Viirchi

All the Passion's Gone Out: what to do if your character no longer interests you

Viirchi    26

It can be hard to accept when a character just isn't working for you anymore. Whether it's a loss of the original concept, loss of rp partners or a story that's just gone on too long it can be so much harder when that character is the one you started with and formed the bulk of your connections on.

The common answer to this dilemma is to roll a new character and begin new stories.  This remains my go to solution for this issue but It's left me facing a character list where 90% of the slots are just left to collect dust. The ocd in me wants to clean out these slots or find some way to repurpose some characters but you always see them as those characters and deletion means dropping all the rares and achievements. 

So my long winded question is this:

Because I'm curious, what is everyone else's response to this problem when all the Passion's gone out of your character? Do you leave these characters untouched and make a new one? Do you try to force it and make it work? Name change? Do you go for broke and clear the slots?

• Like 2

Nikaa    24

This topic title really caught my attention because I've been going through this for a couple of years now, only in my case, it's much worse than losing interest in a character. 

I've lost interest in RP. 

It's something that I've been struggling with for a long time. I've uprooted my main character, Shaelie/Nika, and even tried shaking her world up with having her booted from The Grim and put her in Borrowed Time. I've tried making other characters. But the sad truth is, my interest in RP has fizzled out. I still linger around these forums because RP has been such a huge part of my life since 1998 when I created Nika for a Larp and tabletop group. And anyone who knows me can remember how deep I was into RP back several years ago. I look back on some of my forum threads and wonder what happened. I hope it doesn't happen to any of you!

• Like 1

Viirchi    26

Hi Nikaa. First I'm sorry this has happened with you. There has been only one moment in my history where I just flat out didn't want to rp anymore and that was related to a shitty situation.  I get the impression that's it's not that you don't like to rp though, it's just that you've lost your mojo.

I've been role playing about as long but I've swapped out different characters for every playground i come to, i can't imagine how it must be to have played the same character since the start and then lose interest in the only one you've ever truly felt connected to.

I can tell you my experience with rp has been on and off. When I feel even alts arnt doing it anymore I usually know it's time to stop and move on rather than force it. Sometimes it's taken me longer to notice burnout when I should but my pauses between rping usually go an average of 2 years until I find another gqme that ignites my passion.(this is actually the first game I've returned to after these pauses). During that time i do other stuff or find other interests, play other games and read. Maybe your answer is similar to mine? Don't worry about picking up that passion. Burnout is burnout and sometimes you do need to step away and maybe that passion will return and maybe it won't but my own experience tells me that trying to force that passion back in just makes it worse.

• Like 3

Fidjit    41

I went through this with a few characters, especially my 'main,' Thomas Jarington.

I did something similar to you, Nikaa. I pretty much destroyed his trading company, killed off the npc's within said company during a cartel takeover, and sent him sailing off into the north sea in a re-rigged lifeboat named, "Thom's Foolery."   ((Found here from the Sanctum: Castaways and Wreckage )) Part of this had to do with real life making RP during peak realm hours unrealistic, another part was the disappearance of other players and the rest was simple burnout on the character(s) themselves. 

My stable tends to have characters that are all related somehow. Not necessarily through family, but more in world connections via story line. Which can be deadly in and of its self. I'm not a gear-seeking raider, or pvp-is-life type of player, so every character I create is for RP first. 

This is why I introduced the pacer idea,. Initially to Ravenholdt with Alas, Gilneas and now on Twisting Nether/Ravenholdt with, For Keeshan. First, it takes the hunt for gear/instance runs/BG's OUT of the equation. Second, you get a group of people to RP with, maybe ones you never knew before. You all begin with a common theme, then figure out how you are going to live in the world. It's even better if you journal/write about your character's experiences. You get to know them, create deeper meaning about the quests and probably fall in love with your character.

I'd suggest if you're looking for a new connection to RP, create a paced leveling group. Think of a class or race that really intrigues you, or like For Keeshan, a questline that lights you up. Find a place to start, then play in the world as it's already created. It's a massive stage, with all sorts of nuggets to inspire. 

