Aaren

Aaren Anastasis

Full Name: Aarenadria Elaleana Fedraesi Anastasis
Race: Sin'dorei
Hair: Light Blonde

Eyes: Green, no different than the average.
Height: Average
Build: Slim

Physical Features: Her hair no longer covers the right side of her face as it's currently much too short to do so. Her years-old scars are now very plainly displayed: across her cheek, under her eye and her forehead above it, along with no hint that it bothers her that they're so visible now. A large network of various heavy scarring is hidden by her robes. These will generally never be seen by the average person on an average day as (relatively) few people have the opportunity to see them. A few more random and faint ones can be seen on her arms and neck depending on what she wears, but they look no more serious than what the average adventuring person might have. Otherwise, she's an average elf in appearance. She's hot and she knows it and she doesn't need anyone to tell her so.

Places of residence: Dalaran, Shattrath City (Outland), Silvermoon City
Place of Birth: Quel'thalas
Known Relatives: None living that she speaks of.
Religion/Philosophy: Things are never plainly black and white. There is no justice in the world unless you make it for yourself.
Group/Guild affiliation: She wears no colors or insignia, and claims representation of no one but herself and the Horde.
Enemies: There are plenty of people that don't like her.
Currently Known Associates: She's much less visible lately. When she's seen it's generally seen alone.
Favorite Foods: Whatever. She doesn't eat much. Tends to like savory more than anything else. She won't often turn down food with some type of berries.
Favorite Drinks: Any strong alcohol.
Favorite Colors: Deep red and green.
Weapons of Choice: Other people to stand behind that will hit things for her. Otherwise, her wit, charm, and sass.
Special Abilities: None that she speaks of, though she is very adept with healing and mind magic.

Dislikes: Jokes about addiction. She never specifies to what exactly. While not vocal about her membership to Sanctuary, or if she actually believes in their Oaths, there are few things she hates more than various members of The Grim boasting about their atrocities without a protest, while Sanctuary standing up to them is somehow the worst thing. There are many, many more things she dislikes and if confronted with them in the moment, you'll definitely hear about it.

Positive Personality Traits: Aaren will do absolutely anything she can to help others, or at least do what she thinks is right even if she doesn't like it. She usually goes to great lengths to make sure that they don't know about it, or at least the extent of her actions.

Negative Personality Traits: Loud. Foul-mouthed. Manipulating. Angry and generally very, very bitter. Tries to do everything that must be done on her own citing a lack of dependence on or more likely faith in others, and often outright ignores any advice given to her whether it's bad or good. She regularly sabotages any relationship she's attempted, or that has been attempted with her.

History: Her noble father died before she was born, leaving her and her commoner mother (scandalous!) with a family that wanted nothing to do with them. She never had a good relationship with them, though they quietly provided for the two. When Aaren came of age for proper training, the Magisters wanted her for schooling after recognizing her potential. Her noble family also insisted that she attend but Aaren decided to be spiteful and instead studied the Light.

Aaren showed a great natural talent for healing and the Light was readily drawn to her. She avoided training in Shadow to stay away from the possible parallels between it and arcane study from those that would try to sway her. Less because she was tempted and more because no one understood what no means. Still, with her talents, she grew bored with her studies, and began teaching herself how she could manipulate people without even needing the mind magic. A subordinate of Sunstrider designated her later for shadow training, however. Healing was always second nature to her, but she needed study to learn to wield shadow magic just as comfortably. Very quickly she became just as proficient with it as she did with holy magics, though the effort she used during study made her even more bold and absolute with her handle of magic.

Aaren's mother was amazing to her: her pillar and her anchor, her guide and confidant. She died in the fall of Silvermoon, which Aaren narrowly missed herself merely by chance. She of course returned right away to help aid the injured, but she never took proper time to grieve for her mother, even in the years since.

She went to Outland after the establishment of the Scryers in Shattrath to work for them. Her performance for them got her noticed, for more than her ability to get jobs done and information gathered, and she was sent on a special assignment. After a largely successful stint that eventually turned to ruin, she escaped and all but completely swore off ever using offensive shadow magic again. Her time recovering her health was spent devising and fine-tuning methods for guarding her mind from outside influence, tampering, or even merely simple sight into her memories.

