Syreena    59

Kate and I were chatting about food and we decided we need a recipe thread.  So...here!  :)

Chickpea and Vegetable Curry (Crock Pot)

• 1 can (about 14 oz) unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1 cup vegetable broth, divided
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 2 cups cut fresh green beans (1-inch pieces)
  • 1 can (about 15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 2 carrots, very thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins (or black raisins)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups hot cooked couscous (or rice)
  • Chopped green onion and toasted sliced almonds (optional)

1. Coat the inside of crock-pot with nonstick cooking spray.  Combine coconut milk, 3/4 cup broth, curry powder,and ground red pepper in crock-pot.  (Adjust spice amounts to taste.)  Stir in green beans, carrots, chickpeas, raisins; mix well.  Cover, and cook on LOW 6 to 7 hours, or HIGH 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until vegetables are tender.

2.  Whisk remaining 1/4 cup broth into flour in a small bowl until smooth.  Stir into vegetable mixture in crock-pot.  Turn crock-pot to HIGH.  Cover, cook on HIGH for 15 minutes or until thickened. Ladle into shallow bowls.  Top with couscous.  Sprinkle with green onion and almonds, if desired.

Makes 4 servings.

Chickpea and Veggie Curry.jpg

Recipe and picture from CROCK-POT Vegetarian Recipes book

Edited by Syreena
  • Like 1

Nikaa    24

Fun! I have lots of recipes to share. 

Marinated Steak Tips with Caramelized Onions

1d71f89bdb691cad08e73b525653bbf7.png

Using Coca Cola is a commonly-used ingredient in steak marinades and it helps tenderize the beef. But - if you use a really good-quality cut of beef, it is not necessary and water can be used. (For our rib eye tips, we used water.)

Ingredients
For the Marinade
1 cup ketchup
½ cup Coca-Cola or water (see note)
½ cup sugar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
½ cup A-1 Sauce
1½ tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
Other Ingredients
2 pounds sirloin or rib eye trimmed and cut into large cuts as big as 2 to 3 inches square
1 large onion, cut into thick strips vertically
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar

Instructions
In a medium sauce pan, place all marinade ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and gently simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
Trim any gristle or large pieces of fat from beef. Cut into large pieces; about 2-3 inches square. Place cut beef in a zip lock bag. Pour cooled marinade over beef, seal and marinate 8-24 hours.
In a medium sauté pan over low heat melt butter in olive oil and place onions, salt, pepper and sugar and cook stirring occasionally for 30-40 minutes until onions are caramelized but not cooked down too much. Start cooking tips as the onions get close to finishing.
When you are ready to grill, drain all marinade and heat a ribbed grill pan over extremely high heat or heat your outdoor BBQ grill to the highest setting.
Lightly oil or spray pan or grill and place beef onto grill or pan not touching each other and cook untouched for 2-3 minutes (Depending on how thick they are and how hot your grill or stove gets, the timing will need to be monitored). If you are not certain, cut into one and check for doneness. Turn once and cook for another 1-2 minutes for medium rare. Remove to a platter and serve with the caramelized onions.

• Like 1

Katelle    25

Syreena says I must post, so post I shall!

White Chicken and Cheese Lasagna

• 9 Lasagna Noodles
  • 1/2 cup Margarine
  • 1 Chopped Onion
  • 1 Clove Minced Garlic
  • 1/2 cup Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 cups Chicken Broth
  • 1 1/2 cups Milk
  • 4 cups Shredded Mozzarella
  • 1 1/4 cups Parmesan
  • 2 cups Ricotta
  • 1 teaspoon Basil
  • 1 teaspoon Oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
  • 1 tablespoon Parsley
  • 2 cups Cubed (or chunked, whatever is easiest), Cooked Chicken (~1lb)
  • 10oz Chopped Spinach (or fresh, whatever you prefer!)

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Cube boneless, skinless chicken and boil until cooked. (I find it easier to cook it first and chunk it from there.)

3. Prep your veggies (chop the onion, mince the garlic, drain spinach if necessary).

4. Boil lasagna noodles in salt water 8~10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water, then set aside.

5. Mix chicken and ricotta together.

6. Melt margarine in a pan and add onions and garlic. Cook until tender, stirring regularly to avoid burning them. 

7. Add flour and salt to the onion/garlic mix and immediately stir in chicken broth and milk. Keep stirring until the mixture is smooth and thick.

8. Add half of the mozzarella, 1/2 cup parmesan, basil, oregano, and pepper to the sauce mix. Stir until the cheese has melted.

9. In a baking dish, layer everything in the following order:

1/3 of sauce -> 3 noodles -> chicken-ricotta mixture -> 3 noodles -> 1/3 of sauce -> all spinach -> 1/2 cup parmasean -> 2 cups mozzarella -> 3 noodles -> remaining sauce -> remaining parmasean -> parsley (sprinkled on very top).

