Tahzani

Journal of a Barkeep

14 posts in this topic

January 14th: I don’t see how leaving evidence that anyone can pick up and read will help me but for now I trust Selris’s advice. He’s a healer with experience in what makes the mind work. He’s less invasive than Lilly I would assume, but his tendency to chuckle at nothing unnerves me.

Anyway, I guess the whole point of this is to vent without chatting someone’s ear off or whining like a baby looking for sympathy. Things are okay, I guess. I wish I could break down a few more walls with Lilly but she’s a bit better about getting things out of me than I am out of her. Though it’s nice to see that she understands my neutrality regarding a lot of things. It’s not that I don’t feel strongly about anything, it’s just that getting emotional and acting rashly rarely ever ends well.

The last cantina wasn’t particularly profitable but it’s good to see that during a bad time I’ve got plenty willing to step up and lend me a hand. Though I really need to ask, why does everyone always go for the nose? It was the first time this year that my nose has been broken but there was an uncomfortable trend last year. Guess I’ll keep log of it for when I finally snap, keep track of people who have wronged me and seek retribution later. Sometimes I feel like I should have taken some sort of physical training to withstand the abuse I suffer from my allies as well as my enemies.

Vendetta list:

Konro of Nothing: Broke my nose 1 time

Shokkra of Sanctuary: Broke my nose 1 time

Kogrona of The Grim: Hit me with a table

January 14th: Though I really need to ask, why does everyone always go for the nose?
((bwhahaha, sorry had to comment!))

February 13th: Keeping up with this thing is more troublesome than I thought. Where do I even start? I realize that inducing a survival instinct and making people run is a good way to break up a fight. But painting a tavern for a N.U.K.U.LA.R. launch, even when he knew there weren’t any missiles to fire, is a great way to get everyone pissed off at us. For the genius I see in many of my associates, it’s amazing how many of them are stupid.

Vendetta list:

Konro of Nothing: Broke my nose 1 time

Megeda of Nothing: Sprayed an experimental drug into my eyes

Gunheya of Coldstar: You just read what he did

Payback list:

Kogrona of the Grim: Hit her with a table in turn

February 15th: I bludgeoned Syreena with a pony keg. I'm told that I did the Grim a favor and calmed her down but I still feel bad about it.

Vendetta list:

Konro of Nothing: Broke my nose 1 time (Possibly deceased?)

Shokkra of Sanctuary: Broke my nose 1 tim

Megeda of Nothing: Sprayed an experimental drug into my eyes (Lilly might get to him first)

Gunheya of Coldstar: Created a terrorist scare in Warspear to break up a barfight

Payback list:

Kogrona of the Grim: Hit her with a table

Apology list:

Syreena of the Grim: Knocked her out with a beer keg

March 13th: Life has a funny way of balancing itself. Good things happen and bad things happen and never in equal measure. Syreena goes crazy and keeps assaulting people in the bar, but then she steps in to defend me when Shokkra is being a jerk or other people cause trouble. The Tauren who stole from the company comes back with a sincere apology, several of the items he’d taken and a down payment for the ones he could not return and a promise to pay back what he owed when he could…Only to return five minutes after he left, demand the gun back and punch me in the face. I get so fed up with Sanctuary and the Grim’s bickering that I end up smashing a keg with my skull and make myself look like a whiny moron, but then wind up on a mini-vacation where I feel I’ve really connected with Liilly.

It’s sort of funny when I think about it, up and down and up and down. Though with how good the last few days have been I’m walking on eggshells for what life is going to hit me with when I return to normal. Maybe I should make Dess run the bar and have life hit her with it instead.

Vendetta list:

Megeda of Nothing: Sprayed my eyes with our own drugs and broke my nose 1 time

Payback list:

Kogrona of the Grim: Hit her with a table

Konro of nothing: Turns out he was a demon and is now dead (Good enough!)

Gunheya of Coldstar: Rigged a dresser drawer with one of his own explosves

Apology list

Syreena of the Grim: Hit her with a keg and despite my criticism she still stands up for me

Gunheya of Coldstar: Regardless of the slight, when payback injures the groin I owe an apology

May 9th:

I’ve found that I exist in a strange place in-between everything. I stand between several banners that all hate each other needlessly, and though I constantly put myself in the crossfire and try to mediate, nobody develops ill will towards me. I am a practitioner of the arts, one that is celebrated among my people and another that is despised universally; yet I am neither doted on nor hated for either.