After her work in Outland, she found it hard to adjust back to normal life in Silvermoon. That thankfully only lasted until the first ships were prepared to leave for Northrend. Aaren ignored all of the other threats to work for the Argent Crusade with her eyes trained on the great Citadel in Icecrown, training and waiting for the opportunity to aid in destroying the Lich King. After the victory, she wandered aimlessly. She kept no name and stayed just another face in the crowd. She healed after the Cataclysm. She quietly traveled Pandaria alone and out of the way, but the activity of the Dark Portal once again stirred memories she preferred to leave buried. Her journey into Draenor began with the determination that no one would have to repeat her actions.

Aaren tried remaining unknown and neutral and far away from other people's business in Draenor, but then she accidentally contracted a mana-draining curse and became caught up a fight against an Ancient. She was accosted by a human terrorist but proved to be more than a thorn in her side. She then repeated the same process against the human's draconic overseer after he tried making use of her, since Aaren was clearly much better at mind-magic than even the artificially enhanced human woman. For her part in thwarting the efforts of demons, a dreadlord in its death throes lashed out and warped the scars on her body, making Aaren feel like her skin wasn't her own for a long time afterwards.

She was, for once merely by chance and not her own doing, nearly killed by a rogue demon hunter and spent a long time confined bed, utterly alone and mostly broken. After her arduous recovery, she helped recover a friend from his own mishap, then aided the dark elves in Suramar with a problem in their wine. She helped reclaim Shokkra from her brother, the first thing in a long time that sparked Aaren's conviction, though it ended with her being taken by chance and subjected to horrible treatment before her own recovery. Being not much more than a recluse recently, the rare time she is active she's following Shokkra around or visiting one of the Magisters in Silvermoon, probably the only one she doesn't detest.

She's not quite the person she once was. She mostly keeps it to herself. She survives, just as she always has.

Songs: Playlist! https://open.spotify.com/user/lvburg/playlist/3h3M9M3karklM5Von1o8lv

Alive - Sia     No hope, just lies and you're taught to cry in your pillow but I survived
Harvest - Opeth     Drained by the coldest caress, stalking shadows ahead
Wasted Years - Cold     Was it life I betrayed for the shape that I'm in? It's not hard to fail, it's not easy to win
Outcast - Shinedown     Don't you know I broke the mold like a hammer to a landmine
Spade - Marilyn Manson     You drained my heart and made a spade, but there's still traces of me in your veins
Die in a Fire - The Living Tombstone     If you'll come back once more, it shall be painful, you'll see
Boston - Augustana     I think I need a sunrise, I'm tired of the sunset
Domesticated - Versa Emerge     I'm not done living in a world of experimenting. Wanna make friends with the self-destructing. I'm not meant to be your domesticated girl
Don't Know Why - Norah Jones     When I saw the break of day, I wished that I could fly away instead of kneeling in the sand, catching teardrops in my hand
Troublemaker - Grizfolk     I know it's wrong, but I love it. If you give it I'll take it because you're the trouble I want
How Did You Love - Shinedown     No one gets out alive, every day is do or die. The one thing you leave behind is how did you love?
No Consequences - Versa Emerge     I want you along with the rest. I want the world with no consequences
Chandelier - Sia     Help me, I'm holding on for dear life. Won't look down, won't open my eyes.
State of My Head - Shinedown     The only way I'm leaving is dead.
Bad at Love - Halsey     I'm bad at love, but you can't blame me for trying.

Edited by Aaren
Revisions

"Har har! Aww, Aar..." Pythral chuckles. "She acts a lil' cold, but I kin tell she's a sweet'eart....Shame she only ruts wit elfs...bet she'd be a real handful in tha sack. The orcess once again laughs to herself. "Need ta ruffle her hair up some more nex' time I see 'er...Spirits, she's like a priest-y Jeho."

Tesonii smiles at the mere mention of Aaren. She intertwines her fingers and hides in her hood, only to waggle a fist at any insinuations on behalf of the speaker.

"Hmhmhmhm...A frightful little girl trying to play with the big kids..." Morinth giggles, "I'll be sure to show her how much of a child she truly is."

Xara tilts her head and sends the person who mentioned Aaren's name an amused but weighted look.

"Don't mess with her if ya know what's wise. You'll get chewed up and spit out... and that's before the rest of us get there."

"Aaren... Aaren..." The elf draws attention to himself in repeating the woman's name with a chortle under his breath, nearby. He keeps his head bowed, focused on inking a page of an elegant leather-bound journal.