10. Bake for 35 minutes. 

Makes ~10 servings. 

Bonus Recipe!

Shakespeare Tea (or "Tummy-Time Tea")

My mom used to make this all the time for me when I had an upset tummy. Whenever I got sick, it was the only thing that would settle my stomach. But it's delicious just for itself too! The ingredients can be found at most natural food stores, herb shops, etc. and are usually available in bulk (so you can scoop and weigh exactly how much you want). 

• 1/2oz Dried Mint Leaves (black peppermint, spearmint, or a mix of both)
  • 1/2oz Dried Winter Savory
  • 1oz Dried Sweet Marjoram
  • 1/2 - 1oz Dried Lavender Flowers

Mix up and seal in an airtight container for keeping. The container could be a mason jar or something similar. Load desired amount into a tea strainer and steep in freshly-boiled water until the tea reaches your preferred strength. For this tea, I found ~10 minutes to be a good combination of strength for flavor and enough to calm my stomach. Sweeten to taste, add milk or cream if desired. 

• Like 1

Khorvis    80

These recipes look tasty! Here is my competition for Nika's beef tips. Just get the big pack of boneless ribs from Costco. It fits in your standard 9x13 pyrex dish. Also, definitely marinate overnight.

Korean Beef Short Ribs (Kalbi)

INGREDIENTS

4 pounds Korean-style beef short ribs

2 kiwis, peeled and pureed in a blender

2 tablespoons light brown sugar

1/2 cup soy sauce

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped (2 tablespoons)

1 -inch piece fresh ginger, grated (1 tablespoon)

2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil

1 tablespoon honey

1 tablespoon Korean red pepper powder

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

16 -ounce bottle Hard apple cider

Vegetable oil for brushing

INSTRUCTIONS

Using your hands, massage the short ribs with the kiwi purée. Sprinkle each piece evenly with sugar and let sit while you make the marinade.

In a medium bowl, mix together the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, sesame oil, honey, red pepper powder, pepper, and cider. Place the ribs in a single layer in a wide shallow pan and pour the marinade over, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator, turning occasionally, for at least 1 hour, or preferably 12 hours.

Prepare a medium charcoal fire (you can hold your hand over the rack for no more than 3 or 4 seconds) with the rack 4 to 6 inches from the coals, or preheat a gas grill to medium. While the grill is heating up, drain the ribs from the marinade. Reserve the marinade for basting, if desired.

Brush the grill rack with oil and grill the ribs in batches until they turn caramel brown and develop slightly charred edges, 6 to 8 minutes on each side. Baste with the reserved marinade during the first 10 minutes of grilling if you like.

Edited by Khorvis

Syreena    59

Black & Blue Crumb Bars

(Grainger renamed them Brawler's Guild Bars because "black & blue."   Get it?  Har har!)

• Oil or Pam for the pan
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp orange zest
  • 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 Tbsp orange juice
  • 2 cups blueberries
  • 6 oz blackberries
  • 2 tsp cornstarch

• 1.  Heat oven to 375 F. Lightly oil a 9-in. square pan and line with parchment so that it overhangs on 2 sides, then oil the parchment (or spray with Pam).
  • 2.  In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Rub the butter into the flour mixture until evenly distributed.  Add the egg and orange zest and mix together using your hands.
  • 3.  Transfer HALF the mixture to the prepared pan and press it in evenly.  Add the coconut to the remaining crumbs in the bowl and mix to combine.
  • 4.  In a second large bowl, toss together the orange juice, blueberries, blackberries, cornstarch, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar.  Spoon the berry mixture over the crust in the pan.  Sprinkle the coconut crumbs over the top. 
  • 5.  Bake until light golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool before lifting out of the pan to cut into 8 long bars or 16 small squares.

BlackAndBlueCrumble.jpg

Edited by Syreena
  • Like 1

Syreena    59

I love soup on chilly fall or winter days!   This one is simple to make and soooo tasty!   We always have it with fresh popovers or Irish soda bread , which are both just as simple to make.

Potato Soup

• 3 cups diced potatoes (about 3 large potatoes or 4 medium)
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
  • 1 tablespoon parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 bouillon cube
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 4-8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded or cubed

1.  Boil 2 cups water in a large sauce pan.   Add potatoes, celery, parsley, salt, pepper, bouillon cube.  Cover.  Cook until tender.

2.  Stir in milk and butter.  Cook until thick and bubbly, stirring frequently.

3.  Stir in cheese.

4.  Enjoy!

If you want it to be thicker, add two tablespoons flour to a little bit of the milk and mix that well.   Then stir the flour mixture into the soup before adding the rest of the milk and butter.  This makes it very thick!

I also add a chopped carrot to it sometimes.  I also usually use two stalks of celery instead of one.

Edited by Syreena
  • Like 1