Mortica

Ch-ch-changes!

Mortica    5

Over the next week I will be setting up a test install of a new forum system that will eventually become the new TNG. It will likely be another month or so before it goes live.

One of the problems I've been running into in finding an upgrade option is most of the forum systems I've been researching have a hard requirement that there be only one email per member. We currently have about 500 members that have more than one character on the forums. This is spanned over the 10+ years the forums have been active, so most of those aren't active.

IPBoards (https://invisionpower.com/) has an RP mod/app that will allow users to create a master account and link new "characters" to post as. Here's some screenshots:

ma1.png

ma2.png

ma2a.png

I think this will make everyone's lives a bit easier going forward for posting as different characters.

All current posts will be ported over, and you should be able to login just fine. I will be contacting those of you with multiple accounts directly to determine which one you want to be designated as the "main" account. This will probably happen either this weekend or next week.

In the meantime, if you want to have some input on which base style to use, feel free to peruse https://invisionpower.com/files/category/162-themes/. I will be customizing them to be more WoW centric, and I will continue to have a light and a dark theme, most likely with Legion-esque color schemes.

Nikaa    24

Oh wow! The funny thing is, I was just thinking last night that it's too bad there's not a function to use a dropdown of all your characters to post under, rather than multiple accounts.

Please tell me we'll still have a shoutbox!

As for styles, I really like this kind:

https://invisionpower.com/files/file/7717-spectrum-ipsfocus/

https://invisionpower.com/files/file/7641-animate-4x-ipsfocuscom/

https://invisionpower.com/files/file/8063-brave-ipsfocuscom/

Mortica    5
Please tell me we'll still have a shoutbox!

yep, it's actually built into the system. It is limited to the number of active users though, it will initially be set to 20 active users at a time, but it could be bumped up if needed. Normally I see at most 5 or 6 people at one time.

Mortica    5

Emails have been sent out. PLEASE check the email associated with your account(s) here if you have used the same email for more than one login. There is a GOOD chance this will hit your SPAM folder IF you have a fairly heavy filter setup for your email.

Currently I am setting the "primary" account as the last one that was logged in (unless you've already contacted me).

Nikaa    24

I just checked my email- I have 4 logins associated with my email that were just 'one off' postings and I don't need them anymore. Should they be deleted from the system, or is it easier to just leave them alone?

Edit: Though if they are deleted, would it delete their posts?

Mortica    5

If you want, what I can do is just not associate them with your primary account. If you ever needed to login to it and forgot your password, you'd have to contact me (or Keraph) to get access, as all of these "secondary" accounts will have their emails changed to a bogus value character@wow-tng.org.

Mortica    5

Just as an update, the test conversion went pretty well as far as I can tell. You are welcome to give it a test drive at http://wow-tng.com/.

Notes:

• * Everything there WILL be deleted. Don't post any new stories there other than as a test.
  • * Blogs are gone. No one has used the blogs here for several years minus a random post once every 2 or 3 months, so you'd have to have a really good reason to bring them back. I will be keeping the database so at worst, I can dig up an old post of yours if you really needed it, and at best, I may setup a way to see YOUR old archived blogs. Translating the member-by-member permissions settings would be kind of nightmarish, and I'd rather be conservative in what can be seen by whom.
  • * Groups are gone. There -is- a REALLY nice mod that blows the current vBulletin group options out of the water, but it will cost me a bit to purchase it, and it has a yearly renewal fee that is almost as much as the original purchase price. Groups are being used by a few people here and there, and I've seen a couple of smaller guilds use them as an alternative to getting a guild site. https://invisionpower.com/files/file/7264-group-collaboration-full/ if you want to check out the mod. Let me know if this is something that is important to you.
  • * There are currently 2 chat programs running. The one that is under the forums is probably the one I'll stick with, as I haven't found a way to put the one that actually comes with the forum on the main page. NEITHER one gives you FONT options, which makes me a bit sad. It may be possible for me to hack that, but I have the suspicion that if it were easy, someone else would have already done it. On the bright side, the one under the forums currently DOES show your icon.
  • * The theme that I modified to create the Legion theme was a dark gray/blue-ish theme, so there are a few places where you'll see some non-green colors, but I think I've eliminated any bright white spots (other than the non-under-the-forum chatbox). Let me know if you find any blinding white spots on the dark Legion theme.
  • * The character switching thing is working. Play around with it. Let me know if you want other characters associated with your primary account or if you want a different one to be your main. Alt accounts are able to do almost anything the primary account can (customize their Wall, post everywhere, etc), they just won't be able to have their passwords reset automatically.
  • * Your account will be temporarily locked out after 2 bad password inputs, which is a little low. I'm still trying to figure out if I can change that to at least 3 or 5 like most sites have.
  • * I only have a few of the forums turned on...all of the current forums will be live when I do the real conversion.

