Personally, I have no problem with this.

When I came to Twisting Nether, my sole intent was to find an RPPVP guild. I wanted to do light RP for the sense of having a character that felt like it belonged in the Warcraft universe, but I also wanted to PVP. The Grim satisfied these goals perfectly. However, in this current expansion, I am finding it increasingly more difficult to engage in RP and PVP.

In PVP, I cannot find a healer anywhere for 3s—a testament to how small the server is; in RP, no one has come along who aligned their character for the purpose of fighting regularly. Typically, what I am looking for in a healer is a drive to (potentially massively) improve, and then boast (or casually display) their skill during Grim RP or RPPVP. Oftentimes, players show up, do their introductory RP, then disappear into thin air. If RP is broken at all, it's at this point: why join an RPPVP guild if you do not intend to compete?

Aruku    17

Others have already put it pretty well - there's a lot of competition from the game itself for people's time. I myself find much is just  limited time from life/work, trying to fit in M+'s, a raid night with horde and ally, and trying to keep up with Emissary quests that doesn't leave a lot of time for RP, and sometimes comes in direct conflict with RP. And as was stated above, it is a small pool of people without much new blood coming in. Being from off-server myself, I can only ever participate if someone invites me to a group and pulls me to your server, so I miss out on any walk-up RP that might be out there. But I've noticed at the events I've gone to, it's almost always the same handful of people.

I do enjoy longer story arcs and slowly delving into other people's characters, as much as the occasional one-shot bar nights. Both have their perks. But with such a small pool, you eventually will run out of new characters to meet, and will eventually exhaust most interactions that can be had with ones you've met. I don't know there is a 'fix' for what's going on. Your server will probably follow the path that my server has already gone down - simply dwindling away till there's only a group or two of old school RPers left, probably on hordeside, to linger on. They'll show up to events, do PVE/PVP and that's about it. The ones who can't stand it being like that (or have made connections elsewhere) will have transferred servers to greener pastures.

It's a rather depressing end.

That said, try not to get too depressed thinking about it. I enjoy my time with you all, and know there's plenty of interesting things to RP out still.

Syreena    56

In all of your specific experiences, what things, if any, can you identify as problems? I'm asking in the current sense. If you have chosen not to roleplay, why?  

This expansion, I started raiding again, and that takes two nights plus upkeep time on that character, who's not even on this server anymore.   I try to balance the remainder of  my game time between Syreena and Anee.  It seems difficult to find people RPing in game anymore, on both factions.  Last expansion, most nights, we could get a crowd at the Brokenspear or Wyvern's Tail.  I've heard of RP happening in the Filthy Animal now and then, but it doesn't seem to be with any regularity.  Fay's Shal'Aran nights seem to be off to a good start though!  :)

I think Eclipse and a couple other big storylines spoiled us last expansion.  It was huge, involved sooo many people, and had so many spinoff stories and RP opportunities.  In Legion, there is so much game content to do, it seems hard to find the time for anyone to create something like that again.

What do you see as wrong with our community,  server,  RP scene,  whatever? What do you not want? 

For better or worse, I think Discord is here to stay as an RP tool.  I would rather more people RP in the main TNG channels instead of private guild channels when it's not specific guild sensitive stuff.  (Also, Mort or Keraph, if you read this, I humbly request a couple generic RP chat rooms for people who are RPing a scene with two or three people that stretches over days.  They could make the setting whatever they want, and RP as long and slowly as they want without taking up a chat channel for that period of time.  Sometimes I have the urge to try to start RP somewhere, but there's a three-day-long scene in progress that I wouldn't want to interrupt.)

Edited by Syreena