Altherion

Twisting Nether, a question (Both factions.)

Being that ridiculous and stupid can turn off people just the same. Logging onto Horde side and hitting RP to see 'butt rape' and other lewd comments isn't the best if you're wanting new blood to feel welcomed. Or be taken a little more serious and less troll-like.

I'm not saying to be a complete negative grouch. Just balance things a little.

Oh c'mon, it's practically a fact that Alliance side is more serious than Horde side. The events proof this because a lot of Alliance rp guilds are militaristic, like every DW event I went to was political and awesomely serious. On Hordeside we have more casual events like party at the steam pools and lazer tag lol. All the clique examples that Alth sent me (which happened to be most of the Horde RP community) are friendly people! They can't be exclusive because they wouldn't hurt flies.

And grouches can go be judgemental if they want and refuse to come to events. That's fine.

This thread is getting painfully off-topic. Can we just establish that perspective is a weird thing, we're all to blame for the lack of RP, and move on to making solutions already?

...please?

Hordeside does not do it. Unless you count Alth and Reroma rping alone in arathi or w.e with their kid exclusive, Hordeside is not exclusive.

I don't like how immature and rated R Horde side RP channel is sometimes. It goes beyond adult themes, it dissolves into children who just learned curse words. I've noticed with some of the "returning members", they just call people names and don't really RP...

As for me and Reroma RPing, that isn't particularly exclusive. No one knows where they live. But it's a small world and not 100% safe anywhere. If you asked, Ugraz, to discover it by accident, that may work out. No one has, yet. -shrug-

This thread is getting painfully off-topic. Can we just establish that perspective is a weird thing, we're all to blame for the lack of RP, and move on to making solutions already?

...please?

I'll remind everyone, Blind RP, Patrols, War Games. Let's think of some more RP event ideas. I was wondering if we could have a big cross-faction thing like we had a few years back, maybe post it to Youtube, have people see the TN name. But I know that's a really grand idea.

I'm just going to be honest and blunt here..

1: I think being immature OOCly on WoW (A cartoon video game) is fine. If anyone got seriously offended and psted me I would stop (You know, unless it's about my toon ICly calling your toon a bad name)

2: "we're all to blame for the lack of RP" Nah, I don't agree with this. There are many horde rpers that have planned events and tried to help rp, mostly Myself, Nanori, Lixxel and Altherion. We have all spent thousands and thousands of gold, hours of time and we've done a lot of planning for these events. And there are awesome people that always come to these events, like Reroma, Duroxas, Bels, Tyrilon, Orgruk sometimes etc etc. I don't think it's fair that you say we all share the blame when I hardly see you at events (1 tavern night and Alth's bug thing?) and I never saw you host an event. I'm not trying to be a d-bag but the work that some of us put in is much more than others put in. and thats FINE just don't put us all in the same boat.

3: The only clique on hordeside that could even be considered a clique is ...what.....bels duro keya and svet? and It's not even a clique...it's just like belf rp....recently they're all in one zone and don't come to open rp as much and they might ICly exclude people but they're all still nice and deserve their own private rp when they want it

4: And anyone that plays both factions knows the Alliance has more serious characters and serious plots than Horde does. This is not a bad thing. That being said, my opinion: Alliance probably has better RP whereas Horde probably has more godmoders. Although, Alliance probably has more IC/OOC drama than Horde does, because most of the time Horde is casual.

Now you don't need grand schemes to "fix" the server. Rp isn't doing well BECAUSE WoW isn't doing well. Orgrimmar is so friggin' empty, there's your proof. People just need to organize events, whether they are creative or normal, and people need to attend these events. We should start putting more things on the calendar and inviting everyone and ADVERTISING them in rp chat, and let's start using ULRS again to advertise said events and keep rp flowing

On that note, I'll start planning more events. Sorry if I made you feel bad/annoyed you.

I kept saying that as a general means to stop people from continuing to sit around and point fingers instead of come up with solutions.