• Like 1

Kerala    59

I have only ever deleted one character, and that was Aziris' previous incarnation on my very first realm. Fâith made it to level 52 and was questing in Winterspring when we met a horde hunter trying to tame some critter there, I think it was a bear. She needed help to keep the bear away from her, back when taming was a really difficult process that required aggro the whole time and could get interrupted... however it worked in Vanilla. Well, we failed and she still could not tame the bear. Not only did she publicly bash us back in a time when such a thing as reputation was important among the server populace, but she reported my name because back then special characters were not allowed (and I hadn't read them obviously, who had that kind of time? Yes Blizzard you can have my soul just let me PLAY!)

Well, I renamed her. Obviously. And I was devastated. She no longer felt like my toon, I had to explain to many many people who this weird person was on their friend's list. I completely lost my will to talk to anyone on the server, much less help them. I could have understood an alliance maybe hate-reporting, but this had been horde. On our side. I was utterly betrayed. 

I ended up deleting her, and my family made our first server reroll. Aziris (Faith in gutterspeak, or my name Aimee, is Aziri, which was taken, so I added the S) was my next character, and she made it to max level a few months before BC. I did not RP her at all at first. After a VERY long time, she became the reincarnation of Fâith, which is why her human name is Faith Reinsson.

I believe I can say honestly that I have never burned out on RP. Reading and writing are things I love, and I find it extremely difficult to make up an entire story in my own head where every character has to be managed all by myself. I never feel that it's believable, and that its boring. I haven't tried since high school though, so perhaps after having RPed, I may have a better handle on how the characters could or should interact. So... I have servers with lists of abandoned characters. Mom is an altoholic who used to RP. She had 2 maxed accounts and her 3rd is I think 2 slots from full, so I'm going to guess we packrats who just cannot type in D- E- L- E- T- E into that confirmation box are the majority. However, while she has mostly unique toons, I have left a string of Keralas in the wake of our realm rerolls throughout WoW history. I have never actually killed off a character (yet), and if I'm not RPing, it's because the timing doesn't match up to others schedules.

There have been events or situations I had no interest in participating in, but I have never just not wanted to RP at all. RP is really all I've got. Everyone is different and interests do change, life goes in many directions, but it makes me really sad to hear that others have just lost that spark.

Edited by Kerala
  • Like 2

I can't say that I have ever lost interest in RP. Any character I play, in any game, I RP that character. I play that character as if I am that character... always.

I think that something you guys should consider is: is it RP (as in role playing that character) or the RP interactions with others that burn you out?

The reason I ask is because I have sometimes gotten burned out on RPing with other people's story lines. I get so caught up in their story (personal, guild, event stories, etc.) that I lose track of the part of playing that I most enjoy... BEING that character. Sometimes it helps if your character does disappear for a time... kidnapped, traveling, trapped somewhere, etc. I've done this and just started playing an alt. Because I still feel connected to the Main, I usually have the alt interact with the Main, then it just is matter of convenience to have them in the same guild so you don't miss out on what your friends are doing.

Eventually, even this doesn't seem to work and I end up playing a different game for awhile, or rolling a new set of characters on another server. I did this many years ago, but always kept coming back to WoW. Finally, on my previous server, the CRZ issues were horrendous. A small RP-PvP server became overwhelmed with PvPers. I hated it.

Then, I remembered I had these characters on this server (Bokar and Felonius). I played them for a short while, then decided to check out the "new" Monk class, but I keep going back to my old favorites, Bokar and Felonius. They are so opposite in personalities, it stays fun playing them off and on. My poor Monk has become a bank alt, but that is because I got in with a good guild (Cup and Blade Caravan). They always are up for RP or have something going on to keep people having fun. But the group is casual enough that if you solo, or even take a break for awhile, it is okay.

Lately, my time just hasn't allowed me to play as much as I would like. It's hard to burn out when you aren't even playing. :-)

• Like 1

Cavanaugh    59

This thread I totally understand, but I think that's why I limit my RP a bit, and really focus on game play and all aspects of the game, and try in some way to tie my RP into the gameplay etc.

I have had Cavanaugh as my only WoW char with any real play time, for 10 years now... but I don't spend a ton of time RPing, I will RP if approached, but I treat it like life, and I don't really go seeking it.

