Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saelene

Mage From Birth

4 posts in this topic

"It's okay child, come..."  I had found a wandering child in Dalaran.  She wasn't really nervous or scared, just lost.  "Come inside our shop, I'll give you something to eat and we'll find your parents."  She looked famished and wasn't really speaking.  I hadn't seen a child, let alone talked with one, in a long time.  I took this as an opportunity to do so.  "What's your name?"  "Yana."  "That's a nice name.  And you are from Dalaran?"  She looked at me but didn't answer.  This was beginning to be more troublesome than I thought.  "You aren't from Dalaran, are you?"  She shook her head. "Oh that's alright.  We'll find your parents."  How was I going to do that exactly?  "Were you with them, when you got here?"  She shook her head again.  "How did you get here?"  She made round circle with her arms and then pointed through the middle of it.  "You walked through a portal?  From where?"  "Stormwind.  A nice man made a circle for me and I went through it."  A mage portal... wonderful.  "Did you ask him to do that?"  She nodded.  "Mhmm."  I realized I was suddenly getting myself into more than I had bargained for.  Just then Aethere walked into the shop from some errands.  "Dari said business is great at Ledgermain.  I was overdue for a drink with her.  It's been too..."  Aethere noticed the girl.  "Who's this now?  Saelene we can't offer our goods to young children."  "Shhh.  I know.  She's lost."  "Lost?  Oh boy..."  Aethere was... nervous around kids.  He didn't like their unpredictability.  I went back to questioning the girl.  "Are your parents in Stormwind?"  "I think they got boomed."  "Boomed?"  I realized she means they were killed.  "Oh, I'm sorry Yana.  Is that why you ran from Stormwind."  "Mhmm."  Adopting a child wasn't exactly something Aethere and I were ready for, let alone going to do.  "Okay then.  You can stay with us a few days until we figure this out for you.  Okay sweety?"  "Mhmm."  Her little eyes were unique.  She was a mage, but her clothing didn't indicate as such.  It seemed like she had been raised a shaman.  "Aethere, do you have any ideas about this?"  "I don't mind her staying with us a few days.  But we can't let her get attached.  You know how I am around kids."  "I know."  "I'll talk to Dari.  She's good with kids, and knows enough people to help us find some parents.  Saelene..."  "Yes?"  "She's a mage Saelene.  I know those eyes."  I nodded.  We knew how to spot those blessed with the Dalaran magic.  There were not many blessed with it who weren't from Dalaran themselves.

1 person likes this

"Yana, this is Dari.  She's my mom."  Dari wasn't my biological mother, she had taken it upon herself to be my guardian while I grew up in Dalaran.  Yana didn't need to know that.  Yana smiled.  "Hello there Yana.  I hear your parents aren't here.  We are going to find you some parents, young one."  Dari's voice was perfectly sweet and loving.  "Thank... you."  Little Yana seemed equally as polite and sweet.  "How old do you think she is Dari?"  Her age was difficult to tell.  She could be twelve as far as I could tell.  "I'd say eight or so.  About the age when the magic starts to manifest."  "It is as I feared then.  Her magic killed her parents and lead her to Dalaran."  Dari nodded.  She was clearly gifted, and soon to be adopted.  "Aethere, you and Saelene found her.  This is not a mistake.  She was drawn to the shop's magic.  I think you are going to have to take care of her and train her for some time."  I nodded, reluctantly.  Dari meant it, I wasn't going to argue.  "Look at it as a challenge, Aethere.  You've taught many mages the basics, why should she be any different?"  "I know.  I will be able to.  It's not the training I'm worried about.  It's the attachment."  Dari nodded.  "You're worried about your gravity.  Hrmmm."  I had a way of pulling things into my circle which would then never leave.  "I can't train her forever Dari.  She needs to move on from us.  The shop is too danger..."  "I know.  Just trust me.  Train her for the next month, and we'll figure it out after that."  "Can you be a mother to her?  Or find someone who can?"  "I know just the woman."

1 person likes this

We had fed her for a few days, she was already showing signs of recovering from her week long famine of being astray in Dalaran.  "So are you ready to talk about how you got here Yana?"  "Mhmm. I guess so."  "That's good.  So where did your parents go.  Do you know?"  She looked nervous.  "They went out to get some food for me and then they never came back.  I went to find them and a nice mage man said he knew where they were and would send me to them.  I went through his circle and here I am!"  I smiled at little Yana.  She was very sweet and somewhat reminded me of myself at her age.  And surprisingly she wasn't really upset about all that had happened to her in the last two weeks.  If someone goes through a traumatic event in their life and it doesn't upset them that means one of two things.  They are either crazy, or a powerful person.  I was hoping for the latter with Yana.  Which of course would explain how she ended up in Dalaran, the power center that it is.  The "mage man" had obviously recognized her magical aura and knew that if he sent a young mage to Dalaran we would take care of her, for the love of our own kind.  He was right.  I needed to get an idea of what her parents were like to hopefully find someone similar.  "Yana, I think your parents are gone.  Are you okay about that?"  I could not sense a parental connection with her, so I assumed.  "I guess so.  I just don't want to be hungry anymore."  "They didn't feed you well?"  She shook her head.  "I was always hungry, until I got here with you."  Obviously our food was good.  "Okay Yana.  We'll find you someone to take care of you.  But for the next little while we are going to help you learn about Dalaran, so that you can navigate the city easier.  It's a very special city, lot's of magic here!"  Yana smiled.  "Thank you miss."  "You can call me Saelene."  Just then she put up an aura spell of purple light.  It was a little weak, but her skills as a mage had already begun it seemed.  I tried not to act too surprised.  "Oh wow!  You can do that?  Who taught you that?"  "I just tried it one day."  Aethere was right then, she definitely is a mage.  It was time to get her some proper clothes then.  "Yana, would you like to go shopping?"  She giggled.  "Oh boy!  Yes yes!"

We went over to the tailor in Dalaran.  "Oh hello there young one.  What does your mommy want to buy you today, hrm?"  He was a very kind Night Elf.  He seemed busy with work but took the time to address us pleasantly.  "Hi there.  Yes we'd like to get her a proper robe.  Something purple and gold, if you have such a thing for a youngster?"  "My dear, of course we do!  They are expensive though, I must say."  "She's worth it."  Yana smiled.  I hadn't had a chance to dote on someone since I grew up with Aethere being more of a mother figure to him than a partner.  "Here you go little miss."  She was absolutely delighted.  Getting her out of those Shamanic robes was really going to put a smile on her face, I could tell.  Mages desire above all else to be with their own kind.  We are mistreated by basically everyone else to some degree or another.  "It's perfect!  Thank you Saelene."  I gave her a warm smile.  "My pleasure young one."

"She learned quickly."  I remarked to Saelene.  Saelene agreed.  "She's a natural.  She'll be fine with her new family."  "They are a good couple, and seem to have loved the idea of adoption.  And appointing Maxim as a teacher for her should prove wise."  "I agree."  Little Yana was safe now.  "It was fun for a time, don't you think, raising a kid?"  Saelene chuckled.  "Ha!  That's not raising a kid that's feeding one for a few weeks.  I'm sure raising one for twenty years is a whole nother story."  I nodded.  "Certainly not something we'd be doing.  We've got other concerns in our life."  Saelene nodded. "Course.  Everyone has their place in life.  We know ours."  "Indeed."