Sign in to follow this  
Derecho

I need help

I need help.

How do you do it? How do you get people to participate? It is timing? Is it just a killer awesome sales pitch? Is it micromanaging? How do you run a plot and be able to have people DO stuff? How do you get people interested and STAY interested?

Am I failing because I wasn't ambitious enough to peg it as a huge epic PLOT? Because even though I don't think I could be a GM for something guided like Eclipse or Quorum, I was still kind of hoping that everyone would get involved.

I started at the end of the expansion when there isn't anything else to do but wait for the new stuff and RP. Except people weren't RPing. I don't know what they were doing. It feels to me like I chose a terrible time because Blizzard announced a hard date and suddenly everything stopped dead 2 months in advance. I had thought with content already done, nothing to do for a predetermined time- that should be the BEST time to stand around making up stories and be just super creative. I was wrong. 

I feel as if I've had to beg to get anything going, and then I do and while it's going on it's mostly great, but then... nothing. I can't be a bad guy if no one cares. Add to that, I apparently wasn't interacting with people's mains. They were alts, and I didn't know that and now my story is just..... fucked. I have to start all over, maybe.

I'm just a little bit jealous that someone can arbitrarily declare "here's a bad guy boss/group of bosses I just made up, now you have to go defeat it/them!" and turn out an epic adventure, and I thought I've basically done the same.... but somewhere I must have deviated because I'm failing utterly. So what am I missing?

I understand this is a new expansion now, which I do not have. I hope to fix that soon. I understand people are going to be busy with leveling and questing and exploring, and making that mad dash for gearscore so then they can settle into the raiding routine. Or pvp or whatever. There's new stuff to do and RP is unfortunately on hold. I'm trying to be patient. This is the reason why I'm trying to get help NOW. What have I done wrong? What should change? Whenever people do get the time and inclination, I want to be better.

Please help me.

First of all, I don't think you're actually failing. People were having a good time trying to figure out what was going on. But if you thought things would take a life on their own, that's unfortunately not true. RP requires constant attention, constant investment, to stay alive. That's also true with plots, if not even more so due to requiring a bigger picture be maintained. It's always going to feel like begging people. Always. Otherwise, people are going to take the path of least resistance and not do much of anything at all. It's a little disappointing, but that's how people are. You have to make peace with that or stuff like this will kill your motivation and make you read failure into yourself even though that's not the problem.

Good luck, and don't give up.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this