Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aneerys

Thoughts of a Living Shard

6 posts in this topic

How do you live again, after being dead for so long?

My whole life--and unlife, what part of it was mine--I always knew what I was supposed to do.  I knew my place and purpose.  Now...I don’t.  I just wander around, like I'm still a ghost, just trying to make it through the day so I can try to also make it through the next day.  And the next.  And the next.  Until…..what?  I die again?  From hunger?  The cold?  Demons? Some crazy murderer?  Her?  What is the point of it all?

The Westfall ladies were nice.  They gave me a bath and a soft bed to sleep in and a new dress.  And food.  As much as I wanted to eat.  They said I could stay there as long as I wanted.  But I only stayed a few days.  I don’t belong there. I don’t belong anywhere.

I felt drawn back to the Mage Quarter.  He must go there someday.  The Blue Recluse is where I met some of his men.  With the black and white swirly tabard.  But none of these men were his men from the other place.  I never saw these few before, but if his men go there, he would go there eventually.  Then I could hide and watch him and hear his voice again.  But I don’t think I’d let him see me.  I wouldn't want to see the disappointment on his face.

He said not a living person.  Donnabelle wasn’t dead.  Not really.   But I took her anyway.  It was my only choice.  I don’t know if he would understand why I had to do it.  Or why I have to lie and steal.  What if he hates me?

It’s hard now.  Before, things didn’t matter so much.  Food.  Warmth.  Shelter.  Protection from people.  Now I need all those things.  And sometimes people don’t give them willingly. 

On my way back to Stormwind, in my nice new dress, I stopped at a leatherworker’s shop in Goldshire.  I pretended I had every intention of paying when I had her fit me for a new set of leathers.  She said to come back in seven days, and I could pay for it when I picked it up.  On the night after the seventh day, I picked the lock on the door of her shop.  I found my order waiting for me in the back room.  I’ve never had anything that fit me so well.

I have to be careful though.  The last time I was in the Mage Quarter,  I saw the priestess at a Hallow’s End party.  She has her hand back.  She looked at me funny, like she knows who I am.   Maybe not.  Maybe.  She noticed me.  She looks good now.  Much better than the last time I saw her.  She's pretty.  Her hair is red, like mine, but not like mine.  Hers looks soft and clean.  I bet it smells nice too.

The elf said my chi could make Donnabelle’s body look like me.  Only a few people saw me as me, when they knew who I was.  Who she was. But if the wrong people find out who I am…. if she finds out…. I won’t be safe.  I would get dead for real.  Or worse. 

2 people like this

Stormwind has been quiet, and the guards were starting to notice me.  They hadn’t caught me doing anything, but they watched me more than I liked.  The crowds have thinned.  There are fewer other people to catch their attention.  For a while now, I’ve been hearing people talk about the floating city of Dalaran, so I went there.

I didn’t know what to expect, but it isn’t bad.  There’s an alchemy shop where I can work on potions.  There’s a coffee shop with tasty pastries sitting right out on a display on the counter where anybody can take them.  They’re so good!  Sweet and flakey and soft.  

The first time I took a pastry from the stand, a man sitting nearby saw me.  He looked at me like he expected me to say something, but I didn't.  He didn’t say anything either.  He put some money on the counter and went back to talking with his companion.

Another time I took a pastry, a lady saw me.  She cornered me in a chair and questioned me.  She offered to pay for the baked good and buy me another one if I agreed to let her wash my hair.  How strange!  Why would a well-dressed lady want to wash my dirty hair?  I didn’t trust her, especially since she was obviously a warlock, but I was hungry.  So she washed my hair and gave me a bed to sleep in for the night.  I haven’t seen her since.

I often wonder at people’s kindness.  It’s not at all as I remember.  Back in Stormwind, there was that nervous young man who stuttered.  He gave me enough coin to stay at the Recluse for a few nights once.  He must be rich.  Maybe I should try to find him again.  Maybe I'll see him someday as I explore these new lands in search of herbs for my potions.