I am neutral in almost every sense of the word and that neutrality is not unlike being dead. I am respected, thanked for my work, and nobody threatens me. I blend into nothing out into the open and everyone talks about everything around me, secrets that are kept from one another are shared freely within my presence yet nobody seeks to silence me for what I hear.

Power comes in many forms, but I never suspected social camouflage to have such perks.

It is a position that I never really considered. Much like your spot at a dinner table you rarely consider how you end up there and why you stay there, you just take your place when the meal is served. Now I find myself considering just how much this position means and what might threaten it. Perhaps it would help if I responded in something less vague so people would understand what I’m talking about, though nobody but me is going to see this so what does it matter?

My name is Tahzani, former hexer of the Revantusk, now an exile of my choosing for touching magic that nobody should. Before I joined the Horde I served my people by binding the darker spirits and appeasing the more malicious or whimsical Loa to bring misfortune and destruction to our enemies. When I was forced to join the Horde’s active forces I was required to learn something more quick acting and combat viable… The shadow magic and curses of the warlocks drew many parallels with my previous work and between its raw power and the demonic servants I was able to survive my time in the Horde’s army.

Naturally, such power came with a price. The fel marks me, and the stain may never be cleansed. I haven’t touched my old magic in years nor I have performed for the spirits whose aid I once sought. Despite my blight I remain confident that the malevolent spirits may still respond to my call.

But if I’m successful, I feel my position may be threatened. I am a warlock by necessity yet I avoid combat; this tends to make people overlook me as a threat (Not that I’m much of a fighter anyway). One successful hex may be all that it takes to draw unwanted attention and perhaps even requests for future work. I trusted the judgment of my elders when I focused the wrath of the spirits, I do not trust the judgment of my allies. Yet to deny them may draw ire, a feeling of betrayal and the deadly question of where my allegiance truly lies. I should not even think about doing this but once again I find myself moving too quickly and thinking too little.

If I succeed, I can only hope that Lilly keeps it secret. I should know that trusting her is not a gamble. She may be a brat sometimes but when it becomes serious, she can be trusted. So why am I filled with trepidation? Perhaps I’m just that much of a coward, terrified of even the slightest chance of making waves.

I was a fool when I was younger, but at least back then I had a spine.

Vendetta List:

Nobody Cares

Payback List:

Fond memories

Apology List:

They had it coming

((I love this. Also, the evolution of the list. <3 Tahzani.))

June 1st:

My younger self would be laughing at me for many different reasons right now, he was right. My only solace is that joy would end abruptly when he realizes that this is what awaits him; suck on that you cocky bastard. It has been nearly a month since my last entry and I suppose the events of the past few weeks are worth mentioning.

I wondered about the ramifications of my actions before I began the ritual several weeks ago. I worried about succeeding in aiding Lilly and her telling others what I was capable of. I worried about the sudden attention and requests it would bring and the ire it would bring when those requests were ultimately denied. Now I know that my position is nearly set in stone. As the deal changed, my contract was torn asunder and in the middle of a busy cantina night with plenty of people, my face burst into flames. My lips were sealed shut, my skin blistered and melted and if not for the timely intervention of a visiting elf and several healers the relatively small scar I now bear would have wound up far more disfiguring. Yet despite that and the curiosity that some people had regarding spontaneous combustion, everything returned to normal. I told the crowd that there was nothing to worry about and they just accepted it. They dispersed and went back to their conversations, hell, some of them never even looked up during the main event. My face caught fire and while people showed concern and aided me, none sought to become further involved with the problem. The veil dropped for a moment… Then I went back to being invisible.

The ritual worked and Lilliana has achieved what she has sought for years now. She made it quite clear about the importance of my actions during the whole ordeal. That sort of gratitude is not something I’m used to, very few find a warlock’s magic or a Hexer’s spell something to be thankful for nowadays. I’m happy for her, I truly am and honestly, I think this will help her start a new chapter in her life. Perhaps this small bit of peace will help remove the mask she constantly wears…or at least help her take it off more often.