Mortica    5
Wasn't sure if this should be posted here or not but is it possible (it probably is) to tie two accounts into one on the new site?

Let me know via PM which accounts you want to combine, and which one you want to be the primary. Make sure the account you want to be the primary has an email you actually use so you'll get an email before the "real" export happens.

There isn't a way for a member to combine their accounts after the move, but I can do it on the backend, I think. I should actually test that out on the test site.

You can also just set all of your accounts here to have the same email, and make sure you login to the one you want to be primary last, as the auto-process just picks whichever one you logged into last to be the primary, unless you've contacted me and I've setup a separate process for you.

Nikaa    24

The chatbox not having font's isn't that big of a deal at the end of the day because the icons make all the difference. For me personally, the only purpose for the fonts was to quickly tell who's talking by their color. The icons solve that problem.

However, the only major issue I have with the new site is lack of shoutbox archive, as far as I can tell. The first thing i do every morning when I log on is go back and read the archive so I can see what I miss, and several times throughout the day since I get pulled out of this window frequently, and I miss parts of the conversation I'm having. It looked like there was a 'load more' option whereyou can scroll up, but it's easier to have it page by page. Is that possible to turn back on?

Syreena    59

It looks good! Very green and fel-like for Legion! :)

I like the character icons showing in the chatbox. That will make it easy to see who's saying stuff since we can't change font. (Weird that text color or pictures is quicker to identify people than the name that is right next to their words!) Is there a way to read the archives in the chatbox? I didn't see one, but it could be because there's not enough chat in there yet.

Thank you for all the work you do for us! <3

Mortica    5

hrrrm, I don't see an archive option for either chat. The one that comes with the forum -is- keeping a log, but there isn't an option to allow members to see it. I may look into some of the stand-alone chatboxes, but the couple I looked at already turned me off with their 5billion spammy ads on their websites...it's never a good sign for a product.

Keraph    16

I will definitely echo a desire and almost a need for a shoutbox archive. As the Shoutbox has become one of the premiere features of the site, the ability to see what chatter has been going on while one was away has been both nice to have and functionally informative, and I review it regularly to ensure that nothing untoward or against our rules of conduct occurred when I'm not here (Even though I'm like, always here).

I'm a little split on Groups, as we could theoretically capture their functionality in another way, but I'm not sure how much more work-oriented that would become for administration, or if we would be amenable to granting low-level moderation access so that other members of the community could manage their own...I don't know, threads or subforums or whatever we might implement to accommodate for grouped content with variable privacy. However, if there's enough of a call for classic Group functionality, perhaps we could do a little community fundraising to pitch in towards the cost of the module. I'd definitely chip in on that because I know a lot of people find the option very useful for self-organization of guilds, events, RP storylines, etc.

I might want to back up my old blogs just for nostalgia purposes, but will not at all weep for the removal of the system.

Kexti    42

I'd personally like to put in a vote to incorporate groups onto the new site. They were invaluable for keeping plot or guild discussions self-contained and avoid the necessity of extra websites. It helps avoid thread spam, and is very useful for organizers.

Also, is there any way to add some sort of threshold for when new posts are put on the sidebar? If people rapidly respond to a given thread, it can inadvertently drown out other posts in different subforums.

Mortica    5

Added a demo version of the groups application. Feel free to play around with it. The chatbox archive seems to be working fine, although after adding a few more chats, it looks like the chatbox does let you "Load More" when you hit the top/bottom of the list.