There is a feast planned for Pilgrim’s Bounty for anyone to attend.  My mouth waters each time I imagine what kind of foods might be laid out there. 

Edited by Aneerys
1 person likes this

They want something from me.  The Sisters.  Especially Skylah.  She showed me her arm, her fake hand that replaced the one we cut off.  She knows….something.  She knows the Professor was involved.  What does she want?  I’m afraid to find out.  She gave me a gold coin and told me to use it to get in touch with her.  I won’t.  She asked me if I was friend or foe.  I told her I am not her enemy.  I didn’t tell her I was once.

There were lots of people at the Winter Veil party.

The card man was there.  I don’t think he recognized me.  He always seems happy.  And mysterious with his magic cards and strange accent.  He was talking to a dwarf, who was talking about other people.  I recognized some of the names the dwarf said, but I pretended not to.  Those people are from before.  Those people are people I must never see again.

Natherren was there, which is probably the only reason I didn’t bolt from the party when Skylah started talking to me.  He’s nice.  He’s always quiet, but I don’t think he would let anyone hurt me.  When the sisters left, he moved his hand away from his side.  I think he was ready to stop them if they tried to hurt me.  He lets them question me, but I think he wouldn’t let them hurt me.  Not while he’s there.

I met another man there.  He said I should get a job at the Legerdemain Lounge as a waitress.  He’s also in the Empire.  Someone told me his name is Gabriel, but he said that was his name when he was alive.  Now he’s dead, and he goes by Skaern.  Nath told him he still has the dead thing going on, and his armor and weapons didn’t help with that.  I didn’t notice.  I think he’s nice. 

There was a strange lady there at the end.  She couldn’t talk unless she held someone’s hand, and then she could only talk right into their mind, or anyone’s mind they were touching. She said she is lonely.  I told her being lonely isn’t that bad.  I am lonely, but I know there are worse things to be.  I felt sorry for her, but I also thought she was scary. 

I don’t want to see the Sisters again.  They don’t like me.  I have to be careful.  Mr. Skaern seems nice, but he’s in the Empire too.  Maybe he’s only pretending to be nice to trick me for them.  I can’t trust anyone.  I will always be lonely, like the lady who can only talk to someone's mind.  It's safer that way.

Edited by Aneerys
2 people like this

Things are going good for me in Dalaran.  Very good. 

I’m still staying at Daerek’s apartment.  He’s rarely here, and when he is here, he sleeps on the couch.  He also keeps a tailor on retainer for me, for whenever I want new clothes, and he usually leaves some grocery money for me.  I don’t know why he’s been so nice to me.  He must want something.  Eventually, he’ll ask to be paid back in some way.  But for now, my life in Dalaran is comfortable and easy.  Hopefully he survived his date.

Nobody has recognized me.  Well, other than the sisters and Lilly.  But I’ve managed to avoid them lately.  There are a few other people I thought might recognize me--the cardman, the demon elf, the halfling--but they haven’t.  It’s been over a year now.  I guess they’ve forgotten.  Or maybe I look different enough. 

I went on a date.  It’s just from the date auction, but it was nice. We had a picnic in Stormwind, overlooking the harbor.   I was worried, but he was a perfect gentleman.  He didn’t even ask any uncomfortable questions like where I’m from, or do I have a family, or anything, even when he noticed I was nervous when the guard yelled at us.  It was a very nice evening. 

I even joined a guild.  A peaceful guild, so I won’t have to fight.  It’s so different here.  You don’t have to be a fighter or act all tough here to fit in.  People are nicer than I remember too.  Nobody has been mean or threatening to me. Some days, I don’t even think about before.   I think I can finally make a life of my own.  

Posted (edited)

It’s just a finger.  I keep telling myself that.  I keep telling others that, and they look at me like they’re not sure how to react to my calmness about the whole thing.  It could have been so much worse.   And the doctor fixed it up as best he could.  My date from the auction a while back.  He was not at all what I expected.  He was nice.