Which brings me to the gripe I had a few months ago about people feeling free to just judge or criticize me and insert themselves into aspects of my life, uninvited. Nobody has told me what to do in a while and for that I am grateful but I find that some people –still- feel like they can do whatever they wish in regards to my property or me. You can just dump your mug over her head; you don’t have to blow up the keg they’re standing next to you spiky haired idiot! Though he did give me a diamond in return so I suppose I cannot be too mad. But what truly aggravated me was to return home and find that someone had broken in. I was worried that I had been robbed. Yet only two rooms had been broken into, the galley where a bottle of jungle vine wine was taken, and my bedroom.

The room was a mess, my trunk had been moved, forcefully and tipped over on its side. The furs were bunched up as if someone had been wrestling upon them and when the scent hit me, I knew that in a way, they had been. The bottle was drained and rolled carelessly into the corner and there was a print of someone’s ass on my wall! Someone had taken his or her date all the way to its pleasant conclusion, in MY bedroom!

Then I found out who had done it. My younger self would be howling with laughter and probably congratulating the kid, then ask to be introduced to the girl. Gunheya tried to joke his way through it like it was no big deal, one right-hook saw him cleaning up his mess yet he would not get rid of that stupid grin. Sometimes I wonder if I wasted the time in which I could be irresponsible like that. I’m sure my younger self would agree entirely that I did, then argue that it’s not too late.

Shut up younger me.

Vendetta List:

Gunheya: For the above stated reasons

Payback list:

The Vilebranch: Three of their ‘heroes’ will no longer hear the call

Apology list:

Syreena: Still haven’t told her about the keg incident and after all of this she deserves to know. I also owe her a heavy purse for her assistance with the ritual

Me: The list of stupid things I’ve done gets longer yet I manage to be the only one harmed by my actions

Yet despite that and the curiosity that some people had regarding spontaneous combustion, everything returned to normal

((!!!!!!!!!!!))

June 28th:

Sometimes I have a week where things just go right. Where, for once, I forget my doubts and say what I need to say without things blowing up in my face. Where people behave and where for once I have nothing to stress about. Looking over this journal, the entries I’ve written and left alone or scribbled out show that this is a rarity.

Lilly and I have been together officially for months now despite the attempts of others to either ruin it or those who seek to complicate it by inserting another factor, though the latter might be interesting. It was on the shore of a lake near Bloodhoof Village in Mulgore that I finally told her. I love Lilly. For all of her flaws and how she drives me crazy, for all the ways I still don’t understand her sometimes, I love her.  She could not speak for surprise but as we sat there on the shore, just the two of us, I could see it in her eyes. I was not alone in the feeling.

Since that night, nothing has gone wrong. The bar was profitable, despite the scuffles people were behaving, and it’s been over a week since I bore witness to any political conflict between the usual groups.  

I know it doesn’t last.

As I have said before, life balances the good and the bad. You cannot have Paradise without Inferno.  Despite the week, I can see the pieces set into motion for the next conflict. The Grim’s tome, the after effects of the Quorum, and the lack of closure from our long campaign on Draenor are all clear signs that things will soon return to a hellish struggle once more.

But for now, I am enjoying the peace.

Vendetta List:
I have people that I should pay back sometime. But for right now, it’s not worth thinking about.

Payback List:
Gunheya of Coldstar: After talking with Paiyuna, chances are that orc will never share the pleasure of her company again.

Apology List:
Words are not enough for those I have wronged. I will take action when the opportunity presents itself.

Silver Lining:
Lilliana of the Grim: Things are cemented between us. I know where I stand and both of us know how the other feels. I may never hear her return those words but to know is enough.

4 people like this

August 8th:

More often than not this journal seems to be a running tally of everything that is going wrong with my life. I know what is going wrong and that sort of thing is difficult to forget, so why am I writing this down? Maybe someday after I’m dead, someone will be scrounging through the debris of my life, read it and gain perspective. But where do I even start with this past month?

I suppose I should start with the most important events and work my way backwards. Naring attacked Lilly and tried to clap her in chains, all because of a few mean words. I probably would have never even heard about it if not for some fool goblin that decided to threaten me about some debt she allegedly incurred. I threw a letter back at him to refute his claims, which should keep his nose in the law books for a bit, hopefully. I imagine he isn’t used to people using his own beloved rules against him.

