Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Resileaf

7.1 patch and the resulting chaos. HEAVY SPOILERS ALERT

10 posts in this topic

I do not know how many people here keep track of the game's future events from the PTR and such, but there is something in the 7.1 patch that will bring the Nighthold raid to bear that may be worthy of talking about in advance. Once again, this is extremely heavy spoilers, if you do not want to know what happens, please do not read any further.

So, with that out of the way, let's get right down to it. The Nighthold raid will begin with an attack on Suramar by the combined elven armies of the Kaldorei under Tyrande, the Sindorei under Lady Liadrin, and the Queldorei under Vareesa Windrunner. Along with being a rare case of faction cooperation, it will probably be one of the most important battles of the expansion.

However, disaster will strike. Using the Eye of Aman'thul, Elisande will do nothing less than cast a time stop spell on the entire army, sparing only the player character who will save Khadgar, Tyrande and Liadrin. Everyone else will be trapped in this spell, and although it's not yet clear how long this spell lasts, there is the distinct implication that whoever is caught in it will be trapped for perhaps the entire duration of the patch until Elisande is defeated (if that even ends the spell).

This, of course, brings heavy consequences on the RP playerbase. What will happen to your character if they're caught in it? Is there a way to save them from this? If your character would have normally fought in this battle, will the thought of being locked out of RP for an undetermined amount of time make you find a reason for them to not participate in that battle? If they are trapped, will they remain conscious through it, or will their mind also be stopped until they are unfrozen? The result of being conscious while locked like that may very well make a character go mad from being frozen and unable to even do anything for several months.

Personally, I've already decided that Resileaf, as a sentinel commander, will be trapped in the time stop, and that she may very well remain aware despite it, if the lore doesn't tell that such a thing is impossible. This will effectively make me unable to play as her for a long time, but I hope that it will cause good RP more than bad one. But admitedly, if it then turns out that the people locked in this time stop spell may never wake up, or will be killed further down the road, I may change my mind because I'm not really willing to kill Resileaf for good. How about everyone else? Would you sacrifice such a long period of a character's life for storytelling reasons?

1 person likes this

The thing is... as far as lore, once the raid is released, lorewise, unless its gated... it usually means the bosses were defeated in game. So you really don't know how long that "time stop" really is... lorewise.

I feel like a time stop they wouldn't be conscious, it would be instant... for them, even if its a certain amount of time... like being given anesthesia... You're awake and then it seems like you blink and are awake again.

So its a tough call... the 9th Legion would likely all be caught in this time stop if its a massive military attack... but if its just elven led armies, they would likely not be involved in the initial assault... so it also sort of depends on the makeup of the attacking forces as far as my RP would go.

I can't wait for 7.1. The entire thing sounds awesome so far, although I don't know TOO many details.

There's an argument to be made for the entire raid to be claired once it's come out, but raids generally come with lengthy quest lines, or the LFR version comes with gating for every week, suggesting or giving the illusion that there is a longer campaign at play than what we can blow through in our own questing. For example, when you first contact Xe'ra by making the Heart of the Light and the tears of Elune together, you are told that you have been unconscious for three days, whereas in-game, it takes two minutes (and damn Blizzard for making an unskippable two-minute cutscene). Furthermore, some people might want to see the content last a bit longer rather than the threat of the patch be dealt immediately.

As for how conscious you might be, there have been a few time stops spells seen in-game yet, and I can recall two of them that suggest that the person frozen in time still has awareness. The time-frozen Nighhtborne you fight when you first contact the Nightfallen, and the Moon Guard sorceress who freezes herself and a few Nightborne until you arrive. Both seem to have a certain awareness of their previous situation (the first immediately remarking the time stop spell, the second saying she felt your presence).

Concerning the Legion's presence, as far as I know, only the elven armies are present. It's an elven effort to fight what is essentially an elven conflict. Obviously, it's your call if other people might be there not as part of the main armies, but it is less likely since it is so obviously meant for elves to participate in.

There is nothing really lorewise that indicates that raids are completed in the lore upon release to the playerbase. It is left vague and nebulous for people to discover, often nowadays even hiding special cutscenes in the higher tiers of difficulty. The pacing is dependent on the playerbase and often subject to varying interpretations. This is similar to the questing experience. You could blow through all of the Broken Isles in a matter of hours, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was all lorewise completed at the same break neck pace. Most ICly simply feel through the events logically while consulting with others for a loose consensus of what was likely. For instance, a raid like ToC would obviously take far less time lorewise than something like SoO. Add in the aforementioned questlines and gated versions of raids and it paints a more lengthy picture in many cases.