"A pretty little face, running from a past that rapidly catches up to her. She shall be reminded of her place, soon enough." His lips curl up into a grin that he beams, staring at his words written into his pad of parchment before arcane runes scramble them for the unfamiliar. He flicks a haughty wrist in the direction of whoever has found their interest in him, not looking up for even an instant.

"Oh, do not fret, my dear... That is a very good thing for us..."

"Apparently she has a problem that Xaraphyne wanted me to help her with."

"I think."

"I don't know."

"I was drunk."

"Either way she adamantly refused letting me help her with whatever it was."

"Charming, in her own crusty way. Such a prickly demeanor for such a lovely girl. Then again," Sin lets her lips pucker in a slight pout, "she tends to get find trouble for herself without considering the consequences. It's quickly becoming a pet peeve of mine. I might lock her in the dungeon if she keeps it up."

Zakael frowns a tad, "...She's not very nice.......kind of a terror....Wait...N-no, p-p-please don't tell her I said that!" The young elf flees in terror before the interviewer can reassure him.

"She's a bit of a contradiction. Kind, but with the sort of personality of sandpaper. The more she pesters you, the more likely it is that she enjoys your company. On the other hand, she's becoming the sort to place herself in danger often enough to where it's going to put everyone around her in danger. Either she doesn't value her life or she doesn't see the value others place in it." He blinks at the interviewer. "Yeah, just call me pot."

Neroxian shrugs, smiling broad and showcasing the full extent of his fangs. He rolls his shoulders as he turns from the interviewer, one might see a tinge of red on his ears.

"Heee! Aar be a wondahful girlie, such a quick tongue anna bitin' one at dat!" Paiyuna cracks the biggest smiles as she takes a drink, raising her glass to something unknown, "She gotta goo' heaht undah all dat blistah."

"Auntie Aar? Oh man, she's the best." Nok laughs, as he dips out a molten bar of slagged iron to begin hammering into shape. "Lotta people think she's stuffy an' prickly, but they don't see how good of a person she really is, she goes above an' beyond for those who earn her trust..." He looks up, smiling as his goggles reflect the light of the forge's fire. "An' we'd all do the same for her."

"There is more to her than what people see."

Kerala tilts her horns, trying to think of more words, and the flopping of her own curls draws her attention. She smiles.

"I met her once by the auction house in Warspear. We'd never done more than exchanged glances before, but I knew her to be a friend of Breygrah. She complimented my hair, I think. She likes it!" Kerala tugs at a ringlet doubtfully. "I told her I liked hers too. She used to hide behind it because she had scars on her face that I think she was ashamed of for some reason. She didn't believe me either."

"That was all we said."

"She went on her way, but not before giving me a few packets of glittering dust, so that I could feel pretty whenever I wanted to. I've seen her recently and she is changed. Her face has been healed, and her hair is worn differently. She seems happier, I think. I want to stop her and talk more. I think she is someone that I would like to know better, and...."

"That is a strange thing for me, isn't it?" Kerala wanders off, bemused regarding her own impulses and their illogicality.

"Aaren's a bitch. Like, seriously. A major bitch. Probably ranks up there with the Silver Covenant Windrunner and Proudmoore. But she's a bitch the Horde needs. Keeps people like me in check with perfect taunts and occasionally a broken bottle across the face." She gestures to the jagged scar running up the right side of her face from her jaw. Shokkra grins broadly, sharpening her knife in front of the Dark Portal. "I get it though. She's been through a lot. I understand her as best I can and know her better than anyone else thinks they do. Sure, we've had our fights but hell, she made the right choice in the end and we're fighting for justice together now." Thunder booms overhead. Shokkra laughs. "At times like this, we need a real bitch to throw against the Legion, and who better than Aaren fucking Anastasis? Other than me, of course."

"Yes, she's been in Sanctuary for some time, now," Julilee says. "It surprised me a bit when she wanted to join. She'd always struck me as..." She pauses to find a diplomatic way to put it. "...An independent kind of person, who didn't need or want the rules and customs that tend to come along with large groups. Which is probably true, but I think a part of her does want it, too..."

She pauses, realizing her comments have ventured into the personal.

"...But everyone needs somewhere to belong. And I'm glad she's chosen us. She never complains, and she never gives up."

“I know of her, yes. She’s been to the Cantina a few times when I have, but I only recently put a name to her. Based on those who recognize and speak to her and what I've heard about her second hand, she's just another part of the garbage heap awaiting the fire. But from what little I've actually heard her say herself? She’s interesting and I haven't entirely dismissed her, but ultimately I expect very little.”