The money is of no concern. I could pay off that amount after a particularly good night with the Cantina but the real problem was Lilly’s refusal to say anything. She only spilled her guts when I had her cornered and threw the proof in her face. I learned that this was not the first time that Naring attacked her even, the ‘crazed stranger in Gilneas’? That was him too. His behavior the last several times I’ve seen him has been odd, ranging from his usual goofy perversion to bullying, screaming, and saying awful things that would be just cause for a knife to the throat in most cultures. It was something I had passed off as just having a bad day. I defended him, defended the one who has been harassing and attacking my friends for months. I had no idea.

I thought she trusted me, I thought I had broken down the walls but she still remains so tight lipped about everything that it seems she’d rather die than tell me there’s something wrong. I wondered aloud what other things she may have kept from me to avoid conflict, the implications were obvious even if they were baseless. When she sarcastically asked if I wanted a list, I lost my temper. For the first time since we’d met I ordered her to get. Months of biting back annoyance and remaining calm despite her attempts to annoy me all came gushing out. I tore into her about it all, the bill was just one more thing to remind me of all I’ve had to put up with; it was the cherry on top of the mess. In an act of desperation, afraid of losing me perhaps but halfway up the hill she was able to finally return those words to me. In the situation it felt more like an insult than a confession, as if those words would sway me after keeping me in the dark for so long.

We met up later, after I had cooled down. I’ve never felt guiltier about something I have said in my entire life. Even if they did ring slightly of truth, it never have been said, much less directed towards a loved one. We have made up and apologized, but it will be a while before anything returns to normal; the new normal at least, I doubt it can be the same as it was.

Trust is like a bone, it can be broken and shattered into a hundred pieces, but with enough effort those pieces can still be put back into place and healed. It may bear flaws compared to the once perfect piece but it can still work just as well as it once did. The flaws remind us of previous mistakes, they are something to learn from.

T’suro has nearly died three times in the past month alone. The first time I understand, as he threw the first blow against Khorvis and broke the old orc’s tusk. After that he was left to the mercy of Baalthemar and Nathandiel, an oxymoron now that I think about it. He was saved by the timely intervention of his fellow Sanctuary members but they couldn’t protect him from the next attempt. Looking back over the evidence, I’m beginning to doubt my original assumption of it being a curse. A wound was somehow inflicted upon his chest, like a stab wound yet it never pierced his armor, it reminded me of the worst voodoo dolls that my master used to make. T’suro was saved the first time by the several Sin’dorei disrupting the flow of magic around him, and then by the sloppy tactics of his would be assassin when they left the doll WITH the victim. Although in doing so they prevented the same trick from disrupting the link.

Nothing is more unnerving than a twisted soul capable of learning from their past mistakes. Yet at the same time, while they learned from one, they made another. To have slipped the doll onto T’suro’s person like that would require them to physically be there at the bar when it happened. This narrows the list of suspects down considerably, even more so when I remember the arguments of that night. I lack proof but soon enough they’ll strike again. I just hope that T’suro can survive another attempt.

To top it all off, I tore a hole in the boat. I wanted silence so badly that I summoned an infernal. Landing in the middle of the boat would have punched a hole in the hull, but even clipping it tore open a new skylight for the galley. Somebody was bleeding out on my boat and as usual about half of the people either cheered for it or just got in the way to gawk. I wanted them all to shut up, and several of them to die in agony. For the momentary peace it brought me as they stared in stunned silence, it will cost me an arm and a foot to repair.

I think I’ve hit my limit; I’m sick of the conflict between Grim and Sanctuary, sick of the constant arguing, and sick of the smug sense of superiority and self-righteousness. I am done with cults, I am done with causes, and I am done with this political bullshit. I’ve taken a break and I’m somewhere far away with Lilly. I’m not coming back for at least a week. The world itself would have to be ending before I even thought about stepping away.

Vendetta List:
Collector: Extortion of those in need by a goblin is common practice. This one however did not even have the decency to put it in writing. He’ll be writing his bills in blood sealing the letter with his own tears by the time I’m done with him.