Edited by Rorrek

I think a casual option is just to have characters you want to RP not get hit by the time stop. Like Elisande is a badass in her own right, and using a pillar of creation, also amped up by the Nightwell is doubtless a huge deal. But people get skipped over for all kinds of reasons. After all, it's a pretty big, complex spell, so even someone with her status isn't likely to just apply it to every peon and soldier; taking down heads of command and their honor guards is probably a solid enough tactical move to let the Duskwatch deal with whoever is left. 

Well, the problem with that is that this spell is basically a huge AoE. She's not targetting it at anyone in particular, but striking the entire army at once. Pretty much like Khadgar during the Shattrath scenario in WoD, but on an even more massive scale. Anyone in the radius is at risk of being affected, and if someone like Khadgar cannot resist, I have my doubts on the basic soldier's chances.

It's not that vague, when they released ICC, and the wing that Arthas was in was unlocked, the statue in Dalaran depicting his fall was already in Dal... the first day the wing was available. And that is just one of the most obvious examples... there are others.

The games lore works obviously different than in game quests, but the lore is technically "complete" in game when the content is released. Was the point I was making.

As far as locking myself out of RP... not a chance lol ... I'd avoid it altogether... if everyone on the Broken Isles would have died I wouldn't have gone... etc , if we were involved with the Time Stop, which it sounds like we wouldn't be... and it would be months long, there would be some reason why I wasn't deployed there at the time... RP is pretty much one of the main reasons I play the game and I don't want to be unable to do that for any reason... but that's my opinion... and prob why I don't involve my RP with long drawn out scenarios where I am kidnapped or injured etc, if I do that, its during breaks in the game itself that I take haha.

Of course, that is a totally personal decision and people choose the other way quite a bit too, whatever floats your boat!

It's why I usually involve my RP with more PvP then PvE.

If I did it would be forum RP, and then that sort of thing and how things work in game don't have to gel... balancing timeframes in game and out of game have always been a bit confusing for me... but it also seems to allow for quite a bit of flexibility, which is good, because there doesn't seem to be a rule set that clearly defines it.

I don't know, THERE IS NO SPOON!

I would argue that instances as the Dalaran statue reflect more Blizzard's tendency to release updates in bursts rather than a lorewise reflection of the time "technically" taken for raid encounters. Though, they have improved lately with the usage of phasing technology to better pace these things out so that the world changes around your progress. Claiming that events are considered, in lore, complete when released also poses great issue in the context of multiple raids/dungeons. Are we to say that on the very first day every single threat was put down at once lorewise? If the threats are technically defeated the moment they are released, then what are we doing for months before the next batch of content appears? Why does the lore and story not cover said areas of emptiness? The story of WoW is purposefully vague like that because it has to be. Content can only be added so often and so precise descriptions are left largely alone. There are holes to fill everywhere and, again, nothing stating anywhere clearly in favor of either interpretation. In hind sight the timeline of events appears more clean, but even then there are no simple indications in the lore as to when specifically certain events (raids, dungeons, etc) were considered dealt with. It is something most ICly avoid describing with absolute certainty, at least until the following patch where the story finally moves forward.

The question of Elisande's spell and the aftermath on characters present is interesting. We are only speculating at the moment since we do not have definite details, but I would wager being caught in the spell would render a character much like the trapped NPCs. But, that isn't to say there cannot be special cases or close escapes when it comes to individual RP. Perhaps a character happened to have something that preserved them from the effects? Perhaps they had something that got them out of there just in time? Or, maybe they were simply in a section of the area outside of the spell's range when it happened? I think we need to see the spell in action to gain more accurate bearings. I look forward to seeing what people decide to do when the time comes.

As for my character: Rorrek will probably not be present at the battle as it appears to be an elven movement, assisted by the Kirin Tor. There are a number of other threats to be dealt with on the Broken Isles, after all. 

4 hours ago, Cavanaugh said:

As far as locking myself out of RP... not a chance lol ... I'd avoid it altogether... if everyone on the Broken Isles would have died I wouldn't have gone... etc , if we were involved with the Time Stop, which it sounds like we wouldn't be... and it would be months long, there would be some reason why I wasn't deployed there at the time...

This, pretty much. Come up with some reason why you weren't exactly there at that exact time. And then only if you need to. I pointedly ignore any and all quests that make my character the hero, if I can. If it's something I can't ignore, like the opening of the portal for WoD or Broken Shore for Legion, because my character really should have been there, I try to make it as generic as possible (one of many who was there). In this case, considering that we're going to have a shit ton of people who obviously made it through, it's probably pretty safe to bend the official line and say some forces were not in fact affected by the time stop, only those you see affected in game. 

1 person likes this

If I were RP'ing I definitely wouldnt lock myself into a time stop, and would probably use Deus Ex Machina Artifact Weapon excuse such as Truthguard shielded Anastarian from the blast. Now, that said, I've yet to see how it plays out in game but no, not for me.  Now, for my alts... That would explain their delayed entry into the expansion.

1 person likes this