Altherion

Twisting Nether, a question (Both factions.)

I know not all of you enjoy Tavern RP, and some would much rather prefer Forum or PvP, but I'd like to ask everyone something.

What types of events do you like? What should the people Horde and Alliance side, who can see things going downhill, try and set up? Please post below about anything you want to do to help TN, or would like to see others try.

Any discussion is welcome on this thread, I really just want to get some opinions on things.

As someone who lives in a rather odd time zone compared to everyone else, events that have been planned and implemented, whether Tavern RP or even PvP events, are always great, but I'm often unable to join simply due to time differences. Mayhaps one solution I could see implemented would be things scheduled maybe earlier in the day on weekends? I think I'm one of the few here that really runs into the problem (Maybe not, I'm just not all entirely familiar with where folks hail from) but that could be one thing.

Other than that...my only other issues I've seen come up is threads that get started and never finished on the forums (i.e. Mob at Sentinel Hill sat for two weeks waiting on the person or persons running it to post an update) and folks not really opening arms to newcomers and sticking in their little groups as Nano mentioned in her blog. Makes it a bit dull and unwelcoming for those who want to get involved but aren't sure how. I can't make the complaint, cause I always end up missing the threads and notifications as they start, but I've noticed it on the Alliance side a lot.

What should the people Horde and Alliance side, who can see things going downhill, try and set up?

I wasn't sure what sort of people you were talking about, Altherion, until someone directed me to the shout box.

DHB is dead. The Grim is around but they are isolated and don't matter.

Then I understood who you were talking about... those people. Well, those sort of people can't really help with the answer to your question. While not as selfish as, say, raid guild hoppers or emotional snowflakes, those sort of people are not interested in a community as much as they are interested in themselves.

A few paragraphs could be put up to support that - but it would fall on deaf ears. A few more paragraphs could be put out concerning a leadership resolution among the few remaining guilds who are interested in that sort of thing... but again it would fall on deaf ears. Until the time comes that those people put on some big boy pants and decide to join the big boy league to resolve the issues they have started - you aren't going to find any resolution to something that is, truly, a self-fulfilling prophecy.

While the difficulty of starting a community was made long before those people screwed it up - the true challenge is maintaining and fostering that community. It takes a lot of work and a hell of a lot of sacrifice (both personal and professional) with very little personal reward and very little recognition. That sort of thing is beyond those people, because they are just interested in their own little thing that takes very little effort but garners so much personal satisfaction that ... frankly... any successful attempt at community is merely a new source to leech onto and suck the life out of.

Of course, those people aren't all to blame. There are those other people who have just given up. They've spent years trying to foster community and enforce a standard that, unfortunately, Big Brother (Blizzard) decided to give up on. Adding the Big B and those people just was too much for them, so the other people stopped trying or redirected their energy to other communities and other groups. After seven years, there aren't many of those other people left...

If you truly are interested in speaking to the other people, instead of those people, then I'd recommend you start looking outside of your normal circle and seeing if you can be a refreshing little ray of sunshine instead of a depressing little cloud of frowns.

I haven't seen many Grim at open events. Since I gained a high position in my former guild, I made...Well, around fifteen events, cross-faction, cross-guild, cross-server. I did extend the olive branch when I was head of DHB quite a few times, but it was always rejected or never acted upon. Duroxas, Svet, even Tyrilon showed a bunch and a few people tried all they could.

I think that, being in charge of such a large RP guild, and one of two--Perhaps the only one Horde side, now-- Means that you (And this goes out to all of the guild leaders/officers out there) have the responsibility to better the server whenever you can.

I stand by everything I've said. Isolation helps no one.

But this thread shouldn't go off topic with shoutbox things. I'd rather focus on constructive criticism. Like what Black Fox said. Perhaps events on the weekends, during the mid-afternoon, that are open to all and could stem plots. Thanks for the tip, Fox. I know most of mine have been nights on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. I can change that. =D

Being vague doesn't help things either. Those people and those Other people don't really matter if they aren't doing things to make this server a better place.

Personally I tried to get things going, made friends cross-faction to make events happen while I was part of the Grim. Yet the lack of people made all the effort I poured in not worthwhile.

Personally I feel I sacrificed a whole helluva lot to try and make this a better place. Cross-faction events I understand are tough, but the so-called rp'ers on this server can make the effort at the very least to show up for scheduled RP events on their faction.

I even got the newspaper up and running at least until my laptop died out on me, and the thing that made me sad is that no one was willing to try and help me keep it going...sadly the laptop is still dead, and I can't get to my damn templates...but that's a rant for another day.

BUt we all need to come together again as a community or we might as well just turn out the lights on Twisting Nether for the RP world.