“Booze money,” the finger stealer said, and “Be glad it’s just the finger I got paid for.”  That was after he made me tell him which of my hands I use more.  He cut the finger off the other hand.  He wasn’t unnecessarily cruel, and he didn’t seem to take exceptional pleasure in the task.  He was huge, and spikey, and so strong.  It could have been so, so much worse.  But people don’t consider what could have happened, only what did.  But it’s only a finger.  For now, at least.  What did happen, what I did lose, doesn’t frighten me.  But what’s next?  A hand?  My head?  Just watching my back all the time, waiting for a next strike?

Every time I remember the grip of death’s tendrils around my waist, yanking me into that alley.  Every time I envision those frosty blue eyes before me.  Every time I catch my breath, remembering that huge plate gauntlet around my neck.  Every time the stump of my pinky finger throbs, or an itch settles on a digit that is no longer there, I wonder.  Who paid him?   At first, I thought of Skylah.  She knows who I am, or thinks she does.  Would she have paid someone to mutilate my hand as payback for what was done to hers? 

Then I found out that the Cardman received my finger as a gift.  It was even wrapped up in pretty paper.  He didn’t seem to have a clue who sent it.  But I did.   I knew it wasn’t Skylah.  She would not have sent it to the Cardman.  At least, I don’t think she would.  She didn’t seem the type to send grisly presents like that.  I know of one who does send such gifts though, and if my suspicions are correction, this won’t be the end of it.  But I can’t tell anyone, not without revealing my own identity.  So I balance the risk of my safety against the new life I've begun to build for myself.  It is not an easy choice, especially without any way of being certain of who's behind the attack.

Aside from the sisters, who I never see any more, and Lilly, who I avoid, nobody else has shown any sign of knowing who I really am.  Until last night.  I tried to play dumb, but he wouldn’t have it.  He said we would talk later, somewhere quiet.  I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to that meeting, or dreading it.  In any case, although he could certainly make things difficult for me if he chose to, I am confident he can't hurt me, not without straining a long-standing trust with someone else.

Edited by Aneerys
1 person likes this

July

Pandaria is pretty.  I stay mostly in the Shrine, but sometimes I go for a ride around the Vale.  It’s peaceful here, mostly.  Every now and then a couple or so Horde will attack out on the terrace, but they rarely make it inside.  I haven’t seen any sign of Qabian here.  I guess I lost him.

Sometimes it’s too peaceful.  Too quiet.  Even with Buster here, our little room in the inn here sometimes feels more like a tomb.  I miss the apartment in Dalaran.  I hung some crystals in the window here, and got a soft blanket, but it’s still missing something.  It’s a hideout, not a home.  I guess I don’t have a home anymore.  Well, it was nice while it lasted.

I miss Daerek.  I know I did the right thing though.  He’s safer without me, and I don’t want him to get hurt…in any way.  If they know I care about him, they’d hurt him just because of that.  And I don’t want to hurt him anymore than I already have.  The General says he wouldn’t care about my past.  Still, I don’t want to think about what he might think of me if he knew the things I’ve done.  He was already upset when I fought that demon.  That was nothing compared to…..

That one couple still fights every week in cooking class.  What could anyone have to fight over so much?  If they fight that much, maybe they shouldn’t be together.  I’ve learned how to make fish cakes and rice pudding.  My fish cakes were too dry, but the pudding was good.  

I got a new cooking partner in class.  Her name is Chi’u Driftbrew.  Her family brews ales, as many Pandaren do, and she experiments in class by adding it to every recipe.  She says the plants the brew is made from held powerful spirits, and distilling them makes their power more concentrated.  I don’t know about all that, but I think her ale tastes good.

I wonder if they have Pandaren ale at the Recluse or the Shady Lady. 

3 people like this