The guilds I've been in / have helped run, don't necessarily focus on RP as much as inter character relationships and PvP/PvE oriented RP, and that has helped I think because I never really focus strictly on RP. Sure Cav is almost always in character, and I do attend some events, try to represent myself well with other guilds, and write on here... but I play the game first, and RP in relation to that, maybe that's why I've been able to stay interested? My only times where I lose interest in RP, is when I lose interest in the game in general.

I love RPing while I world PvP, and after the battle... maybe a weekly meeting or event and then while Im talking to other players, just general interactions, but I love playing the game in general... most of the time... sure I get bored occasionally and have been a blood traitor, xferred realms, etc, but those are mostly based on lack of game play availability, and people who I am used to playing with, not so much the RP in general of Cavanaugh.

I'm sad to see Nikaa lose interest in RP, because I remember RPing quite a bit with her, but I get it... I think you need to be in a guild and with people who you enjoy playing with and RPing with and have similar interests that allow for quite a bit of flexibility in character for such a sustained interest.

I don't know, I'm all over the place... I've also retconned several stories personally that I made when I thought I was quitting the game... but again most of those times were based not so much on RP boredom, but lack of things to do in game.

I also REALLY miss the Fabled Order, which was one guild that truly was a great Alliance RP guild, in my opinion... I would definitely give up the 9th Legion to resurrect that, hahaha shhhh don't tell anybody! ;-)  prob still to date the most fun I've had in game... it was a combo of the RP and being new to the game...but I hope you get that interest back

• Like 2

Vilmah    32

I look for inspiring situations or stories. For Vilmah, I thought I was in a rut until I started listening to the Warlords of Draenor soundtrack. Orc-y music set me back on track. :) 

Cavanaugh    59

That's actually true as hell, sometimes its movies as well! Kingdom of Heaven got me back into the mood to RP a while ago when I saw that, not in theatres ofc, haha and it wasn't even THAT great of a movie, but it was like... Damn, lemme get back on Cav!

Cavanaugh    59

For a time we used a version of the oath that was used by Liam's char to Bloom's char as part of our guild invite RP hahaha

And the inspiration for the 9th Legion is the Centurion... we were rolling around using the Centurion - Brawl Scene on youtube to be a recruitment video lmao

But yeah, things like that can REALLY help you in an RP rut haha or at least motivate it

Graysong    12

That is something I've been dealing with on my main toons for a while now.

I ended up rolling an alt and it has gotten me back into RP a bit.  Largely because I've never played a Night Elf nor roleplayed one.  So it's different.  I am unfamiliar with Demon Hunter lore and the differentness has actually captured my attention.

My main issue with my "mains" is that I feel like they've been RP'ed into a corner.

I have nothing to do with them.  No stories to be involved with and in some ways I feel as though the character is just boring or a one trick pony.  It is my fault for getting them in situations that required involvement from others to the degree they did -- as when the others stopped RP'ing or had issues come up my toons were stagnated.

I haven't come up with an IC solution as to why they've dropped off the face of Azeroth yet.

So my suggestion?

Make something different.  Do you passionately hate Night Elves (like I do?) roll one.  Make a weird race/class combination.  You may not stick with it -- but it may help get your creativeness and fun factor going again.

(I still have a furious gnome warrior that I toy with on occasion because shoulder slamming people as a 3 foot gnome is always fun and add in the RP side of him basically being Azeroth's version of Iron Man and you have some interesting RP.)

Edited by Graysong
I suck at spelling.
  • Like 1

Cavanaugh    59

I also find intertwining your story with an in game story can be beneficial ... I did that with Cav and the Scarlet Crusade for the start of this expansion and it worked well with what happened to them in game...

Im also not usually a long drawn out storyline RPer... because... I usually just have it more free form / flowing ... I will be involved in peoples stories but... I try to keep it like life... never know whats gonna happen etc.

But that's just me, obvi different strokes for different folks!