You never spoke to me, Altherion, which shows either your inexperience with leadership responsibility or your lack of concern about full participation from at least one group of people. Masquerade and I put quite a few hours among Cataclysm attempting to have something naturally progress to a relationship between our two guilds - which I do believe you were solely responsible for taking a dump on. While the events are irrelevant, it's the professionalism (or lack of) that counts a long way towards a community - not your desire for a few extra HKs on an alt.

Things you say, regardless of location and medium, are on point to what you want to do. You want a community - specifically you want to foster a sense of community among those present (in the form of events) in what you perceive to be sliding downhill. What am I, as a member of this community, supposed to think on that? What is your purpose... your plan... your desire? You obviously don't care about a few hundred people among two guild tags - so who do you care about? Are you wanting a community of your own - or just a community with a few restrictions?

Before you think about fixing things around you, I would recommend putting some time into figuring out what you want. Once you figure that out, then work on speaking to the people who are going to help you achieve that goal. You won't like some of those people - but this (fostering the community) is not a popularity contest and you are not petitioning to be the prom queen.

I'd also recommend not to speak to any GM here about them having a "responsibility" to the community. If you want to get a GM to give you the time of day... then you need to ensure that your plan, be it community or personal, coincides with the benefit and enjoyment of their guild members... the only real responsibility they have to a job that most had volunteered for and invest a considerable amount of time and energy into.

Standoffishness is a problem, and I myself am guilty of it. Social anxieties make it worse.

I can't really add much to the debate here, my opinions being already outlined by others in the thread in words better than what I can currently come up with, but I feel I can add a suggestion to the mix... what if we resurrected the "Blind RP" thing and added a condition that the RP be done in a public place? Tear down two barriers at the same time?

Also, let's avoid getting into talk of "Well I did/tried to do this for the community BUT no one jumped in..." as well as the shirking of responsibility all that really turns into is accusations and finger-pointing, and that's the opposite of what we need to do. Who's to blame (which, by the way, is every single one of us) isn't the topic at hand, it's how we can salvage the situation we're in.

relationship between our two guilds - which I do believe you were solely responsible for taking a dump on. While the events are irrelevant, it's the professionalism (or lack of) that counts a long way towards a community - not your desire for a few extra HKs on an alt.
If you would care to explain what I did, or what earning HKs on an alt means, that would be lovely. And I don't believe events are irrelevant. I don't believe you have to be a professional to see that isolation and lack of RP kills an RP server. You just have to try.
You want a community - specifically you want to foster a sense of community among those present (in the form of events) in what you perceive to be sliding downhill.
I never said I wanted a community. I want to stop that going downhill, Abric. I'm perfectly happy with TNG and the people on it. I just want more RP, better RP, and TN to start turning around.
Before you think about fixing things around you, I would recommend putting some time into figuring out what you want.
See above.
If you want to get a GM to give you the time of day... then you need to ensure that your plan, be it community or personal, coincides with the benefit and enjoyment of their guild members... the only real responsibility they have to a job that most had volunteered for and invest a considerable amount of time and energy into.
I don't know many Roleplayers who would enjoy a Roleplay server without Roleplay. I'm pretty sure making events and trying to help everyone is far better than not trying.

Honestly, you're making it seem like there's such a large problem about my ego and some special community that I want. I want none of these things. And while I agree that you are a special emotional snowflake, let's not make this personal.

Let's try and fix the server. Because that's what I want. What plenty of people want.

----

A blind RP event thing would be lovely. I'd help you set it up, if you wanted, Svet.

I recall Blind RP night that was a fun one! It was actually how Nanori met Inzema...

I would fully support Blind RP night if it ever came back

If you want more RP events, make them. Advertise them. If you want a guild to participate, let them know, and be willing to reschedule if it conflicts with that guilds internal events.

Every single expansion becomes boring to a percentage of the players after 3 or 4 months. People accomplish whatever goals they have (hit 90, get gear, get rep, max professions, etc), and then either stop logging in as often (less people for RP), or they suddenly want to participate in more RP and can't find it, and declare CRISIS.

Is RP dead on TN? No.

Has the amount of random RP available been slowly, year after year after year, been declining? Sure. We do not have the RP population to support random RP (although I thought the cross-realms stuff was helping with that?). We will never have the RP population to support random RP. People who enjoy that have either moved on to whichever RP server is currently trendy, or have come to terms that whatever it is about TN that keeps them here, is keeping them here. We do not have any new blood coming to this server, minus a random person here and there who show up. The number of people leaving TN/quitting the game is a much larger number than new people coming in. Although that number isn't nearly as large as some people make it out to be. It's been a slow and steady decline for years.