I already said I was guilty of a bit of standoffishness, but what's the purpose of sitting there and accusing me like you are, Ugraz? My health has been a major factor in a lot of this, and I do in fact feel bad about it and am trying to fix it.

Can we just start talking about solutions already instead? Fel's sake, people.

I will come right out and say, yes, I can be cliquey. Without a doubt there are days where I am even unsociable towards others because I am wrapped up in some plot twist that I want to resolve so that my character won't be in some weird time-suspension because of x,y,z reason.

Even though I might be hiding away in some weird place in Azeroth, does not mean if you were to suddenly appear, that I will not rp with you, or add you into the equation. In fact I find it thrilling when someone successfully eavesdrop on an rp and it throws more plot twists and turns into the mix. I have told numerous people that if they ever want to rp with me feel free to poke me. In fact 80% of the time I will add them to my real ID so that they can do just that. Does that mean it is their 'fault' that they don't contact me? No. Not at all, sometimes I will think of random things to involve others into an rp, even if something as small as handing them a letter to give to someone else; from that point it is in their hands if they want to get involved or just pass on the message and move on.

-- Ending that mini rant at being called out for being cliquish and onto some things I think will help.

I believe everyone, including myself, needs to start saying 'sure, why the fel not?' when an rp opportunity comes up. If not on a main toon, then on an alt to help you develop that character more. If you do, do that, then that is awesome, you keep being fantastic.

Also OOC anger. Yes, you do not like that person, but when you think about it.. are they a good role player? In the past I have come across people I did not much care for oocly, but I'll be darned if they weren’t a spectacular role player. For that reason alone I would interact with them ICly while minding my business oocly and everything would actually work out fine.

In the case of who starts events and who doesn't; some people are just not that savvy at coming up with group events. Some people are better at elaborate plots while others like light hearted group events, and occasionally you find an amazing group rp that twists into a giant elaborate plot. RP style DOES come into play when it comes to who rps with who and who goes to what events.

Me personally? Group events intimidate me, too much wall of text and I feel like I've lost focus and no longer retain interest. This is no one's fault but my own. It is not meant to be offensive to anyone or make them think their event bored me; I simply get disoriented in group rp easily. I know others feel the same way, whether they admit it out loud or not.

Blame game will not 'fix' the rp on the server. Recognizing rp strengths, interests, and exciting locations in Azeroth, will. The original idea of this thread was refreshing to see, not the blame game it has turned into.

So please.. can we return to actually stating what events we would like to see? It will help everyone realize potential rp partners as well give a good perspective on what a lot of us want to see done as far as events are concerned.

sometimes I will think of random things to involve others into an rp, even if something as small as handing them a letter to give to someone else; from that point it is in their hands if they want to get involved or just pass on the message and move on.

I can vouch for this and please don't stop doing it. That was really fun despite being such a small thing.

Some RP solutions I’d like to propose. (Note, some of these ideas may have been done already prior to my coming to TN. Please feel free to discuss potential.)

1. TN server-wide RP plot:

Concept: Some plot is decided upon, and every guild, both Alliance and Horde, has a stake in the outcome of the scenario. Think of it as our very own “Dark Portal Opens” “Ahn’Qiraj War Effort”, or “Operation: Gnomeregan.”

Procedure:

- Participating guilds elect 1-2 members to partake in planning the event.

- Area and plot is chosen.

- Guilds ICly inform their guildmates about the new campaign, the rules, how the guild wishes to handle the situation, etc.

- Players participate in the event, whether supporting their guild’s cause or having their own personal stakes in the matter.

- Personal plots and experiences can be posted on the TNG

- A timeline is set for when this event ends. (example, 1 month)

- After event expires, story closes. Results are considered TN lore.

Pros:

- A chance to RP with others, while not having to forsake one’s own personal plot / hidden agenda towards the ongoing plot.