Naring: He’s been stepping on a lot of toes lately and throwing his weight around. Something that did not used to bother me. But it has gone from goofy to downright vindictive lately. If Vol’jin still puts any sort of trust in him he is apparently abusing it for his own purposes

Assassin: This unknown hexer has attempted to kill T’suro twice now, each time it has been on my boat. The suspects are obvious, but what I lack is enough proof to give them a taste of their own medicine in clear conscience. I’m beginning to think their style of hex is greatly different from my own. Somehow they skip over requesting the Loa’s aid and just go straight for the target.

Payback List:

Soon to be filled

Apology List:

I’ll apologize when they do

Silver Lining:

Lilliana: We are working things out

2 people like this

The handwriting for the entry is far sloppier than normal and at times repetitive as if he had lost track of what he was writing. More than likely he was inebriated at the time.

January 1st:

The last line of my entry a few months ago was just a saying… A hyperbole. Apparently the universe took it as a challenge.

With so much that has happened where do I even begin? We fended off the initial attack of the Legion, costing us Vol’jin, Wrynn, and the tense ceasefire they had established. Sylvanas is Warchief now and despite the squabbling between her and Greymane it seems a large chunk of adventurers from either side are working together in groups outside the faction dispute.

We have gained our foothold and now we are picking up speed. With the Emerald Nightmare pushed back we’ve turned our sights to the Shal’dorei city of Suramar and its traitorous leader, Elisande. Just what we needed, more elves.

If I could just focus on the Legion, I would be happy. But instead, I find myself drawn into the conflict between Grim and Sanctuary against my will. I have tried to stay neutral but this time they’ve all but made it impossible. Tensions were building even before the Legion invaded as Sanctuary grew more and more aggressive in response to Syreena. Now they finally did something in response. Apparently paladins have changed since Fordring died, there was no swift death as  “justice” would demand, but weeks worth of torture, pinned to the wall by the blade of an enchanted sword.

Julilee apparently tried to deal with it properly but was unable to get past the security Cerryan had left. So she decided to call Lilliana for help. Though at this point I’m wondering if it was out of an honest need for assistance or just to kill two birds in a single strike. As soon as she saw what her subordinate had done, she decided the right thing to do would be to slay Syreena and anyone who would have stopped her.

I can’t blame Lilly for going, I don’t know what line Julilee used to attract her but she should have known anything that delusional bitch wanted probably would put her at risk. Instead she goes at it with the same devil may care attitude and nearly gets herself killed. Julilee would have slain her, Syreena, and the unborn all to avoid Sanctuary getting its comeuppance when Syreena recovered.

Julilee probably didn’t know. Hell it even took me a bit of prying to get it out of her. Lilly is pregnant… And it’s mine. In the midst of a Legion invasion, that’s when it happens. Guess it already has my luck. She’s taken means to hide it, hell we’re basically forced to. Between the Grim’s sense of duty and Sanctuary’s lunacy I can think of several people who would either use it as leverage against her, demand she get rid of it, or try to kill it immediately just for fun.

It’s a messed up world when we can’t even have this.

Back on track, Julilee failed to kill any of the three and retreated, spouting off some nonsense about justice. For once, Lilly was up front with me about what happened, but then again she was upfront with everyone about it. She’s been trying to be the mediator (Though not being obvious about it) for months but this was the last straw with Sanctuary’s actions. I feel that another civil war between the Grim and Sanctuary will erupt soon. Though now I’m uncertain if it’s a bad feeling or something I want to happen. I mean I did spend all of today plotting when I should have been working on the Cantina’s next location.

I’m so scatterbrained I can’t even keep the events in order. When I heard what had happened, I was angry, infuriated even and who could blame me? Julilee, who I have done NOTHING to, endorses my death and then tries to kill my family and my friend. I made the mistake of saying out loud that I would kill her… And Lilly smiled. There was no grim resolve in doing what needed to be done, just a happy smile that she was getting her way. That smile broke me out of my planning at around the seventh hour of coming up with ideas.

A notebook full of plots later and I was suddenly struck with an important question, why? Julilee deserves punishment, but just whom am I doing it for? My own preservation through removing an incompetent leader? Revenge for Lilly and Syreena? Protecting the child? If it’s the latter perhaps I should be directing the spell at Lilly too!