• Like 1

Kerala    59

I like the emotional commitment that being involved with others requires. Casual RP, sometimes called tavern RP or walk-up RP without any purpose to it feels meaningless in my opinion. But, it's a double-edged sword. I feel that deeper, not necessarily plot-driven, social RP is more rewarding, but it can be infinitely more hurtful too to face a lack of interest, the abandoning of an alt that you were involved with (who you might not have known was an alt! >.<), or other such scenarios. You put in effort to make other people's characters get to a place they like, you might even bend the rules of strictly IC for your character in order to make it happen if you're the accommodating type, and sure you're having fun in general- it's RP!, but then if you suggest an idea later to get your character developed and get ignored...

Frankly, it's devastating.

17 hours ago, Graysong said:

"It is my fault for getting them in situations that required involvement from others to the degree they did -- as when the others stopped RP'ing or had issues come up my toons were stagnated."

:removed:

It can be very difficult to work your character out of such a corner but... you don't necessarily have to, either. Just like with backstories, you don't have to have one at all to role-play. Maybe the idea will come to you later, maybe not. Until then, you can always tell people to mind their own business when it comes to where your toon has been. Chances are, people will be be really happy to see you back! History or backstory is great and can greatly enrich a character, but no one wants to hear an RPer drone on and on about what happened years ago. WHO CARES? We're RPing NOW. The past is only relevant in regards to NOW. And possibly later, but you get the idea, right? So please don't let that stop you.

17 hours ago, Graysong said:

I have nothing to do with them.  No stories to be involved with and in some ways I feel as though the character is just boring or a one trick pony. 

This struck a point with me too, and largely because I do love all my healers, but almost everyone gets ignored in favor of my main Kerala because she is really the one I love and feel is the most developed and interesting. At one point I actually considered killing off my priest Lomani because I just felt she was BORING. But, everyone else loves her- she's nice and friendly and helpful and I don't even know what else.

Conflict is what creates interest. Not necessarily a fight, though that is most common. Moral quandries, a personality flaw, learning a new skill, FAILING at something. These are make characters interesting, both for those around you and when it comes to playing them. In the same vein as mixing and matching class/race combinations, next time you're about to jump into a scenario, think about what might happen if you substituted that boring character. What if you did put that boring banker toon into the middle of combat? Would they flip out and have a breakdown? Would they discover they kick butt? Would they have fun and learn from it, but ultimately decide that the quiet collector life (whatever a banker does) is for them?  Shake it up a bit, and see if maybe that helps! 

Edited by Kerala
  • Like 1

Viirchi    26

Honestly I've been guilty of straight up abandoning characters, it's something I regret but knowing the reasons I did it I can't blame anyone else for doing the same thing. This is a game and people are here for fun, while the benefit of what we do requires us to get invested in these characters sometimes we don't see the struggle behind the game and sometimes there's that odd person who keeps plugging along because they feel obligated even though they have not realized themselves they need a break.  I disagree with the statement that this community is slowly dying because really, people said the same thing five years ago, they said the same thing 7 years ago and they will continue to say it now.

I understand what you are getting at Kerala and I believe you have made some good points but I  think we're getting a little off topic by discussing community etiquette and personal preference rather than the main subject of RP burnout and helpful solutions that could benefit others.

Kerala    59

When I typed it I felt it very relevant as we were discussing the loss of interest in main characters, but I can see where my opinion is really just that. It doesn't really matter WHY you've lost interest, we're talking about what you can do to fix it, not anyone else. Snipped away to keep subsequent thread readers on track.

• Like 1

Saphiara    11

I'm already feeling like I'm done with RP again. I tried to come back part time, but I guess without a guild and only playing on TN occasionally I'm not going to get much interaction. Nobody seems particularly interested in Saphiara anymore, and most of my other characters have been transferred off. So I might just be done with WoW as an RP platform.

Zanas    20
2 hours ago, Saphiara said:

I'm already feeling like I'm done with RP again. I tried to come back part time, but I guess without a guild and only playing on TN occasionally I'm not going to get much interaction. Nobody seems particularly interested in Saphiara anymore, and most of my other characters have been transferred off. So I might just be done with WoW as an RP platform.

I'm actually guildless and I managed to get a fair amount of RP for a while.