- Provides a situation and environment that brings out the personality of characters and guilds participating (tavern nights are awesome but can degrade into overly casual small talk over time, especially with new RPers or those rolling new RP toons with not a lot of history or sense of RP direction)

- A bit of World PvP

- Progression of TN server lore.

Cons:

- Who “ought” to been involved in initially creating the event and managing OOC drama?

- Not as dramatic an event if not many RPers are logged in at certain times.

- OOC drama relating to victories over another party/guild

- Location may limit lowbies from participating effectively

2. New RPers-Recruiting Contest

Concept: An OOC-contest, where participating guilds keep track of how many new RPer recruits have been made within a given time frame.

Procedure: During regular guild recruitment, ask the member to sign up for the TNG and post on a thread (perhaps the welcome thread) to count as 1-point for that guild.

Whichever guild has the most points at the end of a certain time frame (example, 2 months), wins.

Pros:

- Actively bring more RPers to TN

- Discover ways to convince longtime non-RPing TNers to RP

Cons:

- What's the incentive for guilds to particpate in this actively? Reward system?

- Easy to cheat (sign up an alt); may be difficult to enforce against cheating

- A lot of going out of our comfort zones in order to reach out to others

- Griefers during ingame recruitment

3. Guild vs Guild Infiltration Missions

Concept: Hold bi-weekly one day events where one guild must secretly infiltrate another guild's "base" within a one day time limit.

Procedure:

- 2 guilds are scheduled to “battle” on certain day.

- 1 guild is on offense, the other is on defense.

- The defense guild picks an IC location to keep watch and defend an NPC, character or TRP2 item in a public stash over the expecting time of attack

- The offensive guild must find a way to kill that NPC, character, or loot that TRP2 item within the time limit (example: 8 hours)

- Individual battle encounters can be actual PvP (if cross faction), or duels (if same faction), or other

- Be Creative! Strategies involving keeping watch, attempting to RP negotiate peace with the opposing guild, distractions, emotes, sounds, etc.

Pros:

- Reinforces guild lore, based on choice of battle location, targets, reason for battle, tailgating RP, etc.

- Fun strategizing can take place beforehand

- Suspense of not knowing exactly when the attacks will be made that day

- Being a stealthy Rogue in RP pays off

- Time to RP in between attacks

- The two guilds may agree upon different rules.

Cons:

- Limited by the number of participants

- Large guild versus small guild advantages

- Lowbies may have difficulty fending off lvl 90s.

- OOC dispute over the winner.

Those are some really awesome ideas Tuuroto, and if planned properly have great potential... but I really wish you didn't have to use a different color of text man. I use the grey background for TNG and I can't see a word of what you wrote unless I highlight it all. Just bringing that to your attention.

My opinion on the thread overall: I want to plan more faction-wide events on Alliance side, beyond just the tavern night, though I don't want to just cut the tavern night away completely.

The point of tavern RP is to give everyone a location to actively talk about the RP they're involved in with their characters, as well as gives other people not yet involved the ability to jump in and contribute. I don't necessarily agree that we have cliques on Alliance side who actively go out of their way to avoid people and not interact with them. But you can't expect people on the internet to actively try to include everyone around them as well. I try to do it, but that's just because it's the sort of personality I have.

I find a lot of the time RPers of all levels have a tendency to create their character's backstory, even make good ones, and then they just... wait. More often then not I don't see characters with active goals or things that they're working towards. I myself have not had any major plots that center around me because I've ignored this as well. All of my character's RP has been focused on stopping the Horde, but all of his efforts remained focused on just fighting them instead of looking for ways to strengthen the Alliance, or weaken the Horde through fighting. At the same time he's actively working on a new weapon and new armor because of personal reasons. These are goals that drive him forward, and drive me to RP him more.

People cannot sit around and expect others to take them into their personal stories or plots. You need to take the initiative, decide what your character wants and RP -at- people to get things going. If they in turn tell you OOCly that what they're currently doing is some sort of private RP, it is my opinion you should respect that. But until they say that OOCly, nobody should assume that people don't want you around or are actively trying to keep you out of the RP.