I've only been to 2 non-Grim RP events since Panda hit. Part of it is I no longer really know many people anymore. Part of it is a few of the ones that interested me happened at a time when I was either busy IRL, or busy with Grim stuff. One I just forgot about and never logged in. Also, I think people think the only character I have is Mortica, and she's pretty much on permanent farmer duty so she only logs in for all of 5 mins to redo her little 4 plot farm.

For months now I've said TNs biggest problem is how entrenched the cliques in the community are. They're always going to happen, but when outside, perfectly acceptable, good players are being discarded because people are taking/involving friends and excluding these new people on purpose is what is killing things Alliance side. I don't think anything Blizzard has or has not done has facilitated the decline. Its mostly the hyper-cliqueish nature of TN. I'm not sure how it is elsewhere (Like I said, cliques will always exist), but it always seemed exceptionally bad on TN. We got over this in late BC/Wrath because there were more people around, but now they're gone or going.

You'll talk to some people and hear that Alliance side Rp/PvP/PvE/whatever is fine and dandy and nothing is wrong. This is kind of a fairy tail. As for the Dusk Watch, we have new people, but they are either planning on quitting the game (Like Nano), or considering simply leaving for the reason I stated above.

I was the initial poster of the Seeker stuff, but I didn't end up getting any involvement from people Alliance side that were not within the guild. Its true that I piggybacked off the Dusk Watch to start it, but it was certainly (And I was hoping, but it didn't happen) meant to have non-DWers join in and foster RP. I don't control the current Seeker stuff, but I have a feeling the same thing is going to happen/is happening. Although, it is true that one of the reasons I stopped posting for a while is because several people sought to take over the story arc for their own characters, but it eventually came to a point where I considered it simply a failed endeavor on my part, and I passed it off to a friend.

You just get tired of repeatedly trying and failing.

This song has been sung literally as long as the server has been around. Break away from your guild, use the channels that have been set up to encourage Alliance side/ Horde side communication, and meet some new people. I guarantee you that you'll have more fun arranging a random meetup for 2-3 people in the middle of nowhere in this game than sitting in an inn, or sitting on these forums going back and forth over a General Hospital plotline.

RPPvP. My favorite.

RPing out on the field - whilst ill inn rp sometimes, I feel that whilst most of our characters are epic scourge lords, paladins, warriors and heroes, Except on forums, I don't see them actually do RP out having a fight that much.

Inn rp is good, for it is what alot of people would judge the server on at first glance, but I feel our heroes of Azeroth spend to much time drinking themselves stupid and being all social (enjoying life and all that bs) rather then being ADVENTURE TIME LETS GO SAVE/KILL SOME PEOPLE, PROTECT/PLUNDER THE VILLAGE.

I also think TN rp is lacking but nothing like dead. Most of us are heavy pveers or pvpers, and when someone wants to RP, everyone else is out killin the humans and stuffs.

Just me.

People talk about reaching out a lot. I think it's a good idea but if everyone discusses it why does nobody do it? Not that I'm an authority on RP or anything; I started seriously doing it only a few months ago and I'm still too shy to contribute as much as I should, but there is a lot of ego around here. Maybe I'm an authority on ego since mine is about the size of Africa.

Necro is right; there are a lot of cliques around which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's hard to connect or expand when you have drama or otherwise feel it'd be beneath you to reach out to a newbie.

I think there are a lot of good people here who do wonders for the community (many in this thread) and there are more than enough of them to make something awesome happen if they all came together.

I seem to meet new people and random RP more than stated, but when I see a TRP2 name and they don't look busy, I attack. I admit it might be easier to approach someone you already know and have a history with, and some might find tavern RP unfun, but that's where it starts. There is constant interest in TN and you have to reach out with a warm welcome and offer a hello. Unfortunately, we all run on different schedules, every guild raids or RBGs at different times, people have their own lives, and sometimes it's hard to find people or get a group together at one time.

Duel Club seems to get a good turnout and I encourage events like that, but some people seem to not enjoy large planned events for their own reasons. You can't make everyone happy, but I do encourage more open events like that. I have a few others in the works. There's a master invite list for such things!

I have also noticed ones that I used to see out in the open RPing (In taverns, around the city, the like) that I don't anymore, but they're still active on WoW. I ask myself why. What changed?

I also noticed I never get griefed anymore. Like, ever. What's the meaning of this?!

Oh, and if you see me, please feel free to say hello!

Patrols are well and good Kylok, but when a group of five gets stomped by a group of twenty, I can understand why people stopped doing those.

That is always hard to do, cause then you got the leaders on both sides having to either scramble to TRY and find people or have so many people that people get left out.

Easy

Grim: HEY DUSK WATCH

DW: yeah

Grim: *kill all the humans*

Dw: no we love humans

FIGHT

But seriously.. Im pretty sure we are liked rials. We'd just start cutting each other for no reason