Until I sorta dropped off like I posted about earlier.

Do you go to the cantina events?  They're weekly.  I forget the time though.

I may be popping back to my horde toons in the near future to feel out RP if you want to meet up.

My tag is Sieln#1130

Cavanaugh    59

I mean tbh, if you aren't in a guild, and you only play on the server part time... you're responsible for limiting yourself.

I think getting in a guild that goes with how you want to RP is a HUGE part of RP in an MMO.

Saphiara    11

I'm talking about here, as well - perhaps primarily. I recognize that in-game interaction might be limited, particularly now at the beginning of the xpac when people aren't just sitting around. 

But it doesn't really feel like people are terribly interested in interacting with me here, either. Maybe that's my fault; I wonder if people remember who I was 8 years ago and don't care who I am now. I've thought about wiping everything and starting fresh with a secret character, but that just feels dishonest.

So maybe it's just time to stop trying to restore something that died years ago.

Viirchi    26
5 hours ago, Saphiara said:

dy seems particularly interested in Saphiara anymore, and most of my other characters have been transferred off. So I might just be done with WoW as an RP platform.

Again I feel like this is delving a little too much into personal territory rather than opening up discussions that can help everyone. However I do understand your frustration Saphiara and I definitely would like to open some ideas to help others that may be experiencing similar situations.

Another player I deeply respect commented that a lot of people don't realize what a great resource the TNG forum is and after shopping around at other servers I tend to agree. Aside from Ravenholdt I've found few if any dedicated RP forums still active. So, let's use it right? With a smaller server there's not a lot of opportunity to find random rp but I don't think your options are completely hopeless. If I remember Saphiara is horde so that's even better. My suggestion is if you wish to remain guildless to first troll the event forums and start looking for events around your availability, barring that I highly recommend resourcing Discord and just asking if anyone's available. If you don't feel like logging into game there are a lot of rp channels available for the tng discord that are very active. I believe the looking for rp section of the forum is still active so I suggest making a post there as well. If you are looking for a guild the bottom right corner of the site has horde and alliance guild links below but there's also the guild recruitment forum section to browse if you feel the need.

I think secret character's are fun to play, I don't consider it dishonest so much as a mystery and as long as you're not abusing your anonymity then why not? Picking up after several years absence is hard but you need to believe that it is most definitely not you. As a real life example I had fallen into a deep depression for years, I shut off everyone and just stayed hermiting and until I had actually quit my job did I realize how bad it had been. When I came out I realized that my friends had moved on and I was playing catch up. I had to work to reform some connections but it was something I felt that was worth doing and things have improved. My point is to everyone, if you're cut off for a long time you need to have patience and care enough to reforge bonds that became lost. It's not fair to expect others to suddenly pick up from where things had been left off when you are the one who left. Believe me, I know this all too well IC and in RL. If you feel it's worth it then don't give up until you try some of the suggestions above.

• Like 1

Cavanaugh    59

Reaching out to other people helps too :-)

For ex... I am trying to reach out to Horde players to RP, for fun, and short term RP stuff. Again I'm not a long term RP person... I'm more about interpersonal stuff... I think finding stuff that really inspires you, like music, movies, other games, anything.

Theres lots of fun writers block busters that you can go to I think :-)

• Like 1

Fidjit    41

As a Ravenholdter, I echo this sentiment from Viirichi: 

people don't realize what a great resource the TNG forum is and after shopping around at other servers I tend to agree. Aside from Ravenholdt I've found few if any dedicated RP forums still active. So, let's use it right?

The Sanctum, Ravenholdt's forum was once a fabulous RP tool. For those of us who couldn't RP in the game as often as most, it was a life saver. Since the merger of the two realms, TNG has taken the lead for forum participation and the Sanctum's gone quiet. What might be fun to see, would be more OPEN forum stories to bring people together in that sort of RP.  I know the ECLIPSE was one of those, and look how many people it pulled into it's vortex? It took a ton of work, so one more forum-focused and less in-game based might be less effort and have a broader appeal at the moment, especially with Legion marching through the world. 

Just some thoughts from the cheap seats. ;)

Edited by Fidjit