You should talk about how to fix it no whats wrong with it.

I think we should all start reaching out, i don't think relying on new people to involve themselves will work.

I also think we prioritise raiding and pvp to much, and should start putting RP first.

Skipped a page! Woopsies!

Im amazing

Don't even have them planned, that ruins everything unless theirs background behind it, say lore or something. And yes I completely understand that Nano, but I'd rather that group of 5 get stomped than nobody even try.. If people see theirs a group of folk still trying, they will join and over time it will even out. If not, well my idea was horribly false and therefore I should be nut checked or something of the sort.

Urivial, I know I once had a discussion with you about people who do sit around and wait, and I know with Cara I am guilty of doing that right now. We did both agree its a bad way to write a character, and I've been trying to come up with ways to fix that with my character, but one issue is the exclusivity and the abundance of so much private RP happening. I've even run into an issue that at times people use phased areas to RP between themselves when I actively try to go in and start something. Server wide RP is a great solution to this, but I do think that at times people need to be willing to let that private RP storyline spill out into the community. In real life, you can't always cover every exit, and stop every prying set of eyes from finding out about something. I do understand though, that not everything belongs in the community as well, and would reflect badly on us if something we strictly wanted to do privately always got out, but I think sometimes folks do need to be willing to let go of their control on every storyline from time to time.

It's just my own belief on the matter though. I'm guilty of trying to hold on too hard at times as well.

I think we should get to a level where we can just attack people for RP and not assume we're unwanted or get shy. We must also promise that if something is private, make it clear and offer another RP another time. Otherwise I'd like to feel safe to assume most RP is open for more twists, drama, and regular fun.

2. New RPers-Recruiting Contest

Concept: An OOC-contest, where participating guilds keep track of how many new RPer recruits have been made within a given time frame.

Procedure: During regular guild recruitment, ask the member to sign up for the TNG and post on a thread (perhaps the welcome thread) to count as 1-point for that guild.

Whichever guild has the most points at the end of a certain time frame (example, 2 months), wins.

Pros:

- Actively bring more RPers to TN

- Discover ways to convince longtime non-RPing TNers to RP

Cons:

- What's the incentive for guilds to particpate in this actively? Reward system?

- Easy to cheat (sign up an alt); may be difficult to enforce against cheating

- A lot of going out of our comfort zones in order to reach out to others

- Griefers during ingame recruitment

This is an amazing idea, but in a small guild like mine (2 active members) there is no way I'd stand a chance against DBH or Grim because they are lvl 25 guilds.

Same with the Guild Vs Guild.

But they are wonderful ideas.

Thanks for the all the input!

@Uri, my bad. Didn't even think about the other website colorscheme. I'll get around to changing my other posts' colors (although I'll miss playing around with font colors. :P). Also, I totally did not mean to stop tavern night! Quite the opposite. It's the only sure-fire RP regular event we've got!

But until they say that OOCly, nobody should assume that people don't want you around or are actively trying to keep you out of the RP.
I'm quoting you on this. Better watch out all you Alliance RPers! Varm pleasure smiles.

Oh c'mon, it's practically a fact that Alliance side is more serious than Horde side. The events proof this because a lot of Alliance rp guilds are militaristic, like every DW event I went to was political and awesomely serious. On Hordeside we have more casual events like party at the steam pools and lazer tag lol. All the clique examples that Alth sent me (which happened to be most of the Horde RP community) are friendly people! They can't be exclusive because they wouldn't hurt flies.

And grouches can go be judgemental if they want and refuse to come to events. That's fine.

It was the exact opposite as you are describing pre-Burning Crusade. Jus' sayin'.

Blood Elves changed basically everything.

For me personally, I go through large swaths of time every now and then where I don't want to roleplay whatsoever. It has nothing to do with the community I just lose interest in it for a while.

