Kexti

Kex'ti Dalendala [H]

Kexerian Tideriel Dalendala, Janissary of Sanctuary

Male Blood Elf Monk, Aged 135 (Human Equivalent 29)

Description: Kex'ti's grey hair is kept short, if styled. His beard is patchy, and somewhat ill-kept. His armor is crafted from the hide of a Magnaron, a gift from his commander, Julilee Liene. It is well fitting, and seethes with energy. He carries himself well, but has a notable reliance on a walking staff for a limp. His monk training was designed for stouter, rounded bodies, and has made him strong and somewhat bulky, albeit with a bit of a paunch. He smells medicinal.

Residence: Sanctaury Garrison, Dalaran

Family: Julilee Liene (Wife), Tesonii Inbetween (Friend), Rylie Tattersail (Apprentice)

Affiliation: Sanctuary, Formerly Thunder-Pan mercenary company ('Derpan colloquially)

Faith: Holy Light, emphasis on Pandaren geomancy

Known Languages: Orcish, Thalassian, Pandaren, Draenei phrases, learning Common

Weapon of Choice: Sindassi mageblade, greatstaff, fists. Proficient in many weapons.

History:

Kex’ti was born to an innkeeper and a spellbreaker. A sickly child who showed little aptitude for martial skill nor magical prowess, Kex'ti spent most of his youth listening to stories in the corner and watching his siblings squabble over esoteric texts and wooden swords. He learned how to attend to people, and to make sure their linens were clean and meals warm. His siblings learned to hunt monsters.

His family died in defense of the Sunwell, and Kex’ti inherited the inn. After the sin’dorei joined the Horde, Kex’ti was approached by a Forsaken apothecary named August Krown regarding a possible remedy for his illness. The pair fought in the Steamwheedle Cartel’s arena circuit. When bolstered by Krown’s concoctions, Kex’ti reveled in racial agility he’d never known before. His blossoming confidence allowed Kex'ti to adopt a showy combat style reinforced by dirty fighting he’d seen in his family’s Murder Row inn.

The Arena certainly promised new challenges in the exotic remains of Outland, but seeing a cure to his people’s magic addiction (and perhaps his own illnesses) was what inevitably drove Kex’ti to Outland. When his journey to Shattrath revealed Kael’thas’s duplicity, he joined the Skyguard in hopes of protecting the city of light from the traitor’s fel magic. While the Skyguard did little to diminish his Horde patriotism, it nevertheless tempered his views towards the races of the Alliance.

Alongside other Sha’tari factions, Kex’ti journeyed to Quel’danas. The draenei in particular fascinated Kex’ti, a curiosity only bolstered when the Prophet Velen awoke the Sunwell with the Light. Although his body was still in dire need of Krown’s philters, the coursing power of the light renewed his will, and Kex’ti promised to fight against the darkness of Azeroth however he could.

The duelist-come-soldier traveled with the Hand of Vengeance to Northrend, and served as a scout among the crevasses and ravines of the Howling Fjord. His service was relatively low-key, and found the pull of the arena ever more tempting under cold stars. With the organization of the Argent Tournament, his experience allowed him to continue to serve the Horde and to slake his competitive spirit. To his misfortune, Arthas’s forces overwhelmed the tournament grounds. The forces of the Crusade rallied, but Kex’ti’s friends, who he’d fought and loved beside for so long, did not survive.

Kex’ti left the Expedition, and attempted to return to civilian life as a cook in Ratchet. Without Krown’s alchemy or the thrill of combat, his illness began to consume him once again. Arthas, who’d taken from him so much, fell. Deathwing the Destroyer shattered the world, and too was slain. And throughout it all, Kex’ti cooked at a dockside tavern, and wasted away. It was summer when Wei Xo arrived in Ratchet, and over a meal, Kex’ti became his combat instructor. Pouring his experience into the young Pandaren’s sword arm, the promoter and his student traveled between the same arenas that Kex’ti had fought in, a decade past. The two grew together, and Xo and Kex’ti parted ways as the blood elf boarded Garrosh’s fleet to the Krasarang Wilds.

Seeking healing from the mystics of Kun Lai, Kex’ti wandered to the Peak of Serenity. In the thin mountain air and steaming pools, Kex’ti, for the final time, started over. Over the year, he hid away from the war. He meditated, trained, and focused. He threw away his daggers and his poisons, and in their stead learned to use his own body and common herbs. While the path of the mistweaver was a new one, Kex’ti found that, after decades, he finally appreciated his siblings’ affinity for arcane magic.

As the Dark Portal turned red, Kex’ti finally decided to leave Pandaria. Joining up with a mercenary company which had formed on the Isle of Thunder, Kex’ti joined Thrall and Khadgar’s assault through the portal.

Now, in a new world steeped in his old memories, Kex’ti sought answers to questions he’d long since stopped asking. In the process, he made a great many new friends, and joined his current guild, Sanctuary. As a member of Sanctuary, he aided in the infiltration of Highmaul, a storied tour of duty in Ashran, and organized communal defense efforts in Tanaan Jungle, as well as final assaults on Hellfire Citadel to free captives.

His valor has been tested time and time again. He fought viciously against the herald of Accalia, Vionora, and has recently joined the efforts to research and cure the mysterious Silver Sickness affecting spellcasters all over Azeroth. Against the terrorist Morinth, Kex'ti eagerly avenged damage done to his two closest friends, though he has struggled now for some time with his place in the Horde.

After long battles both internally and externally, Kex'ti and Julilee researched numerous means to alleviate his worsening illness, eventually settling on a risky ritual to balance out their lifespans. Though not cured, he certainly has a longer life ahead of him. His exposure to the orphaned human, Rylie Tattersail, has only increased his ties to Sanctuary and his hopes to continue onward.

