Lilliana Bloodshine

How/Why You Choose Your Characters Name?

Back in High School and through college, I was part of a Dungeons and Dragons club. The GM made this very detailed world with it's own pantheon of gods. Umathyor was the Pantheon's god of war.

My original warlock was named Erimus which means "We shall be" due to the fact that he was never alone. I stuck with the name for a very long time until I happened unto and settled upon Ravenholdt. Lo and behold the name I had used since classic was suddenly taken.

I renamed him to a nickname he had picked up previously -- Ezraeil.

He now goes by Lazarus Graysong since I never was able to reclaim Erimus. Lazarus since he was dead and brought back to life and Graysong since I just like it. (Nevermind that he is dead again. Complications you know?)

My Warlock is the only character I have whose name has any significance or purpose to me. The rest are just random choices.

Naring was actually due to WoW's Random Name Generator. Narrick the evil warlock no one has meet yet was actually an old rp i use to do on a private server. Narrick and Merrick were blood elf brothers.(Merrick was an old friend so it was a good time.)

Very interesting thread!

Ayther gets his name from dual origins. I have a fascination with all things Star Wars and of course "The Force". Naturally, one of the real world equivalents to this is Aether, which is the name Isaac Newton gave to an all permeating force acting on objects. The second origin, which when I discovered this I chose the name, is from the Greek God of the upper air which the Gods breath. This actually has several origins in and of itself. I have recently acquired a great interest in Greek Gods and have been studying them for several months. I've found a few that I like, and when I read the name Aether, it was an easy choice. He is the personification of the element of air. Now, I have also studied paganism, druidry, and wicca to some degree and have always liked the element of air, which represents knowledge and intuition. Therefore all things considered this was an awesome name for a character I would play!

Fhenrir: I liked the name of the Final Fantasy summon. Fenrir was taken, so I added an H.

Zuffid: Came up with the name a long time ago, forgot about it for years, then remembered it around the time I rolled a belf paladin (for the explicit purpose of being really annoying in PvP).

Makul: Named after a barbarian from D&D that I had named "Makulishtenalla" because I thought it sounded neat. As far as I know, it doesn't mean anything (or fit into the name generator!)

Foozle: Goblin wizard. Reference to wizards that I think predates my existence.

Leon: He's an undead hunter. Yup.

Coward: Originally would have been a tauren paladin, but I already had a tauren paladin. Now he's a monk because that's what I was leveling at the time.

Ow: I'm just showing off that I have silly names now. He's a Pandaren because it kind of works.

Scorpion: Get over here!

Cerestal was a modified generated name and in hindsight I'd have chosen one with a few more hard consonants, because a warrior screaming his name in challenge sounds better that way. Same way cursing God is more satisfying than cursing Light.

Grathier's full name was merely intended to be as unique as possible, though his intials (Barnaby Francis Grathier) are intentional because Doom and he's a hunter. Barnaby eventually became my go-to name (and appearance) for most RPGs involving a gun or bow character. :D

Anavea was a struggle to find an elf-ish name that wasn't bloody taken, and her surname Dusksinger is a screw-you to every evil elf that uses Dusk- in their name because they're evil. A beautiful red sunset (her hair is red) means good weather ahead.

Thaldis is random. He was a minor character in one of my old Cerestal stories and I never intended to have him in-game.

Bokar was a name I used back during my D&D days and have had several characters with that name. Currently, he is my abandoned human Paladin who sits around Ironforge for no reason.

I also often use the name Dekan Krow (Work Naked spelled backwards), and that is my Battletag ID.

Felonius T. Gallows was an orphan. Surnames often refer to places, and since he was found near the gallows that became his surname. The Orphanage gave him the name Philonius, but when he became a rogue he changed the spelling to Felonius.

Kayaara Sha'dota is my new Draenei Wind Walker Monk. First name came from the Random Generator. Last name is Draenic for "Gives Light" or "Light Giver".

Misti Weaver is a Mist Weaver monk. I found I am grossly inept at healing and went back to melee.

Yet is a Pandaren Wind Walker Monk. It is shortening of Yeti (the abominable snowman).

Kerchak: My favorite book happens to be Tarzan of the Apes. Since Tarzan happens to be a famous name, Blizzard disabled it as a name. However, Kerchak is named after the bull or king of Tarzan's tribe. Before Tarzan takes over of course. And since Cairne Bloodhoof was my favorite character from Warcraft III it was only natural to use that surname.

Brinks: Was created as a guild bank before they were added into the game. Everyone I knew had names like Posbank, Ibedabank, and the like. I decided to go with an armored car company. Finding a shamanic surname was harder. Since a lot of players I knew at the time had names dealing with fire or water, I picked a different element and came up with Windfury.

Zarja: Her name was simply the first five letter name from the randomizer that wasn't already taken. 

Ajraz: A friend of mine had two characters called Ajo and Oja. After he told me that he clearly had just spelled one backwards, I stole his idea. Since one of his characters was a mage and my main at the time was Zarja; it was that simple.

Way back in 2004 a few friends and I picked up a game called World of Warcraft. I was about a day late and they had all rolled on Twisting Nether so I followed. I cannot for the life of me remember what any of their character names were, I'm sure they exist in some ancient Grim records somewhere. I needed a name though and being the hilarious 16 year old I was at the time just stole my friend's last name. So that's how I landed on Emmons.

My other two characters are named after a planet in the Firefly 'verse and some scrambled letters resembling a troll name.

• Like 1

All my character names were randomly generated. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, even though it's occasionally a blatant lie. I give them the stories after the names, not before.