I was a Raider first before I got into roleplay. So while I do find it interesting, fun, and a way to write creatively, when my interest in WoW begins to wane, roleplay suffers first.

I'm the exact opposite on this. I tend to create characters that are so immersive that it's really not possible for me *not* to be in character on whatever I do.

It was the exact opposite as you are describing pre-Burning Crusade. Jus' sayin'.

Blood Elves changed basically everything.

I'm the exact opposite on this. I tend to create characters that are so immersive that it's really not possible for me *not* to be in character on whatever I do.

1: That was six years ago. You could also pretend Death Knights are at fault..or Pandaren..or monks...I don't really see how this is relevant

2: You can't be "in character" all the time. That's just ridiculous. Your character takes instant zeppelins across the world? Your character suffers a serious wound whenever he/she 'dies' in game? A character's kill count is 486471 enemies? Your character personally meets every important lore character and also -works- for them when the world is in danger? I can understand being in character most of the time, but it's impossible to be in character ALL of the time. Otherwise everyone and their mother would be best friends with thrall/malfurion/garrosh/varian/wrathion/alexstraza/thebronzedragonflight/etcetc.

1: That was six years ago. You could also pretend Death Knights are at fault..or Pandaren..or monks...I don't really see how this is relevant

I was around. I saw it happen.

2: You can't be "in character" all the time. That's just ridiculous. Your character takes instant zeppelins across the world? Your character suffers a serious wound whenever he/she 'dies' in game? A character's kill count is 486471 enemies? Your character personally meets every important lore character and also -works- for them when the world is in danger? I can understand being in character most of the time, but it's impossible to be in character ALL of the time. Otherwise everyone and their mother would be best friends with thrall/malfurion/garrosh/varian/wrathion/alexstraza/thebronzedragonflight/etcetc.

You're being obtuse and inflexible. It's really not as hard as you make it out to be. I understand a lot of people just don't have the ability to be in-character all the time, regardless of dungeon, battleground, raid, etc., but I do.

We shall all fight to the death for new recruits.. last man/woman alive gets the recruit. Yep, every time a new recruit spawns we come to life once more to fight.. only way to assure balance..

Copy+pasting what I sent someone in a PM here. Some horde event ideas that I'll host.

1: A Hunt- The host has an alliance prisoner and invites everyone to see. Everyones shows up and the host explains they're going to hunt the prisoner. He releases the prisoner and the prisoner has 5-10 mins to run through the zone, on foot, and then the Horde rpers are allowed to go and 'hunt' the prisoner. Ugraz can be the character that is the host, or I can be the prisoner on one of my alliance toons (it would be a diff. character ICly, not going to kill off my alliance rp toons :P) and then when someone finds the prisoner, they kill it (doesn't really fight back) and then we have a feast in their honor. Maybe eat some nice pig or w.e

2: Horde History- We start RPing at historical Horde places. I.E. blackrock mountain, dark portal, garadar, durnholde keep etc etc, and we discuss the rich horde history and then we attack alliance towns nearby. P.S. I'm doing the blackrock one tmrw at 8 PM (jan 25th). I'll send u invite on calendar

3: Twilight Highlands Horde vs Dusk Watch- I planned a PVP event with Urivial and the dusk watch. Whatever horde rp-pvpers want to come can come, as long as the numbers are equal (GRIM has amazing pvpers so they'd be welcome and appreciated) it will take place on friday the 8th of february, at 8 pm. It will be in twilight highlands on the zeppelins and it will be fun! I'll send you an invite on calendar

4: Assassination Game- Lets say 10 people show up in org, we have 5 alliance NPC names. each names goes to 2 people. First person to kill that NPC wins gold (I'm willing to pay this) so it's a race to kill your target.

5:Capture the flag in Elwynn- We can put down physical flags or something or sometime, we'll see, but if we do it in elwynn with two teams, there will be the constant threat of Alliance I thought that would be cool