Of late, he has organized Sanctuary's efforts in gathering and preserving relics of power and risk. Initially settling on hiding them away to keep out of the hands of all others, he has grudgingly accepted a more observational role. One with the implicit agreement to take such things out of the hands of those who would use them for ill purposes. 

After shadowy engagements with a mysterious faction called the Quorum, Kex'ti has resumed active duty in ousting the returned Legion from Azeroth. 

During the Legion conflict, Kex'ti spent most of his efforts aiding the refugees in Suramar, and exacted a personal vendetta for Remiaan on Argus. 

Edited by Kexti
Updated to Legion.
  • Like 1

"Kex'ti," Juli says slowly.

Her response is measured, but not crafted.

"I almost didn't allow him to join Sanctuary... He couldn't swear the oaths as they were written. Not precisely as they were written. But we spoke, and I came to understand what drove him, and that what he needed wouldn't threaten what Sanctuary stood for. In fact..."

She considers, again.

"He's one of the few I believe truly understands what we stand for. Not that it comes easily as breathing to him, or that any of us don't make mistakes, or that those who have a different understanding are completely wrong. But he sees the same path as I do. And that's..."

The elf stops. She looks at you.

"You may or may not understand, but it doesn't matter."

"That damn elf," Syreena spits. "Everyone thinks he is soooo nice, but he has another side--a cruel, sinister side that he hides from most. Damn elves."

She lifts a hand to where her left ear once was before Kex'ti cut it off. "I will make him pay. Some day."

"Kex is a good guy. Kicks ass. Definitely someone I'd trust to help with anything." She pauses for a moment, deep in thought, as if considering the recent past.

"And, he has. Doesn't seem to care much about what you tell him to do, but..." she snickers through her words. "I guess that's something we have in common."

Cobrak grunts, sharpening his knife as he speaks. "'E's a fuckwad who only knows 'ow ta recite that stupid pandaren monk shite." The knife is lifted up for inspection, Cobrak's lone red eye scanning its edge. "'E's wut I 'ate bout mos' elves; uppity, snooty, anna 'holier'-than-thou' attitude makes me wanna add anutha limp ta that crippled gimpin' preacher....Oi sure, 'is 'ealin' spells be alright, but I'd ratha kiss a murloc than 'ave a drink wit 'im."

"Bloody annoying elf. He's nothing more than a limping conscience trying to tell people to play nicely."

The elf pauses a moment.

"He did help my retrieve a friend from the Alliance though.  So while I do not trust the arrogant prick I do not fully discredit him."

Edited by Zanas
To account for recent developments.

Xara nods at mention of Kex'ti's name. "Oh yeah, the Sanctuary monk with the limp. Did you know he can cook? And I mean cook! Better than me, according to some people!" She snorts with amusement. "We'll see how the next contest goes..."

"Eh? What's he like? Well... A little patronizin', but he's an elf, and Sanctuary, so..." Her grin might be teasing. She leaves it at that.

"He's a fuckin self-reighteous prick that only fights when it's convenient and fucks around with the coldest bitch you've ever met." Shokkra scrapes another strip of skin off of a skull. "Still... he gives a shit about me. About all of his friends. One of the best fuckin things I ever did was meet Kex'ti. Don't fuckin tell him that though." She skins another strip of skin to accentuate the threat.

"Kex? Well..." Nok rolls his shoulders, frowning the smallest amount. "Not that I don't like him...I just feel like every time he talks, there's always a well-hidden put down or tone o' judgement...like if you're not a Sanct, you're wrong."

"Kex'ti Dalendala is a name that stays at the tip of a tongue when most get swallowed."

Kerala considers the question over-long, her expression rather serious.

"I remember, when I first came to Mulgore, this little elf was always there. When the colors of the Horns were still brown and green, I saw him. When Lomani convinced me that reviving old traditions was a way to bring the wanderers home, I saw him. He runs surprisingly well, for a man with a limp!"

"I think the very first time I worked closely with him, though, was to investigate the death of one of our Longwalkers. That is when I first glimpsed the person he is. You can tell a lot about someone by their actions. More than words, it is what a person does that shows who they are. It's in what they choose to fight for, as much as how they strike..."

"He is the kind of person I was hoping to find, when I tried to raise that old banner."

"Since then it seems he has never strayed far. Perhaps while I was observing him, he was doing the same to me. I do not know what it is he saw, and continues to see. He took it upon himself to help me when I neither asked for nor wanted such, and... he chose to fight for me."

"My sister has an unshakeable faith and I find that, in Kex'ti, the same is true, but he believes in people. He believes in the person I want to be. I hope I never find the reason to break his illusions."

"He is my friend."

"He is a friend, and one I would go to first with anything I need."  She scratches her cheek when thinking silently for several moments. "I do not know why people often do not like him."

'He fed me. I be likin him fo dat. But.... he look down on people. May it be not me dis time, but he be havin a stance like he been better den odders. Ya can be seein it in his face, he be smirkin all o de time. Been makin me want to be punchin him and see if dat be fixin it."

"He coughin a lot. An he got dat jug of stuff wit him always drinkin. I wonder if it be medicine. He be sick? May it be he got booze in it. I be powerful curious..."

"He's a fighter and an idealist. He reminds me of what I want to be," -Brinnea.

"He stood up for a people who needed him. I hope to be like him someday," -Nagoda.

"Ah, the Commander's husband." T;suro nodded. "A fine man, always greeting people with a smile, isn't afraid to speak his mind... not much of a pet person though." T'suro shrugged. "His loss. Besides that, though, it takes a lot to get him pissed. But when he is? Run."

Edited by Shizari