I suddenly realized the line I had been willing to cross for her, and what it would mean. If I did something that ended up getting Julilee killed, Lilliana would abuse it. The dam finally broke and I started thinking more and more about just where I stood at the moment.

I tell her to not step so close to the cliff, and she leans further over it just because she finds my distress amusing. I warn her of what could happen if she takes a solid hit, she denies the fact and laughs at me like I’m a fool.  I warn her to be careful and she goes out and gets a talking dagger from a cultist. Not something a pregnant lady should have! Who knows where it has been! Everything that made me love her, every scrap of depth and deeper meaning that she covers up with a sheet of idiocy is gone. When she should be maturing, when she should be thinking about more than just herself she returns to her old, selfish, pleasure seeking ways.

So yes, Julilee tried to kill her and the child… But Lilly has been doing the same thing almost every day with her carelessness. Every time I’ve tried to protect her I’m treated with condescension, scorn, or mockery. Then off she goes off to get in over her head and stress me out even more. She picks fights she has no chance of winning, she meddles with things that not even a healthy person should touch, makes a game out of playing with curses and worse, and once she even just stood in a Skrog’s path, grinning at me as if saying ‘You’d better step in!’

Some days, I feel like she would break her own legs just so she could blow a raspberry at my horrified face and say ‘It’s no big deal’. She doesn’t care, and I’m just now realizing that it’s not just in regards to my health or safety or even her own. She doesn’t care about anything, at all. The world is her toy box and it doesn’t matter how many others suffer and die or even how much she is hurt so long as she’s amused by it.

It took me until now to realize how low my standards have dropped. I was happy that she told me about the attack. I was happy because unlike the last time, she was forthcoming, she didn’t hide it for weeks and get angry when someone asked about it. How messed up is it that you’re overjoyed when a person tells you the truth for once? So much so that you overlook the horrible things they’ve done otherwise?

The pregnancy should have been a turning point… I know such a thing doesn’t make anything easier but I thought that she would change. She would become more responsible and put something else first. If anything she’s worse than before and I feel like I’m starting to strain and snap. When was the last time I said I loved her and truly meant it… Probably the last time we were at the campgrounds. Meanwhile the only time she was able to reply in kind was when she was afraid of losing me and I had no reason to trust her words, I still don’t. That should have been a sign but I deluded myself and tried to mend fences. I would have rather been abused than alone.

I was fully willing to kill for her and become just as bad as the worst members of either side. Doing so would invite more pain. It’s no secret that she makes a habit of testing my patience in every way. She prods and prods until I snap and she cowers… Then she does it again. Doing this for her would erase the line she has been toeing for over a year. She would find any reason to get herself in trouble, hurt, or worse and then come whining to me to deal with it.

I should have realized when I said those words and she beamed like a giddy girl whelp instead expressing grim resolve that a horrible yet necessary situation warrants that this was a mistake. She was so happy at getting me to finally fall into her world of thinking. Killing Julilee isn’t a necessity to her… It’s just fun.

I’ve repeated myself too much in this entry and half of it is complaining about Lilly. I can’t keep my promise for Julilee… But I will find a way to make her pay.

Tomorrow I’ll wake up and realize that this is ridiculous. Things will go on as they have been. I will be abused and people will do stupid things while I will try to rationalize why. I will convince myself that they don’t mean it or they have the best intentions. I won’t make any rash decisions and nothing will change.

Yet, after writing this I wonder how much more I can take. How much longer will I be the nice troll? The empathetic good guy who tries to help people bent on self or mutual destruction? How long before I stop caring and join the rest of these idiots in the rush for immediate gratification as the world ends?

Part of me hopes I break soon… It sounds better than what I’ve been doing.

Vendetta List:

Sanctuary: Enough said, these idiots have been bellowing about ideals that they’ve done nothing to achieve. I’ve tried to be neutral but now, anything that does them wrong is fine by me.

Lilliana: Despite her claims, I know that her own desires will always come before anything else. She has hurt me in every way without a second’s hesitation but will always whine when something happens to her. If she’s not going to be an adult, neither will I. She wants me to loosen up? Let’s see how she likes being with someone just like her.

Payback List:

Soon to be filled

Silver Lining:
Our world is ending and people have managed to lodge their heads even further up their own asses. If you can find the bright side to this, let me know.

2 people like this